The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

It is tempting but I need to get start will my budget even though I have lots of point left. Plus I need to replace some carpet upstair old cat plus carpet not a happy me :sad2:

Sheryl and Kat All I will say is use your best judgement. I really really really love Rosa :rolleyes1. Take care I won't be there to keep you all from getting into harms way.

Grilling sausages with onions with a salad on the side.

You have points left! Are you sure we can't tempt you? Please don't use that B word. DH has been throwing that word around just too much. ;)

So I only have to drink Rosa for you, nothing else?? :confused3:lmao:

I wish I could figure out how to get myself in here everyday but I will just take it one dinner at a time. Tonight we had RR Turkey, Cheddar, Bacon Burgers (from her kids cookbook) DS 15 is away at camp and DS 11 wanted to make dinner. Along with the burgers we are having roasted asparagus and tater tots. While DS was making the turkey burgers I cooked up the rest of the ground turkey for Lindsay's Kitty Chili tomorrow night!

Sounds like a very good dinner! :goodvibes

Let's see...WFD today? Not much! I'm still full from the big lunch I had! :eek:

I know that's true!;)

My mother has a stricture too, not sure what caused her's though. She has her's stretched every 6 months to a year, has to have it done again in about two weeks.

Do they put her under for it? Does she see a big difference?

My throat really hurts and is very uncomfortable. I am not having issues drinking and eating - it's like a big lump in my throat.

We went to Logan's for dinner, I got down about half before giving it up. It was tasty, though!

She has her's done most times at her Dr's gastro center, they give her Twilight Sleep. She is usually goofier then all get out and talks all the way home. :rotfl: With that one it takes less time and she seems more "with it". They just did a little look-see last week and she walked out to the car by herself, other times the nurse will walk her out. They actually have a "drive-thru" pick up lane. :rotfl:

If she has to have it done at the outpatient surgery center it is longer and she is really, really dopey and comes home and goes right to bed. They will do it there only if they have a hard time getting the scope in at the Dr's. There she will have to be brought out in a wheelchair by the nurse and I have to go check her out.

Good Morning! Quick check in...this summer is really putting a damper on my DISing! Andrew goes to camp next week so I thought that I would have some free time to catch up but I will be "Mommy Sitting" a few days.

Aimee, So glad they found something yesterday and hope you feel 100% soon. :hug: I hope today find you feeling good.

My neice has a small esophagus and has hers stretched every year. Before that she was always getting things caught that she learned the heimlich manuver so that she could get things out.

Turns out her brother, my Godchild, choked on a sausage on Sunday and wound up in the hospital to get it out, while in there, he got neumonia (sp);. He is out now though and doing OK. He was so concerned with not getting paid for work (he is a summer meter reader) while he was in the hospital...my sisters kids are such go getters...and Lucas loves his money!

Maria, :hug: I hope you have a chance to re-group yesterday from your day on Tuesday. My prayers are with you and everyone else involved in the adoption process - I have never really thought about the whole process and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Jack is one lucky little boy to have you and Greg. You are going to be such a wonderful Mother...:hug:

Sheryl, I am glad it all worked out with the aides. I hope you continue to feel good. Keep resting my friend. :hug:

Kathy, Thanks for that link for F&W! We are all gonna be sloshed!

Janice, I will have some Rosa for you too!

Gretchen, continued prayers for your Dad and your family!

Nancy, I never used wrinkle release before but have to try the recipe you posted. I love that Nola is blowing you kisses now. Everyday with Thomas is something new and it's so great so I know how exciting new things are.

Marilyn, sending good wishes on cleaning with your Mom.

I know I missed alot...please forgive me. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. have a great day!

Oh, Dinner will be out. I am leaving Tom with the kids and going out with friends for a friends bday. It's a BYOB so you know I'll be bringing the vino!

Have a great day my friends!

Nancy, I forgot to answer you about hiring an aide. When we signed with this agency, you agree to not make any other arrangements with thier employees or even up to 180 days after you stop using the agency.

So they have you over a barrel? Not a good thing for you....all pluses for them! I think my DH cousin helped the couple in spite of the agreement. I know believe it was on the QT.

Sheryl- I know that you have things that need to get done but please watch that hand!

Bob is usually very good about vacation costs & not flipping out or even watching what I spend. It's just all the expenses we're having right now, that has him worrying.

If you wanted to keep Buddy happy, you could just do breakfast & make sandwiches for the rest of the day! That wouldn't be much fun would it?!:laughing:

We tease Buddy a lot because he has this idea about himself that is nowhere near the truth! :lmao:Donny says he is domesticated but does not know it. Now for a man who would live on sandwiches at home, wolfs down anything I make him in the morning but who gets coffee and pastry almost every day when he is working.......he morphs into who looks for big breakfasts and good dinners on vacation. I was like.....you eat doughnuts almost every day, you cannot eat a danish and rice krispies today?

Nancy- I will let you know how the cleaning goes for us.

I really appreciate it. Good luck with the birds nests!

Dinner tonight is ribs for me, chicken wings for Caili, bratwurst for Liam and corn on the cob and green beans for all of us.

WOW! You are one good MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Maxie is doing better so far he is healing from his scratch, but he is still probably going to have to get cateract out.We will see, I want him to fully recover before they do anything.

You have your cruise coming up you must be so excited about that.
I know I am I leave for Disney in 11 days.:cool1:

Hope that your little guy gets well fast! I did not realize your trip was so soon!

I am still pooped from yesterday.
Lily is still taking medicine for an ear infection so we have to wait for the eye doctor visit. The vet will schedule the appt. when I take her for a recheck when I come back from the cruise.
I just received a text & Emily is 1 of the 7 kids they are still auditioning.

Poor Lily :sick:

Good news about Emily!

Hey ya'll!

I finally get to go home the day after tomorrow. For 2 days.:lmao:

I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GLad yo umade it back home!

A friend of mine told me Febreeze is just fabric softener and water but I don't know that for sure.

I am up after my nap to get that anesthesia out of my system. I told my GI before I went under that my fear was there would be nothing found and that he'd tell me it was all in my head so he walked in the room afterwards and told me, "Good news! You have issues!" and then laughed that I was the only patient who wanted him to find something :laughing:

One of the "recipes" was the same one I used for the Wrinkle Release. Some have vinegar and baking soda as well. I sent it home with WElby last night to try becasue she had company coming by. She has two big dogs and with the rain lately she said she was afraid that her house might smell like cooped up damp dog ;) It does not but I am interested to know what she thought.

My friend suffered from GI things for years, lost so much weight and was in constant pain. The Dr's had given up, her IL's told her she needed to see a psychiatrist and her poor DH was lost trying to help her. It was horrible for her. I figured she neded a psychiatrist just to keep her sanity through all of that. SHe ended up with multiple issues but is so much better now that the Dr's confirmed she also had issues!

I did nto understand half of what you said but I did understand why you are oin so much pain. I hoep the new meds will help in order that you avoid more surgery. :hug:

I wish I could figure out how to get myself in here everyday but I will just take it one dinner at a time.

Don't worry, stop in when you can!

I thought dinner was a disappointment last night. I made orange salmon, curried sweets, a cucumber, tomato and onion salad for Buddy and leftover asparagus for me. Buddy liked the fish but I think I let it sit with the rub on it too long. Kind if like it was cured before I cooked it :sad2: Bud thought I was too fussy but at the cost of king salmon it is a shame if it is less than really good.

I have WW this morning and a few errands at the same time. It is pouring so I am not looking forward to going out. I cannot take Nola to the evening meeting anymore, all day long we encourage her to talk, move and to respond to us. It is not fair to try to contain all of that energy and exuberance for over an hour and not fair to the others to try to filter her out. This meeting is geared to include children so it is better for all of us. I'll figure dinner out later.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thank you for all the love and support. It means so very much!

Dad, well, I just don't know what to say. Like I told Maria, he didn't get his last two scheduled chemo treatments. The first one he didn't get because he was dehydrated. The most recent he didn't get because he was anemic. He received a couple of transfusions instead. Those have helped him have more energy and feel better (also I think he is feeling better because he didn't get any chemo for the last two weeks).

I know I should post more often, but I am reading daily to keep up. Still REALLY looking forward to October.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thank you for all the love and support. It means so very much!

Dad, well, I just don't know what to say. Like I told Maria, he didn't get his last two scheduled chemo treatments. The first one he didn't get because he was dehydrated. The most recent he didn't get because he was anemic. He received a couple of transfusions instead. Those have helped him have more energy and feel better (also I think he is feeling better because he didn't get any chemo for the last two weeks).

I know I should post more often, but I am reading daily to keep up. Still REALLY looking forward to October.

Oh Gretchen :hug::hug: Still praying and it's ok not to post I'm thinking of you.
My Mother-in-law is on her way to Mayo clinic in a couple weeks or so.

Hi all,

Just a quick hello and well wishes to you all.

I have not caught up and will be heading over to my parents today for lunch and some online shopping with DM. I found some good sales for DS at Gymboree and Rugged Bear. My growing boy needs a new fall wardrobe, and Grammy wants to shop and spoil him for his birthday in Oct. I love to shop, and find a bargain. Emma closet is loaded at this point and I have to see how big she gets before I spend money on her.

WFD- I am thinking grilled honey mustard ham steaks, but DH may protest...ham is not his favorite and we are trying to get his blood pressure under control and the salt is not good.

Janice, you have many Rosa toasts made for you in October!

Gretchen, please don't feel pressure that you should post more. You have so much going on. Just know everyone is here for you & praying. Can't wait to be with you in October! xo

Bethany, thank you for the prayers. Where did you have lunch?

Ann, try to put the ham steaks in a pot of simmering water for a few seconds before hitting the grill, you'll be amazed at the amount of salt left in the pot.

Sheryl, this agency stuff really has me pis*** off for you & Bob. It is so inhumane & irresponsible I just can't stand it. Praying that everything works out (very soon).

Aimee, hope today your feeling better:hug:

Lauren, enjoy the summer with the boys!!! I miss you but I'm so glad your having lots of pool time with your boys.
Have fun tonight!

Emily made it all the way! She will get a call by the end of August when she will have a start......or if. They have the final 4 kids "on hold" because the original cast are getting to tall or buffering for injuries.
She auditioned from 9am yesterday morning to 6:45 last evening. I'm so proud of her!

Dinner last night was burritos with ground turkey, Greg was not happy at all.Tonight I'm thinking the lemon spaghetti using Dreamfields pasta.

She has her's done most times at her Dr's gastro center, they give her Twilight Sleep. She is usually goofier then all get out and talks all the way home. :rotfl: With that one it takes less time and she seems more "with it". They just did a little look-see last week and she walked out to the car by herself, other times the nurse will walk her out. They actually have a "drive-thru" pick up lane. :rotfl:

If she has to have it done at the outpatient surgery center it is longer and she is really, really dopey and comes home and goes right to bed. They will do it there only if they have a hard time getting the scope in at the Dr's. There she will have to be brought out in a wheelchair by the nurse and I have to go check her out.

Thanks for the info! When I see the GI in a few weeks, I'll see how often he thinks I'll need to get this done.

I'm glad he's feeling better, but I know the missed chemos are not the best thing to do. I hope he's healthy enough to endure some more soon :hug:

Emily made it all the way! She will get a call by the end of August when she will have a start......or if. They have the final 4 kids "on hold" because the original cast are getting to tall or buffering for injuries.
She auditioned from 9am yesterday morning to 6:45 last evening. I'm so proud of her!

That's FANTASTIC!!! :dance3:

My throat is still very uncomfortable but I'm drinking with less pain right now. Thanks for all your kind words :hug:

Tonight I am going to attempt to eat my leftovers from last night. We went to Logans and I tried their grilled meatloaf - OMGosh so good!! Also had rice and mac and cheese but didn't get it all down.

Hey everyone :)
Sorry i have been such a slacker..i have been cooking, just a lazy reader/poster..i hope everyone is well!
I do have a simple question..i was thinking of just doing some grilled chicken over an easy pasta dish tommorow night, like olive oil/parmasean and garlic tossed..what would be the best TYPE of pasta for that? I am thinking fettucini..but am not too sure...thanks for any suggestions!

Hey y'all,

I don't know WFD tonight. I'm hurting a bit today & took meds this morning. I jumped into action when the aide almost let Bob fall out of bed last night. I guess she would have caught him, but I moved a lot quicker than she did. I also tried to hard to kill a roach in the garage, banging at it with the broom. :laughing: So if I miss someone forgive me.

Gretchen, Please don't worry or apologize for not posting often! We all realize your plate is way too full! We appreciate Maria checking in on you & letting us know how things are going! That's enough really. Just know that we are always thinking of you & praying too. :hug: :flower3:

Lauren, I'm glad your niece & nephew are both okay! I do miss you not being around as much, but I know with your boys everyday is a busy, busy day. :hug:

Nancy, We sure get a lot of laughs out of poor Buddy! Please don't ever tell him. ;) You know your WW friends will probably be upset when you show up without NOLA! Nan I've messed up salmon by marinating too long, it is really disappointing when you've spent a bunch of moolah on it. :sad1:

Ann, Have fun shopping with your Mom!:goodvibes

Maria, :cheer2::dance3: Yeah for Emily! Wow that is really exciting!
Thanks my friend for getting pis***! but please don't get too upset for us, we are coping with it! Why didn't Greg like your burritos? Turkey?

Lauri,:hug:

Aimee, Take it easy today!! (insert fussing Mom smiley here) You just had anesthesia yesterday, that takes at least a day to get over. I know you're throat must hurt, be careful with what you eat. You don't want to get anything stuck in your throat right now. I know I'm still having a little trouble with my throat, 2 weeks out from the surgery. For some reason chicken & the pulled pork last night are hard to swallow.

Hi Gina! Fettucini sounds good to me!:goodvibes

No need to post, as long as we know you're OK.:hug: I can't wait for October too!!!!!

That is wonderful Maria!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone :)
Sorry i have been such a slacker..i have been cooking, just a lazy reader/poster..i hope everyone is well!
I do have a simple question..i was thinking of just doing some grilled chicken over an easy pasta dish tommorow night, like olive oil/parmasean and garlic tossed..what would be the best TYPE of pasta for that? I am thinking fettucini..but am not too sure...thanks for any suggestions!

Fettucine would be great, my go to pasta is usually linguine!:goodvibes

Hey y'all,
I don't know WFD tonight. I'm hurting a bit today & took meds this morning. I jumped into action when the aide almost let Bob fall out of bed last night. I guess she would have caught him, but I moved a lot quicker than she did. I also tried to hard to kill a roach in the garage, banging at it with the broom. :laughing: So if I miss someone forgive me.

What are we going to do with you woman.....slow down(Yep, I'm fussin!);)

:hug:

Bethany, thank you for the prayers. Where did you have lunch?

You're welcome. We ate at this place called Port of Call. It's right on the edge of the French Quarter and it serves 1/2 pound burgers with a big loaded baked potato on the side. I was full the rest of the day! :rotfl:

Great news for Emily! :woohoo:

Ahem! Follow your own advice and take it easy! I suppose the catching Bob part was important, but the roach? :sad2:

Uh oh *ducks* Kat is fussin'! :rotfl2:

No need to post, as long as we know you're OK.:hug: I can't wait for October too!!!!!

I can't wait for October!!! Good friends, good food & good booze! "It don't get no better than that!":banana:

p.s. Bethany, That's a bit of Nawlin's slang, Ms English teacher!

Don't you fuss at me woman!! :laughing: Both Bob sliding out of bed & the roach were automatic reactions. As I jumped to grab him, I thought "oh sh*$! I shouldn't have done that!"

I can't wait for October!!! Good friends, good food & good booze! "It don't get no better than that!":banana:

Don't you fuss at me woman!! :laughing: Both Bob sliding out of bed & the roach were automatic reactions. As I jumped to grab him, I thought "oh sh*$! I shouldn't have done that!"

:scared1: That's not proper English? ACK! :rotfl:

:lmao: :rotfl2: And now you cursing. Shooooooot. You a hot mess ova dere! :rotfl2:

Gretchen, it is so good to see you, but please don't worry about us. Prayers are being said for your Dad. Please let us know how we can help.

My Mother-in-law is on her way to Mayo clinic in a couple weeks or so.

Prayers for MIL on the way.

Ann ~ have a great time shopping with your Mom

Aimee ~ please take care of you. You are so special to so many people. Rest and heal please!!

Maria ~ Oh sweetie, you are going to make such a good Mommy to Jack. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you play this waiting game. It will be SO worth it.
I hope Lily starts feeling better real soon.
:cheer2: to Emily

Gina ~ hi

Bethany ~ I miss you being around, but I am so glad you are where you are and out of NYC. Hey, how is your new puppy doing? House breaking?

Nan ~ enjoy WW and give Nola a big squeeze for me

Kat ~ been thinking of you my friend. I haven't even looked at a calendar yet to see when Matthew goes back. I have so enjoyed him being home for the summer. I will miss him SO much.

Laura ~ Yea to Liam and good luck as the playoffs begin

Marisa ~ how are you feeling? Don't rush it okay?

Lauren ~ enjoy your boys they are little for such a short time.

Sheryl ~ I am so darn mad about your Aids. There is NO excuse for that kind of service. I know you and Bob have it under control and for that I am thankful but you shouldn't have this sort of worry. My thoughts are with you both.

I am sure I have forgotten somebody and I am sorry. But know I think of you all daily.

Thank goodness it's Thursday and the sun is shining. I will try to get another day of my trip report up today. Enjoy or skip it - your choice. :rotfl2:

But that also means I will be on my own for dinner tonight. The boys will be at the Country Club. They get steaks after they golf - I hardly think that is fair.

I will probably get a Subway (I have a free coupon) and have a glass of tea.

Make it a great day my friends

:rotfl2:

:lmao: :rotfl2: And now you cursing. Shooooooot. You a hot mess ova dere! :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

You ladies are killing me here :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter