• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~ They're leaving the nest, sew it's time for a trip - or two - or three...~~ D~'s bag ~9/22 ~~

I hope your dad is doing better today.
LOL, no I do not play volleyball. My daughter plays for her college. I am just the cheering section, water girl and snack provider when I go. I don't usually attend the away games, by the time I get done with work and arrive at the game it's almost over.
Glad the girls had a great first day.
Have wonderful weekend!!!

I think that's an awesome pace for where you are in your training! And the hills might get annoying, but they are definitely helpful in building your leg muscles and endurance. I just had a hill workout this morning where I ran the same hill 5 or 6 times and it went great. :) You're going to have such a fun time on Sunday. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks! I just feel like I am so slow... and I sometimes look at my shadow while I am running and I think I look awkward? I am tempted to have Josh do video of me tomorrow to see if I run as strangely as I feel like I do. LOL Igor....

I am excited for tomorrow, but I am nervous too... I know I can do it - I have no doubt. I am most worried about parking and picking up my stuff - I've never done it before and I am not sure how it's normally done? Hopefully, once I get there - it will all be self explanatory? DH will be with me, so at least I won't be alone. ::yes::

Thanks for the confidence booster! :hug:

I hope your dad is doing better today.
LOL, no I do not play volleyball. My daughter plays for her college. I am just the cheering section, water girl and snack provider when I go. I don't usually attend the away games, by the time I get done with work and arrive at the game it's almost over.
Glad the girls had a great first day.
Have wonderful weekend!!!

Me too... I wish I had the time this weekend to run up there to check on him for myself. I might have the time to go next weekend though.

Oh - OK - I think I was confused... Which happens a lot. ::yes:: I bet you make an excellent cheerleader and snack provider! :woohoo: Way to go!!!

They did... It's nice to have them back to school - although logistics with Allison driving now are sometimes sketchy. :scratchin

Thank you!!! You too!

*********************************************************************************

I had a great day yesterday... The weather was glorious, and I just love fall! Well, truth be told, I love every season, except winter. ::yes::

I dropped the girls off at school right away and stopped off at Walmart for a couple of items. Then the bank. Then BFF's house.

We decided that a trip up to Trader Joe's was in order... ::yes:: I just love Trader Joes! As usual - I spent more there than I should have.

Then we went back to her house, because I'd purchased a few items that needed to be frozen. And we played with her new cat - Zoey. Oh and had lunch too - she'd made home-made California rolls - they are super delicious!

After - we decided to run to the big Target store... We only did a little bit of shopping.

Then Aldi's for produce... Not much for produce anywhere right now. Sad that summer is over and fresh local berries are gone.

Picked the girls up from school... Bought my walking pass for the school this season... grabbed pizzas for dinner.

Came home, made dinner and sat on my tablet all night. I was not very productive.

However, I did have to dig out the laptop to look at something - and I decided to browse through my old phone photos folder... I found a "before" picture that shocked me... Taken in November of 2012. I'll post a picture here as a teaser... I have updated my healthy living post with more talking about this picture and how I feel about it - then and now. Here's the link to the post - to make it easy... The update is at the bottom. ::yes:: http://www.disboards.com/threads/th...t-trip-or-two-or-three.3388850/#post-53230897

FB_IMG_1442022372434-1.jpg

Today... I have to run to town this morning.... I have a few left-over errands to run.

I hope to work for a little while, possibly go for a nice easy walk, and spend some time on my tablet. :thumbsup2

Tomorrow is my big day... My first 5k race... I am excited and nervous. I know I can do it, but I am still nervous. ::yes::

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Prayers and Pixie Dust to all! :grouphug:

D~

D, I've been off the DIS for too long (moving, unpacking, getting kids settled in school and job hunting will do that to a gal ) but just logged in and read your most recent health update. You look fabulous!! I know it is often a struggle for people to "see" themselves in a new way, but trust me, we all see it. Congrats on taking up running. I am trying but it will take me a long while. Good luck on your 5k! I'm sure you'll kill it. Now off to look back for some puppy pics, although I'm sure he has grown a ton in 3 months!!

-Michelle

I am tempted to have Josh do video of me tomorrow to see if I run as strangely as I feel like I do. LOL Igor....

Igor! :laughing: Do you think it may be your shoes? I don't know if you went and got fitted for shoes when you started running. At good stores they'll watch you walk and then recommend you a shoe based on your gait. RoadRunnerSports.com also has a cool tool called Shoe Dog that will narrow down shoes options based on things like weight, mileage, pronation, etc.

I am most worried about parking and picking up my stuff - I've never done it before and I am not sure how it's normally done? Hopefully, once I get there - it will all be self explanatory?

This is how it goes for me: Park, walk to the Start area, find the tents that are distributing bibs. They're divided out alphabetically (A-C, D-G, etc.). You tell them your name and you may have to show ID. They give you the bib and you pick up your 4 safety pins so you can attach it to your shirt. The same person may give you your race shirt or they will direct you to an adjacent tent to get the shirt/any other race swag. Then I walk back to the car to put the shirt/swag in the trunk since I'm not going to wear it during the race, attach the bib to my shirt (front, below the boobage area), and walk back to the start area. Then I mill around depending how much time there is until race time. Portapotties are available, water, usually bananas as well. The PA announcer will direct you to corral up and there are usually signs with pace times on them to help you sort yourself into the group. Hope this helps a little!

XC Girl Problems:
fb41b8e6a0d6a65ac94fb2e2f2f98caf (236x217).jpg

We've done the color run 5k several times and some other run/walks. Usually there's a packet pickup the day before somewhere so on race day you just park, join the crowd at the start and go. There's always packet pickup race day but we've never done it. Have fun!

D, I've been off the DIS for too long (moving, unpacking, getting kids settled in school and job hunting will do that to a gal ) but just logged in and read your most recent health update. You look fabulous!! I know it is often a struggle for people to "see" themselves in a new way, but trust me, we all see it. Congrats on taking up running. I am trying but it will take me a long while. Good luck on your 5k! I'm sure you'll kill it. Now off to look back for some puppy pics, although I'm sure he has grown a ton in 3 months!!

-Michelle

Hi Michelle!!!! It's great to see you back! I hope you are getting settled and the kids are doing well - adjusting to school?

Thank you!!! Some days are tougher than others... That picture I posted yesterday really hit me hard... It's easy to be ashamed and proud in the same moment. ::yes::

Thanks for stopping by! LOL _ I haven't posted any puppy pictures lately... I need to do that. He is almost as big as MM! Gulp! And not very nice to him. :( Poor MM.

Igor! :laughing: Do you think it may be your shoes? I don't know if you went and got fitted for shoes when you started running. At good stores they'll watch you walk and then recommend you a shoe based on your gait. RoadRunnerSports.com also has a cool tool called Shoe Dog that will narrow down shoes options based on things like weight, mileage, pronation, etc.

This is how it goes for me: Park, walk to the Start area, find the tents that are distributing bibs. They're divided out alphabetically (A-C, D-G, etc.). You tell them your name and you may have to show ID. They give you the bib and you pick up your 4 safety pins so you can attach it to your shirt. The same person may give you your race shirt or they will direct you to an adjacent tent to get the shirt/any other race swag. Then I walk back to the car to put the shirt/swag in the trunk since I'm not going to wear it during the race, attach the bib to my shirt (front, below the boobage area), and walk back to the start area. Then I mill around depending how much time there is until race time. Portapotties are available, water, usually bananas as well. The PA announcer will direct you to corral up and there are usually signs with pace times on them to help you sort yourself into the group. Hope this helps a little!

XC Girl Problems:
View attachment 123462

Yup - I went to the Running Store and I was fitted for shoes... So I am pretty sure I am wearing the proper ones. Looking at how my shoes wear on the bottom- it looks to me that I might be "shuffling"... So, I am really going to start working on making sure I am rolling my foot when I land, and pushing off... Not today - I don't think at a race, in front of people, is the best place to try to modify my gait - that could be bad... but starting this week - I am going to focus on that.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me... I knew it would probably be pretty self explanatory, but - I dunno... Sometimes, in some situations, things are done differently - and I always hate to be that one awkward person. LOL

Hahaha.... Love that! I've allowed myself another 20 min to finish my coffee, and I've been drinking water in between. I'll stop at about 5:30... and just sip from there out. Hopefully I won't have to go too badly during the race. ::yes::

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me pointers. I feel like I am making a big deal out of a 5k - but at the same time, it's a really BIG deal to me... And I hope it's a gateway to many other races in my future! :thumbsup2

We've done the color run 5k several times and some other run/walks. Usually there's a packet pickup the day before somewhere so on race day you just park, join the crowd at the start and go. There's always packet pickup race day but we've never done it. Have fun!

Thank you! :) There wasn't a packet pick up for this race... I get the feeling that it's not a very big race? But it's chipped - so who knows? It didn't say how many participants are typically in it. Thanks so much!!! I am nervous this morning - but I just keep telling myself not to be, it's just like every other Sunday run I've done, just with more people there. ::yes::

*******************************************************************************************

I had a nice and relaxing day yesterday...

I decided to go for a nice walk in the morning - since I took Friday off. I left to 49° weather... It was COLD. I had to dig out the first ear warmer I could find and gloves too. YIKES! I am not ready for it to be this cold yet. But I had a nice walk and it felt good. :thumbsup2

2015-09-12_08.52.13.jpg

Then Allison and I went to town - I had a few extra errands to run.

Came home, had lunch, took a short and light nap.

Then we hung out for the rest of the night - Josh had a fire and burned some brush. And I packed/got everything ready for my race this morning. Hopefully I am not forgetting anything???

20150912_145559.jpg

20150912_150111.jpg

A photo of the boys from the other night... Coop is getting so big, he is *almost* as big as MM... Maybe another inch? It's been so long since I posted a picture of them... Thanks for reminding me Michelle! :thumbsup2 (In case you were wondering, that black spot on Coop's behind is tree sap... We can't get it out of his fur.)

20150911_212203.jpg

This morning - I am up early, so I can drink my morning coffee and hydrate with water. I want to be done by about 5:30, so I can go race with out having to use the restroom too much. ::yes:: I'll continue sipping after that, but not a ton. I am so paranoid about dehydration now.

As of now, both Josh and V are going with to watch me race... Not sure about Allison? I was in bed when she got home last night and she works today.

Josh is planning to grill burgers and brats for dinner. I am looking forward to that. A nap would also be nice. :thumbsup2

I hope you all have a wonderful day! Prayers and good thoughts to all! :grouphug:

D~

It is too late to wish you good luck but just in time to ask how the race was. ;) I bet you are glad that you had bought some cold weather running gear already. It is chilly here this morning, too.

Loved your update yesterday! When I look at your pic there I see a strong, beautiful and healthy woman. Good luck today.

PS. Don't worry about the hills, you have been running up hill the last couple of years and you are winning the battle.

Oooh, I love that blue Under Armour sweatshirt!

As of now, both Josh and V are going with to watch me race...

That's awesome! The more support, the better!

I feel like I am making a big deal out of a 5k - but at the same time, it's a really BIG deal to me... And I hope it's a gateway to many other races in my future! :thumbsup2

I know it will be! You've got the drive. :drive:

I hope the race went well. I can believe Cooper has gotten so big.
It's been quiet around here. The kitties are doing well. they are so tiny compared to my daughter's cats. She left for PA this morning. they're stopping in
Gettysburg on the way to Williamsburg.
I have a new assistant manager at work. the other one walked out. I worked with the new one back when we were both department managers. I got my regular shifts back and after this week I won't have to work til 11 pm.
The reason I got the quilt pieced so fst was because all the pieces were large. The smallest pieces were 3 inches wide. Today O'm going to put the batting and backing together. the will take longer because it involves a lot of hand sewing.
Have a good day.
Liz

Wow! Cooper really has grown quite a bit!!!

Congrats on your 5K. I am still in awe of you! Hope you got to relax for the rest of your Sunday

Good grief those temps!!!!!! Hahahahahaha, and that is why I do NOT live in MN.......although I am bummed that my baby brother had a baby and I won't get to see her till she's almost one :sad:

Pretty sure I am far behind here but just wanted to say hi. I hope your dad is doing better. The dogs are so cute! Vs' drawings are amazing! She is very talented. I hope your race went well. Can't wait to hear( read :)) how it went. You have inspired me to get some running shoes. Now I just need to get them moving. haha

You did it!!! I'm so proud of you! Next time I'm driving up the 3 hours to run with your!!! Btw our plans changed and we will only be at MOA that Friday but we'd love to have lunch if your free! Although the rugrats may never let you get a word in edge wise lol! I had to delete my trip report because I/it had an issue but I'll get it going again soon! I told Jenny she can help we write it since she's turned into the comedian lately!!! Can't wait to see more races photos! Praying your dad is finding better health:)

First, I just wanted to say... I stopped in here yesterday, on my way home from the race, and seeing all of your comments and cheering me on almost brought tears to my eyes... It really means the world to me that you all would log in for that. So, thank you! :grouphug:

It is too late to wish you good luck but just in time to ask how the race was. I bet you are glad that you had bought some cold weather running gear already. It is chilly here this morning, too.

Hahaha... The race was amazing - I'll do a huge update below about it. Yes, I was very glad to have some cold weather running gear - although, by the end, I had stripped down to a tank top because I was so hot, and it had warmed up outside.

Loved your update yesterday! When I look at your pic there I see a strong, beautiful and healthy woman. Good luck today.

PS. Don't worry about the hills, you have been running up hill the last couple of years and you are winning the battle.

Awww... Thank you so much! I cannot imagine my life anymore the way it used to be, and it's almost terrifying to me to come across an old photo like that, because it really did induce a lot of reflection. It was good reflection, but I know the life I have now is not guaranteed and at any time, I could be right back where I started. I guess that's why I just keep on, keepin' on. :thumbsup2

And thank you too - your last sentence... You are right, so right. I need to give myself a little bit of credit. :hug:

Thanks for stopping by to cheer me on and post such wise words. It means the world to me! :)

Hope you have fun today! Your first race - you got this.....
Jane

Hi Jane!!!! Thank you for stopping by - I hope you are well? Any trips coming up?

Oooh, I love that blue Under Armour sweatshirt!
That's awesome! The more support, the better!
I know it will be! You've got the drive.

Hahaha... The girls and I each have coordinating ones... I am about ready to steal theirs because they don't wear them that much anymore. :scratchin

As it turned out, the whole family was there! It made me so happy that they woke at O'dark-thirty to come and see me run... It meant the world - truly it did!

Thanks!!! Yes, there are definitely more races in my future! :woohoo:

Have a great race! You Rock!!

Thanks Niki!!!! Thanks for stopping by to cheer me on!!! It means the world to me!

Hope your race was great! Looks like it was from the pictures I've seen this morning!

Thanks!!! It was an amazing race - a super awesome first time experience! And I cannot wait to do it again!

I hope the race went well. I can believe Cooper has gotten so big.
It's been quiet around here. The kitties are doing well. they are so tiny compared to my daughter's cats. She left for PA this morning. they're stopping in
Gettysburg on the way to Williamsburg.
I have a new assistant manager at work. the other one walked out. I worked with the new one back when we were both department managers. I got my regular shifts back and after this week I won't have to work til 11 pm.
The reason I got the quilt pieced so fst was because all the pieces were large. The smallest pieces were 3 inches wide. Today O'm going to put the batting and backing together. the will take longer because it involves a lot of hand sewing.
Have a good day.
Liz

Thanks Liz!

I know - he is such a big boy now, he is so close in size to MM.

Glad to hear the kitties are doing well.

Oooh - that sounds like a marvelous trip... Two places I've always wanted to go see. I still hope to get a trip to that area, I was never able to take the girls there, so maybe some day the grands? If I am lucky enough to have some... Not for many years yet - of course. :scratchin

Yay for a better asst. mgr. That's awesome news, and awesome that you get your old shifts back too! Congrats!~ :woohoo:

Good luck on the quilt - I hope it goes together well for you! :woohoo:

Wow! Cooper really has grown quite a bit!!!

Congrats on your 5K. I am still in awe of you! Hope you got to relax for the rest of your Sunday

Good grief those temps!!!!!! Hahahahahaha, and that is why I do NOT live in MN.......although I am bummed that my baby brother had a baby and I won't get to see her till she's almost one

I know! He is still a baby though... A naughty baby...

Thanks Raina! It was an amazing race and just an incredible day in general - one I won't soon forget and one I'll be trying to recreate again and again. :woohoo:

I know!!! We still have a bit of nice weather left - it won't start to get really cold (usually) until mid-October. Usually, the days are really nice and the nights get cold - which is perfect sleeping weather, to me, nothing better then sleeping in a cold room under warm blankets. ::yes::

I know the feeling... It's so hard to have Thomas across the world... He is growing so fast and so big. And now we have a new princess on the way - Myrthe is due in 3 weeks, but I am sure she won't make her due date... So, almost any day now. They are hoping to plan a trip home in Feb though - so hopefully we will get to cuddle with this little girl while she is still a baby. :thumbsup2

Pretty sure I am far behind here but just wanted to say hi. I hope your dad is doing better. The dogs are so cute! Vs' drawings are amazing! She is very talented. I hope your race went well. Can't wait to hear( read :)) how it went. You have inspired me to get some running shoes. Now I just need to get them moving. haha

No worries at all! Thanks for stopping by to cheer me on!

My dad is doing OK - although I still don't have test results, I may have to call the nurse to see if she can look them up for me?

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

Yes, my race was amazing - it was an incredible first-time experience!

:woohoo: for new running shoes!!! Pinterest was my bff for several weeks - still go there often - to read and educate myself on "beginner running"... It was just a wealth of knowledge (along with all of my runner friends) and really taught me some good fundamental breathing and running techniques. ::yes:: I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

You did it!!! I'm so proud of you! Next time I'm driving up the 3 hours to run with your!!! Btw our plans changed and we will only be at MOA that Friday but we'd love to have lunch if your free! Although the rugrats may never let you get a word in edge wise lol! I had to delete my trip report because I/it had an issue but I'll get it going again soon! I told Jenny she can help we write it since she's turned into the comedian lately!!! Can't wait to see more races photos! Praying your dad is finding better health:)

Yay!!!! That would be awesome! My next run is on TG morning... You'll be gone by then. LOL But I would love it any time, if you would come and run with me! That would be so awesome!

PM me the date, so I can add it to my phone.... I would love to meet you at the MOA for lunch - that would be perfect.

Bummer about deleting your TR - I hope you can get another one up and running soon. :thumbsup2

Thanks, he is doing OK. :)

Cooper is getting so big. Both boys are so cute!

Can't wait to hear about your race!

I know - he is huge... and naughty... No, not really - he's a pretty good puppy, but he loves to pick on MM and MM just takes it... I wish he'd stand up for himself. ::yes::

Oh, believe me... You guys will probably get sick of hearing about it. LOL It was so exciting!

******************************************************************************************

Again - I just want to thank all of you for stopping by to cheer me on... I was almost in tears on the way home, seeing all of the encouraging posts - it really meant the world to me, to know I had so many friends across the world cheering me on! From the very bottom of my heart, thank you!

So, yesterday morning, I was up around 4am, so I could drink my coffee and my water, and be done with it early enough that it wouldn't cause problems later. :scratchin

I woke the family around 6am... It was 50° exactly - so a bit chilly, but not freezing. I had all of my gear packed, even an ear warmer and gloves in case I needed them. We left the house a little after 6:30, registration started at that time, and I had no idea what to expect - so I wanted to get there a little early. We arrived around 7 and parked... V walked with me over to the armory to pick up my packet and my bib... I was kind of sad when I got back to the car, and opened the envelope - there wasn't a bib, only a chip. Bummer - my very first race and no bibs. Oh well. The race didn't start until 8, so that left more than enough time to visit the bathroom often. :scratchin Finally - it was time for me to get my gear on... So, I sat on the curb and changed from my flip-flops to my running shoes... Took off my sweats and my sweatshirt... Allison went with me to the starting line, with her big camera (I was so honored that she brought it with!) and we waited together.

Before I knew it - they were counting down... I started off in the middle of the pack - I probably should have been further back, but oh well. I had planned to start off walking - since I didn't get a chance to warm up... but everyone was running past me, and Allison was waiting up there with her camera... So, I picked up my pace to a slow run (I really don't have a "fast" run). And I never looked back. Many people passed me and continued to pass me. As the race continued on, I knew i was *really* slow... As there were walkers and children in front of me that I was not passing. Eventually, I did pass a few people... 11 to be exact... So I knew there were 11 people behind me somewhere. :) I ran the entire race, start to finish, never once stopping or walking. I knew my pace was the best it's ever been, so I was excited to see what my final pace would be. I am glad I did hill work, as there were a couple of long steep ones... I did get a chuckle when a lady passed me cruising down hill, but i passed her going up hill. But I kept my pace and continued on. And then the walker who kept her pace about 10 yards in front of me the entire race, I finally passed her about a half mile from the finish, I complimented her on her pace as I was passing her (not sure if she thought I was insulting her?), because as we were going through the finish area, she zoomed past me at a stomping run, and she said "look who's running now!" lol... So, she came in ahead of me. My family was cheering me on, they all came to watch me... It meant the world that they were there.

When it was all done - it was amazing... I am pretty sure I was the VERY LAST runner to come in to the finish - everyone behind me were walkers. So, I am a bit sad that I am truly the slowest runner out there... but I keep telling myself that if I am truly the slowest - then I've left room for improvement, and I can only go up from here. So, I will - mark my words! ::yes::

A few photos from the day... Allison's are still on her camera - I have no idea when she will give me those?

Coming in to the finish line area...

IMG_20150913_085106.jpg

After the race, in front of the sign at the armory...

20150913_085808.jpg

20150913_085833.jpg

And my official race info - hopefully it's big enough that you can read it?

5618b2dd-1c33-440f-b6c4-0333151bf28c.png

I am happy with my time, because I obliterated my average pace PR by over 1.5 minutes - that is incredible! :woohoo: But, at the same time, I was at the very back of the pack... I really need to start working more on my pace.

And my obligatory collage...

2015-09-13_16.57.56.jpg

After the race, we left right away... We dropped V off at church... And I came home to shower, change into my new fancy-schmancy race tee shirt and get ready. Josh and I wanted to go back to see the Defeat of Jesse James Days in Northfield - they do a reenactment there, and I've always wanted to see it. To my surprise - he took the top off of the Jeep... So, I was in my glory!

So, we went back to Northfield and walked around the craft booths all over town. Stopped and had the messiest - not so great - Gyro for lunch. Found the time for the next reenactment... Which was only about a 15 min wait... So we lined up at the fence... It was pretty cool, actually. I really enjoy this historical stuff - especially local history.

20150913_122448.jpg

20150913_124254.jpg

20150913_124654.jpg

20150913_124707.jpg

20150913_124906.jpg

20150913_124923.jpg

20150913_124930_HDR.jpg

We left right after the reenactment, and came home... I needed a nap, so that's exactly what we did. It was lovely!

Josh made brats on the grill...

And believe it or not - I was still so tired, I was in bed by 7:30!

Allison came home from work and came upstairs to tell me that she has officially made the title of "YEAR BOOK EDITOR" - soooo VERY PROUD of her!!!!! She has worked hard to earn this!

So, that was my day yesterday...

On a final note, aside from it being one of the most amazing days in my life... I see many races in my future - and my final goal - a Run Disney race... :woohoo: I just need to work up to a 10k, for now, and find a race to participate in that chipped, so I have a time to submit to Disney. ::yes::

Today... It's a Target day... Way to wreck a good thing. LOL

I will be working out - or maybe walking this morning? I haven't decided yet - I'll see how light it is out once the girls leave for school.

I hope you all have a wonderful day - and again, thank you for cheering me on yesterday! :grouphug: Prayers and Pixie Dust go out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

Last edited:
Just read your race update and wanted to say congrats to you! I'm sure it felt great to finish your first 5K and I wish you luck on your next one! I lurk here about once a week these days. I don't post a ton since I don't have any Disney park trips in the works anytime soon, which makes me sad. We are doing a Disney Cruise trip next month though, so maybe I'll post a quick blurb about it when I return.

Congratulations D!!! You should be so proud of yourself. Is that a Spibelt that you use? I use one for running and I just love it. Congrats to Allison for making yearbook editor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter