The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

WFDT?

Spinach and ricotta manicotti. I'm going to make a bechamel sauce to go over it tonight. DH doesn't do a lot of cheese anymore....but I feel like a nice cheese sauce tonight!

That's similar to what I had last night. I had in the freezer manicotti (ricotta and spinach stuffed pasta tubes) and canneloni (meat and cheese stuffed pasta tubes). I actually ate them with a marinara sauce that I ccoomed up with mushrooms, onions and garlic and covered with mozzarella, and parmesan. I had the leftovers for breakfast.

I don't think we'll have leftovers! DS eats half a pig these days.

And I've come up with a solution for the pesky vegetarian. I'm making the manicotti in two smaller dishes. One for DS and me with oodles of cheese sauce; the other for DH with no cheese sauce. Both are in the oven now. :goodvibes

On Monday of last week for my meatless Monday dish I made Pizzoccheri Gratin

original.jpg

1 stick unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped sage
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
One 1/2-pound baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound fresh lasagna sheets, cut into 6-by-1 1/2-inch strips, or fresh pappardelle
1 small head of Napa cabbage, thinly sliced (6 packed cups)
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 ounces imported Fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small skillet, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter with the sage, poppy seeds and caraway seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until nutty and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potato and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato to a bowl. Add the pasta to the pot and cook, stirring, until al dente, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pasta to a colander. Add the cabbage to the pot and cook until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain the cabbage and shake out the excess water. Pour off the water and return the cabbage to the pot, along with the pasta and potato. Add the browned butter, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Stir in 1 cup of the Fontina and half of the Parmigiano and transfer the mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
In the small skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the bread crumbs and parsley and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and toasted, 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining Fontina and Parmigiano and sprinkle over the pasta. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve hot.

on Tuesday I made Zuppa Toscana

2010_0311random0083.JPG

1 lb Italian sausage (Hot for us!)
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices (I leave skins on)
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits, Save your fat for cooking another time!
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
16 oz chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup half in half (Or what ever you have)

Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces. Brown sausage in your soup pot. Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.

Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in a separate pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.

Add sausage and bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Turn to low heat. Add kale and half n half. Heat through and serve.

Wednesday I made this Thai Chicken dish that did not turn out well at all... So I am looking for a good recipe for this.

Thursday was Seared Steak with Spicy Rice Noodles

164803667583991964_9ictYVgg_c.jpg

For the vinaigrette:

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chile-garlic paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the noodles and steak:

1 1/2 pounds baby or regular bok choy, cleaned, ends trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound medium dried rice stick noodles
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat and sinew
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons salted, roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped, for garnish
1 medium lime, cut into 4 wedges, for garnish

For the vinaigrette:

Place all of the ingredients in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.

For the noodles and steak:

Line a baking sheet with a layer of paper towels; set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the bok choy and boil until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon to the prepared baking sheet; set aside.
Return the saucepan of water to a boil. Place the noodles in a large, heatproof bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Stir briefly to separate the noodles, then let them soak until they’re loose and pliable, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander; set aside.
Rub the oil on both sides of the steak and season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Carefully lay the steak in the pan and sear for 6 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board to rest, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Return the noodles to the large bowl and add the reserved bok choy. When the flank steak is ready, slice it lengthwise with the grain into 3 strips. Slice each strip against the grain into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick pieces and add to the bowl. Give the reserved vinaigrette a quick whisk, then pour it over the steak, noodles, and bok choy. Add the cilantro and toss, using tongs, until everything’s evenly combined and coated. Serve garnished with peanuts and lime wedges.

Friday was Seafood Fra Diavolo

14327.jpg

1/2 lb 21-25 ct Peeled & Deveined Shrimp
1/2 lb fresh calamari tubes, halved lengthwise, lightly scored crisscross 1/8-inch
2 Tbsp Italian Classics Hot Pepper Spread
4 cups San Marzano Tomato Sauce
1 bag(2 lbs) Mussels
1 lb(16 oz) Italian Classics Linguine, cooked per pkg directions

Directions:

Toss shrimp, calamari, and pepper spread in bowl. Marinate at least 30 min.

Heat sauce in pan on MEDIUM. Add shrimp; simmer 30 seconds. Add mussels; stir to combine. Cover; cook about 6 min until mussels begin to open.

Stir in calamari; mixing thoroughly. Cover; cook 2 min. Bring to simmer; remove from stove. Add cooked linguine; tossing to coat pasta. Serve warm.

Saturday was Potato Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chopped red potato (about 1 pound)
1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring onion mixture constantly. Add potato, milk, broth, and 1/2 cup water to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Top each serving evenly with 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped green onions.

Sunday was left overs and tonight is

Hearty Bean and Barley Soup (Again Meatless for Monday)

bean-soup-ck-521597-l.jpg

7 cups fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
1 (19-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
10 cup torn spinach leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
Measure 1 cup beans, and mash with a fork in a small bowl. Reserve the remaining whole beans.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, and celery; cook 4 minutes. Add broth mixture, mashed beans, whole beans, tomatoes, and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and black pepper; cook 5 minutes or until barley is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.

You have been eating well! Me, Marie Callendars has been my chef for a lot of nights. :lmao:

I just stuck half a dozen Chicken Enchiladas Rancheras in the oven! Yum!

Hey Kim! Corn is GF? Right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter