• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?? They're letting the public in to share the same preview at the same time as the package people and resort guests?? And still close at the same time?? This is seriously pissing me off. Why did I pay for an onsite resort room 2 months ago to see this then.

They are letting on-site/package people in 1 hour early.

Following Twitter worked, made it in for the first Potter soft open this morning, if only for 45 minutes Didn’t ride FJ—was waiting on a friend who never made it in—but got the feel of the land, visited every shop but Olivanders (line around the building all morning). Thoughts:

• Overall theming is incredible. Window displays, owl clock, even “pram” (not “stroller”) parking. I already felt Seuss Landing and Lost Continent put even Disney to shame—this place almost makes those two lands look like Dino-Rama.
  • Amazing selection of merchandise. All kinds of shirts, toys, etc.; Zonkos is almost the equivalent of a 365 Halloween shop, definitely need to return in October. That said, the stores are even more claustrophobic than I anticipated. I think the EPCOT shops in UK have more space to maneuver. Aisles are are tight—think Spencers Gifts in any mall. Zonkos is the worst for this, Honeydukes not much better. Not going to be fun with real crowds.
  • Uni nailed it with Hippogriff. The line, the cars themselves, Buckbeak…everything just works. Still only a C-ticket ride, but a perfect C-ticket ride.
  • Hogs Head is basically in the same location as the old “tree bar,” similar set-up. Hogs Head Beer is quite good—almost like a Bass Ale but with a noticeable undercurrent of sweetness. Not as big a fan of Butter Beer. Tasted to me like an Italian soda of butterscotch syrup and soda water, not the overall richness/complexity of, say, a Coke. Everyone seems to think the frozen version is better, will try that next time.
  • BTW, the restaurant may be authentic, but right outside a stand sells churros (!), pretzels and bottled Bud products Would be real easy to slip bottles of Coke and Sprite there as well.
  • Meet-and-greet opportunities with the French and Bulgarian wizards (from book 4), the train conductor, and the frog choir (each member of the choir represents a different Hogwarts house).
  • I know it’s common here and on other boards to rag on TMs as opposed to Disney CMs. But every TM I met this morning was friendly, courteous and clearly excited to finally be open. Their excitement was contagious. Just needed to throw that in there.

Silly question.....do the owls in the Owlery move? In one short video it kind of looked like they did, but then in another they didn't seem to be.

tumblr_l3b4xc5Duu1qc0q1zo1_500.jpg

OK, this has me worried. How bad is this ride? I know a lot of people are comparing it to Spiderman, but we've never done it, so that doesn't help.

We all suffer from motion sickness, does taking Bonine/Dramamine help?

I have problems w/ my lower back, but it ususally doesn't bother me unless I sit too long, especially on a hard seat.

I am also claustrophobic, how bad is it?

Any help would be appreciated?

OK, this has me worried. How bad is this ride? I know a lot of people are comparing it to Spiderman, but we've never done it, so that doesn't help.

I have problems w/ my lower back, but it ususally doesn't bother me unless I sit too long, especially on a hard seat.

I got queasy about 1/2 way through, and couldnt right it right away again.
I have back and rib probs, didnt bother them.
Didnt see any problem w/ claustrophobia as you're not enclosed in the bench.
To me, the only worry is the queasiness, but not a big worry. Not as queasy as mission Space at WDW.

Wow, I take a day off and the thread exploded. Just a few thoughts:

Regarding Preds adventure. From what a TM said on OU yesterday, Sat. a pooh sized guest couldn't get the shoulder restraint locked properly, and refused to get off. Not sure where on the ride he caused the full stop, but the ride sensors will stop the ride if one person's restraint begins to wiggle around. It's for their safety. And as we've heard, it takes 45 min to 1 hour to evac and 1-2 hours to restart at that point.

This is hardly the only reason why the ride has stopped this past week, (apparently one shut down was due to an operator hitting the wrong button :lmao: - that's why they have softs), but because of this incident, they decided to add a test seat near the ride on Sun. and why they've been more selective as to who rides it. For now, they are airing on the side of caution while they make some tweaks to the programs and ride hardware. They'll likely have some of it fixed in the next few months. (Of course they are also trying to reduce any reasons why the ride might stop, because they'd like it to run for longer than 30 min., and this is one thing they can do).

Now, about TMs being rude. I will agree that TM's should handle size related issues with compassion, but I have to say, on their behalf, this has got to be the worst work weeks of their lives. Think about it, would you want to work there right now. These guys are only human and are allowed to have their emotions too. Put yourself in their shoes. You work at this place that is supposed to be magical, but instead you get dozens of people yelling at you or complaining about things you have no control over. You have a boss that says you can't let larger people on, or your job's at risk for not following orders, or you've got someone larger than you giving you the evil eye and trying to intimidate you. Add to that the rumors of AP holders wanting to storm the castle like an angry mob. You might just get a little testy too. I know if I were working there and I said sorry the lights not green, and no one can ride if the lights not green and someone got in my face and argued with me, I'd punch them out. But then, that's why I won't work in a theme park with so many people. haha :rotfl2:

And one thing about the package date/GO date fiasco. Yes, Univ. handled it all wrong, but here's what I'm thinking happened (not to excuse their inability to make sure all departments were on the same track). I was told by someone who used to work for the company that built FJ last fall (2009) that they were supposed to have the ride ready for a GO date in mid May. Remember when the actors were saying they'd be there in May last winter? I think the day Emma and the boys were there was supposed to be the weekend of the original GO. However, FJ has been months behind schedule since the beginning. I think what happened was they planned for all to be ready for Memorial Day and the various departments were planning for it, but around late Feb. early March, after they started selling the packages, it became apparant that FJ was no where near ready for mid May. So they had a meeting with Jo, WB, and other execs and decided to push the GO back a month (on a date convenient for Jo and actors), but forgot to invite Guest Services, the Hotel Dept heads, PR, etc. to the meeting where they made the decision, and those depts have been scrambling ever since. That, if anything is Univ.'s weakness, that the depts aren't communicating with each other properly on this.

OK, enought for tonight.

I think you hit the nail right on the head! :thumbsup2

For those of you familiar w/ these things and also US, what is your opinion on Sept. I plan on taking my kids out of school from 9/12 to 9/18, shortly after it goes back, so they don't miss too much, it's generally a review month.

Do you think WW will settle down by then?

It is really the ONLY reason we are going to FL and US/IOA.

If it is going to be a nightmare to enjoy WWoHP, due mainly crowds and tight spaces, I don't see the point of going. The rest of the park may be interesting, but doesn't interest me enough to spend that kind of money.

TIA

You move a lot, but it is not rough. The moving is not spinning or upside down. It's more going on your back, pivoting from side to side, etc., as you would expect from a robot arm. My ears get battered on roller coasters but not on FJ. I rode it four times in a row and only noticed some queasiness the very last time. The transitions are smooth so it's not bad unless you are very prone to motion sickness. The ride vehicles are not claustrophobic but it might bother you if you don't like shoulder harnesses. I freaked out a bit when it broke down and we got stuck lying on our backs. I starting having a little panic attack because I don't like being 'stuck' in something I can't get out of, but that was quickly replaced with hoping the lighs would come on so I could see how things work and get pictures and wondering what it would be like to be evacuated. Alas, it was working again with 10 mins. I think it's actually a little milder than Spidey, which has actual spinning.

Walt, I thought the owls would move but they never did when we were there (and we sat there for a while eating baked goods).

I agree with the comment about the TMs. Their enthusiasm is amazing, whether it's yelling our their favorite House with guests as you board FJ or chatting with guests on the Hogsmeade streets. I love the things they come up with...my favorite comment was when DH was asked if he is a dragon keeper (he was wearing his old Dueling Dragons t-shirt). It really adds to the overall experience.

The only ones I've seen are the 4 founders in the window display, but there could be more. We got 2 Helga Hufflepuffs and a Salazar Slythern.

I dont know if this was explained or not but, Why is there an Ollivander's in Hogsmede? The shop is only in Diagon Alley. :confused3

Alright guys, I'm set to file a complaint. Anyone want to proofread? xD. I'm shooting this letter out tomorrow snailmail, so if you guys want to make revisions, please make them before 2 AM PST. I suggest anyone else who's unsatisfied with Universal's way of handling this situation make a complaint letter and snailmail it to them.

June 1, 2010
Guest Services
Universal Orlando Resort
1000 Universal Studios Plaza
Orlando, Florida 32819-7610

RE: Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package

I have been an avid fan of the Harry Potter series for several years so the news of a theme park was extremely exciting. After my parents made vacation requests at work and saved up the money, we booked a Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package with a Universal Studios Representative. We were very excited to visit the park, but comments from other package holders have unfortunately changed our minds.

When we booked the package on March 4th, 2010, our representative told us all of the various perks to having the package, as listed on the Universal website at the time. Our vacation was for June 13th to June 18th at the Best Western Orlando Getaway. I was well aware that a Grand Opening date had not yet been released, but that we were still to be allowed into the park. On March 25th, when the Grand Opening date was announced to be June 18th, I once again called customer service to make sure that we would still be allowed in the park. The representative assured me that we would still get in the park and that we were “lucky” to actually be in the park before the Grand Opening as the general public would not be allowed before then. More than once, I inquired, and was assured that the general public would not be allowed into the park until June 18th. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Today, June 1st, I found out that the general public has been allowed into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and that package holders have only been getting two hours inside the park. I am not the only package holder upset.

I’ve made several phone calls to Universal Studios with questions in regard to this. One representative told me that only package holders would be allowed. Someone else said that package holders and on-site hotel guests who booked before March 25th would be allowed. Yet another said that package holders and all on-site hotel guests would be allowed. Another representative said package holders, all on-site hotel guests, and annual passholders would be allowed. This varying information must be due to some sort of lack of communication. I am very agitated at this whole ordeal, as I believe we, as package holders, aren’t being given what we were promised. It is unfair that while Florida residents can book an on-site hotel room for tonight and get into the Wizarding World tomorrow, we had to book several months before for what we were told was an “exclusive preview.” Offering practically the same privileges to the general public is not an “exclusive preview.”

I understand that your annual passholders are your MVC’s. I also understand that people who booked the Harry Potter package only paid $15.95 extra for the Three Broomsticks breakfast. However, even though we as package holders paid hardly any more money that the general public would pay, we are entitled to an EXCLUSIVE package as stated on your website. We were promised the Wizarding World to ourselves and are upset that this is not the case. We as package holders were under the impression that the park would be open to us for the whole day, and not for a mere 2 hours. Your customer service representatives have been giving conflicting information, which reflects very poorly on the company.

For your information, the following forum has several complaints about Universal Studio’s improper handling of this situation. (this is where I put in the link to this thread, but because I don't have 10 posts, I can't post it up yet)

In closing, would you please advise me as soon as possible if Universal Studios is still interested in servicing me, or if what has happened here is your not so subtle way of telling me to vacation elsewhere.

I would replace the last sentence with something more like: "Please let me know as soon as possible how you intend to rectify this so I either receive what you promised or am compensated in a way that makes up for your abrupt change of terms to which I did not agree."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter