The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

We raised over $9000.00 for Karen & Justin. WooHoo!! It was a complete success.

That's great.

600 Cupcakes in 20 minutes is pretty awesome! I am impressed...

I think I told you guys, that I get my meat every 6 months, so I try to have one dish, with chicken, pork, beef, turkey, meatless, seafood and venison

I also try to vary to ethnicity, Italian, Mexican, Asian, American, Southern.... It helps me build the menus...

plus you guys inspire me with what you make, so it is something to try and see if you can stick to it, it has cut my grocery bill down a lot.

I think I will try and work on a menu while on vacation so that at least my next week will be a little more organized.

Alison ~ so what did you decide for dinner? The Chicken sounds amazing.....please share.

Here is the Chicken Recipe, I made half a recipe and it was really tasty! And congrats on raising $9000! That is awesome!

Roasted Garlic Clove Chicken
Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian

Prep Time:20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
Cook Time:45 min
Level: Easy

Serves:4 servings.

Ingredients
8 chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head garlic, separated into whole cloves, papery skin removed (about 20 cloves)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon flour
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 lemon, juiced
Bread, for serving

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Salt and pepper liberally and allow to temper on a cutting board while you prepare the garlic. In a large ovenproof saute pan over medium heat, cook the whole garlic cloves in olive oil and butter, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat to medium high and brown the chicken skin-side down until the skin is golden and crispy, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over, sprinkle on herbes de Provence. Add the garlic back to the pan and place hot pan in oven. Bake the chicken until cooked through, about 25 minutes. Once the chicken is done, remove chicken thighs and garlic to a platter. Place the pan over medium-high heat and sprinkle the drippings with flour and stir to incorporate. Deglaze the pan with the stock and lemon juice. Pour the sauce over the chicken on the platter and serve with bread for sauce-mopping and garlic-spreading.

600 Cupcakes in 20 minutes is pretty awesome! I am impressed...

I think I told you guys, that I get my meat every 6 months, so I try to have one dish, with chicken, pork, beef, turkey, meatless, seafood and venison

I also try to vary to ethnicity, Italian, Mexican, Asian, American, Southern.... It helps me build the menus...

plus you guys inspire me with what you make, so it is something to try and see if you can stick to it, it has cut my grocery bill down a lot.

I try to alternate like that too, but I don't get the venison. I get bored really easily so I try not to repeat dishes very often.

I try to grill more in the summer, more salads and lighter meals, less heating up the kitchen, in the winter I will braise, oven roast, soups and all the things that heat up the house...

So lots of grilled items work well for me.

Even when we make Chicken salad, I grill the chicken first.

Happy Tuesday ladies!

Haven't stopped by in a while. Life is getting crazier by the moment! We're getting our place all ready for the move and I am exhausted. We actually have alot of cooking and baking supplies in boxes that I've never used. I didn't realize that until last night...haha We have too much stuff!

Tomorrow we head for St. Louis.. Flight is in the AM... We will be back Sunday afternoon

WFD - whatever you can find... No cooking tonight.

I finally got my shabu shabu last night. The place we go is about 10 miles away, but I just learned last week that they are opening a location in Long beach just a few minutes from my house! I can't wait for it to open!

Tonight will be drive through on the way to band.

That sounds good, might try that myself. :thumbsup2 I really do want to get a big package of chicken and grill it up then freeze it for easy dinners. Especially for nights like tonight when I won't get home until late and don't have the energy to cook.

Two days down, three to go then vacation here I come. :yay:

Two days down, three to go then vacation here I come. :yay:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I think tonight we'll make a crispy chicken dinner with wilted spinach and fingerling potatoes.It's gonna be yummy...:goodvibes:thumbsup2:love:

Welcome! Feel free to share a recipe!

Nan ~ I filled my cup.....and your cup......and everyones cup. ;) :lmao: :rolleyes1 Good times!! :upsidedow

We were a bit late for Ethan's Birthday party, but the good thing is that by the time we got there the "EVIL" MIL was leaving. Jay's Mom is a real number!!! I really can't stand her. There aren't too many people on this planet that I don't like. But she is one of them. I just hate the way she treats my daughter. But bless Elizabeth's heart she puts up with her because even so she is the boys Grandmother and she does love them. Even if it is a really strange way. But Elizabeth stands her ground and that really p***es her off. Ok rant over sorry****************!!!

First, thank you for filling your cup for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 Icannot imagine how you are still standing after that weekend but Kudos for raising so much money!

I think this is the first time you have had a semi negative word about anyone. Good for Elizabeth, she is doing the right thing. She sounds like Marisa. Jeff's mother cannot stand her. She won't keep the woman from seeing Kady, although that is very rarely, but she will not allow anything negative about Jeff to reach Kady's ears. Jeff's Mom thinks Marisa is a witch but she is lucky it is Marisa she is dealing with. She is tough but fair. I am not fair at all.

I try to grill more in the summer, more salads and lighter meals, less heating up the kitchen, in the winter I will braise, oven roast, soups and all the things that heat up the house...

So lots of grilled items work well for me.

We grill all summer long as well. Buddy likes just protein and a salad and veggies.

Happy Tuesday ladies!

Haven't stopped by in a while. Life is getting crazier by the moment! We're getting our place all ready for the move and I am exhausted. We actually have alot of cooking and baking supplies in boxes that I've never used. I didn't realize that until last night...haha We have too much stuff!

Tomorrow we head for St. Louis.. Flight is in the AM... We will be back Sunday afternoon

Take it easy Friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Marisa and Kady came for dinner. WE grilled thick ham steaks, mixed summer squashes, steamed green beans and a big garden salad.

Marisa lost 3.5 pounds and I lost 2.2/ The nutritionist thinks that Marisa is nto eating enough and she thinks I am eating too much :lmao::lmao:. Apparantly my 2 cups of vegetables at a meal have turned out to be four cups ;) My one teaspoon of olive oil twice a day has turned into 2 Tablespoons twice a day. AND she told me not to even tell her about my half and half in my coffee :upsidedow

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Welcome! Feel free to share a recipe!

First, thank you for filling your cup for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 Icannot imagine how you are still standing after that weekend but Kudos for raising so much money!

I think this is the first time you have had a semi negative word about anyone. Good for Elizabeth, she is doing the right thing. She sounds like Marisa. Jeff's mother cannot stand her. She won't keep the woman from seeing Kady, although that is very rarely, but she will not allow anything negative about Jeff to reach Kady's ears. Jeff's Mom thinks Marisa is a witch but she is lucky it is Marisa she is dealing with. She is tough but fair. I am not fair at all.

We grill all summer long as well. Buddy likes just protein and a salad and veggies.

Take it easy Friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Marisa and Kady came for dinner. WE grilled thick ham steaks, mixed summer squashes, steamed green beans and a big garden salad.

Marisa lost 3.5 pounds and I lost 2.2/ The nutritionist thinks that Marisa is nto eating enough and she thinks I am eating too much :lmao::lmao:. Apparantly my 2 cups of vegetables at a meal have turned out to be four cups ;) My one teaspoon of olive oil twice a day has turned into 2 Tablespoons twice a day. AND she told me not to even tell her about my half and half in my coffee :upsidedow

Sounds like you both and are doing good on your eating plan over all, and sounds like you have good advice helping you along the way! :hug:

Hey, everyone! Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've been rather busy. Scott went for his yearly physical last week. He was told told lose some weight (something we both need to do) and try a lower-carb diet. So I decided to do it with him. I've been working out and trying to come up with some low-carb (NOT no-carb, I'd rather croak), and am doing great. I'm also trying to shake up some of our favorites and make them better for us.

I hope you all have a great day! Stay cool!

Happy Tuesday ladies!

WFD - whatever you can find... No cooking tonight.

Safe travels. You are headed to my old stomping grounds. St. Louis has a real soft spot in my heart.

Alison ~ Thanks so much for the recipe. I love anything with garlic in it - and MAN oh man that should do the trick. :rotfl2:

Nan ~ You are right! I really am a very upbeat - half full glass type of girl. But anyone who messes with my family - they had better be ready for a fight. No ifs ands or buts about it - PERIOD!!! Nuff said :rolleyes1
I am so proud of you and Marisa. You are doing so good!! Are you following WW again or what? I would love to lose 10 pounds. Please share.

Brandi ~ Again your meals sound great. I love your variety.

Merle ~ Vacation time is almost here :cool1:

Lindsay - I hear you on the eating better. I am really trying too.

Ladies I am reading a neat book right now - Wheat Belly. I am totally intrigued by it. I really agree with some of it. Have any of you ever tried it or heard of it? It really says that all of the "Whole wheat" is training our bodies to gain weight, especially in the belly. I never realized how wheat has changed over the years and how much wheat is in EVERYTHING we eat. Doug and I are thinking of at least looking into this. We have some really good friends that have totally eliminated wheat from their diets and are 1 - feeling better than they have in a long time, 2 - have lost a lot of weight, and 3 - have gotten off of some of their medications. I don't know - it is something new to think about.

All I can say about today is - IT'S DA*N HOT OUT!!! It got up to 111 yesterday and suppose to cool off today to a balmy 102. Good grief it is not fit for man nor beast out there. I despise summers like this. The humidity you can cut with a knife. I waited till almost 9 last night to go out and water my plants, it was only 97 out. By the time I got back in the house, my head and clothes were wringing wet. YUCK!!

WFDT ~ Spinach, romain and other greens with mandarin oranges, pecan halves, blueberries, strawberries and chicken with poppy seed dressing.

Make it a great day!!

Morning!

After all that, I didn't post WFD yesterday. Oh well, today we are having leftovers. I made a roast with roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Mmm! :)

Have a great day and stay cool, everyone!

Hi everyone. Just checking in.

Life is rather hectic at the moment and I wish I had a bit more time in the kitchen to cook. We have family out from the US visiting and between catching up with them and showing them around town, work and DS being on school holidays, I barely have time to sleep!

Hopefully, things will settle down middle of next week....when work should be calmer and the visitors head home.

Hope you are all well and I'll try and catch up with all the news when I can.

Today Fran is having surgery. Hopefully this will be the last one. The doctor hopes to go in and remove all the bad tissue. Hopefully once that is gone, she will heal quickly. Cross your fingers.

Allison- I am sorry to hear that Fran is undergoing surgery once again. Please remember that you are going through stress throughout this entire healing process so take care of you! Let us know how she is doing, please?

Ellen- Marisa and I are following Ideal Protein. It is a high protein low carb diet and so far I am feeling really good. I love starch. All starches! SO this was a bit difficult at first but I have to tell you I feel so much better. I did feel good on WW but noticed that I never lost belly fat. I followed the CORE plan so I ate whole grains and very little processed foods. I think I believe what your book is talking about because I was always sickish especially after eating grains. On this one I am losing fatty tissue all over. SO far over 9 inches total.

Lindsey- I love my carbs, I really do. But I have to tell you that lowering the amount I eat has had a huge positive effect on me. The first week was horrible. I mean HORRIBLE but way better now. eventually I will be introducing carbs into my diet but I will have to learn to pair them with other things in order to help my body digest them properly. Not there yet.

Princess- Busy gal! But nice that you have family visiting during the holidays. DOn't worry about us, we know you will post when you slow down!

Dinner is grilled BL/SL chicken thighs, broccoli and salad. Buddy hates broccoli so I am adding a lot of fresh cucumber and tomato to the salad. Poor guy won't want to eat much, he was up at 1:30 this morning to be to work for 3AM> I got up with him but eventually went back to bed. I am worth nothing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter