The wonderful dilemma with swimsuits

Just chiming in to add my vote for Land's End. I have two suits from them - a one-piece and a tankini with shorts for the bottom. Both are solid, supportive, flattering and built like Sherman tanks. You simply cannot go wrong for the money- these will last years.
Also wanted to point out that no matter how "curvey" you are, you will see numerous people much, much larger than you enjoying themselves in and around the pool. If you start feeling self-conscious, just wade on over next to one of them and you'll feel like a skinny Minnie! :rotfl:

Lands End and LL Bean get votes from me too!

My problem is a little diffy; Despite being a size 2 type, I'm over 40 and I have the screwed up c-section area from hell. I don't want a 2 piece that exposes midsection at all! I've found that I trust Lands Ends stuff to stay down and stay put even in the water.

But don't go to Disney without going to a pool. Its one of the things that they do so right with their properties.

OP, I think most women have a difficult time with swim suits and wearing them. Some more so than others such as myself. :scared1: This last trip in April we swam everyday and I had a great time. I realized all the stuff I was missing out on. No one knows me there so who cares. I also vote for Lands End or LL Bean. Not sure where you live, but here in NJ we have California Sunshine where you can buy different size pieces. They have all shapes and sizes. My cousin who is a size 24 found a swim suit there. They also have swim suit cover ups for walking around the resort. Have a wonderful trip.

Jusy FYI, one may feel more comfortable in shorts, but the skirts are actually more flattering for larger thighs. Shorts delineate each leg, "outlining" the boundaries between the legs if you will, which makes them look larger. Skirts blur the lines between the legs, making one look more streamlined.

BUT I would understand if the issue were LENGTH. You can get board shorts, which are nice and long, versus the swim skirts that tend to be shorter, and therefore may make someone sensitive about their legs feel more exposed.

Just some food for thought when choosing the most flattering styles!

In any case, I am with everyone here--it's DISNEY! It's hard to be the largest person at Disney in any case. LOL But even if you were, you can really let go and just enjoy yourself there in a way that no other place invites us to, don't you think? If we are all "kids again", remember what it was like to be a kid, who didn't give a rat's patoot what anyone thought of what you looked like in a bathing suit! Harness that aspect of being a kid again, and you will enjoy yourself far more!

Another vote for Lands End. I live in the tankini's with skirt bottoms in the summer by the pool. I have ordered many styles and find the Faille types to be the most slimming and flattering. I order a black bottom and white bottom with 2-3 tops and mix-and-match. Right now they have some great deals on their "Overstocks" sight.

A tip with Lands End to save on shipping is to go to your local Sears and order from the Lands End desk. Shipping right to your house will be free. You can also return and Sears for free. I found them to be pretty true-to-size. Good luck and enjoy the pool. Truthfully, I never think twice about how anyone else looks so I doubt they are thinking about me!

Kim

I've needed a new suit for years. I don't use one often (maybe a trip to TL or BB once every year or two), but the one I have is so discolored and stretched out. But I hate going shopping for swimwear; it's so depressing. :)

The Lands End options look great - thanks for posting about those. But I've never been able to buy swimwear without first trying on dozens. Even if they are my 'size' only perhaps 1 in 20 actually does fit. How do you all ensure you are selecting the right size and style when you mail order?

Susan

Lands End will have the measurements listed on the website or in the catalog. Find the size that fits your measurements the best. And go with that size. If, after you get it, it doesn't fit, you can return it to Lands End. Just don't remove the paper liner in it.

Hello there

I bought my last swimsuit from a company called woman within. I bought it online, they also send me catalogs. They have a lot of different sizes and styles to choose from. I got a saraong style one that I LOVE and a coverup. Its the first one I havent felt fat in in a long time! Hides stuff in all the right places ;) Take a look at them online!

Thank you to all who suggested Lands End. appreciate that...I guess I'll go with the idea it's vacation and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter