The What's For Dinner Thread - November '09(recipe index in OP)

Vickie, you must be so proud!!!! You've done great with "your boy".

Hi Steph...16 miles? WOW!

Thank you all for your thoughts & support.

After Greg spoke to Mike he asked me again about meeting Cameron Saturday & I was clear that I just can't. Until she makes the decision that adoption is 99.99% a sure thing I just can't do it.
I don't know who said it but Greg did think we could help her make up her mind........

There is good news Guiliana was born today and weighed 6lbs 12oz. Everyone is well :)

Dinner tonight was pepperoni pizza.

Congrats on Guiliana. My prayers are with you, as you and Greg make the decision about Cameron.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been keeping up and not sure when I can. We're dealing with some issues that are taking a lot of my time and looks like it will be a couple of weeks before it's resolved. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers and will be keeping up as much as I can.

Kathy, I hope that things resolve quickly. I'm so sorry about whatever is bothering you. Of course you are in my prayers, and will be for as long as you need them. Let us know if we can help.

The cleaning is, for all intents and purposes, DONE!!! I still need to pick up my room, but that can be done during the day today, while my pies bake.

Dinner tonight will be something fast, hot and kid-approved. I want them to eat something before heading to my SIL's house to gorge themselves on pie, so we'll probably have hot dogs or corn dogs. Something quick that they like.

I've got the ingredients put together on the counter for the pecan pie, which I'll start to put together in about 45 minutes. It takes the longest, as I have to brown the butter and then let it cool before the rest of the pie can be put together. After that, I'll make a white chocolate peppermint pie, a black bottom banana pie and a derby pie. We'll see where we are after that. Since we have 2 pie nights this year, I'm trying to stagger the baking. But, if I can get some done ahead of time, I will.

Dad is going to stay at my sister's house tonight, and then come the rest of the way to my house tomorrow, and he wants to take me dishwasher shopping sometime tomorrow. Home Depot has the model we want on sale right now until closing tomorrow, so we need to head over there to get it!

have a great day! I'll check back later, as I get the pies done.

Hey,

I obviously dont usually celebrate Thanksgiving but I damn tootin gonnae buy me a turkey thursday......because Im thankful.

Menus big enough to feed half of Scotland....Painting whole rooms....Cleaning like cleaning had just been invented...family drivin youse to distraction !!

Yes my fine lassie's Im Thankful...... THANKFUL WE DINNAE DAE THANKSGIVING !!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

But to all youse with stresses I do hope you get every thing sorted and get to enjoy your holidays...xx

Im with you every step here Maria.:hug:

Oh I have to tell youse what was for dinner..McDonalds !!

Yeh I know...:confused3 but it was a boys treat McD's.

We had his parents night tonight and my boy done good.:thumbsup2

Above average in Math,Reading and age 12+ in writing ( story writing,spelling,comprehension and stuff :confused3) and considering he is 9 I was well chuffed.

She also waxed on about his behaviour (wee bit chatty but as my boy no big surprise there ) and personality.

My proudest moment was when she said he was a good friend, a very supportive class mate and that he would do anything to help anyone.

She told us last month when they had the pupil council elections that some of the kids were very nervous and quite upset about speaking.
But the boy encouraged them and helped them all through.

I know his grades are important but this really made my heart swell.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been keeping up and not sure when I can. We're dealing with some issues that are taking a lot of my time and looks like it will be a couple of weeks before it's resolved. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers and will be keeping up as much as I can.

Vickie, you must be so proud!!!! You've done great with "your boy".

Hi Steph...16 miles? WOW!

Thank you all for your thoughts & support.

After Greg spoke to Mike he asked me again about meeting Cameron Saturday & I was clear that I just can't. Until she makes the decision that adoption is 99.99% a sure thing I just can't do it.
I don't know who said it but Greg did think we could help her make up her mind........

There is good news Guiliana was born today and weighed 6lbs 12oz. Everyone is well :)

Dinner tonight was pepperoni pizza.

Hey y'all,

I was sure I posted this morning but I must have goofed. Now I'm way behind.

Marisa, Take it easy please! Let Nan take care of you a bit. Prayers for everthing to be okay & progressing normally.

Maria, Prayers for you & Greg. I can't imagine how hard these decisions must be.

Kathy, Don't know what's happening but anything I can do to help, you just let me know!

Vickie, :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I choked on my water! You crack me up! Are you sure you don't want to come spend the next Pre-Thanksgiving time with me?? ;) I'm so glad the boy is doing so well in school! It's great for them to have excellent grades but to hear they are turning into such a good person so young is really special! :thumbsup2 Good Job Mom & Dad!

I spent this evening watching a movie & DancingWTS while ironing & folding napkins! Sounds like fun right Vick?! :laughing: Don't think I'm Martha, cause I"ll have to admit we have some strange traditions here. Fancy folded cloth napkins but plastic plates! But they are the fanciest plastic plates you can find! :confused3

But your place settings won't be complete without purple Knights of Nemesis cups! And one Caesar one thrown in for good measure. :lmao:

Stick to your guns!

I hope everything is okay :hug:

I set my table tonight and all my black cloth napkins have lint on them :confused3 I have rewashed them twice and I can't get them all the way "clean." Since my dinner is tomorrow night, and I need to work in the morning, they will just have to work!

I am on Marisa laptop and cannot figure it out. Had lots to say but will when she logs off

Thinking of all of you. Marisa is not doing too good, she thinks her kneecap slipped. She called the Dr and they are going to see what they can do. He is in surgery all day. She has an appointment tomorrow but I would like to get her in today

Vickie -- Congratulations to your boy! It is great to hear about the good grades, but really wonderful to find out he is such a good friend.

Maria -- Welcome Guiliana! I agree with everyone else...you need to stick to your guns on Cameron.

Kathy -- I hope everything is okay.

Oooh I like American Girl. What doll does she have?

She has Mia (the skater) and Julie. Santa is bringing her Kaja. Caili likes her because she has a lot of animal friends.

Good luck getting all of your cleaning done. I'm sure your family will love seeing your new home and city.

I am here typing updates in WORD and totally forgot to get Andrew on the bus and he fell back to sleep!!!!

Oh no! That's not the way to start your day. Greg is meeting us in Disney on December 15th.

Ann -- Good luck at the doctor's today. It is so hard with toddlers to keep them away from all the tempting toys.

Stephanie -- I don't know how you fit a 16 mile run into your schedule!

Tonight is our takeout night. I have to run now, but I'll check back in again later.

Glynis -- Have fun at pie night!

Aimee, I personnally like fennel a lot. Sometimes it is labeled as "anise" at the market. You could always buy sausage flavored with fennel, or gring up a little fennel seed and add it to the recipe...or just leave it out! i am sure the stuffing will be good either way.

Last night I made baguette sandwiches--mine with camenbert and arugula, John's with some of the leftover roast, arugula, parmesean, and truffle butter. I took pics but have not uploaded them yet.

Not sure wfd tonight...John was supposed to be at a work function so I took out one piece of chicken for me, but he just emailed me and said that he is not going because his head is bothering him (he has a sinus infection). So I need to figure something out.

Kathy, I hope everything is OK with you.

Marisa, I hope everything went OK at your doctor's appt.

Well I'm kinda glued to my chair. As some may know from FB my little Lizzy (my yorkie baby) had her teeth cleaned and lost or had to pull 4 of them she'll sit on my lap moaning and if I get up she tries to follow me and falls cause she is still groogy.

Poor doggy. (And poor Mommy). :hug:

Menus big enough to feed half of Scotland....Painting whole rooms....Cleaning like cleaning had just been invented...family drivin youse to distraction !!

Yes my fine lassie's Im Thankful...... THANKFUL WE DINNAE DAE THANKSGIVING !!!!

:rotfl: Exactly. I would be very thankful not to have Thanksgiving this year too! But I hope you enjoy your un-Thanksgiving dinner. ;)

Greg is talking to Mike who is Cameron's Dad so the saga continues.

:hug: Oh Maria, I can't tell you how much you have been on my mind with this. I'm praying for a good outcome for you, with as little emotional upheaval as possible. Please call me if I can help or if you just want to vent.

I told DH plan on sandwiches and freezer items for our pregame to Thanksgiving then leftovers till you are sick of them. 17lb bird for 5 adults and 2 toddlers...certainly planning on leftovers.

:thumbsup2 Good plan. Kenny knows that drill too. He asked me on Sunday what take out we were eating on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

:laughing: I break glasses too, although I am not partial to any one type. I probably need to get some regular drinking glasses before Christmas or I will be serving orange juice in martini glasses Christmas morning. :laughing:

:lmao: Heck, that just sounds like a reason to add the champagne and serve it in the champagne glasses to me. ;)

I hope everything is ok. Please call me if you need anything. :hug:

I spent this evening watching a movie & DancingWTS while ironing & folding napkins! Sounds like fun right Vick?! :laughing: Don't think I'm Martha, cause I"ll have to admit we have some strange traditions here. Fancy folded cloth napkins but plastic plates! But they are the fanciest plastic plates you can find! :confused3

:lmao: I love that. Although at my MIL's house, it is plastic everything.

Last night was leftovers. Not sure about tonight. I need to start my baking for thanksgiving. I made myself quite a list :eek:

If you have leftovers, feel free to send them this way. ;) If you will recall, I don't bake. I'm buying the cake I'm bringing to Thanksgiving dinner. Sheryl may remember it actually. It is the same "old lady cake" I had in Florida. The one Bob said he was coveting. :lmao:

I am here typing updates in WORD and totally forgot to get Andrew on the bus and he fell back to sleep!!!! I have to drive him now. Gotta wake the baby and get going. BBL...

That's a pain. Patrick would do that every morning, but Amanda keeps after him until he gets up. Bless her heart. :worship:

I have a pretty good idea of what we'll do while they're here too. Whether they like it or not is up to them. We like it here and we are the ones that live here so :snooty:.

I totally agree Bethany!

Dinner tonight will be something fast, hot and kid-approved. I want them to eat something before heading to my SIL's house to gorge themselves on pie, so we'll probably have hot dogs or corn dogs. Something quick that they like.

I hope you have a great time tonight.

I am on Marisa laptop and cannot figure it out. Had lots to say but will when she logs off

Thinking of all of you. Marisa is not doing too good, she thinks her kneecap slipped. She called the Dr and they are going to see what they can do. He is in surgery all day. She has an appointment tomorrow but I would like to get her in today

Please keep us posted! I hope it isn't what she thinks and is just the residual soreness. Prayers for her (well, all of you). :hug:

Tonight is shrimp creole I pulled out of the freezer. Have a great day everyone!

CRAP!

I am here typing updates in WORD and totally forgot to get Andrew on the bus and he fell back to sleep!!!! I have to drive him now. Gotta wake the baby and get going. BBL...

Yikes! I hope he made it in time!

I've got the ingredients put together on the counter for the pecan pie, which I'll start to put together in about 45 minutes. It takes the longest, as I have to brown the butter and then let it cool before the rest of the pie can be put together. After that, I'll make a white chocolate peppermint pie, a black bottom banana pie and a derby pie. We'll see where we are after that. Since we have 2 pie nights this year, I'm trying to stagger the baking. But, if I can get some done ahead of time, I will.

Yum. You know I don't bake... so you can ship a few of those my way ;)

Oh no. I was hoping it was just a strained muscle or something. I hope someone can see her TODAY.

Tonight is our mini Thanksgiving dinner - we have 3 other guests coming at 7pm. The turkey has been brining since last night and I hope it tastes delicious!

I'm sticking with the earlier menu I posted, minus the fennel (turkey, cranberry sauce, turkey gravy, au gratin potato, sausage stuffing, fried brussel sprouts with walnuts and capers, green bean casserole, lemon merin pie, crescent rolls, lots of wine!)

Not feeling so good so I'm staying home today to rest.

Quick check in...I took advantage of getting out of the house so early and did the last of the grocery shopping for Tgiving. All I need now is to hit the liquor store.

Nan/Marisa, I am so sorry that Marisa is having such a hard time. I hope that the doctor fits her in today. Please keep us posted when you can...call if you need anything and many prayers being said.

Becky, I hope John feels better.

Dinner tonight is a turkey sub for Andrew and an Italian for me. I also picked up some pizza and stromboli for tomorrow.

I just made the cranberry sauce recipe that I posted on the last thread and it tastes really good. For the dried fruit I used apricots, blueberries, cranberries and cherries. I also cheated on the orange and used a small can of mandarin. Yum!

BBL...gotta go clean my mess...I am so messy in the kitchen.

Feel better Aimee! I hope you have fun tonight. It is so nice that you are having a mini turkey day. What are your plans for Thurs?

ETA: I think he was on time. He scared the crap out of me when he walked out of this room...since I thought he already left.

Nan, poor Marisa...I pray she didn't slip her knee cap.

Lauri- poor puppy. I hope she feels better today. It's so horrible when they are sick & in pain & you feel helpless.

Aimee, you need a day of rest. How are you feeling?

Becky, I hope the "man cold" isn't visiting your house:confused:

Sheryl who are you cheering for on DWTS?

Glynis, you did some job with your house!!!! I read your FB page about the Hersey minis...I'll keep that in mind.

I think Greg finally heard me last night.

Dinner is pork chops...bbl

Bethany, enjoy your new home! You worked so hard to get there:goodvibes

Hey y'all,

Stephanie, I forgot to say WOW! on the 16 miles! that is something else! Have safe travels & a Happy Thanksgiving!

But your place settings won't be complete without purple Knights of Nemesis cups! And one Caesar one thrown in for good measure. :lmao:

That's funny! :rotfl: No I won't be using the Mardi Gras Cups! I will use crystal that doesn't all match!

Good morning everyone! My cake decorating has been delayed till tonight. I have chocolate cake staring me in the face I am strong no nibbling :thumbsup2 Am I strong or what?

Truth I went upstairs early last night so I couldn't see it.:rotfl2:

Bethany My stepmom had mismatched glasses and stemware. That way no one knew if you broke one or not. She had some beautiful glasses. She would go around to antique stores and salvation army stores and only buy two or three.

I would have had to leave the house to resist chocolate cake! I like your stepmom's idea! I might just do that before Christmas. I'm kind of bummed about the dishes. I will only have 12 this year, so I could take out the good china, but it's almost 100 yrs old. My great-aunt gave me her antique set years ago. With a bg crowd, I'm just afraid to use it. When DH bought me my new everyday dishes he only bought 8place settings. Good luck getting all the baking done.

I thought I quoted more.

Nancy, Lots of prayers for Marisa!!:hug::flower3: Gosh I hope she is wrong about the kneecap!

Kathy, You are worrying me now! Please call me if you need anything!

Gretchen, Bob was not the only one coveting that old lady cake! :rolleyes1 My prayers & thoughts are with you this holiday season.:hug: It will be hard, hopefully prayer will get you through it. :flower3:

Aimee, I wish I could have sent the fennel sitting in my fridge, that's not getting used. I'm sure your stuffing will be yummy without it!

Lauren, Sorry about the rough morning!

Stanley Steemer is coming this afternoon to clean my den carpet & A's bedroom.

Today I need to get all the glasses, serving dishes, utensils, all cleaned & out.

:confused:I'd like to do the bread pudding today. Is that too soon for a milk & cream filled dish??

If I'm not too tired, dinner will be halibut w fennel orange salsa & garlic bread. If it's too much well do take out.

Maria, Donny has been my fav., but I really never expected him to make it this far! After last night's dances, I think he did the best. I think Maya will kick his butt in the finale.

Feel better Aimee! I hope you have fun tonight. It is so nice that you are having a mini turkey day. What are your plans for Thurs?

ETA: I think he was on time. He scared the crap out of me when he walked out of this room...since I thought he already left.

We go to a big hotel buffet with my dad's family on Thursday. :laughing: on him scaring you!

Aimee, you need a day of rest. How are you feeling?

Eh. Sometimes okay, but sometimes not. More than anything I'm just exhausted all the time and my joints are bothering me some. And I had to buy another bottle of Tylenol...

Maria, Donny has been my fav., but I really never expected him to make it this far! After last night's dances, I think he did the best. I think Maya will kick his butt in the finale.

I pegged Maya as the winner from the beginning. Donny has done very well! I have also been impressed with Kelly.

I am thinking he might just win. Last night he was on fire! I too thought Maya had it sewn up but now I just think Donny will win definitely an upset;)

I've got the ingredients put together on the counter for the pecan pie, which I'll start to put together in about 45 minutes. It takes the longest, as I have to brown the butter and then let it cool before the rest of the pie can be put together. After that, I'll make a white chocolate peppermint pie, a black bottom banana pie and a derby pie.

Ok, my flight will take aboot 10 hours....LEAVE ME SOME !!

:rotfl: Exactly. I would be very thankful not to have Thanksgiving this year too! But I hope you enjoy your un-Thanksgiving dinner. ;)

I'm buying the cake I'm bringing to Thanksgiving dinner. Sheryl may remember it actually. It is the same "old lady cake" I had in Florida. The one Bob said he was coveting. :lmao:

I am sendin you all my love ower the water,I know the holidays will be hard but I think youse guys should get together and have a " Thankful dad was my dad " day !!

:lmao: Im remembering your story about your sister taking her cake as hand luggage and then it rollin down the street !!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tonight is our mini Thanksgiving dinner - we have 3 other guests coming at 7pm. The turkey has been brining since last night and I hope it tastes delicious!

Not feeling so good so I'm staying home today to rest.

Take care of you sweetie,have a nice night.

Sheryl who are you cheering for on DWTS?

I think Greg finally heard me last night.

Im so glad Greg has listened to you. I agree he was probly thinking meeting you would help Cameron decide but you need to protect your good heart sweetie.

And I know you didnt ask me but.....No brainer...DONNY O !! :worship::love:

Maria, Donny has been my fav.,

:cheer2:

Sheryl - Are the Saints playing Sunday or Monday ?

And its NE right ?

NE seem to be UK tv's love child so Im hoping we will FINALLY get to see The Saints play.

Its just not the same watchin a scoreline ticker on line !! :rotfl:

BBL....x

Gretchen, Maria, Ann, Kathy, Marisa - continued prayers for all of you.

Glynis - congrats on finally getting the house done! Have fun at pie night.

Bethany - glad you finally got a good rate on a car that will fit everyone. I hope your family gets down here safely and doesn't cause you any more stress.

Aimee - enjoy your thankgiving tonight! I hope you feel better.

Stephanie - 16 miles? Way to go! You've definitely been busy. I hope you are getting some rest in all thats going on. Enjoy your trip.

Well I'm kinda glued to my chair. As some may know from FB my little Lizzy (my yorkie baby) had her teeth cleaned and lost or had to pull 4 of them she'll sit on my lap moaning and if I get up she tries to follow me and falls cause she is still groogy.

I hope Lizzie is feeling better today.

Hey,

I obviously dont usually celebrate Thanksgiving but I damn tootin gonnae buy me a turkey thursday......because Im thankful.
Yes my fine lassie's Im Thankful...... THANKFUL WE DINNAE DAE THANKSGIVING !!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

But to all youse with stresses I do hope you get every thing sorted and get to enjoy your holidays...xx

Now THAT puts it all into perspective :rotfl:. Enjoy your turkey day, Vickie!!
And a big congrats to you and the boy for such an impressive report from the teacher!:cheer2:

:laughing: I break glasses too, although I am not partial to any one type. I probably need to get some regular drinking glasses before Christmas or I will be serving orange juice in martini glasses Christmas morning. :laughing:

Just add some champagne and serve mimosas! (to the adults glasses, anyways)

Good morning everyone! My cake decorating has been delayed till tonight. I have chocolate cake staring me in the face I am strong no nibbling :thumbsup2 Am I strong or what?

Bethany My stepmom had mismatched glasses and stemware. That way no one knew if you broke one or not. She had some beautiful glasses. She would go around to antique stores and salvation army stores and only buy two or three.

Good luck with the decorating. My Mom had different place settings. They were all Mikasa, I believe but the patterns were different. That was what she wanted so for several birthdays and christmas' that was her gift - a different place setting from each of her kids.

CRAP!

:eek: Hope you got Andrew to school on time.

Can anyone recommend (as if I have doubts :lmao:) a good, but not too expensive red wine to serve Thursday? I don't drink red, but I know my niece's in-laws do so I want to have something available.

Dinner tonight will be italian sausage in red gravy with pasta and broccoli.

Sheryl - Are the Saints playing Sunday or Monday ?

And its NE right ?

NE seem to be UK tv's love child so Im hoping we will FINALLY get to see The Saints play.

Its just not the same waiting for on line updates !! :rotfl:

It's Monday night and yes its New England. It's already getting crazy down here for that game!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter