The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Friday:

really basic, grilled some burgers, and topped with smoked brie cheese, served with grilled corn on the cob - no pics.

Saturday:

smoked some meatballs, and then put them in the crock pot for 2 hours w/grape jelly, chili sauce, worstershire, and garlic

smoked a bone in pork loin(rubbed with garlic, yellow mustard, and bbq rub)

2009_05300086.jpg

2009_05300088.jpg

2009_05300092.jpg

Sunday:

grilled some corn early, and used it in a salsa with tomato, avocado, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, parsley, olive oil, lime juice mango, dried cranberry, black pepper, and kosher salt.

also marinated some shrimp in olive oil, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and tequila. Grilled these and used them for tacos. served them with the salsa, queso fresca, sour cream, flour tortillas, and white rice.

for dessert, grilled some bananna's in their skin and then split them, poured some condensed milk over the soft insides, and sprinkled with Saigon cinnamon, and turbino sugar.. turned out really nice, like pudding.

pics to follow for Sunday's cook

Good morning everyone.

Ok I give up - You win. As hard as I try I can never get caught up in here. I always feel I can't post until I read so I can respond to everyone so then I don't post. But then I miss you all!! So I am going to post then I will try to catch up. Please do know you all are in my prayers and am sending good thoughts to all of you every day.

What a busy weekend we had. We painted our barn. Dug up our storm celler and loaded in 17 dump truck loads of dirt. I cleaned/vacuumed and went to a bridal shower on Sunday. Man I needed to come back to work this morning just to relax.

We are getting very excited for our upcoming trip. This time in 2 weeks we will be heading to Omaha to fly to Disney. We are staying at POP and this will be a big change for us. Doug and I have stayed at POP but when we bring the family it usually is the Contemporary or AKL. But I really felt we needed to reign in the expenses this year so POP it is. We will have a GREAT time no matter where we stay.

The boys are golfing tonight so I will be on my own. I brought a salad to work for my lunch so I think for dinner I will fix a Turkey sandwich, watermelon, fresh black berries and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

I tried these Strawberry shortcakes for dessert on Saturday and the family just loved them. So I thought I would share. We are all trying to watch our weight and fat a bit but still want something sweet once in awhile.

I took shortcake cookies (I found them in our bakery department. they were about 2" by 2" square) put a dollop of Fat free/sugar free coolwhip (this really was very good) on each cookie and topped each one with a strawberry half. Everyone got to pick their own and even if they took 2 the calories were only 45 each. These were a BIG hit. Thought you might like to try them.

Make it a great day! I will try to BBL

Ellen, don't feel obligated to read back. We are all chatty, and it can be time consuming!

Here are some photos from the weekend. On Saturday I grilled burgers. Beef on the left, turkey on the right. I did not want the turkey to be too healthy so I stuffed the middle with cheese! :laughing:

The buns are these new super thin buns that Arnold makes. They only have 100 calories, and they are pretty good!

3581637930_5bac681d99.jpg

I also made a pasta salad with arugula, feta, olives, and sun dried tomatoes:

3581638088_536e2d50b1.jpg

And another mojito! Hey, it was Saturday night!

3580826457_e4b63f7067.jpg

Sunday we had seafood mixed grill of tuna, swordfish, and scallops. No picture because my Mom was really anxious to eat. It was 1:30 PM and Liam had a 5 PM baseball game, so my Mom was pushing them out the door! She also made some eggplant sticks and a spinach gratin. No pictures of those either. I did get photos of the side dishes I made. Grilled potato planks:

3583593318_1de617c8fa.jpg

Grilled asparagus with balsamic butter:

3583593440_35578c80f2.jpg

Today is my wedding anniversary. 12 years of marriage, though we've been together for 17 years. :love: I am going to try and leave early to make us a good dinner. I bought some lamb chops for John and have some fresh tagilatelle that I think I am going to do in a mushroom-arugula-cream sauce. Probably a salad also, and some grilled bread.

The rest of the week's meals won't be as exciting. John has to fly to Houston tomorrow for work, so I will be cooking for one this week. He does not get back until late Sunday night. But then next Thursday we leave for vacation, so that is exciting.

Laura has been so busy with Greg home that she has not been posting. He got his orders to report to Airborne on Friday, so you'll likely hear from her again on Thursday evening.

Have a great day, all.

Hi Everyone,

Well, I did read back all 10 pages, and I see more people are joining the F+W meet. Becky and I were saying this weekend how jealous we are. However, I do like hearing the plans.

Nice food pictures Charlene and Kingcrab!

Congratulations to Kyle and Andrew on their great baseball games. Continued good luck to Andrew's team in the playoffs.

Aimee -- I'm sorry the adoption didn't happen this time. I hope Ace finds his family soon. I am glad that you now have a new pastor and some stability in your church.

Sheryl -- I hope you can find a way to go on that trip with Angelina. If Bob is comfortable with it, then you should be too.

Nancy -- I hope you're feeling better.

Gretchen -- How is your dad doing now? I hear you on the sleepless nights. It takes me days to recover.

Vickie -- I'm so glad your surgery went well. Take it easy and don't overdo it. Make sure you really stick to whatever post-op instructions you were given...that usually means no driving and no lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds for a while.

Lauren -- It sounds like you had a good, yet demanding, visit with your mom. It is hard for the child to be the caregiver.

Ann -- Good luck to your DH! It sounds like he has a terrific employer to be so understanding about you needing him around right now. I'm glad all is well with you and little Emma.

Marilyn -- I hope you are feeling better today.

Hello and hugs to everyone else...there was a lot to read!

Greg is leaving Thursday so he can report to Airborne School on Friday. That is a three week course, and then he'll be home for another month, so we don't have long to wait before we see him again.

Our party Thursday went well. Friday we went out to eat before Liam's baseball game. Liam pitched, and did very well. He pitched two innings and had five strikeouts. Saturday Liam had another game, and we just got takeout fish and chips and fried clams after his team won (it was only their third win...like Lauren about Andrew's team, I am hoping they do better in the playoffs...) and then we had dinner with my parents and Becky yesterday. That was mixed seafood grill (swordfish, tuna and sea scallops), roasted asparagus, eggplant sticks, grilled potato fries, and spinach gratin (it's one of Greg's favorites so my mom always makes it for him.) It was all good. Then Liam had another baseball game. The team lost, but Liam smashed a double and had a couple good plays in the field.

While I am bragging about Liam, on Thursday I was emptying Liam's backpack and in it I found two Certificates of Achievement. One was for placing second in the school on a math achievement test and the other was for placing third in the town on the test. That is out of about 500 fourth graders!

I guess I should get moving along now. I hope you all have a nice day, and I will keep up more regularly now. Tonight is skating so I am just planning sandwiches.

If I am not peeved with Buddy he will get a good dinner. If I am still mad he is getting salad with chicken on it.

:laughing:

Morning everyone. Dad had a rough weekend so I missed a lot and am now at work and honestly, just too tired to catch up today. Hope everyone is well.

Hugs for you and your Dad :hug:

Today is my wedding anniversary. 12 years of marriage, though we've been together for 17 years. :love:

:lovestruc Happy Anniversary!! :lovestruc

Greg is leaving Thursday so he can report to Airborne School on Friday. That is a three week course, and then he'll be home for another month, so we don't have long to wait before we see him again.

:yay: on a month long visit coming up soon!

I actually took a picture of dinner last night:
ry%3D400

This is the recipe:

Three Bean Farmers' Market Stew

This hearty vegetable-based dish makes a meal on its own, though you can stir in shredded precooked chicken in the end, if you like. Use all green beans if Romano and yellow wax beans are unavailable.

Stew:
3 slices center-cut bacon, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ounces (1-inch) cut Romano beans
6 ounces (1-inch) cut green beans
6 ounces (1-inch) cut yellow wax beans
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced plum tomato (about 5 tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided

Crostini:
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
1 garlic clove, halved
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

1. To prepare stew, cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside.

2. Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add red pepper; cook 20 seconds, stirring frequently. Add beans and salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, rosemary, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.

3. Preheat oven to 425°.

4. To prepare crostini, brush oil evenly over cut sides of bread; rub bread with cut sides of garlic. Sprinkle one side of each piece of bread evenly with rosemary. Arrange slices on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

5. Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese; serve each with 2 crostini.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 243 ; FAT 8.9g (sat 3.9g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.5g); CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 205mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.3g; SODIUM 783mg; PROTEIN 12.8g; FIBER 6.6g; IRON 3.1mg

Cooking Light, JUNE 2009

My changes: I have a sucky farmers market and could only find fresh green beans so I used a can of yellow wax beans and a can of italian cut green beans along with my fresh beans. I know, the horror of canned veggies :laughing: I also mixed in a bunch of shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken at the end. I couldn't figure out if you were supposed to use the bacon or not but I just threw it in at the end and it was tasty.

Tonight DH has a meeting so I'm eating leftovers.

Kat....White beans? Not red? *shakes head*

:lmao:

DH started his new job today:yay:.

Good luck Ron!!!

Morning everyone. Dad had a rough weekend so I missed a lot and am now at work and honestly, just too tired to catch up today. Hope everyone is well.

I'm sorry to read this, hoping Dad is better.:hug: Don't worry about catching up.

Ok I give up - You win. As hard as I try I can never get caught up in here. I always feel I can't post until I read so I can respond to everyone so then I don't post. But then I miss you all!! So I am going to post then I will try to catch up. Please do know you all are in my prayers and am sending good thoughts to all of you every day.

Same to you, don't worry!!!!

Today is my wedding anniversary. 12 years of marriage, though we've been together for 17 years. :love:

But then next Thursday we leave for vacation, so that is exciting.

Where are y'all going on vacation?

84d79321.jpg

Liam pitched, and did very well. He pitched two innings and had five strikeouts. Saturday Liam had another game, and we just got takeout fish and chips and fried clams after his team won (it was only their third win...like Lauren about Andrew's team, I am hoping they do better in the playoffs...) and then we had dinner with my parents and Becky yesterday.

Then Liam had another baseball game. The team lost, but Liam smashed a double and had a couple good plays in the field.

While I am bragging about Liam, on Thursday I was emptying Liam's backpack and in it I found two Certificates of Achievement. One was for placing second in the school on a math achievement test and the other was for placing third in the town on the test. That is out of about 500 fourth graders!

WOW, you must be super proud of that boy!!!! Great job Liam!!!:thumbsup2

Gee, I'd better get going, got lots of updating to the OP....

OMG! What beautiful food! Gosh I'm hungry now!

That pork loin looks so moist!! Yum!

I'm going to put that pork roast on the grill in a little while. The one I've been marinating in Mojo Criolla for days. Fix some black beans & rice. I now know we'll be drinking Mojitos too!

Y'all aren't going to believe this, cause I'm in shock myself. DH booked BCV for Thursday. This Thursday!! 3 nights, just us & we're taking Alexis. At first I was thrilled, but now I'm sort of freaking out. Airfare is $354 each, so I guess we're driving. I've got a lot to get done!

This time in 2 weeks we will be heading to Omaha to fly to Disney. We are staying at POP and this will be a big change for us. Doug and I have stayed at POP but when we bring the family it usually is the Contemporary or AKL. But I really felt we needed to reign in the expenses this year so POP it is. We will have a GREAT time no matter where we stay.
Im afraid the Deluxe hotels are just a dream for us but we stayed at POP last time and same again in October and it was great.....its all about getting to the magic !!

Im sure youse guys will have a wonderful time.:thumbsup2

Happy Anniversary....have a lovely night !!

Now thats some thing to be proud of....well done Liam.:cheer2:

Y'all aren't going to believe this, cause I'm in shock myself. DH booked BCV for Thursday. This Thursday!! 3 nights, just us & we're taking Alexis. At first I was thrilled, but now I'm sort of freaking out. Airfare is $354 each, so I guess we're driving. I've got a lot to get done!

Be thrilled...be thrilled !!

What a wonderful surprise......

Woo-hoo, Sheryl, on the surprise trip! :cool1: Alexis is going to be so thrilled. You will have a blast.

I think I am going to be in trouble with Greg on dinner tonight. I am just making sandwiches, and I was planning to make Greg an Italian meat sandwich...the only problem is, he has eaten all of the Italian meats! Now, he is going to be stuck with my vegetarian pan bagnat. :laughing:

How exciting!!!:cool1:

Whoo-hoo!! That is awesome! Have a terrific time!

OOH I want the recipe for the arugula, pasta, feta, sundried tomato salad! :)

Pretty please!

I will post the recipe when I get home. It's from this month's Cooking Light magazine. I don't remember the exact measurements of the ingredients. It was super easy to make. Plus, I just had some leftover for lunch and it was still yummy!

I think I am going to be in trouble with Greg on dinner tonight. I am just making sandwiches, and I was planning to make Greg an Italian meat sandwich...the only problem is, he has eaten all of the Italian meats! Now, he is going to be stuck with my vegetarian pan bagnat. :laughing:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Kathy, we are going back to the Caribbean. Same island as always!

Okay i cant believe im saying this............

Its 7pm on June 1st and its still too hot to sit out.

Scotland has a heat wave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool2:

How exciting! No fretting, you are going to have a ball!

:rotfl::rotfl:

Our party Thursday went well. Friday we went out to eat before Liam's baseball game. Liam pitched, and did very well. He pitched two innings and had five strikeouts. Saturday Liam had another game, and we just got takeout fish and chips and fried clams after his team won (it was only their third win...like Lauren about Andrew's team, I am hoping they do better in the playoffs...) and then we had dinner with my parents and Becky yesterday. That was mixed seafood grill (swordfish, tuna and sea scallops), roasted asparagus, eggplant sticks, grilled potato fries, and spinach gratin (it's one of Greg's favorites so my mom always makes it for him.) It was all good. Then Liam had another baseball game. The team lost, but Liam smashed a double and had a couple good plays in the field.

Good reason to brag! You must be so proud of Liam, great grades, good student, and a good sportsman!

Today is my wedding anniversary. 12 years of marriage, though we've been together for 17 years. :love: I am going to try and leave early to make us a good dinner. I bought some lamb chops for John and have some fresh tagilatelle that I think I am going to do in a mushroom-arugula-cream sauce. Probably a salad also, and some grilled bread.

l.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning everyone.

Ok I give up - You win.
We are getting very excited for our upcoming trip. This time in 2 weeks we will be heading to Omaha to fly to Disney. We are staying at POP and this will be a big change for us. Doug and I have stayed at POP but when we bring the family it usually is the Contemporary or AKL. But I really felt we needed to reign in the expenses this year so POP it is. We will have a GREAT time no matter where we stay.

Don't try to keep up, you are one busy woman! I am so excited for you...almost ready to go!

Good morning fine lassies! :) we are packing up to head home later this afternoon. Always sad for me to see other families starting their vacations when ours is coming to an end. This was our first trip in many years to not stay on property and I have to admit I felt like I was missing something. Next time! Well, I should get off here. We're going to see UP in dtd before heading to the airport. See y'all later!

I don;t like leaving day either, have a safe trip home!

:hug:

Becky, Happy Anniversary!!! Back to the island! :cool1::banana: That is nice!

Laura, Congratulations to Liam! That is quite impressive! :thumbsup2

Vickie, Sorry it's so hot.

I told Alexis that we're going to Disney on Thursday. She said " I'm so excited!!! I can't believe my Uncle Bobby is doing this JUST FOR ME!!!" :lmao: Oh yeah, the world according to Alexis! :laughing: It has nothing to do with Uncle Bob being totally stressed out at work the last few weeks. ;)

We haven't gone during the summer in at least 10 years. I'm sure we'll end up spending a lot of time out by the pool. That should be nice since every other trip we've pushed it getting in SAB & the water has always been freezing. Should be nice! DH was also able to get the Princess breakfast! He is on a roll today! :cloud9:

Kat....White beans? Not red? *shakes head*

My AP is doing a formal observation on Wednesday. Last week she told me and suggested I teach about hurricanes. Uh, no thank you. So I put the lesson to teach about different kinds of housing around the world and she is telling me I could "incorporate Katrina into it." uh....NO! Wth is WITH her and the hurricanes?

Maybe she's trying to scare you from moving down here?:lmao:

Maybe she's trying to scare you from moving down here?:lmao:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Or perhaps a case of sour grapes:rolleyes1

I told Alexis that we're going to Disney on Thursday. She said " I'm so excited!!! I can't believe my Uncle Bobby is doing this JUST FOR ME!!!" :lmao: Oh yeah, the world according to Alexis! :laughing: It has nothing to do with Uncle Bob being totally stressed out at work the last few weeks. ;)

Should be nice! DH was also able to get the Princess breakfast! He is on a roll today! :cloud9:

See..............it is all about Alexis :rotfl2: She's right you know, Uncle Bobby is the best!

Good afternoon everybody! Going to make another attempt at trying to keep up here this is a very busy thread.

KATHY- I don't know how you do it keeping everything so organized here.

LAUREN- Hope everything went well with mom this weekend. I guess she brought the team good luck.congrats to Andrew for me, kisses to Tommy. Tell Tom Dave is back in hospital.

SHERYL- A spur of the moment trip sounds wonderful! Enjoy yourself! I love the Beach Club ! Have a safe trip.

NANCY- My husband is always good for inviting people and telling me last minute, And I don't let him near the grill.

AIMEE- that stew looks delicious.

ANN-Hope you are resting. Lots of luck to your husband and his new job.I love jack daniel sauce.

STEPHANIE-Have a safe trip home.Would love to hear about it.

KINGCRAB-Once again great food pics.

ELLEN- 2 weeks! thats exciting have fun preparing I love packing and getting ready for the trip.The strawberry dessert sounds wonderful our problem is we would eat them till all the ingrediants were gone.

SCOTLASS-Send some heat over here.

OKW-Try and get some rest.

LAURA-Congratulations to Liam on his certificates.

BECKY- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!:flower3: A trip to the carribean sounds wonderful ! haven't been there in years.

WO! THAT WAS ALOT I HOPE I GOT EVERYBODY .

WFD-- Chicken on the BBQ and homefries!! Quick and easy.

You betcha!!:dance3: I won't be doing the booth cruising on Saturday, we don't get in until midday. Do you have any plans for Sat evening, I'd really like to catch up with y'all even if it's just to say "hi".:hug: Would you mind posting where y'all will be staying so I can include it in the OP?

Continued love and prayers coming at you!!! We really miss ya!:hug:

Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but I am officially an step-mother-in-law...even have the shirt to proove it! Rick's son Nick got married Friday night! The silly kids got us all matching shirts that say "mother of the bride" "mother of the groom" and all that...and bless their hearts they think I'm skinnier than I am...:rotfl2:

Kathy- we're staying at Kidani Village at AKV on the first weekend and at the Dolphin after we get back on Thursday from the cruise.

We probably won't be doing any of the sit downs or Jellyrolls.... I'm hoping for Jiko or Boma though....Rick's not really a table service kind of guy but I made him promise on one of those for while we're there- I've been dying to try them.

I started editing our cruise photos yesterday and as soon as I get them uploaded I'll post the food ones- I think there's a photo of just about everything we ate!

Sheryl- Have fun! (and be careful!)

Happy Anniversary Becky!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter