The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Oh I hope she works out!!

Y'all who are close to great seafood would be ashamed but I'm really craving Red Lobster :rolleyes1 Seafood in my area is few and far between, there are 2-3 seafood restaurants total, so Red Lobster is about it. I keep craving their biscuits, thanks to the darn commericals! We may go there instead of cooking...

Can I ask for some prayers for Ace the Foster to get adopted soon? :flower3: Yesterday I was out of town for work, DH was in the shower, and Ace was eating the center of the living room chair. :sad2: Needless to say, I got one of "those" calls from DH and though he's calmed down a lot, Ace really needs to go to someplace that is open to a puppy. This is why we DON'T do puppies. My poor chair is ruined... and to make mends with DH, I think we're going to buy a new one instead of get this one reupholstered. He has already chosen one that he wants :laughing: Whatever works to smooth things over.

Are you totally certain he didn't smear peanut butter on the chair so Ace would eat it? ;)

Kathy It you can't decide between the crawfish, soft shell crabs, roast beef po-boy think of me and have one of each :upsidedow. I have always wanted to try soft shell crabs but I'm afraid of eating wrong if that makes sense.

Sheryl I hope this aide works out. Yes communication is a very good thing. My cousin's wife has a terrible time around here getting aides that want to work. Since my cousin can't talk and is totally dependant on someone it is doubly scarey.

Bethany How are you feeling?

:yay: I'm glad it went well and glad you got a good stretch of sleep!

Tonight we are having the smoked gouda and spinach stuffed chicken with sauteed zucchini and squash. Yum!

This sounds AMAZING !! :love:

Can I ask for some prayers for Ace the Foster to get adopted soon?

Of course. :hug:

Kathy It you can't decide between the crawfish, soft shell crabs, roast beef po-boy think of me and have one of each :upsidedow. I have always wanted to try soft shell crabs but I'm afraid of eating wrong if that makes sense.

You need to make a trip down here so I can teach you all the cool things like pinching tails and sucking heads on crawfish and slurping down some oysters.;)

I'm concerned we haven't heard from Lauren in a while.:confused:

Of course. :hug:

You need to make a trip down here so I can teach you all the cool things like pinching tails and sucking heads on crawfish and slurping down some oysters.;)

Seriously...please...stop.

I thought you were my friend !!
:laughing:

Lauren posted yesterday Kathy,but she's not checked in today.

I was just thinking that, was hoping you knew something:confused3

All this talk of shellfish is making me hungry...

The adoption update was "ok" this process is just so long.

Hi Friends,

Aimee -- I hope you find a good home for Ace soon. I would be mad about the chair too! You need to come someplace with better seafood if you are craving Red Lobster. :scared:

Sheryl -- The aide situation sounds promising. I hope she is more reliable. Nothing you can do about appendicitis though, is there?

Maria -- Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Kathy -- I'm not so keen on the crawfish, but I'll slurp oysters with you any time. Sorry Vickie!

Glynis -- Funny story about the fish. They don't bother me. I think Greg (official Army Ranger and all) was most horrified when he and Liam brought home a bluefish after fishing, and I sat on the deck and cut it up. It didn't bother me, and that bluefish was YUMMY! Greg had a whole new level of appreciation for me. He was scared, but appreciative. ;)

Well, I probably won't be back until Monday night. The kids and I are going to my parents' house tomorrow, and we are staying through Monday. Have a great weekend everyone!

Afternoon all! Just finished posting a ton of pics on facebook from our weekend in PA, if anyone is interested. Well, still not sure what sis and I are doing tonight. We are going out and eating, but not sure if it will be at Riverfest or not. The entry is pretty steep for a couple hours and then we still have to buy our food. If we could go all weekend, I wouldn't mind buying a ticket, but since I have to work the WHOLE STINKIN' WEEKEND it just doesn't make sense. Maybe we'll head downtown to eat but just not go on the festival grounds.

Glynis--the fish story had me :rotfl2: I can only imagine!

Aimmee--praying for a quick adoption for Ace!

Sheryl--sending lots of good thoughts and prayers that this aide will be the "one"

KingCrab--sounds like a wonderful Memorial day at your house! Welcome!

I just talked to Greg, and he is coming home Sunday! :cool1: I might be MIA for a bit...I'll check in when I can.

Anyone wanna take bets on how many smileys I get on here and have to edit out? Last time I had 48 and the limit is 25. *sigh* LOL

Oh and a quick shout out to the FBI and the NYPD! :thumbsup2

Good morning, everyone! And I do mean GOOD! Alan and I made the decision yesterday that it's time to move Timothy out of our room and into his own crib. We knew that it would involve a lot of crying, as Timothy learns to settle himself down, and go to sleep on his own. However, it had to happen. I've been so exhausted with the number of times he's been waking up, wanting to nurse. So, last night at 8:00 I gave him a bottle (ramped up with rice cereal), fed him until he was drowsy, and put him down. He fussed a bit, but after about 10 minutes he went to sleep. He slept until 10:00 and then woke up, crying. We let him cry for 15 minutes, then Alan went in and patted him on his back and turned his lullaby music on, and he went right back out. At 1:45 he was up again, and by this time I really needed to feed him, so I got him up, changed him, nursed him till he was drowsy, and put him down with his music. No fussing at all! He just went right back to sleep, and I'm happy to report that it's now 7:21 a.m., and he's still ASLEEP! I can't believe how good I feel with this much sleep in me!!!! Hope it goes as well tonight!
Anyway, on to more important matters!

This is great news! :goodvibes I'm glad you were able to get some good rest. I know you were really needing some!

Here is a photo of my dinner last night. The experiment with skewering the shrimp on sugar cane did not work out so well. I think I cut the skewers too thick, so it was hard to push them through the shrimp. Then, the sugarcane caught on fire on the grill! It was OK though, I just took the shrimp off the skewers and you could not tell that anything was wrong with them. They were marinated in coriander, soy, fish sauce, pepper, and ginger. The glaze I brushed on was a reduction of pineapple juice, honey, sambal oleok, white wine vinegar, and more ginger. It was yummy! Sweet and spicy both. I just put them on some arugula and that was dinner.

Your dinners always look amazing, but I rarely have ANY idea what you are talking about!

Bethany~ Of course there will be eating:rotfl:I'm glad your feeling better but I think you need to keep yourself in all weekend, you missed pneumonia by a hair!

Nancy, Marisa & Bethany~ I had another brainstorm! I could pick up Bethany & we could also head to Stamford & a place on the water.......

I'm glad you had such a great time at the concert and already have another one to look forward to!

Is the food going to be something I can pronounce and will recognize? :confused3

I need to get outside some. Both for the fresher air than what is inside my apartment and also because as I said earlier, the mess is driving me NUTS and I need to get away from it for a bit. I promise I won't over do it though! I'll probably just go sit in the park for a bit. Maybe get some sun before I blind somebody...

Your life has me both laughing and shaking my head in disbelief !! :hug:

It's never boring, that's for sure!

"The boy" sounds talented in several areas! (And shhh....don't let Kat hear, but I'm not crazy about seafood either...especially fish!)

Actually they both bought new lap tops that are outfitted with web cameras. So they are able to real time talk. They are able to say prayers together before he goes to bed and he was able to hear about his last day at pre school.

Bethany ~ Honey, I hope your day is going better. You should be almost over for the day. Please feel better - I worry about you.

Well I painted again at Stephanie & Marty's last night until 9:30. I am sore this morning. Up and down on that ladder really got to me. Tonight I am finishing the spare bedroom and upstairs bathroom and I am FINISHED. They want to move this weekend and I think we will let the youngens do it. We have spent every night there for the last 2 weeks. I want a bit of my Holiday. We shall see if that flys with them. Monday we are going to decorate graves, and that will take most of the day.

It's great that you have that technology to keep in touch. Totally not ideal, but I'm sure it really helps the situation out a LOT! :hug:

Thanks...I now get 3 days off! Woohoo! Only 24 more days left.

That is a LOT of painting! I used to think I liked painting walls, but actually the activity is quite dull. It's not so bad if you are painting with friends and chatting it up while you paint, but otherwise it's not that exciting.

ran or not you still get to live in Louisina, I am jealous of that. New Orleans, Cajun/Creole food, and all those mudbugs.. :)

Hi Kingcrab! I didn't see you enter the thread, so I'll say :welcome: now!

What you said made me smile. Not because you're jealous, but because I'm moving there in um...*goes to count*...39 days! And I've gotten a lot of really nasty comments about it, but yours is nice. :goodvibes

WHAT?????:headache:

We are very lucky. I'm trying to decide what to have tonight between crawfish, soft shell crabs, roast beef po-boy.....tough choice!:goodvibes

Okay...so this dumb meeting series we've been having is on a new way to lesson plan. Except it's not a NEW way, it's just a new TEMPLATE. And it's...bizarre. It uses different terms for what we're already doing, and there's this chart thing where each column is labeled. Well, the labels on the template don't match the columns we are supposed to be using words from in each box of the template. I was getting so confused (and it's almost humorous at this point because this is the THIRD session of this and people are still confused because, well, the stuff doesn't make much sense), so I said I was confused but was smiling because it SAID "Thinking Skills" but we were supposed to take a word from the "Depth" column in that box, NOT the "Thinking Skills" column as one would logically expect.

Well the AP put her hand in my face and said "It doesn't matter if you're confused. You're going to Louisiana." If I wasn't so sick I might have slapped the woman. Then, she turns to the teacher on the other side of her, who was confused about THE SAME THING and she starts rubbing her back saying "ohhh, what are you confused about?" :confused3 I was fuming at this point...especially since at that point the AP said something in Spanish that made everybody gasp - she cursed at me!

Then she got up to go do something, and I start venting about how we said the SAME THING but got totally different reactions. Another teacher - in a condescending voice no less - says "well, since you said it with a smile, it came across as condescending so yeah, she didn't like that." WTH. At the beginning of the meeting, I mentioned - NOT in a complaining tone no less - that the prior time we had met, we had been confused about the format and one other thing. She cut me off, telling us all that we would NOT be complaining and that I needed to stop. :confused3 She yelled at me in Spanish one other time too, when I rested my head on my arm because, well, I'm STILL A BIT SICK. :headache: What a day. I cannot wait to be gone from there!

To be honest, when they don't like something about you, they try to make your life miserable. They don't like that I'm leaving and it's quite clear. As if giving my smartboard to someone else was not enough, AFTER putting the boxes in my room in front of the kids. Their behavior is disgusting. No class whatsoever.

If it was Monday (Thank GOD it's not!), it would not be a difficult decision. Despite being sick, I still managed to make sure that the world was still spinning correctly this week! ;)

Oh, and sorry about the house troubles. :hug: You've been dealing with that a LONG time.

Y'all who are close to great seafood would be ashamed but I'm really craving Red Lobster :rolleyes1 Seafood in my area is few and far between, there are 2-3 seafood restaurants total, so Red Lobster is about it. I keep craving their biscuits, thanks to the darn commericals! We may go there instead of cooking...

Can I ask for some prayers for Ace the Foster to get adopted soon? :flower3: Yesterday I was out of town for work, DH was in the shower, and Ace was eating the center of the living room chair. :sad2: Needless to say, I got one of "those" calls from DH and though he's calmed down a lot, Ace really needs to go to someplace that is open to a puppy. This is why we DON'T do puppies. My poor chair is ruined... and to make mends with DH, I think we're going to buy a new one instead of get this one reupholstered. He has already chosen one that he wants :laughing: Whatever works to smooth things over.

I like their biscuits. And yes, you've had Ace a lot longer than you bargained for! He's more than 30 pounds though, isn't he?

I need more lessons. I'm terrible at it. :lmao: I get freaked out by the little beady eyes. Not to mention all those legs.... :scared: And oysters? Not even going there yet...

Okay I SWEAR I clicked on some more quotes. :confused3

Sheryl, I hear you on the phone. Mine is starting to wig out on me. I've had it since last April. I seem to have problems keeping phones for more than a year, so I think this one thinks it's done? It keeps freezing and I can't even turn it off; I have to take off the battery and then put it back. I've done that several times this week. I need a RELIABLE phone.

Hey guys,

I thought I checked in earlier but I guess something happened to my post. I had internet issues this AM, thought I checked in and just saw that my post wasn't here. :confused3

We had something quick tonight since A had practice...hot dogs, corn on the cob and baked beans. Not great for the diet but I did go to the gym today.

Maria, Glad you had a good time at the concert. I love Bruce too! Here is a little Springsteen/Secaucus trivia for you:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=53572802&blogId=106357129

Laura, So happy that Greg is coming home!!!

I just lost my train of thought...UGH! Fudge!

What days are you guys meeting in WDW? I may be coming with my SIL, BigMama...

Still have not found my train of thought...my mind is preoccupied...

Glynis, so glad you got some sleep...we are on day 4 through the night...:cool1:

OK, need to go find my train of thought or have another Cosmo...yeah, not a good diet day...

Are you totally certain he didn't smear peanut butter on the chair so Ace would eat it? ;)

Judging by the conversation we had about it, I'm guessing that's not the case - sadly :scared:

:hug:

Aimee -- I hope you find a good home for Ace soon. I would be mad about the chair too! You need to come someplace with better seafood if you are craving Red Lobster. :scared:

I know! But, most of the seafood I can buy at the store was previously frozen anyways so I suppose I'm not lowering myself that much by eating Red Lobster :laughing:

I just talked to Greg, and he is coming home Sunday! :cool1: I might be MIA for a bit...I'll check in when I can.

:banana::banana::banana:

I like their biscuits. And yes, you've had Ace a lot longer than you bargained for! He's more than 30 pounds though, isn't he?

He is actually 20 pounds! Interested? I can do a roadtrip to NOLA to bring him to you! :yay: Sorry about your crappy day. :guilty:

We had Red Lobster, and it was good. Hit the spot! I did VERY well, my WW friends. Scoped out the menu and nutritional info online prior and went in knowing what to get. It was a proud proud moment :laughing:

thanks, there is a slight chance of rain maybe tomorrow, but I think we should be ok.

ran or not you still get to live in Louisina, I am jealous of that. New Orleans, Cajun/Creole food, and all those mudbugs.. :)

I get jealous of the seafood & markets that our friends have on the East Coast! I guess the grass is always greener, the ocean deeper.... ;)

Can I ask for some prayers for Ace the Foster to get adopted soon? .

:flower3: I'm hope someone takes him soon!

Sheryl I hope this aide works out. Yes communication is a very good thing. My cousin's wife has a terrible time around here getting aides that want to work. Since my cousin can't talk and is totally dependant on someone it is doubly scarey.

Janice, the next crab, crawfish or po-boy will be eaten just for you! The sacrifices I make for my friends! :laughing:

That must be so hard for your cousin & his wife. :hug:

Thanks to all of you for the prayers! :grouphug: I ended up being at the grocery when she came, but DH liked her very much! She will start on Tues., of course there is one problem, she is pregnant & due the end of August! Hopefully the other lady will get well & we'll have backup. I will still need someone to do any lifting at least through the end of August.

:hug::hug: I'm praying for you. I can't begin to imagine how difficult this must be. :flower3:

Glynis -- Funny story about the fish. They don't bother me. I think Greg (official Army Ranger and all) was most horrified when he and Liam brought home a bluefish after fishing, and I sat on the deck and cut it up. It didn't bother me, and that bluefish was YUMMY! Greg had a whole new level of appreciation for me. He was scared, but appreciative. ;)

Well, I probably won't be back until Monday night. The kids and I are going to my parents' house tomorrow, and we are staying through Monday. Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm so happy for your family!! Woohoo!!!! :yay: Just please don't make Mr Army Ranger clean any fish! ;)

Sheryl, I hear you on the phone. Mine is starting to wig out on me. I've had it since last April. I seem to have problems keeping phones for more than a year, so I think this one thinks it's done? It keeps freezing and I can't even turn it off; I have to take off the battery and then put it back. I've done that several times this week. I need a RELIABLE phone.

DH is rather depressed that his phone is really acting up. :confused3 He actually went price the same one (razor) and realized it would cost him more to get another one, than a newer high tech phone.

Hi! Just poppiing in to say hey before I go get ready. We are going to Atlanta for the day. We will be eating at Ted's Montana Grill. I can't wait. I've got to do some searching and find a Williams-Sonoma nearby. I need to do some stocking up :)

Sheryl, how are you feeling? (sorry if I'm bugging you, but I know how painful it is to fall and you've been on my mind!)

Hi Ladies,

I have done a small bit of lurking over the past couple of days but just have not posted. I just have been real uncomfortable to sit for a long period of time, but I am not going to complain about it anymore...it is all worth it in the long run and she is going to be here before I know it.

Maria, like everyone else here we are praying for you and speedy adoption process. FYI, you don't have to ask to call me. (usually before 8pm is best however)

Laura, congrats to Greg. So glad he is being rewarded by getting some time with you and the kids.

Today we are going to my DB for a cookout. It is my niece's birthday. I dont mind going since I dont have to cook or do clean-up.

Have a nice holiday weekend all!!!
Ann

Good Morning!

I am trying to get my troops ready to go to a huge market in New Hope, PA...I want to try and leave by 10. My guys love to sleep in so that is a feat on the weekend. Andrew is up, surprisingly, and I have to wake Tom in a little while.

Not sure about dinner. Andrew has a game at 5:30 which means he has to be there an hour early and I have snack shack duty. What fun! I hate that they schedule the parents to work during their kids games. I guess its easier that way though.

I still can't catch up totally...

Ann, I am sorry you are so uncomfortable but glad that our new little neice will be arriving soon! :cutie: I hope you find some comfort soon.

Aimee, I hope that Ace finds a home soon!

Maria, I pray for you and Greg that the adoption will go quicker. :hug:

Kat/Sheryl, Did I ever tell you I had a crawfish as a pet once? I worked as a bartender at a fish market/restaurant and they got live ones in and they were so cute I had to take one...or two.

I know I missed alot...hugs for everyone! :hug::grouphug::hug::grouphug::hug::grouphug::flower3::flower3:

Have a great day!

Ann--please don't worry about complaining! We're here for you. And most of us have been there, so we understand. Those last weeks, IMO, are miserable. Take it easy.

Laura--great to hear that Greg is coming home! Have a great time with him!

Well, sis and I decided to gauge where we were going to eat by who had a great patio and great margaritas. So, you can tell we were really worried about food ;) Now, I've got to jump in the shower and head to work. Not sure WFD tonight. I'd like to grill out after work, but I might be too exhausted.

Good morning everyone!

WOW what a busy week! Today we are seeing Night at the Musuem II and then having lunch/dinner at Claim Jumper with a bunch of friends from the Chicago area.:dance3:

I will feel so good to have 3 days off. No particular plans we will just fly by the seat of our pants.

Aimee I hope Ace finds a good home soon.

Laura Have a good visit with Greg. It is funny what makes them makes them weak in the knees.:laughing:

Ann The end is near just try to rest as much as you can and not worry about keeping up with us. We will be here waiting for news about little Emma.:hug:

Sheryl Eat extra crawfish for me. Since the NO deli closed I haven't had any good crawfish and that has been years. I don't think the people around here knew what to do with them. Just no oysters please. I think there may be a restaurant down your way that I can't go back too :rolleyes1

Lauren Why does the fact you had a crawfish as a pet not surprise me. :rotfl2: What was his name?

I had better get my hair washed so it is somewhat dry by movie time :eek: I envy people that have hair that dries in least than a day.:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter