• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~ They're leaving the nest, sew it's time for a trip - or two - or three...~~ D~'s bag ~9/22 ~~

Hey D,

Which team is Matt playing for in Illinois? Looks like you had a great run! Have a great day at Target!

I hope your dad's leg gets better. It's hard when our parents get older. I'm glad your had a good weekend. I worked saturday and yesterday. It was so hot that I was glad to be inside.
I started my friends quilt. I have the front pieced. Actually, it's two pieces. She wanted it that way because it would be easier to crosstitch that way.
I put a Brother quilting machine in layaway. I finally decide that I needed newer machine. I found a home for one of my rescued singers. I really don't need 6 of them. Once I clean it and fix the tension it's going to a friend of mine that I've known since high school.
I'm surprised that Target doesn't offer some sort of help for college. Walmart offer garnts and aid for children of associates and associates. It's not much but it helps.
Have a good day.
Liz

V's drawings are absolutely wonderful..she is very talented..I hope your girls have a good first day of school..our kids have been back since August 5!!!

Hi D!

First-lots of good thoughts and prayers for your Dad. Hope his leg improves quickly!!!

Congrats to Allison on her license!:drive: How scary. I'll be there soon. Lizzy's doing great but we haven't found a driver's ed class that works with her hockey schedule yet.

Victoria's drawing are amazing!:worship:

Congrats to you on purchasing your 1st AP.:yay: They are kind of dangerous! You'll be trying to figure out how to "one more trip" before it expires.:D

Great job on the running! You'd love a run Disney event! One thing to think about with the Wine & Dine is that it is run at night-great that you don't have to get up at 3 am but I'm not sure I would want to wait around all day for the race to start.

I cannot believe how fast the summer flew by. Seems like the kids just got out of school and now they are back already-we go back the 1st Tuesday in Sept so when that is 9/1 we go back before Labor Day. Joe is a freshman in high school. I'm hoping the high school schedule of just 4 classes a day works better for him. Emma is still in middle school and has told me that they are now on a 21 day schedule-crazy! Joe wouldn't have done well with that. Lizzy isn't loving high school but is enjoying playing lots of hockey and we did a college visit this summer so she's looking forward to that. She wants to study atmospheric science so we visited a small VT state school when we were in Woodstock VT with Gene's family. She really loved the school and it has a great reputation for that field. We'll visit a few more this year. Hopefully it will provide motivation to study for the SATs.

We all had a great time on our Atlantic Canada road trip. Saw lots of stunning vistas and visited lots of historic sites. We lucked out with little rain but had unusually hot and humid weather for most of the trip-its not supposed to be in the 90s in Atlantic Canada. We purchased a Canadian National Parks pass that is good until 8/31/16 so maybe we'll try Ontario next summer. I think we'd try for more time in one place and less driving.

I ended up booking a preferred room at POR for my November trip. I was hoping to get a discounted wing room at CR but there was so little availability when room discounts came out. I'm not sure I would like not knowing where I was going but I'm sure your resort will be awesome!!! I'll be there 11/12 to 11/19 and would love to see you. My FL friend will likely drive down for Sat & Sun. I bought a 10 day ticket from Undercover Tourist that I'll upgrade to an AP when I get there. It mailed last week so I should have it in time for making fast passes.

Sounds like you had a good weekend :)
I can't wait to hear what questions you have about Tromsø and Norway :)

The day in Chicago was very hot but it was fun seeing Chicago. We parked near the Millennium Park and walk to the park first and saw the Bean. Since we decided to visit Chicago just the night before we couldn't buy tickets to Willis Tower since we don't have access to a printer. When we first came out of the parking garage Ulf asked someone where Willis Tower was. The man pointed to the building which we could see from where we were standing. But he said that it was way to far to walk there (it was probably 1,5 km walk) Well we did walk to it, but first we walked to the Bean that was close by. After taking pictures with the Bean we walked to Willis Tower just to see how long the line was. It was LONG. So we didn't bother to go in line. We then walked to Navy Pier and Buckingham Fountain before we walked back to our car at Millennium Park. Ulf was exhausted when we got back to the car. I don't know how much he had walked with the wheel chair that day in Chicago but it was very much.

Today we went into Amish Country. We visited Kidron, Wilmot, Berlin, Millersburg and New Philadelphia. We were in New Philadelphia already at 2pm so we were a little sad that we yesterday booked a room for the night in New Philadelphia. Even if we were early we got our room right away. We decided to do laundry. I surfed around on the internet while waiting for the laundry to be done. It didn't take that long to do the laundry so it was no point in going out of the hotel while the laundry was on. We were hungry already at 4.30PM so we decided to go for an early dinner, not far from the hotel. Usually we are not ready for dinner until 7PM. After dinner we discovered that we could see our hotel from where we were standing to the left. But the sign said we were not allowed to make a left turn from the parking lot of the resturant. So we had to drive 3 miles total to get back to our hotel.

Busy weekend! I still need to try out ValleyFair. These kiddos always want to do Nickelodeon Universe:( I am not sure I sccomlished much this past weekend besides cleaning carpets but that's ok. Felt nice to not do much for once! This week soccer is back in full swing! Plus Jen is going to start playing the clarinet. Maybe I better invest in earplugs???

Oh no - that is so awful!!!! I can see my dad falling for something like that too. :( People can be so horrible, horrible. I hope that your grandmother is able to recover some of her $$. ::hug::

No, unfortunately you won't recover anything, generally speaking. This type of fraud is so pervasive that law enforcement is too overwhelmed and most of it originates outside of the US anyway. If you've really won the lottery you won't ever be asked to pay any fees!!! Sorry, just in case anyone who is reading may not be aware.

You are looking good in that selfie!

Hey D,

Which team is Matt playing for in Illinois? Looks like you had a great run! Have a great day at Target!

Good question Niki... Ummm... I've asked him several times - but I cannot remember. I will ask him again today and write it down, so I don't forget. LOL I will report back. ::yes::

I hope your dad's leg gets better. It's hard when our parents get older. I'm glad your had a good weekend. I worked saturday and yesterday. It was so hot that I was glad to be inside.
I started my friends quilt. I have the front pieced. Actually, it's two pieces. She wanted it that way because it would be easier to crosstitch that way.
I put a Brother quilting machine in layaway. I finally decide that I needed newer machine. I found a home for one of my rescued singers. I really don't need 6 of them. Once I clean it and fix the tension it's going to a friend of mine that I've known since high school.
I'm surprised that Target doesn't offer some sort of help for college. Walmart offer garnts and aid for children of associates and associates. It's not much but it helps.
Have a good day.
Liz

Thanks Liz!

We had a hot weekend too... but now it's starting to cool off. I love fall weather!

I can't believe you have the front of the quilt pieced already!!! That's awesome! And :woohoo: for a new quilting machine and finding a new home for the other one.

Target... Sigh - I am not sure what they offer? I have not heard of anything, I am probably wrong, but I just never thought to look into it... I probably should - like you said - every little bit helps. ::yes::

You too! Thank you!

looks like a great weekend.

Hope your dad is ok and the infection goes quickly!

Thanks Mo! :hug:

V's drawings are absolutely wonderful..she is very talented..I hope your girls have a good first day of school..our kids have been back since August 5!!!

Thank you!

Wow!!! They go back early! The girls' first day is today... So they are up and ready.

Hi D!

First-lots of good thoughts and prayers for your Dad. Hope his leg improves quickly!!!

Congrats to Allison on her license!:drive: How scary. I'll be there soon. Lizzy's doing great but we haven't found a driver's ed class that works with her hockey schedule yet.

Victoria's drawing are amazing!

Congrats to you on purchasing your 1st AP.:yay: They are kind of dangerous! You'll be trying to figure out how to "one more trip" before it expires.:D

Great job on the running! You'd love a run Disney event! One thing to think about with the Wine & Dine is that it is run at night-great that you don't have to get up at 3 am but I'm not sure I would want to wait around all day for the race to start.

I cannot believe how fast the summer flew by. Seems like the kids just got out of school and now they are back already-we go back the 1st Tuesday in Sept so when that is 9/1 we go back before Labor Day. Joe is a freshman in high school. I'm hoping the high school schedule of just 4 classes a day works better for him. Emma is still in middle school and has told me that they are now on a 21 day schedule-crazy! Joe wouldn't have done well with that. Lizzy isn't loving high school but is enjoying playing lots of hockey and we did a college visit this summer so she's looking forward to that. She wants to study atmospheric science so we visited a small VT state school when we were in Woodstock VT with Gene's family. She really loved the school and it has a great reputation for that field. We'll visit a few more this year. Hopefully it will provide motivation to study for the SATs.

We all had a great time on our Atlantic Canada road trip. Saw lots of stunning vistas and visited lots of historic sites. We lucked out with little rain but had unusually hot and humid weather for most of the trip-its not supposed to be in the 90s in Atlantic Canada. We purchased a Canadian National Parks pass that is good until 8/31/16 so maybe we'll try Ontario next summer. I think we'd try for more time in one place and less driving.

I ended up booking a preferred room at POR for my November trip. I was hoping to get a discounted wing room at CR but there was so little availability when room discounts came out. I'm not sure I would like not knowing where I was going but I'm sure your resort will be awesome!!! I'll be there 11/12 to 11/19 and would love to see you. My FL friend will likely drive down for Sat & Sun. I bought a 10 day ticket from Undercover Tourist that I'll upgrade to an AP when I get there. It mailed last week so I should have it in time for making fast passes.

Hi Bernadette!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by, checking in and catching me up on life... I always wonder about you and how you are doing. :thumbsup2 I am happy to hear that the family is doing well - hopefully the kids are enjoying school now and settle into the new routine easily.

It sounds like you had a wonderful summer!

How is work going? Did you ever get anyone competently trained? I sure hope so - I know that was a huge stressor in your life. :hug:

:woohoo: for booking POR in November! So happy that our dates over lap - I would love to meet up if we can make it work. :) I believe I still have your cell #... We'll stay in contact, and work something out. Looking forward to seeing you again. :hug:

Thanks for stopping by! I've missed you!

Sounds like you had a good weekend
I can't wait to hear what questions you have about Tromsø and Norway

The day in Chicago was very hot but it was fun seeing Chicago. We parked near the Millennium Park and walk to the park first and saw the Bean. Since we decided to visit Chicago just the night before we couldn't buy tickets to Willis Tower since we don't have access to a printer. When we first came out of the parking garage Ulf asked someone where Willis Tower was. The man pointed to the building which we could see from where we were standing. But he said that it was way to far to walk there (it was probably 1,5 km walk) Well we did walk to it, but first we walked to the Bean that was close by. After taking pictures with the Bean we walked to Willis Tower just to see how long the line was. It was LONG. So we didn't bother to go in line. We then walked to Navy Pier and Buckingham Fountain before we walked back to our car at Millennium Park. Ulf was exhausted when we got back to the car. I don't know how much he had walked with the wheel chair that day in Chicago but it was very much.

Today we went into Amish Country. We visited Kidron, Wilmot, Berlin, Millersburg and New Philadelphia. We were in New Philadelphia already at 2pm so we were a little sad that we yesterday booked a room for the night in New Philadelphia. Even if we were early we got our room right away. We decided to do laundry. I surfed around on the internet while waiting for the laundry to be done. It didn't take that long to do the laundry so it was no point in going out of the hotel while the laundry was on. We were hungry already at 4.30PM so we decided to go for an early dinner, not far from the hotel. Usually we are not ready for dinner until 7PM. After dinner we discovered that we could see our hotel from where we were standing to the left. But the sign said we were not allowed to make a left turn from the parking lot of the resturant. So we had to drive 3 miles total to get back to our hotel.

Oh WOW!!! It sounds like you and Ulf had a LOT of walking in Chicago! I know when Suzi, Mo and I walked it - it was a LOT of walking and we were sure tired. But it was also very fun. It sounds like you were able to see many of the main sights of Chicago - which is awesome!

It seems like you are really enjoying your trip so far, and are getting to see and do so many exciting things! I hope you are headed somewhere fun today!

Thanks for checking in and keeping me updated on what you are doing - it's so much fun to track you guys across the US. ::yes:: Safe travels to you and Ulf! :hug:

Busy weekend! I still need to try out ValleyFair. These kiddos always want to do Nickelodeon Universe:( I am not sure I sccomlished much this past weekend besides cleaning carpets but that's ok. Felt nice to not do much for once! This week soccer is back in full swing! Plus Jen is going to start playing the clarinet. Maybe I better invest in earplugs???

Some day - you may get the chance... Sadly - they are only open until Nov 1, so they won't be open when you come in Nov. It's a fun little park, and even though it's an hour drive for us - we find ourselves there frequently. Thankfully, we have gotten a lot of use out of our season passes this year.

Yay to getting back into the swing of things and carpet cleaning... We have our carpet cleaner out and ready to do - just haven't done it yet... but it definitely needs to be done.

No, unfortunately you won't recover anything, generally speaking. This type of fraud is so pervasive that law enforcement is too overwhelmed and most of it originates outside of the US anyway. If you've really won the lottery you won't ever be asked to pay any fees!!! Sorry, just in case anyone who is reading may not be aware.

You are looking good in that selfie!

That is so sad. It's too bad that these people generally get away with it. :(

Thank you. :lovestruc

***************************************************************************************

I worked at Target yesterday... It went by reasonably quick, which is always good.

I came home, made dinner and went for a run while dinner was cooking...

2015-09-08_18.00.10.jpg

Then I sat on my tablet all night. ::yes::

Today is the girls' first day of school - Allison is driving...

I will be working at home all day.

I hope you all have a great day - prayers and good thoughts go out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

I hope the girls have a great first day of school! And you look absolutely fabulous! Again, so inspiring to me! I've decided to start taking a Zumba class one night each week -- I dislike exercise in general but absolutely love dance, and I had to quit ballet when we moved here three years ago because I can't find a studio that works with my schedule. Zumba is a great workout but to me it feels like dance. So I'm looking forward to that on Wednesday nights. I'm still debating about running because winter is coming and I'm just not going to run outside in snow. I know myself -- I'm not dedicated enough for that! :-) Keep up the great work!

Hope your dad is doing well. It has been very HOT here as well. I spent the weekend at a volleyball tournament and boy was it interesting. The 4:30 am wake up call was a killer.
Hope the girls had a great first day back at school.
I have not had time to run/walk. Been too busy and by the time I can go it's already dark here. I am already dreading winter.
Have a fabulous day!

I sure hope your dad is doing okay. I am still trying to get caught up on all of your PTR, but I have a feeling that probably won't be happening at this point.

It must have been an interesting feeling having Allison drive to school! How exciting for her. :goodvibes

I am going to be lazy and not quote your last reply but...

Yes, I think it's a great idea to celebrate Jonah's birthday during our trip somehow. If I can bring myself to do it, I am in denial that he will be turning 3 next year.

Drats, Allison may want to look into applying to an actual Starbucks in the future though. I know I LOVED recruiting people from the Starbucks targets since they already knew how to make the drinks. Starbucks partners also get 30% off drinks, a free pound of coffee a week , and free drinks during their shifts. :lovestruc Sometimes I miss working there if you can't tell.

D, you look just fabulous. I can't believe how much you have slimmed down even more just from adding running to your routine. :cheer2:

I finally figured out what was going on with the account, so we are slowly but surely easing back in. I am excited to move forward. I am in my 3rd round of upholstery classes and I am "designing" my own furniture for the class. Our instructor asked our style, and I said "Disney." I don't usually get too creative, but I am going to for my class projects.

Yes, honestly Drew would kill me right now if I offered to trade soon. He is actually transitioning to working on our business full time and offer his carpentry services to some of the decorators I will be working with. It's kind of going to be a scary year. :scared1: :blush::rotfl: (my mix of emotions)

I hope the girls have a great first day of school! And you look absolutely fabulous! Again, so inspiring to me! I've decided to start taking a Zumba class one night each week -- I dislike exercise in general but absolutely love dance, and I had to quit ballet when we moved here three years ago because I can't find a studio that works with my schedule. Zumba is a great workout but to me it feels like dance. So I'm looking forward to that on Wednesday nights. I'm still debating about running because winter is coming and I'm just not going to run outside in snow. I know myself -- I'm not dedicated enough for that! :-) Keep up the great work!

Thank you - they did. :)

Thanks!!! I love that I can inspire people!

I did Zumba classes for a little while with my co-workers... I loved it, but it just wasn't convenient for me, and I loved the instructor, but she moved... So, I haven't done Zumba for well over 2 years. I'd love to have it back in my life again, if it works out. You will do great with it though, and it's a lot of fun!

Hehehe... I am not sure that I am dedicated enough for winter running yet either. LOL But I am scared to death that I will lose what little I've built up, if I don't continue to run... So, I am going to try. Even if I can only do it once or twice a week... Hopefully that will keep my endurance at a good place? The way I see it - the temps are usually only really bad during Jan and Feb... So, if I can tough it out through that - I should be OK for the rest of it? I hope. LOL

But you are going to do great! I know you will! :woohoo:

Hope your dad is doing well. It has been very HOT here as well. I spent the weekend at a volleyball tournament and boy was it interesting. The 4:30 am wake up call was a killer.
Hope the girls had a great first day back at school.
I have not had time to run/walk. Been too busy and by the time I can go it's already dark here. I am already dreading winter.
Have a fabulous day!

Hi Lynee!!!

My dad is doing OK... I talked to him on Tuesday night... He is still swollen, and they think his leg sore is getting bigger... I plan to call his nurse today and see if she has any other updates for me. I'd like to know the results of his chest xray too.

Yikes!!! That sounds like it was an interesting weekend. Were you playing or were you watching the volleyball tournament?

Thanks, they did! ::yes::

I know... I noted that it's completely dark here now by 7:45... So, right now... If we eat dinner by 5:30, I barely have time for my food to settle before I run... I think I am going to have to start shifting my runs to about 3pm... at least during the week - then I can run and make dinner after. :scratchin That's the plan for now, anyways. I am really concerned for the cold temps of Jan/Feb... I think I can power through most of the rest of it? I hope... And for a week in Jan - I'll be in FL. ::yes::

I hope you have a great day!!!

I sure hope your dad is doing okay. I am still trying to get caught up on all of your PTR, but I have a feeling that probably won't be happening at this point.

It must have been an interesting feeling having Allison drive to school! How exciting for her. :goodvibes

I am going to be lazy and not quote your last reply but...

Yes, I think it's a great idea to celebrate Jonah's birthday during our trip somehow. If I can bring myself to do it, I am in denial that he will be turning 3 next year.

Drats, Allison may want to look into applying to an actual Starbucks in the future though. I know I LOVED recruiting people from the Starbucks targets since they already knew how to make the drinks. Starbucks partners also get 30% off drinks, a free pound of coffee a week , and free drinks during their shifts. :lovestruc Sometimes I miss working there if you can't tell.

D, you look just fabulous. I can't believe how much you have slimmed down even more just from adding running to your routine.

I finally figured out what was going on with the account, so we are slowly but surely easing back in. I am excited to move forward. I am in my 3rd round of upholstery classes and I am "designing" my own furniture for the class. Our instructor asked our style, and I said "Disney." I don't usually get too creative, but I am going to for my class projects.

Yes, honestly Drew would kill me right now if I offered to trade soon. He is actually transitioning to working on our business full time and offer his carpentry services to some of the decorators I will be working with. It's kind of going to be a scary year. (my mix of emotions)

Absolutely no worries about catching up here... It's just great to have you back!!!

My dad hasn't changed too much. I talked to him on Tuesday night, and he said that his edema is still there and one of the nurses said his leg sore seems to be getting bigger... I will call his nurse today to see if there are any updates and report back. :thumbsup2

I know - it's hard that he is turning 3 already... It goes by entirely too quickly! But celebrate every moment - they all add up to something wonderful! :lovestruc

I will tell her to look into an actual Starbucks... At the moment, we don't have any near us, but once she goes off to college... :scratchin

Thank you Ashley... I just think that is an incredibly flattering picture of me, because of the awkward way I was standing... IRL - I haven't changed at all, I am still wearing the same clothes and the same sizes. Frustrating... but I am really putting more effort into it these last few days... There is NO way I can go to Disney 1.5 years later and still be wearing the same size... I won't allow it. LOL

Oh my goodness!!!! it sounds like you are moving forward in amazing strides with your business - I am sooooo very proud of you!!!!! This is awesome! I know how scary it can be - trust me.... but you are amazing and I do hope - one day - to own one of your pieces, if only to say I have one!!!! Your work is stunning and beautiful! You will do great things Ashley - I know it! ::yes::

Thanks for stopping by - as usual - it's wonderful to see you!!! :hug:

********************************************************************************

Dad update copied from above: My dad hasn't changed too much. I talked to him on Tuesday night, and he said that his edema is still there and one of the nurses said his leg sore seems to be getting bigger... I will call his nurse today to see if there are any updates and report back. :thumbsup2 I am also hoping for the results from his chest xray.

Honestly - not too much exciting happened yesterday...

I worked out in the morning...

Then I worked all day.

That's all. LOL Pretty boring.

I do have a first day of school picture for you - and it's a now n' then photo...

First up is the girls in 1st grade and Kindergarten in 2004... The look on V's face is soooo "V" - LOL She hasn't changed much. ::yes:: You'll notice the map in the background... If you look carefully - you'll see the arrows on MN and Iraq... This is how we kept track of Josh and tried to imply to the girls how far away he was, while he was gone.

Picture%20057.jpg

And then yesterday... Allison's last "first day of school" picture... And V's Junior year...

20150909_065527.jpg

And last night... Matt (Josh's cousin/our favorite hockey player) who is staying with us for a few weeks... Him and MM have become pals... MM sleeps with Matt every night. :lovestruc

20150909_181111.jpg

Today....

It's a heavy lifting day for me... Then I will run this afternoon/tonight. I have my first official 5k race on Sunday... I am a little nervous/scared/excited. I know it's "only a 5k", but to me, it's a gateway to bigger things. ::yes::

I will be working all day upstairs too...

Those are my only plans for today.

I hope you all have a wonderful day today! Prayers and good thoughts go out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

Sorry to hear that your Dad edema is not better. Hopefully it will clear up soon!! Good luck on your 5k!!! It's a great accomplishment. I just registered for a Turkey Trot in our area. Hopefully it won't be freezing cold. You never know what's going to happen with weather in the Chicago area!! The pictures of the girls are adorable. Kids grow up way to fast! Have a great day!!

Hi Bernadette!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by, checking in and catching me up on life... I always wonder about you and how you are doing. :thumbsup2 I am happy to hear that the family is doing well - hopefully the kids are enjoying school now and settle into the new routine easily.

It sounds like you had a wonderful summer!

How is work going? Did you ever get anyone competently trained? I sure hope so - I know that was a huge stressor in your life. :hug:

:woohoo: for booking POR in November! So happy that our dates over lap - I would love to meet up if we can make it work. :) I believe I still have your cell #... We'll stay in contact, and work something out. Looking forward to seeing you again. :hug:

Thanks for stopping by! I've missed you!

D~
We ended up hiring an in house candidate for a junior analyst position. That has worked out really well-we already knew she wasn't crazy and she already knew a lot about the company. She's really great-really wants to learn the job. And she's a great person and a Disney fan! So thankfully that has taken a lot of pressure off me however the new president and VP have added more than she's removed.:crazy: Lets just say I will need this November trip like no other.

High school seems to be going well or Joe (OK only 6 days in but I still have hope). He's still active in scouts and just also joined the Venture Scouts-the coed division of Boy Scouts for kids over 14. I was an Explorer Boy Scout (what they called it 40 years ago) when I was in high school. He has some sort of event every weekend for the next 6 weeks. He knows he has to keep up with his work on a daily basis to do all those fun things so hopefully that will do the trick to keep him on track. This weekend is a bike trip on Cape Cod.

Lizzy's playing in a league hockey team right now til varsity season starts around Christmas. One of her team mates broke her ankle & fibula at the last game and had to get it all screwed back together. OUCH! Her Mom said the screws will come out in 4 months but she can skate again in 2 months. YIKES....I don't know that I would want Lizzy on ice with screws in her ankle....

Emma's playing soccer this fall. Hopefully the heat wave is over because she doesn't enjoy playing in the heat. She's really our easy one-she goes to school, does her work and comes home with As with very little intervention from us. She had a real growth spurt this spring/summer. She's taller than Lizzy now.

I got my Disney ticket and added it to DME so I can make fast pass selections in 3 days.

I have my first official 5k race on Sunday... I am a little nervous/scared/excited. I know it's "only a 5k", but to me, it's a gateway to bigger things. ::yes::

D~
You'll do great! And I know you'll love all the excitement of a race.

Love the 1st day of school photo.

How great for Max to have a new buddy in the house.

I've been reading along. Love your running--I'm a slogger. Not a runner or a jogger but I slog along, so I can relate. I'm trying to get back into it after major surgery in February--it is not easy to get back in shape. I've mostly been walking (about a 17 minute mile). I think I'm ready to add some running back in.

Good luck on your 5K, you'll do great. I bet you'll find your time improves when you are running with others. It's exciting and motivating to run in a race!

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. I'm curious about the different touring styles--It will be fun to see the comparisons!

Yesterday we came to La Vade, Maryland. The rain was on and off all day when we were driving. Today we woke up to rain and the rain followed us all the way to Newark, Delaware. We were supposed to drive for an hour longer, but when it started to rain really heavy we decided to stop early. So we are now staying in Newark, Delaware. Tomorrow we are going to Budd Lake, NJ where we are spending the night so we can participate in a geocaching event in Waterloo Village on Saturday morning before we are continuing on our road trip. I really hope it doesn't rain on Saturday when we're at the geocaching event.

Yes, this is our first trip to DISNEY together... :woohoo: I am beyond excited to share this with them, since our love of Disney is what started our friendship in the first place. It will be super exciting. I am also excited to tour the parks the way Suzi does... Everyone has different styles, and mind is definitely different than Suzi's, but I am excited to experience Disney her way. This is going to be a FUN trip - I just know it! :woohoo:
I'm excited for you to take this WDW trip, too. I think you'll have a fantastic time. And I bet you'll love your resort - whatever one it is -( I love Suzi's clues.) :)

Despite the condition of his legs, he still wanted to bust out... So we went out for lunch, then we went to the craft store, we arrived at the Dr. a bit early and they were able to get us in early - which was really nice.
Your dad sounds like he is pretty strong willed. I hope his edema gets better soon.

My Road ID came in the mail - finally.... It's such a relief to have this!
I have one that attaches to the laces on my running shoe.

So, I am going to try. Even if I can only do it once or twice a week... Hopefully that will keep my endurance at a good place? The way I see it - the temps are usually only really bad during Jan and Feb... So, if I can tough it out through that - I should be OK for the rest of it? I hope. LOL
The hardest things about running in the winter for me is trying to deal with the darkness and the ice. I like to run first thing in the morning, which is hard in the winter. But I love running through a fresh layer of snow - as long as it isn't too deep. The proper layers are important, too, and you'll learn how many layers work best. I usually went by the temperatures - long pants for anything under 55 degrees, mittens rather than gloves for anything lower than 30 - that kind of thing.I'd rather be a little chilly then to be too hot.

You'll notice the map in the background... If you look carefully - you'll see the arrows on MN and Iraq... This is how we kept track of Josh and tried to imply to the girls how far away he was, while he was gone.
That must have been hard to raise the girls without Josh around. How long was he overseas?

I have my first official 5k race on Sunday... I am a little nervous/scared/excited. I know it's "only a 5k", but to me, it's a gateway to bigger things. ::yes::
Good luck on your race. I hope you have a great time. :)

Clearly - I am not with it this morning... As I replied by quoting everyone, but didn't reply myself. Sigh. LOL

Sorry to hear that your Dad edema is not better. Hopefully it will clear up soon!! Good luck on your 5k!!! It's a great accomplishment. I just registered for a Turkey Trot in our area. Hopefully it won't be freezing cold. You never know what's going to happen with weather in the Chicago area!! The pictures of the girls are adorable. Kids grow up way to fast! Have a great day!!

Thank you - I hope so too.

I am a little nervous for it, but I keep telling myself it's "only a 5k"...

I plan on doing the Gobble Gait here on TG morning - so I'll be running with you in spirit. ::yes:: Except - ours is an 8k... I am a little nervous for that, but I still have 8 weeks to go from a 5k to an 8k, which is totally doable, IMO.

We ended up hiring an in house candidate for a junior analyst position. That has worked out really well-we already knew she wasn't crazy and she already knew a lot about the company. She's really great-really wants to learn the job. And she's a great person and a Disney fan! So thankfully that has taken a lot of pressure off me however the new president and VP have added more than she's removed.:crazy: Lets just say I will need this November trip like no other.

High school seems to be going well or Joe (OK only 6 days in but I still have hope). He's still active in scouts and just also joined the Venture Scouts-the coed division of Boy Scouts for kids over 14. I was an Explorer Boy Scout (what they called it 40 years ago) when I was in high school. He has some sort of event every weekend for the next 6 weeks. He knows he has to keep up with his work on a daily basis to do all those fun things so hopefully that will do the trick to keep him on track. This weekend is a bike trip on Cape Cod.

Lizzy's playing in a league hockey team right now til varsity season starts around Christmas. One of her team mates broke her ankle & fibula at the last game and had to get it all screwed back together. OUCH! Her Mom said the screws will come out in 4 months but she can skate again in 2 months. YIKES....I don't know that I would want Lizzy on ice with screws in her ankle....

Emma's playing soccer this fall. Hopefully the heat wave is over because she doesn't enjoy playing in the heat. She's really our easy one-she goes to school, does her work and comes home with As with very little intervention from us. She had a real growth spurt this spring/summer. She's taller than Lizzy now.

I got my Disney ticket and added it to DME so I can make fast pass selections in 3 days.

You'll do great! And I know you'll love all the excitement of a race.

Love the 1st day of school photo.

How great for Max to have a new buddy in the house.

I am glad they finally hired someone competent for you - such a bummer that they have piled on so much more work though - that seems to be happening everywhere these days.

Sounds like the kids are doing good in school this year, and all of them have exciting things going on!

Emily is taller than Lizzie???? Really??? Wow!!! That is a growth spurt!

Yay for having your tickets ready to go - just in the nick of time. ::yes::

Looking forward to meeting up with you again Bernadette! :thumbsup2

I've been reading along. Love your running--I'm a slogger. Not a runner or a jogger but I slog along, so I can relate. I'm trying to get back into it after major surgery in February--it is not easy to get back in shape. I've mostly been walking (about a 17 minute mile). I think I'm ready to add some running back in.

Good luck on your 5K, you'll do great. I bet you'll find your time improves when you are running with others. It's exciting and motivating to run in a race!

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. I'm curious about the different touring styles--It will be fun to see the comparisons!

Welcome! Hahaha... Maybe that's what I am too???? Because my pace is definitely NOT a runner pace... I'd be very lucky not to get swept right now in any Disney race, and the balloon ladies would probably be in my sights the entire time.

Thank you - I hope so... I ran yesterday and I had my best pace yet... We'll see what Sunday brings?

Thanks! I am looking forward to telling about it - it's going to be a magnificent trip - I just know it!

Again - welcome, thanks for stopping by! :lovestruc

Yesterday we came to La Vade, Maryland. The rain was on and off all day when we were driving. Today we woke up to rain and the rain followed us all the way to Newark, Delaware. We were supposed to drive for an hour longer, but when it started to rain really heavy we decided to stop early. So we are now staying in Newark, Delaware. Tomorrow we are going to Budd Lake, NJ where we are spending the night so we can participate in a geocaching event in Waterloo Village on Saturday morning before we are continuing on our road trip. I really hope it doesn't rain on Saturday when we're at the geocaching event.

I hope the rain stays away for you and Ulf... I am sure it's no fun geocaching in the rain. :thumbsup2

It's hard to believe that you were just here, and now you are so far away. I hope the rest of your trip is going well.

I'm excited for you to take this WDW trip, too. I think you'll have a fantastic time. And I bet you'll love your resort - whatever one it is -( I love Suzi's clues.) :)

Your dad sounds like he is pretty strong willed. I hope his edema gets better soon.

I have one that attaches to the laces on my running shoe.

The hardest things about running in the winter for me is trying to deal with the darkness and the ice. I like to run first thing in the morning, which is hard in the winter. But I love running through a fresh layer of snow - as long as it isn't too deep. The proper layers are important, too, and you'll learn how many layers work best. I usually went by the temperatures - long pants for anything under 55 degrees, mittens rather than gloves for anything lower than 30 - that kind of thing.I'd rather be a little chilly then to be too hot.

That must have been hard to raise the girls without Josh around. How long was he overseas?

Good luck on your race. I hope you have a great time.

I am so excited for this trip... We are getting so close and I cannot believe I get to see these girls twice in one year!

Me too... I plan to call him tonight... I was going to last night, and family life got the best of me.

I do love my Road ID - I find myself putting it other places, rather than my wrist. I feel like my wrist just gets too clogged up with the Road ID and my Garmin on it.

YEs, I think that is going to be really hard too... I think I am mostly going to be running in the afternoons. That's what I did yesterday - and timing was good for me... I was able to work all day... Then run... Then shower... Then make dinner. It worked out really well. So, for the moment - I think that is my "winter plan". I will still keep Sunday mornings though.

Josh was gone for 16 months total... September 2004-November 2005... However, part of that time was training in Kansas, but he wasn't allowed to come home between training and leaving for Iraq. Ironically - he left ON Thanksgiving day 2004, and arrived home on Thanksgiving day 2005... Absolutely the worst and the best TG of my life. I was so angry for a long time, that they took him on a holiday like that... It was really rough. It was a very hard time for the girls and I - but it really formed an incredible bond between us too... by the end, we were quite independent - still are. But we'd never choose to do it again and thankfully, we've never had to. :lovestruc

Thank you - I am a little nervous and a little excited... I have no idea what to expect. The parking map isn't clear and there is NO map at all of the course... Which really sucks - I'd kind of like to know where I am going ahead of time. Hopefully it's OK though. ::yes::

It's good to see you Sue - thanks for stopping by! :thumbsup2

Yesterday went well...

I did my heavy lifting right away in the morning....

I ate breakfast and went straight up to work.

I worked hard all day and I was able to get a lot done. I will have to work for a bit this weekend, but overall - it shouldn't be much.

In the afternoon, I went for a run... It was a nice crisp day - and perfect running weather IMO... Sunny, but not humid. I had my best pace ever - which was pretty cool... I still dislike those hills. I look at them when I am driving - and they look soooo tiny... but man, when you are running them - they are tough!

2015-09-10_14.50.14.jpg

Today - I am taking a day off from everything, and I am grocery shopping with BFF... It needs to be done! So, I need to be out the door by 7:15 to drop the girls at school... It's going to be a crazy day for me!

I hope you all have a great weekend - prayers and Pixie Dust to all! :grouphug:

D~

Last edited:
In the afternoon, I went for a run... It was a nice crisp day - and perfect running weather IMO... Sunny, but not humid. I had my best pace ever - which was pretty cool... I still dislike those hills. I look at them when I am driving - and they look soooo tiny... but man, when you are running them - they are tough!

I think that's an awesome pace for where you are in your training! And the hills might get annoying, but they are definitely helpful in building your leg muscles and endurance. I just had a hill workout this morning where I ran the same hill 5 or 6 times and it went great. :) You're going to have such a fun time on Sunday. I can't wait to hear all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter