The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Nan--I took Emma to see the Hannah Montana movie last Sunday--and was a bit embarrassed to say that I really liked it! It wasn't as cheesy pre-teen as I thought it would be. However, I wasn't up in the aisle like Emma singing and dancing! She's 5 going on 13!

Not sure WFD tonight. It's "Kris Allen" day in Arkansas and we're heading to 2 of his 3 concerts. It's crazy! There are supposed to be 100,000 people coming to my sleepy little hometown to hear him. What I find odd though is friends of mine saying they are so ready for the AI thing to be over so we can talk about something else. I guess they would rather the news report of how bad AR education is, or how bad our teenage pregnancy rate is, or how the rest of the nation thinks Arkansans are a bunch of barefoot hillbillies. We are getting a HUGE stage to show the world how beautiful our state and people are and people are complaining. Geez!

Okay, need to get shoes on the kids and head out the door!

Well ladies this date is a no go. At least he has some good qualities he let me know he meet someone else. He could have strung me along for awhile. This other person lives closer to him. Oh well you never know who is waiting out there for me. Maybe George Clooney ;):woohoo:

Sorry about the date. But hang tough, Mr. Right just hasn't found you yet.

I hear ya on the stepson thing, mine is in jail again.:rolleyes1 I could use some new china.......;)

:hug:

I am taking Tommy Boy for his 2 month check up then to the butcher.
QUOTE]

How has that happened, Wow, 2 months already.

Morning Y'all,

Another one not starting out very well. I had an argument with my DH this morning all by myself! He just rolled away! Then I sent him a skype chat fussing at him. But he replys that he's sorry he didn't even know I was talking! If he weren't partially deaf in one ear, I really have to question that one. Again it was about the hired help.

Then Alexis was pokier than usual this morning but finally got her out of the door & to school. Came in hopped in the shower, got out ready to fix hair & knocked a full glass bottle of hair product on the marble floor. Shattered into teensy glass shreds mixed up with sticky hair stuff. Ugh, the day has to improve from here, right?;)

I was kind of upset about my hair yesterday. It has become super frizzy & dry lately & nothing is helping. I told my hairdresser & he said it was probably medications. Then he noticed it look damaged in layers/striations which he thought was strange. After questioning my meds, he suspects its my steroid/anesthesia injections I've been getting every few months. He thought a fresh cut might help. But then I woke up frizzy & wild this morning.

Unfortunately I had news yesterday, that has made me realize my issues are so minuscule. One of our young cousins (in her late 20's with a 2 yo) was told yesterday (by a radiologist!) that she needs biopsies immediately. That he suspects lymphoma. She has been going round & round for at least 8 months with her ENT over swollen & painful lymph nodes in her neck. He continued to insist it was a virus, then she found one in her breast & so here she is. Poor girl is worried sick. Her name is Debi, you prayers please add her to your list!

Keeping Debi in my prayers. I certainly hope your day gets better. :hug:

Nancy ~ Thanks for the prayers for Jay. You had me in tears about your Mom. I lost my dear sweet Momma 4 years ago and I KNOW that she is with us every day. It is so hard at this time of the year. Happy Mother's Day to you my friend.

Amiee ~ please feel better.

Kat ~ Matthew is going to be in an apartment with 2 others next year also. They already have a deposit on it. The part I don't understand though is they have to pay rent all summer to keep it. I think that is pretty shabby but what do I know. :confused3

I got home from work yesterday and my house looked like a bomb had gone off. OMG :scared1::eek: there was crap EVERYWHERE. At least 3 weeks of dirty clothes, refrigerator, microwave (that was SOOOOO dirty - OMG) printer and a lot more. So much so, I couldn't even place my groceries on my Kitchen table. I sat that boy down real fast and We had THE TALK. And to think I was so excited to have him home. ;)

WFDT ~ We are going to a BBQ for Jay's birthday tonight. His Mom & Dad are grilling Steaks and Brats. Another night I don't have to cook. Life is good. :banana:

Oh yummy, that's right up my alley!:thumbsup2

I just realized I forgot to post the recipe I used this with the first time. I will have to remember it this weekend. It was a recipe from Ellie Kriegers, from FoodTv, book.

Unfortunately I had news yesterday, that has made me realize my issues are so minuscule. One of our young cousins (in her late 20's with a 2 yo) was told yesterday (by a radiologist!) that she needs biopsies immediately. That he suspects lymphoma. She has been going round & round for at least 8 months with her ENT over swollen & painful lymph nodes in her neck. He continued to insist it was a virus, then she found one in her breast & so here she is. Poor girl is worried sick. Her name is Debi, you prayers please add her to your list!

:hug:

Putting together an antipasto platter for Bunco tonight. I have ham, prosciutto, salami, marinated mozarella, provolone, marinated mushrooms and two kinds of olives. Thinking of wrapping the prosciutto around some asparagus.

My prayers are with her :hug:

I need some help with this one. I am going to a cookout tomorrow night (in the rain) and I want to bring deviled eggs. I had some at a party and there was relish in it. Actually the woman who made them ran out of relish and just chopped up some pickle. They were AMAZING!! I was wondering if anyone has a real good deviled egg recipe that I could add some pickle to. Or maybe just use your deviled egg recipe..... THANKS!

Not sure WFD tonight. It's "Kris Allen" day in Arkansas and we're heading to 2 of his 3 concerts. It's crazy! There are supposed to be 100,000 people coming to my sleepy little hometown to hear him. What I find odd though is friends of mine saying they are so ready for the AI thing to be over so we can talk about something else. I guess they would rather the news report of how bad AR education is, or how bad our teenage pregnancy rate is, or how the rest of the nation thinks Arkansans are a bunch of barefoot hillbillies. We are getting a HUGE stage to show the world how beautiful our state and people are and people are complaining. Geez!

That's awesome posistive exposure for y'all! It's crazy to wish it away.:sad2:

Kat ~ Matthew is going to be in an apartment with 2 others next year also. They already have a deposit on it. The part I don't understand though is they have to pay rent all summer to keep it. I think that is pretty shabby but what do I know. :confused3

WFDT ~ We are going to a BBQ for Jay's birthday tonight. His Mom & Dad are grilling Steaks and Brats. Another night I don't have to cook. Life is good. :banana:

Happy Birthday to Jay!!!!!!

We had to sign a year's lease(including summer months) as well. But the rent is so much cheaper it's worth it to keep it all year. Here's a link to Kyle's apt. site if anyone's interested:

http://www.geauxstudenthousing.com/...mmons&t=template_acc_cento_res&siteid=2016620

Thanks all for the prayers for Debi!:grouphug:

Kat, Thanks for the Mother's Day Card!

Nan, Thanks! You are a dear sweet friend!:hug:

Marisa, You listen when Kady's not around! I don't know about you, but I get enough Hannah when Alexis is around, I get to here it over & over & over & over! :laughing: Sorry I don't have a go-to deviled egg recipe.

Janice, I'm sorry the date was a no-go. :hug: But gosh you were lucky to find a guy good enough to be honest & not string you along! There are so many out there, who would have done far worse. He wasn't the right one, that one is also waiting to find you!

Laura, I hope dress rehearsal goes spendidly!

Ellen, Happy Birthday to Jay!

I'm sorry but I did laugh at new predicament! Believe me I can remember having that exact same experience. YEAH THEY'RE HOME !! :cool1: oh, they're home..:headache:

Stephanie, Have fun at the concerts!

Oh Kat, Kyle's apt complex & the plans look just like Angelina's old place! It must be the same developer. The outside & the floor plans are exactly the same. I can't remember the name of her place, it was on Nicholson & Lee.

I haven't decided if I'm cooking or if we are going to the local market for dinner & music this evening. They are having a young cajun/pop singer & her band out there this evening.

I hear ya on the stepson thing, mine is in jail again.:rolleyes1 I could use some new china.......;)

:hug: So sorry Kat. What an aggravating pain in the butt. Have an extra glass of wine each night until it is over.

Well ladies this date is a no go. At least he has some good qualities he let me know he meet someone else. He could have strung me along for awhile. This other person lives closer to him. Oh well you never know who is waiting out there for me. Maybe George Clooney ;)

Nan's right Janice. It is totally his loss. :hug:

Sure! It was very tasty!

Gorgonzola-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Strawberry Gastrique

Thanks. That looks wonderful.

Ellen, Do you want to have petit fours or Pedi Four's? :laughing: We can eat petit fours, while we have our pedi-fours. :goodvibes

Sign me up for both! :goodvibes

Mornin.... ..no gorgeous George dreams, but i did dream i was in Bugsy Malone !! :confused3

Have a good one lassies. x

Your dreams are incredible! What are you eating before bed?!? :laughing:

Sunshine and in the 70s today!!!:cool1:

Sunshine and in the 90s here. :headache: We don't ever have a spring. It just goes from winter (although our winter is more like winter-lite) straight to oh my gosh it is hot and sticky out there.

I am taking Tommy Boy for his 2 month check up then to the butcher.

Gosh time flies. I can't believe he is already 2 months.

I'm glad that you are feeling better! I can just picture your Princess getting ready to visit her buddies in the Magic kingdom! :goodvibes How can that not be contagious?!?!?!

It is contagious. She knows the vacation is close because the suitcases are out and she is smiling and laughing each night. Kenny keeps worrying that she is going to get up at 6:00 each morning thinking "this is the day", but she is smarter than that. She knows that I LOAD the suitcases in the car the night before, so when she sees me putting them in the car, THEN she's up bright and early with all smiles the next morning. Honestly, she amazes me how she figures stuff out all on her own. Like when it is that Dora comes on TV each night. We don't know how she knows it is almost time, but she's almost never wrong and usually has it timed within 5 to 10 minutes either way. There must be a trigger, but we aren't smart enough to figure out what it is.

Have fun with Kady tonight!

Nancy- Buddy is a better person than me, there is no way you would get me to a Hannah Montana movie. Have fun Nana Montana.

:rotfl::rotfl:

He turns two months old and you take him to the butcher:scared1: Not mother of the year!

:lmao::lmao:

:hug: Prayers for her and for her family.

Tonight we have Caili's dress rehearsal for her skating show, so we're eating when she comes home from school. We might just have sandwiches. Liam is going to a friend's house, and I told the mom I would have him bring a pizza.

Tomorrow we have baseball, gymnastics, more baseball and the skating show, so I won't be back until Sunday evening at the earliest.

I'm tired just reading this. Happy mother's day to you too!

Nan--I took Emma to see the Hannah Montana movie last Sunday--and was a bit embarrassed to say that I really liked it! It wasn't as cheesy pre-teen as I thought it would be. However, I wasn't up in the aisle like Emma singing and dancing! She's 5 going on 13!

How precious!

I got home from work yesterday and my house looked like a bomb had gone off. OMG :scared1::eek: there was crap EVERYWHERE. At least 3 weeks of dirty clothes, refrigerator, microwave (that was SOOOOO dirty - OMG) printer and a lot more. So much so, I couldn't even place my groceries on my Kitchen table. I sat that boy down real fast and We had THE TALK. And to think I was so excited to have him home. ;)

:lmao::lmao: At that rate you'll also be excited to take him back. :laughing:

I need some help with this one. I am going to a cookout tomorrow night (in the rain) and I want to bring deviled eggs. I had some at a party and there was relish in it. Actually the woman who made them ran out of relish and just chopped up some pickle. They were AMAZING!! I was wondering if anyone has a real good deviled egg recipe that I could add some pickle to. Or maybe just use your deviled egg recipe..... THANKS!

Marisa, I wish I could help you, but my recipe is like: mayo til it looks right, mustard til it tastes right, salt, pepper. Paprika on top. I add pickle sometimes, hot sauce most times, and have added cheese. All depending on where I'm taking it and who's going to be eating it.

Tonight's dinner is takeout while I finish with the packing. I hope all of you have a very Happy Mother's Day!

Marisa- I love deviled eggs, but I don't have a recipe. I mix in mayo, dry mustard (or dijon if I don't have dry), salt and pepper. Then I stuff some of the eggs and top them with paprika. I mix in chopped onion to the rest of the yolks and then fill the rest of the eggs. Those get topped with parsley. The kiddo loves deviled eggs, but doesn't eat onions. She knows the ones with paprika are for her. I HATE pickles and relish, but don't see why you couldn't add them in.

Sheryl- Thinking of your cousin, it's scary how long the prayer lists are getting. Hopefully she'll have some answers soon.

Merle- I don't know what Bunco is (I do know it's some kind of game), but with food like that it sounds good.

BBL (hee hee, I finally know what something means)

My hives are gone! :yay: I collapsed when I got in, napped for a couple hours, and woke up to find them gone. Thankfully no ER visit for me.
That's great! :woohoo:

WFD - Grilling ribeyes using Sandy's rub (don't have fresh nutmeg on hand) and will have baked potatoes and salad.
I hope you like it.

He turns two months old and you take him to the butcher:scared1: Not mother of the year!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:
:scared1: That's the first thing I thought when I read Lauren's post too. :laughing:

WFD? No clue, yet. I have to go look through the Publix ad to see what's on sale.

Sheryl ~ praying for Debi & her family.

Janice~ Mr. Right is out there!

Laura~ Enjoy skating practice, I'm sure she'll do great!

Stephanie ~ what a great day for your town! Hope your taking pics.

Ellen ~ Happy Birthday Jay!

Gretchen~ I hope you will be checking in again. Have a wonderful time. We will miss you but you need a break & some joy!!!!! Enjoy ever minute of Disney!!!!!!

Have an update on my MIL, Leona. The doctor wants to treat the mass as an infection for 2 weeks & then repeat the PET scan.
Greg is on the train home & I can't wait to see him!

BBL:goodvibes

Gretchen~ I hope you will be checking in again. Have a wonderful time. We will miss you but you need a break & some joy!!!!! Enjoy ever minute of Disney!!!!!!

Have an update on my MIL, Leona. The doctor wants to treat the mass as an infection for 2 weeks & then repeat the PET scan.

Thanks Maria, I'll miss all of you too. And that is great news about your MIL. :banana:

Merle- I don't know what Bunco is (I do know it's some kind of game), but with food like that it sounds good.

It's a dice game and usually I call it Drunko! :rotfl:We have good food, margarita's and lots of laughs. I would love to have it at my house but it's not big enough to put 3 tables in it, we would have to use the deck, but we are WAY to noisy! :rolleyes1

Gretchen, have a great time! :yay:

:Sign me up for both! :goodvibes

It is contagious. She knows the vacation is close because the suitcases are out and she is smiling and laughing each night.

Glad the excitement is contagious! Hope y'all have a great trip & a wonderful relaxing Mother's Day for you!:goodvibes

I have you signed up for petits! Chocolate petit fours & Rosa, with hot pink polish and hearts, flowers & rhinestones for your toes!:laughing:

Treating it as in infection, that's good right? Glad your man is on his way back home!!!

Marisa- I love deviled eggs, but I don't have a recipe. I mix in mayo, dry mustard (or dijon if I don't have dry), salt and pepper. Then I stuff some of the eggs and top them with paprika. I mix in chopped onion to the rest of the yolks and then fill the rest of the eggs. Those get topped with parsley. The kiddo loves deviled eggs, but doesn't eat onions. She knows the ones with paprika are for her. I HATE pickles and relish, but don't see why you couldn't add them in.

Sheryl- Thinking of your cousin, it's scary how long the prayer lists are getting. Hopefully she'll have some answers soon.

Robin your deviled eggs recipe sounds like all most all of my recipes! I just tinker until I get it right.

Merle, Forget the pedis & petits, I want to come play drunko!

I have you signed up for petits! Chocolate petit fours & Rosa, with hot pink polish and hearts, flowers & rhinestones for your toes!:laughing:

Sheryl, you had me at chocolate (and well, the Rosa didn't hurt either). :laughing:

I'm flying out to get Kady but I wanted to check in

Gretchen- take lots of pictures, have fun and give Hailey a KK for me!

Maria- Infection....is that good? It sounds better than other things so I hope so!

Merle- i want to come to your parties!

BBL............love that BBL!

Adding Debi to my list.:hug:

It is contagious. She knows the vacation is close because the suitcases are out and she is smiling and laughing each night. Kenny keeps worrying that she is going to get up at 6:00 each morning thinking "this is the day", but she is smarter than that. She knows that I LOAD the suitcases in the car the night before, so when she sees me putting them in the car, THEN she's up bright and early with all smiles the next morning.

She amazes me. I hope y'all have a wonderful fun filled vacation!:goodvibes

Continued prayers for Leona. So glad Greg is heading home!

Sheryl, you had me at chocolate (and well, the Rosa didn't hurt either). :laughing:

I kind of figured that would get you! Bet I also bet you want rhinestones on you toes too. ;):laughing: I expect you to sit out by the pool & have a girly umbrella drink for me! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Lauren, I'm wondering how your butcher experience was? I've never done that, we really don't have many butcher shops around anymore. A few of our grocery store will take orders, but it's not really all that common here. I did find a new Middle Eastern store that has a butcher. He does mostly lamb & goat :scared:. But he was very nice & told me to come in on Tuesdays when he gets in the fresh lamb. He said "I cut anyting you want, you want leg of lamb, you want lamb chops, I do for you anyting." That was in my best Middle Eastern accent, which Angelina told me sounds like the woman in my Big Fat Greek wedding! :laughing: I'm actually considering it, but I know nothing about ordering from a butcher & then of course there is the language barrier. But I'm thinking I might get really good prices & very fresh meat.

Now that the y'all weather up there is improving , Angelina & Josh have returned home. They had fun but the rain & chill did seem to put a damper on the trip. She said the food everywhere was great! Especially enjoyed the pizza! They loved Stomp, due to the rain they decided to try & get in for Chicago but of course couldn't. She really enjoyed the shopping, and even followed a Chinese man into one of those secret knock-off purse shops! She couldn't believe it, they walked into a regular store, then the man radioed in & a wall pushed open into a wall to wall purse store. She thought it was fun.

Gretchen- take lots of pictures, have fun and give Hailey a KK for me!

Will do. I picked them up this morning and they are in the tupperware container ready to go. The type my princess prefers are not sold in the Orlando KK. She is much too high maintenance, but she likes the cinnamon bun flavor. Her daddy likes those too, so I had to make sure to get plenty or I'd be chasing Kenny away from her donuts all week.

I kind of figured that would get you! Bet I also bet you want rhinestones on you toes too. ;):laughing: I expect you to sit out by the pool & have a girly umbrella drink for me! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

How do you know me so well?!? Of course I want the rhinestones woman. What good is a pedifour without rhinestones? ;) I will be sure to have a girly drink by the pool (or two) in your honor. Maybe we can have one with all of us together in October.

How do you know me so well?!? Of course I want the rhinestones woman. What good is a pedifour without rhinestones? ;) I will be sure to have a girly drink by the pool (or two) in your honor. Maybe we can have one with all of us together in October.

:lmao:

Maybe we can all get a pedifours together & then go to Apricot for drinks! :rotfl2:

Count on it!:thumbsup2

:cool1: After F&W events are out, we need to do some planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter