The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Add me to the list of people who struggle with ILs. Over the years, it has changed, but there are still times when there are problems. My favorite recently was when my MIL declared DH extraordinary and said Liam would never measure up. :mad:
That is absolutely awful. How could anyone say something like that about a child?! I hope he didn't hear her. Liam will show her how extraordinary he is someday and shut her right up.

Vickie, Aimee and Robin -- Add me to the list of people who struggle with ILs. Over the years, it has changed, but there are still times when there are problems. My favorite recently was when my MIL declared DH extraordinary and said Liam would never measure up. :mad:

What?! :mad: I, too, hope he was out of ear range when that lovely nugget of wisdom was shared.

Vickie, Maria, Aimee & Laura- add me to the list of rotten DIL, well at least in their eyes and they have never even met me. :rotfl: Don't get me started, very long story. It still floors me how stubborn people can be. I just can't imagine ignoring my beautiful DS when you live right next door to him. At least he has one set of sane loveable grandparents who treat him wonderful. Imagine, they do not even know we are expecting again. I could go on and on but I won't.

Wow, you're good to stay living next door to that. I think I would have moved!

Minnie my little dog is still feeling bad if she can have some prayers I would appreciate it. She is getting up there in people years. She is eating and going outside just laying around looking pitiful.

:hug: for Minnie

I did something totally totally stupid yesterday! I was feeling really good for once, right? So what do I go & do, yeah fall down. I was starting to get dinner together. I opened my big pot drawer on the bottom, went to get something out of fridge, turned around & forgot the drawer was open! Whacked the heck out of my shin & then fell on to the ceramic floor! It was one of those times where everything slows down & I had so much go through my head in those few seconds it took to fall. "Oh no, how could I be so stupid, I am not going to fall down, I'm not going to fall into the drawer! Oh no, I'm going to hit the floor & ruin my recovery!" I had mentally berated myself in those seconds.

I took ibuprofen & starting icing, my shin, neck & back right away. I'm not hurting as bad as I expected, but all the numbness is back & full on.

Update on Courtney, she was doing a little better yesterday with more meds. She is still in a good deal of pain. She is supposed to go home Saturday but her Mom doesn't think that's going to happen. Poor thing the more I learn & hear the worse I feel for her! She has a machine attached to her arm, that constantly bends & straightens it & it hurts like hell. She will be taking that home, wearing it for 6 hrs a day & also have to go to physical therapy! Poor girl graduates from nursing school next Friday. I'm wondering if she'll even be able to make it through the ceremony! I don't know why they scheduled this before graduation. :sad1:

Ouch to both of you! I hope you feel better soon, and I hope she is able to stay near the morphine pump as long as possible.

Quick prayer request for Angelina: She has a phone interview in a few minutes at 11:00 and she is sick with either a cold or flu. She sounds awful & feels yucky. Please pray it goes well!

Hope she does well! :flower3:

Today we are both off and getting things done around the house - we are hosting a dinner party on Sunday night and I don't want to spend my entire Saturday cleaning. Tonight I'm grilling mahi mahi, pineapple, and ham skewers over couscous. New Rachael Ray recipe. I am putting the orange beef on hold until I'm sure my colon can handle beef :laughing:

Good Afternoon All~

Kat, I'm not like the other gals & their inlaws. I will never forgive my inlaws for not coming to the hospital to comfort & support Greg when he was told I had a 50/50 shot at living. They also never recognized any miscarriages, surgeries. You can poop on me but not on the people I love.

So glad Kyle did well, I knew he would :thumbsup2

Lauren, glad "A" is better. Those house wives are a train wreck. I was disappointed that they picked all from the same family. The truck driver blonde was also on Platinum Weddings, they did that at the Brownstone also. I'm going to watch....I hate to admit.
Thinking of you today as you spend time with your Mom, please check in when your home, I know it's going to be a tough day.

Janice, so sorry about Minnie, I know how hard that is to watch. Prayers for you.

Nancy, Buddy is now an official shopping DIVA!!!!:rotfl:Maybe you could take Greg, I keep reminding him he needs some things for the cruise but he's not moving...I'm sure the week before he'll realize shopping needs to be done & you know I will be doing it.

I'm going to try a baked corn dish & pear pie this weekend that I read about in the Beverly Lewis book series. Some really interesting dishes in the Amish community.
Tonight take out......BBL

Vickie, Maria, Aimee & Laura- add me to the list of rotten DIL, well at least in their eyes and they have never even met me. :rotfl: Don't get me started, very long story. It still floors me how stubborn people can be. I just can't imagine ignoring my beautiful DS when you live right next door to him. At least he has one set of sane loveable grandparents who treat him wonderful. Imagine, they do not even know we are expecting again. I could go on and on but I won't.

No way.....that makes me sad AND mad !!

All I can say (coz I will get banned ) is its their lose.

Morning Y'all,

I did something totally totally stupid yesterday! I was feeling really good for once, right? So what do I go & do, yeah fall down. I was starting to get dinner together. I opened my big pot drawer on the bottom, went to get something out of fridge, turned around & forgot the drawer was open! Whacked the heck out of my shin & then fell on to the ceramic floor! It was one of those times where everything slows down & I had so much go through my head in those few seconds it took to fall. "Oh no, how could I be so stupid, I am not going to fall down, I'm not going to fall into the drawer! Oh no, I'm going to hit the floor & ruin my recovery!" I had mentally berated myself in those seconds.

I took ibuprofen & starting icing, my shin, neck & back right away. I'm not hurting as bad as I expected, but all the numbness is back & full on.

Will you please be careful lassie....take it easy.:hug:

He did great! He had his first confrontation with a coach over a call and he seemed to enjoy it, I guess it feels like payback time for him.:rotfl: He's doing a double header on Sunday. I'd love to go watch him but how do I attend a game and cheer for the umpire?:upsidedow

You should get shirts made....that would get a few looks !! :laughing:

Quick prayer request for Angelina: She has a phone interview in a few minutes at 11:00 and she is sick with either a cold or flu. She sounds awful & feels yucky. Please pray it goes well!

Sendin good vibes ower the water....:thumbsup2

Good Afternoon All~

I will never forgive my inlaws for not coming to the hospital to comfort & support Greg when he was told I had a 50/50 shot at living. They also never recognized any miscarriages, surgeries. You can poop on me but not on the people I love.

While I dont know the full story here I totally agree with you.

Some things can never be forgiven or forgotten.

And I if they havent already, Im sure they will one day realise its their loss sweetie.....:hug:

Ive had a good day today.

I asked for next week off work and it got okayed.

I finally got my hair cut and coloured and had a right good laugh with my hairdresser....who happens to be one of my best friends.

Hope youse are all well.

BBL x

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts and prayers for Jay and our family. It really meant so much!! Well, he is off and our goodbyes have been said. He is in Georgia at Ft. Stewart waiting now for deployment. They think sometime around July 4th. We are slowly getting back to normal - whatever that is. :lmao: But, thanks from the bottom of my heart, please keep 'em coming.

Welcome home! No need to say thank you, that's what families do.:grouphug:

I'm so sorry I didn't see this in time, hopefully it went well.:hug:

Kat, I'm not like the other gals & their inlaws. I will never forgive my inlaws for not coming to the hospital to comfort & support Greg when he was told I had a 50/50 shot at living. They also never recognized any miscarriages, surgeries. You can poop on me but not on the people I love.
I am the same way.:hug:

Sheryl- You fell?! Please rest and take it easy my friend!

He did great! He had his first confrontation with a coach over a call and he seemed to enjoy it, I guess it feels like payback time for him.:rotfl: He's doing a double header on Sunday. I'd love to go watch him but how do I attend a game and cheer for the umpire?:upsidedow

Good for Kyle!!!!!! If anyone can figure out how to cheer for an ump, it is you :thumbsup2

I missed this earlier, how did she do?

I was actually thinking of picking up the ingredients for next weekend because it sounds like an easy treat that Liam and Caili could cook with me and both enjoy (just need to make sure there are no eggs in the biscuits).

Most biscuits are safe, thank goodness!

Nancy, Buddy is now an official shopping DIVA!!!!:rotfl:Maybe you could take Greg, I keep reminding him he needs some things for the cruise but he's not moving...I'm sure the week before he'll realize shopping needs to be done & you know I will be doing it.

Not hardly a diva :lmao: He is the worst shopper on the planet! refuse to shop for him anymore because he tells me he will wear something and then it stays in the closet until I am tired of hearing why he won't wear it. At least Greg wears what you choose.

I finally got my hair cut and coloured and had a right good laugh with my hairdresser....who happens to be one of my best friends.

What a great way to spend an afternoon! I love going to the hairdresser!

Laura- I cannot believe your IL's :mad: That is wrong on way too many levels!

I know I missed a lot but I am so discombobulated! I have people coming tomorrow and have not made one thing yet, have not ironed my linens or steamed Kady's dress. And I have to get back to Enfield to pick up balloon bouquets later this evening so I am making time for a petite four. I think I will be up all night! BBL !

I'm glad to hear it...and not at all surprised. :thumbsup2 If it were Liam umping, I would go and cheer for him. I am a rather enthusiastic fan of both kids...sometimes to their embarrassment I think.

Ellen -- Happy Graduation!

Sheryl -- How did Angelina's interview go?

Nancy -- Everything will get done. Don't stay up all night, or you won't be able to enjoy the day tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the support. I really should clarify that it is my MIL who gives me fits. My FIL has helped my family out a lot in many, many ways, and I am grateful to him. He also made a point at one of Liam's games to tell my dad what a great job I am doing with the kids.

And no, Liam did not hear my MIL's comment. She is not a bad person, but she either doesn't think before she talks or she doesn't understand how what she is saying sounds to other people. Maybe both. In any case, it doesn't compare at all to Ann, Robin or Maria's situation.

I've had trouble deciding what to make for dinner tonight, so I am going with the standby -- pasta.

ETA -- I'll try to BBL, but if I don't, we have a crazy weekend. Tomorrow Liam has a baseball clinic, gymnastics and a baseball game, and Caili has a skating competition and two dance dress rehearsals. Sunday is the dance recital (and Becky's birthday!) For those on FB, I should have more video...I'm glad you liked the last ones!

I am soooooo sleepy! Got to work at 7 this morning.

Since I cannot concentrate worth nothing :hug::headache::yay: :rotfl:for anything you may need today.:thumbsup2

Dinner is going to be whatever I can throw on a plate and requires little to no effort.

Good morning. I've been MIA for a couple days and probably will never be able to catch up so I'm just going to jump in.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with... does anyone have Paula Deen's My First Cookbook? I'm looking for her Monkey Bread recipe. I borrowed the book from the library, but had to take it back and I forgot to write the recipe down first. I'm looking for the one that has 3 cans of biscuits.

WFD? Probably hamburgers, but I haven't gotten to the store yet, so that might change.

I'll check and see if that's the book I got Katie for Christmas. If I have the recipe, I'll post it.

ETA: I see you already found it. Hope it's good.

It's been a long, busy day today! I got to go to my Bowling Banquet this morning. We had brunch at Mimi's cafe. Yummy!

This afternoon, we had the kid's dance festival at the school, and that was a lot of fun. In between, we've been doing yard work. It's tough, but the yard finally looks great!

Dinner tonight will probably be mac and cheese, since it's easy and the kids like it. Alan and I are not going out tonight like we usually do. Instead, we're going to see "Miss Saigon" tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait!!! We'll go to lunch, as well!

Unbelievable isn't it. Just a short summary of situation to much to get into every detail. DH's lovely ex decided the grass was greener after she had gastric bypass and left her family and DH after 20 years. DH's parents did not know how to deal with the divorce and his mother thought he should just focus on his kids (16 & 19 at the time), not himself. A close friend set us up on a blind date and the rest is history. DH did not go looking for love it just happened. It is sad because everyone tells me if she gave me a chance she would love me, but according to my Step-kids everything is my fault. I feel bad for the kids being in the middle, but they have accepted me as part of their lives and we all get along. They can't wait for the new baby and just love Luke. There is alot more that that is it briefly, sometimes people are just to stubborn to apologize. DFIL has admitted saying many hurtful things to my stepkids but won't make piece...their loss.

I am so sorry you have to deal with ignorant people like this. It must be difficult with them being next door. As everyone has said it's totally their loss...how can you not want to know your grandchild?:headache:

I am so sorry you have to deal with ignorant people like this. It must be difficult with them being next door. As everyone has said it's totally their loss...how can you not want to know your grandchild?:headache:

Did I mention once the housing market changes the house is going up for sale!;)

This pregnant lady is stuffed...we just got takeout seafood, yum!
DH had Fish & chips and chowder. I had fried clams. So nice to have a friday night with my sweetie!

It's been a long, busy day today! I got to go to my Bowling Banquet this morning. We had brunch at Mimi's cafe. Yummy!

This afternoon, we had the kid's dance festival at the school, and that was a lot of fun. In between, we've been doing yard work. It's tough, but the yard finally looks great!

Dinner tonight will probably be mac and cheese, since it's easy and the kids like it. Alan and I are not going out tonight like we usually do. Instead, we're going to see "Miss Saigon" tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait!!! We'll go to lunch, as well!

Have fun.....Im going to see West Side Story with my mum and sister tomorrow afternoon and we'er gonna do lunch too !!

Have you seen it before ?

My big bad man o' man cousin has seen it 8 times and watches the DVD a least once a week !!

I think Miss Minnie is playing me. If I scramble an egg she will eat then run mind you run to her food dish and eat that too. :confused3 but until I make the egg she looks at me with those pitiful little brown eyes.

Kathy since she is a rescue I don't really know how old she is I am guessing around 11 or 12 from how long we have had her and what they vet has guessed. She does get seizures now and then but I don't think this is from a seizure.

Well tonight I am having a chicken breast with coconut curry rice. Then I am moving to my favorite lounging position to watch my recording of Lost and Greys anatomy.

Nancy I perfer to shop alone since I get irritated quickly if I can't find something I like and want to leave. I don't shop well.

Ann Sorry you struggle with inlaws problems. I would just kill them with kindness. I am the type to smile and wave at them just to irritate the stuffing out of them.:angel:

Have fun.....Im going to see West Side Story with my mum and sister tomorrow afternoon and we'er gonna do lunch too !!

My big bad man o' man cousin has seen it 8 times and watches the DVD a least once a week !!

I saw West Side Story & loved it!!!!
Have a great time with the girls, that is always so much fun.
Vickie, how far are you from London?

Sheryl, what happened with Angelina? Good news I hope.

Glynis have a great day with your hubby tomorrow.

Ann, just think of all the great nights ahead of you with your hubby ome in the evening:hug:

Does anyone know when Gretchen is due back?

We had take out Greek tonight...We ate outside the first time this season which always makes me happy.
BBL......

This is the only monkey bread recipe I have:

• 3 (12 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube/Bundt® pan.
  2. Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag. Cut biscuits into quarters. Shake 6 to 8 biscuit pieces in the sugar cinnamon mix. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the prepared pan. Continue until all biscuits are coated and placed in pan. If using nuts and raisins, arrange them in and among the biscuit pieces as you go along.
  3. In a small saucepan, melt the margarine with the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over the biscuits.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Do not cut! The bread just pulls apart.

I love West Side Story!!! Great show! I hope you enjoy it!

I think Miss Minnie is playing me. If I scramble an egg she will eat then run mind you run to her food dish and eat that too. :confused3 but until I make the egg she looks at me with those pitiful little brown eyes.

She's no dummy momma.....too cute.:hug:

Instead, we're going to see "Miss Saigon" tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait!!! We'll go to lunch, as well!

I have seen Miss Saigon live several times - including once on Broadway. So good!!

I actually worked a theater when I was in HS and it came to town - well, some parents were so irate that it wasn't family friendly. They came with their kids in tow and didn't bother to check the freakin' plot line? :headache:

Then I am moving to my favorite lounging position to watch my recording of Lost and Greys anatomy.

Have a box of kleenex nearby for both! I bawled like a baby! Both are SO GOOD!!!

Tonight's dinner was YUMMMMMMMMMY!

Mahi Mahi Skewers with Ham, Pineapple, and Ginger-Soy Glaze
Serves 4

1.5 pound 3/4-1 inch thick mahi mahi fillet, cut into 20 cubes
1 teaspoon Old Bay
1/2 teaspoon 5 spice
4 thin slices of black forest ham, cut into strips as wide as the fish cubes
1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled quartered and cut into 16 chunks (I used canned)
1 small red onion, cut into bite size pieces (I don't do onions)
Vegetable oil, for brushing (I used EVOO)
1/4 cup tamari sauce
1/4 cup honey
Grated peel of 1 lime and juice of 2 limes
1 one inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1.5 cups couscous
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (left out thanks to nut hating DH)
2 scallions, sliced on angle

1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium. Season fish cubes with Old Bay and Five Spice. Wrap ham around fish cubes. Thread the fish alternatively with the onion and pineapple on metal skewers. Brush skewers with oil, place on grill, cover and cook, turning occasionally, until fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

2. In small saucepan, bring the tamari sauce, honey, lime peel, line juice, ginger, and sesame oil to boil. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.

3. In medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and butter to boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and stir in nuts and scallions.

4. Serve the skewers on the couscous and drizzle with ginger-soy glaze.

Fast, easy, and tasty! We went ahead and grilled some asparagus I had on hand along with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter