• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They Should Make Margaritas a Snack Credit! - September 2011 Dining Review

Yay, another review :cool1:

We had the exact same table at CRT in October, isn't it amazing :cloud9:

I turned DH into chief photographer that day as I know he would have felt really odd getting his picture taken with the Princesses :laughing:

Belle was wonderful with him and was really having fun with him!

I totally agree that everyone should try and get a ressie here, especially those with their own little Princesses

Maybe he had it out for me....:lmao: I also found out they do a habanero margarita, which is not on the menu and we tried, surprisingly, it was LESS spicy than mine!

Ooooh! Good to know! I did not know they did a habanero one, that's a must do for my next trip for sure!!

I am really enjoying your reviews. I love it that you did a trip in honor of your dad. I lost my mother (and disney partner in crime) this past January too. I love it that you are doing so many things he would have liked. :hug:

I like your reviews, they're honest. I haven't been to Cinderella's Castle in years. Last time I was there the waiters dropped a whole tray of glassware on the table! :o We survived though, but it really kind of put us off princesses. I'm saddened by your San Angel experience, I haven't eaten there, but I thought it would be better. And the view of Illuminations from Japan isn't really that great because the trees block about half the view. I'd had the same thought as you, it seems like you can see the WHOLE lagoon...and then the barges come out and you can't see the center. :( sad, especially since now a lot of Illuminations is the water bits.

Looking forward the rest of your reviews!

obviously late to the party but wanted to say how much I am enjoying the reviews ...

... also wanted to chime in and echo your positive review of Cava del Tequila - it is one of our favorite places. We also just love the concept of it -> fits in with the local, is a mature option, and just a fun stop without being too over the top

I ordered the Jalepeno Margarita our second stop to the Cava - but "normal" heat and thought it was great. You noticed the heat but it definitely didn't override the taste

oh, and thanks to natebenma for the mole recipe.

My wife love mole and orders it quite often at texmex/mexican restaurants - be they authentic or not

So I figure I will get some brownie points for providing her with this recipe ...

... or a lot of brownie points if I actually prepare the dish for her :lmao:

Jen- great to see you posting reviews again!

Nice to have a glimpse of dining inside the castle. With tween/teen boys, I don't see us eating there any time soon.

Great table at CRT! Wow, what a big bowl you have! I wonder what the waitress would do if you asked for a plate of the bananas only.

@ TheMaxRebo- you are welcome! Please let me know if you (or your wife) make the recipe. It is really fairly simple.

Yay, you're back! :cool1:

That's a shame that the photographer wasn't willing to give you the silly picture as it sounds like it was fun and would have been a good memory to look at on a daily basis :laughing:

I know, I dug my way out from under my rock, finally!:rotfl:

I do really wish we had gotten the "fun" picture, but even now, we have the "not fun" picture, which we look at and remember the fun one... so perhaps it all works out in the end.;)

Yay, another review :cool1:

We had the exact same table at CRT in October, isn't it amazing :cloud9:

I turned DH into chief photographer that day as I know he would have felt really odd getting his picture taken with the Princesses :laughing:

Belle was wonderful with him and was really having fun with him!

I totally agree that everyone should try and get a ressie here, especially those with their own little Princesses

It really is an amazing table, I almost wish we had gone for dinner instead now, to see it all lit up at night would have been extra special!

Good move on making DH photographer... it was a lesson for me that I'm a bit nervous around characters that aren't enclosed in a fur-suit. :rotfl2:

Ooooh! Good to know! I did not know they did a habanero one, that's a must do for my next trip for sure!!

I am really enjoying your reviews. I love it that you did a trip in honor of your dad. I lost my mother (and disney partner in crime) this past January too. I love it that you are doing so many things he would have liked. :hug:

I'm sorry for your loss:hug: . I've found that this trip, and remembering this trip, has helped me more than I imagined dealing with losing my dad. I came back from the trip oddly comforted... sort of realizing that people may leave us, but they make us who we are... so they're never really gone.:goodvibes

I am sooo in!!! I love the title and so far the report is AWESOME!!!

Thank you!!!! :cutie: Hopefully the reviews will all still be relevant as it's taken me awhile to get them on here!:rolleyes1

I like your reviews, they're honest. I haven't been to Cinderella's Castle in years. Last time I was there the waiters dropped a whole tray of glassware on the table! :o We survived though, but it really kind of put us off princesses. I'm saddened by your San Angel experience, I haven't eaten there, but I thought it would be better. And the view of Illuminations from Japan isn't really that great because the trees block about half the view. I'd had the same thought as you, it seems like you can see the WHOLE lagoon...and then the barges come out and you can't see the center. :( sad, especially since now a lot of Illuminations is the water bits.

Looking forward the rest of your reviews!

I've heard better things recently about San Angel, perhaps they were dealing with a rough patch in meal quality or we just picked the wrong things to eat.

I'm glad you let me know about the view of Illuminations, I almost booked Tokyo House for dinner in February. (went with Le Cellier.... how could I not?:goodvibes)

obviously late to the party but wanted to say how much I am enjoying the reviews ...

... also wanted to chime in and echo your positive review of Cava del Tequila - it is one of our favorite places. We also just love the concept of it -> fits in with the local, is a mature option, and just a fun stop without being too over the top

I ordered the Jalepeno Margarita our second stop to the Cava - but "normal" heat and thought it was great. You noticed the heat but it definitely didn't override the taste

Don't feel bad, I'm late to my OWN party, the length of time it's taken me to get these reviews posted!:lmao:

I am starting to think we may have to launch a negative campaign of La Cava... because otherwise we're not going to find a seat there anymore! I kid. Of course.;)

Thanks for joining in, hope you like the rest of our lineup!

Jen- great to see you posting reviews again!

Nice to have a glimpse of dining inside the castle. With tween/teen boys, I don't see us eating there any time soon.

Great table at CRT! Wow, what a big bowl you have! I wonder what the waitress would do if you asked for a plate of the bananas only.

@ TheMaxRebo- you are welcome! Please let me know if you (or your wife) make the recipe. It is really fairly simple.

I doubt you miss all THAT much not eating there. ;)

I seriously considered asking the waitress for a plate of bananas... but by then I was just slamming my coffee hoping the princesses would go away. It's bad of me to say that, but so true....:eek:

Just found your food report and loveyour reviews so far!! And btw, I thought margaritas had it's own separate food group, therefore making it mandatory to support a snack credit? :confused3 :confused: No? :eek: Aw, man...sad face :rotfl2:

Can't wait to see the next installment!! :happytv:

Just found your food report and loveyour reviews so far!! And btw, I thought margaritas had it's own separate food group, therefore making it mandatory to support a snack credit? :confused3 :confused: No? :eek: Aw, man...sad face :rotfl2:

Can't wait to see the next installment!! :happytv:

First off, thank you for the kind words!!!:cutie: I'm glad you're enjoying the report so far.

I seriously :rotfl2: at your "sad face" comment. My best friend says that all the time... but truly, it totally deserves one! I mean really, how hard do we have to lobby to get margaritas in the Food Pyramid?;)

Trying to catch up on my TR right now (still stuck on Day One! :rotfl:) but I should be able to post the next review (Columbia Harbor House) soon!

First off, thank you for the kind words!!!:cutie: I'm glad you're enjoying the report so far.

I seriously :rotfl2: at your "sad face" comment. My best friend says that all the time... but truly, it totally deserves one! I mean really, how hard do we have to lobby to get margaritas in the Food Pyramid?;)

Trying to catch up on my TR right now (still stuck on Day One! :rotfl:) but I should be able to post the next review (Columbia Harbor House) soon!

I sat down and wrote a letter about that Food Pyramid thing we discussed. My mama always said if I was unhappy with something, I had to write a letter. I'll keep you updated on that status and we'll see how far I get. My argument is that margaritas are made from fruit. :rolleyes1 Maybe not? :rotfl2: *snaps fingers* Probably not. :rotfl:

It's funny, we (and when I say "we" I mean my DH, myself and my two terrors - they will be 13 and 15 upon departure), are going in Oct 2012 with DxDDP and have a list of most of the restaurants you and your hubs do, so I am so excited about your dining reviews. Again, can't wait for more, keep 'em coming (the laughs and the food) :goodvibes

And BTW, my reaction will probably be the same when I go to CRT for breakfast. I'll look like Smeagle from Lord of the Rings with my granola. "My precious..." :rotfl2:

I kid! I kid! I won't be THAT scary ;)

Loving your dining review. I badly want to visit La Cava Tequila, but we always have the kids with us and I understand it isn't a kid friendly place. Maybe I can stop and get one of their yummy margaritas to go. The avocado one intrigues me. Can't wait to read more !!popcorn::

And BTW, my reaction will probably be the same when I go to CRT for breakfast. I'll look like Smeagle from Lord of the Rings with my granola. "My precious..." :rotfl2:

I kid! I kid! I won't be THAT scary ;)

That is quite simply the best description of how I was with my jalapeno pretzel... I WAS that scary :lmao:

Loving your dining review. I badly want to visit La Cava Tequila, but we always have the kids with us and I understand it isn't a kid friendly place. Maybe I can stop and get one of their yummy margaritas to go. The avocado one intrigues me. Can't wait to read more !!popcorn::

Hey, welcome over here!!! I completely understand what you mean about the "kid friendly" nature of La Cava, though I did see a few families with small children in there when we were visiting. What you can do, at any time, is get a drink "to go", which is prefect if you're walking around the park with little ones and want to have a bit of "adult" time!

Though if you do this, go INTO LA CAVA.... the drinks at the kiosk outside are NOT the same. :thumbsup2

There ends my daily PSA.:rolleyes:

I know (hope??) there are a few of you reading these reviews who love food, so I wanted to get your opinions.

We're heading back in February for a short (3Night/4Day) trip to Disney, staying at the Contemporary. For our first night's dinner, I got an ADR for Citricos, as this was a place we hadn't eaten before.

Have you eaten there? Was it good? Is there another location along the monorail resorts that is WAY better? (Besides Cali Grill, already have plans to eat there!:goodvibes)

TIA!

Jen

I know (hope??) there are a few of you reading these reviews who love food, so I wanted to get your opinions.

We're heading back in February for a short (3Night/4Day) trip to Disney, staying at the Contemporary. For our first night's dinner, I got an ADR for Citricos, as this was a place we hadn't eaten before.

Have you eaten there? Was it good? Is there another location along the monorail resorts that is WAY better? (Besides Cali Grill, already have plans to eat there!:goodvibes)

TIA!

Jen

I love Citricos. I have a review in my February 2009 DR (link in signature.)

My parents just went back last weekend and said it was excellent. In the past 6 months they've eaten at California Grill and Flying Fish (I was with them for those 2) so I asked where Citricos would rank and they placed it just behind California Grill, but only because of atmosphere, they weren't able to rank just on food alone!

I love Citricos. I have a review in my February 2009 DR (link in signature.)

My parents just went back last weekend and said it was excellent. In the past 6 months they've eaten at California Grill and Flying Fish (I was with them for those 2) so I asked where Citricos would rank and they placed it just behind California Grill, but only because of atmosphere, they weren't able to rank just on food alone!

Thank you!! I'm pretty nervous as this is such a short trip and want to make sure I picked the best options. Great to hear a good review! :goodvibes

Columbia Harbor House

Tucked back behind the Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square, the Columbia Harbor House was never a place I had considered eating until hearing some very good reviews of it and a few suggestions (thanks Dee!:)) as well.

I also only have ONE picture from this place. That’s of our food. I honestly don’t know how this happened, because the place is really lovely inside. :confused3There are articles of nautical history covering every surface, and there is a ton of seating space (even upstairs!) which makes for a nice relaxing quick service meal. We found a lovely spot by a window to eat and watch the people come and go from the Haunted Mansion and the Riverboat.

Mike ordered the Shrimp and Fish basket, while I opted for the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich. (Tuna salad)

First off, the picture:

100_0399.jpg

Mike’s Fried basket was ok, though I would opt for the shrimp only in the future, the fish was certainly in the “fish stick” category, same as you’d get at home. The shrimp were actually pretty good, either due to the oil or breading they used. Cocktail sauce was moderately spicy (I love mine almost pink from horseradish, but this was still pretty decent!) and they had vinegar, which for my DH is a no no but for me is a necessity. Mmm….fish and chips….

I would not have ordered the tuna sandwich save for all the good reviews I read about it on the DIS. People, they did NOT mislead me. Who knew? It was actually the highlight of our meal! Not too much mayo, actual crunchy veggies, fresh lettuce and didn’t reek of tuna. If you like Tuna Salad at all, GET THIS. It’s that good.:thumbsup2

I wish I could say the same for the unfortunate Apple “Crisp” we got for dessert. The filling was OK, reminds me of those McDonalds apple pies they used to (Still?) have. It was in no way crisp, however, that’s got to be a misnomer. :sad2:

Fries were pretty good, also.

Above all, this is a great location for a fairly relaxing quick service meal, I suspect it would be this way even in the busier seasons, perhaps just try to go outside of the normal lunch hour (We were there about 1pm.)

I know that one was brief, but I wanted to make sure I included it, as the meal was pretty darn good for counter service!

Up next…. Wait for it….. LE CELLIER!

Yeah!!! Glad you liked CHH! It really is my favorite counter service place at MK. I think it gets overlooked because it gives off a "table service" vibe. But that is just fine with me.

Recently I quizzed my teenager about which CS places he wants to eat at in each park when (if) we go on his class trip. I think we get vouchers for CS meals. CHH was his choice for MK. HE loves the apple cobbler thing. I forgot to order it for him this summer, so he had to go into another line to get it. Note to self. Don't tell Nate that I have heard reports it may no longer be on the menu. :scared1:

We may get overruled anyway by the other teen boys and have to go to Pecos Bills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter