The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by LindsayDunn228, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bigmerle1966

bigmerle1966 <a href="http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k111/cf

Will definately post pics when I get home and yes they will be here on the Dis Pio.

Yesterday we went to Cocoa Beach and today we went to Typhon Lagoon. After two days in the hot sun we came back and took a nap.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessInOz

PrincessInOz Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!

I think I finished off at the Big Buddha the last time.

Here's dinner from that night. We went to a vegetarian restaurant for dinner; it was Good Friday. All the 'proteins' in the dishes were made from tofu!

Contrary to some of the pictures, I would highly recommend you give this restaurant a miss.

[​IMG]

The lack of napkins was our first clue. Service was not good here; the waiter refused to get water when the Asians among the table asked. It wasn't until the Westerns asked that we got a little better service; but it still wasn't much better.

[​IMG]

We did have a number of good, but not great, dishes.

The fried rice was a hit.

[​IMG]

As was the not BBQ pork.

[​IMG]

The pepper beef was adequate.

[​IMG]

The rest of the mock-protein dishes....well......they certainly mocked us. None of the rest were particularly good.

BBQ Pork skewers resembled and tasted like tofu.

[​IMG]

This was supposed to be a seafood hotpot. Blehhh!

[​IMG]

I believe that this was supposed to be chicken. Not good at all.

[​IMG]

The Taro Fish would have been better as just taro; but even then I figure they would have butchered it.

[​IMG]

And would you believe the kitchen actually cooked the avocado in the oven???? Bitter. Bitter. Bitter!

[​IMG]

The redeeming feature of dinner was that the restaurant was within a stone's throw of the Temple Street Night Market. My parents volunteered to take DS back with them, so that left DH and I child free!

The night market? Temple Street Night Market is also known as the Men's market. We had a great time checking it out. Take a look.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

princess::upsidedow

4. Glynis

Glynis <font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t

Happy Independence Day, y'all! I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Our plans have been severely changed. Those of you on FB have seen what's going on. Yesterday, around 2:00, a private construction company started a fire on the mountain behind our house (a backhoe struck a spark). That fire raced (and I mean FAST) up the mountain. It's been scary to watch. At 11:00 last night, the winds shifted, and it started to slowly move towards us. It didn't get very far, but it's still burning strong. It's 0% contained, and the tanker planes and ground fire crews are back at it this morning. We weren't evacuated, but told to be ready to leave at a moment's notice, so we all packed some clothes, comfort items, medications, and important papers. We're keeping an eye on things today. We were supposed to go to my MIL's house for a bbq this evening, but we are just going to wait and see what happens today. I really don't want to leave not knowing what's happening, you know?

So, dinner is up in the air! If we are safe and go to MIL's house, we'll have typical burgers and dogs. If we stay here, I have some oven "fried" chicken to make along with a 4th of July cake, and other treats.

Suffice it to say, we will not be participating with any fireworks tonight! We'll just watch them on tv!

5. dgbg100106

dgbg100106 Missing the Tag Fiary

Have a great time on vacation and so glad your sister got her power back so quick.

I have been away from the boards b/c we were without power for 4 days... Awful time, triple digit heat!

Ughhh.

So this morning I have been cleaning out the fridge, downstairs and upstairs... My freezer made it thru just fine, everything was still good.

Afternoon everybody!

6. bigmerle1966

bigmerle1966 <a href="http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k111/cf

Stay safe. That wildfire stuff is crazy. They were showing a map on the news last night of where there are fires and they are everywhere.

Yikes!

Getting ready to head home tomorrow. We went and saw Brave today, ate at a really good restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes, played in the Big Blue Pool for a while and tonight went and played a half a round of mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. Watched the fireworks at Hollywood studios from there. It was hot so we didn't finish the game.

7. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

Glad your freezer made it through! thats what I was worried about for you! Hope everything else is well! Goddenight!

8. LindsayDunn228

LindsayDunn228 <font color=teal>Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???<

Today I am making us salmon, roasted broccoli with garlic, and I'm thinking about another side but I'm drawing blanks.

Stay safe, Glynis!!!

ETA: I don't know if anyone noticed, but I have an "Misc." option in the index. If you see your recipe listed there and think it belongs somewhere else, please let me know!

9. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

Good Morning!

Brandi- I have been following the power outages. Our news teams have been comparing the magnitude to that of our October storm and I agree. So much damage! Marisa and I both agree that while no time is good to lose power it is so much harder in the Summer. We had a lot of discomfort here last year but not the loss of life from the intense heat. Terrible.

Dinner is grilled something. We had a wonderful meal yesterday at our friend's home and treated like royalty. :goodvibes Grilled rib eye steaks, mashed potatoes, cole slaw and a green salad. I totally passed the salad for potatoes!

Ellen- I would have loved to share some wine but Marisa told me I cannot ship it,. Some nonsense about a liquor license :mad: and the fact that I don't have one. We can drink it but no sending it through he mail.

10. Glynis

Glynis <font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t

Morning, all. We spent another uneasy night in our beds last night. However, things are looking up. The fire is 10% contained, this morning, and we have rain in the forecast. Alan was up at the fire line at 4:00 and said it was already raining hard up there. As long as the lightning doesn't "get in the way" they are optimistic that the fire will be contained today.

I really hope so, as we are supposed to leave tonight to go back to my dad's house. Well, at least we're already packed. I guess that's a silver lining. No idea what we'll have for dinner. I'm oven "frying" some drumsticks this morning that I was going to make yesterday. I guess we'll take them in the car with us.

11. kimmar067

kimmar067 TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!

:hug:

12. dgbg100106

I took today off from work, to finish cleaning the house, the ice machine in our side by side leaked out the chute from which falls, and was all over my hardwoods, I have a few that are swollen, and it looks like the finish might come off....:crazy2:

Then David and I are going to the store to replace some food items... cream, milk, eggs, cheese, sour cream ..... etc, etc..:rolleyes2

13. kimmar067

kimmar067 TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!

...the fun never ends, does it....:sad2:

14. PrincessInOz

:grouphug: Gosh! Glad to hear that the fire is somewhat contained and that things are looking up. I hope that you're all de-stressing from it out. Sorry you had to go through this.

15. PrincessInOz

Brandi - no power for 4 days? WOW! Glad to see the freezer made it through.

16. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I have been thinking about you all and hope that the rain helps to contain the fire.

:sad2:

Last night dinner was easy. I had a big salad with scrambled eggs. Buddy had grilled rib eye, mashed potatoes and a veggie.

I think I will mosey over to the fish market this afternoon and pick up some seafood for dinner,. I would love a piece of salmon.

17. dgbg100106

How is the fire this morning? Prayers and pixie dust.

18. dgbg100106

yep....

It is a commercial grade freezer and when I bought it they told me it could last a week, without power.

I defrosted it about a year ago and it took days, with the door open to fully defrost.

19. EJ4Disney

EJ4Disney Just a country girl at heart

Dang!!! :mad:

Oh sweetie, my thoughts and prayers were with you. How scarey!!
    Enjoy your time with your Dad.

Wow, what a mess. But thank goodness your freezer is ok. How are the floors today? Have they dried out any?

We are in the 100's again today, but a cold front is on its way and it is to be in the low 80's tomorrow. It will feel downright cold out. There are farmers up in the panhandle that are walking away from their corn. It is mostly dryland corn and it is burning up. We will all see the higher prices I am sure. It is so very sad!!

WFDT ~ BBQ brisket, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes & cucumbers.

Make it a great day!!

20. PrincessInOz

Fish and Chip dinner - The Easy Option

My starting ingredients:

[​IMG]

• Flathead tails fillet, 400 g
    • Flour - seasoned with salt and pepper
    • Eggs, 2 - lightly beaten
    • Breadcrumbs - store bought

Preheat oven to 180 C.

Coat the flathead fillets with the seasoned flour. Shake off the excess.

[​IMG]

Drop the fillets into the beatened egg. Allow the excess to drip off.

[​IMG]

Place the fillets into the breadcrumbs to apply a coating.

[​IMG]

Turn over to coat the other side.

[​IMG]

Arrange the fish on an oven tray.

[​IMG]

Cook in the oven for 15 - 18 minutes.

[​IMG]

We also used frozen calamari or squid rings and frozen chips for the meal.

[​IMG]

My dinner!

[​IMG]

princess::upsidedow

21. dgbg100106

The floors are doing better, I think I am going to lose the finish on a couple of them, so trying to come up with options for refinishing them without having to do the whole floor.

Our temps today 105 to 111, I am staying inside all day

So sorry to hear about the fields drying up enjoy your 80's today!