The What's For Dinner Thread - July '08(recipe index in OP)

so I'm thinking of keeping the London Broil marinating another day and grill that up tomorrow night. Anyone think it'll be too long in the marinade, it's been in it since last night???:confused3

Nope, will be even better...I have marinated beef and chicken up to 3 days. :thumbsup2

Alan made dinner today! I love it when he does that!!!

We are having pork ribs with barbecue sauce, sticky rice, and zucchini and summer squash from our garden.

Later, I'll whip up a lemon gingerbread cake. We got a mix for Christmas, and I think it's time to use it. I'll whip some cream to top it with.

Lauren - I hope you feel better soon! I hate feeling crappy!

Aimee - Funny story!!! You sound like so much fun! I bet the kids all had a ball at camp with you!!!

Nancy - I'm so sorry about your face. Hope it clears up soon! Your cucumber soup sounds delish! I don't know if I could talk my kids into trying it, but I'm definitely going to be making it for me!

Kathy - Kyle sounds like the most incredible young man! You must be so proud of him! I'm taking parenting tips from you and all the other exceptional moms on this thread!!!

Lindsay - What desserts did you make? Do we have the recipes? I'm craving sweets lately. Not good for me, but apparently Peanut thinks we need more sugar!

Did I mention that Alan and I went to see Dark Knight on Friday? It was EXCELLENT!!!! I have to go see it again, just to watch Heath Ledger! Amazing!!!

Hey y'all,

Relaxing quiet weekend here. We went out for Middle Eastern food & a movie yesterday. Food was yummy & the movie "Journey to the Center..." was fun! I would have loved to see that in 3D!

Aimee, Happy Anniversary!! :goodvibes

Nancy, Hope that clears up, are you itching? Do you have any idea what caused it?:hug:
Boy you sure did Nanatize that recipe! It sounds much more tasty from your "monkeying" with it!:thumbsup2

Lauren, Hope you feel better soon! I'm starting to worry about you,:hug: you're starting to sound like me, always something isn't it.:confused:

Becky, I had seen a bit on Summer Shack on foodtv. I was jealous of y'all just watching it! :goodvibes Glad everyone had fun.

Glynis, Glad y'all had a nice date! We're planning on seeing Dark Knight next weekend!

I'm going to throw something on the grill in a bit. Something easy, probably burger or steak.

If anyone is on, quick question. Can you grill halibut? Marisa picked up a beautiful piece at the store today.

Happy Sunday! Thanks for all the anniversary wishes!

We went to Pei Wei with friends after church and didn't get home until 230 today - both of us are beat (DH is sleeping right now, actually) so we may stay in. We talked of seeing a movie but quite frankly, I'm happy in my pjs. Curbside to go is sounding mighty tempting for dinner =)

I'm so lazy!

If anyone is on, quick question. Can you grill halibut? Marisa picked up a beautiful piece at the store today.

Yup! That was what I was going to look for, but Ikea took longer that I had scheduled. So chicken on the grill it will be.

Kathy I thought you meant Hammond Indiana. :rotfl2: I thought boy the inbetween states got smaller.:rolleyes1 I need a nap:idea:

Happy Sunday! Thanks for all the anniversary wishes!

We went to Pei Wei with friends after church and didn't get home until 230 today - both of us are beat (DH is sleeping right now, actually) so we may stay in. We talked of seeing a movie but quite frankly, I'm happy in my pjs. Curbside to go is sounding mighty tempting for dinner =)

I'm so lazy!

Aimee Happy anniversary. And welcome to the old people club :laughing: A night of watching a movie on tv in your Pj's is my kind of night.

Kathy - Kyle sounds like the most incredible young man! You must be so proud of him! I'm taking parenting tips from you and all the other exceptional moms on this thread!!!

Thanks Glynis, you certainly don't need any tips on parenting my friend.:goodvibes

I'm so lazy!

That you are not, enjoy your down time, you surely deserve it.;)

Kathy I thought you meant Hammond Indiana. :rotfl2: I thought boy the inbetween states got smaller.:rolleyes1 I need a nap:idea:

:lmao:

I would be paying a visit to the manager :headache: I was irritated when coffee was offered only after dinner and not with dessert at my DD's wedding, had more made and then called the banquet manager the next business day. I cannot imagine paying for food and having that happen :confused3

I said that to my DM, but it wasn't my party. I know my SIL too, she won't say a word. I would have been so ticked off, the bacon was just par cooked.
Limpy and no crispness at all. I would have requested it off the bill.

WFD- change of veggie. I made homemade broccoli au gratin. I can't wait for dinner!

Ann

We talked of seeing a movie but quite frankly, I'm happy in my pjs. Curbside to go is sounding mighty tempting for dinner =)

I'm so lazy!

You are not lazy silly, you are content :thumbsup2Enjoy your quiet evening.
Aimee Happy anniversary. And welcome to the old people club :laughing: A night of watching a movie on tv in your Pj's is my kind of night.

:thumbsup2:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Anyone think it'll be too long in the marinade, it's been in it since last night???:confused3

Longer is better IMO.

Lindsay - What desserts did you make? Do we have the recipes? I'm craving sweets lately. Not good for me, but apparently Peanut thinks we need more sugar!

Did I mention that Alan and I went to see Dark Knight on Friday? It was EXCELLENT!!!! I have to go see it again, just to watch Heath Ledger! Amazing!!!

I agree with Kathy- you and Alan are wonderful parents!

Marisa and Jeff have not been able to get in to see DK but not for lack of trying.

I think the Peanut knows what he is all about.....give that baby sweets ;)

Hey y'all,

Relaxing quiet weekend here. We went out for Middle Eastern food & a movie yesterday. Food was yummy & the movie "Journey to the Center..." was fun! I would have loved to see that in 3D!

Nancy, Hope that clears up, are you itching? Do you have any idea what caused it?:hug:
Boy you sure did Nanatize that recipe! It sounds much more tasty from your "monkeying" with it!:thumbsup2

You deserve a relaxing weekend for a change.

Yes, my friend, I am itching. Like a mad woman :crazy: Buddy likes to tease and "debate". I had to tell him that I was crawling out of my skin, itching like crazy, jittery from the inside out and just plain grouchy...not to mention blotchy. This would not be a good time to tease :rolleyes1 I have food on hand he hates and I'm not afraid to cook it :thumbsup2

Marisa finally tried the soup and liked it. She had been afraid :confused3

Ann, can you share your broccoli recipe? I picked up about 2 pounds of broccoli at the store today. Note to self: Do NOT go shopping while hungry! Laura can attest to the fact that I am in possesion of enough chicken to feed all of you with leftovers!

Nancy, I love cold cucumber soup. I have not made one for years though. It's not one of those foods that come to mind, but then when you eat it, you have to say YUM!

Here are some photos from linner. Not photoed are the eggplant sticks and the arugula salad, because you have seen them all so many times. Anyway, here is today's tomato bruschetta:

2729808940_2525028259.jpg

and the proscuitto-wrapped, basil-mozzarella stuffed chicken--topped with more cheese and basil:

2729808440_372b2634a8.jpg

sliced:

2729808674_e3337b08c0.jpg

Happy Anniversary Aimee!

Gynis -- These were the cakes Caili picked out as her favorites. After much deliberation, she picked the one with the oranges as her favorite.

Your sister does do beautiful work. I wish her luck in starting her business!

As for you craving desserts, that is all I wanted to eat when I was pregnant. Pie was especially tempting. I made a blueberry pie a week when I was pregnant with Caili. I justified it by topping it with ice cream or drinking a glass of milk with it...calcium intake is important, right? ;)

Sheryl -- I don't like going to get my haircut either. It takes so much time and it is so much money. I have a hard time justifying it. However, Beck just got a great cut and color, and she really liked the stylist, so I might make an appointment.

Ann -- That is terrible about the food at the shower. I'm sure it wasn't cheap either!

Yes, my friend, I am itching. Like a mad woman :crazy: Buddy likes to tease and "debate". I had to tell him that I was crawling out of my skin, itching like crazy, jittery from the inside out and just plain grouchy...not to mention blotchy. This would not be a good time to tease :rolleyes1 I have food on hand he hates and I'm not afraid to cook it :thumbsup2

I hope you feel better! For Buddy's sake, I hope he has stopped the teasing! :laughing:

Here's my funny story from the weekend: as we were leaving Summer Shack yesterday and the kids were getting into the car, I was chatting with them about how much fun we had and I asked them if they were happy Auntie Becky and Uncle John were able to join us. They both nodded and then Liam said, "Mom, I bet you're happy Auntie Becky came with us." I said that yes, I was, but asked why he said that. He said, "Because that meant you didn't have to pay." :laughing:

I made congo bars and espresso brownies. I think both recipes have been posted :)

Laura It's times like that, that you have to A) remind yourself that they are to cute and big for a hefty bag. and B) write this stuff down so when they have kids you can remind them of what they did at a certain age ;)

Lindsay Congo bars? I'll have to go back and look.

Here's my funny story from the weekend: as we were leaving Summer Shack yesterday and the kids were getting into the car, I was chatting with them about how much fun we had and I asked them if they were happy Auntie Becky and Uncle John were able to join us. They both nodded and then Liam said, "Mom, I bet you're happy Auntie Becky came with us." I said that yes, I was, but asked why he said that. He said, "Because that meant you didn't have to pay." :laughing:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dinner was so good! I haven't had halibut in years and now I cannot remember why. Marisa has gotten so good on that grill I have to see if Buddy will build a hut so that we can send her out in the dead of winter :rotfl: He brought corn home from our friends farm and it was outrageously good! It was a new variety called "Providence" he just tried and it was the best I have ever had. Served a saute of summer squash, julienned peppers, sliced onions, shredded carrots and minced garlic. Yumm!

Here is a recipe I found

Chocolate Frito Candy
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Candy
Serves/Makes: 12 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 2-5 hrs

Ingredients:

2 cups fritos
2 cups pretzels
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons peanut butter
12 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanuts or honey roasted nuts

Directions:
Smash fritos and pretzels in plastic bag. Line a 13 x 9 pan with foil or parchment paper. Place butter, brown sugar, peanut butter and chocolate chips in crockpot and cook on high for 1 - 2 hours until melted and mixed well.

Stir in fritos and pretzels and pour into pan. Sprinkle peanuts on top and refrigerate until set. Break into pieces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter