The What's For Dinner Thread - July '08(recipe index in OP)

Glynis, those are beautiful cakes. Your sister could charge a lot of money for cakes like that out here. She has excellent frosting and decorating skills. I love the triple tiered fondant covered cake with the green trim, and the one with the roses and the orange base. The only one I am so-so on, decor wise, is the raspberry one...I am sure it is so delicious though! :)

Tell her to make the cake under her fondant taste as wonderful as her cakes look, and she'll be incredibly busy!

That's not my favorite one, either. The bride wanted a "waterfall of raspberries" so that's what they did. It was a yummy chocolate cake with vanilla filling. Yummy!

She took a cake decorating class at a local craft store, and then just kept at it. I should post some of the birthday cakes she's made. So cute!!!

Glynis, Your sister does gorgeous work! She should definitely try and make a business out of it. I have always wanted to take a Wilton class but for some reason do not think I have the patience. I am not a great baker to begin with.

I'm with you! I just don't have the patience for all the detail work. I enjoy baking cakes, but decorating would push me over the edge. My contribution is to babysit her 4 kids when she has to do a cake.

Here is our dinner from last night, baked orichette in a gouda-asiago sauce, and tomato bruschetta:

2723256105_3780d8be01.jpg

Laura is coming here in a few minutes and we are going to Boston to visit the aquarium and ride the swan boats. We'll probably get dinner somewhere in the city.

Oh, yummy! That bruschetta looks amazing!!!

Well, it's 6:40 and I have no idea what's for dinner! We just spent the entire day floating a river nearby. The kids had a great time! We stopped at 1:30, and grilled hot dogs at a park. I'm nowhere near hungry, but I know the kids are going to start wanting to eat. Hopefully, I can throw some soup and sandwiches together.

Thanks for all the compliments on my sister's cakes. I think she's pretty amazing, but I'm a little biased! Her husband is researching what it would take to put an OSHA approved kitchen in their basement so she could open a business. We live in an area where she could easily do 5-7 wedding cakes a week, not to mention birthdays. It could be a nice money maker for her, if she wants to do it.

I've been out of pocket a couple of days and in mourning over not checking in! We had a storm on Wed night and my router was zapped. Then I got busy with VBS/Day Camp and we didn't do anything about replacing it until this afternoon. Whew.

Catching up...

Hi all. Back to dr today. He guessed wrong. Getting worse not better. Numbness now in back of hand and going down arm. referred me to ortho. cant see me til tues. hope i last til then. thinking of all of you

:hug: HOw are you today?

Since this is a "food" thread, I thought I'd share some pictures from my sister. She is trying to decide whether or not to open a cake decorating business. Right now, she just does it for friends, just for the cost of ingredients. Anyway, here's some pictures of cakes she's made. Let me know what you think:

Wow, I'm impressed. I've seen a lot of pictures of cakes that people think are really good but hers really ARE good, you know? Esp if she can do unique fondant designs, she'll be successful. I love fondant...

Day camp was fabulous last week - just fabulous. Last night we had hundreds of people come see their child perform what they had worked on all week and it was great. Many of our neighborhood families came, too (we are in a transitional neighborhood surrounded by homeless/nearly homeless/gov housing) and I partnered with our community ministries area to get their children involved this week. It brings it's own challenges but is SO worth the headache.

My Crohn's started to act up on Tues - high stress+lots of coffee+kids cuisine on the run = pain. 2 vicodin did the trick and I made it through the week.

Tonight we had potatos topped with shredded BBQ beef and all the toppings. I needed to use up the leftover beef so this worked.

Tomorrow is our anniv, I keep forgetting!! :laughing: No idea on what we'll do... I flat out told DH it was his year to plan and he's done nothing. Last year we did Texas de Brazil, which we both love, and I have a BOGO free coupon for our anniv so we may end up there. Either that or a local sushi spot.

OH! Funny story!!

At the end of the program last night, I went to the mic to close us all in prayer. I closed my eyes and said 'Dear Lord, thank you for children" and the mic fell out of the stand and onto the floor in front of the stage. I hadn't touched it at all! I was just standing there.

A teenager sitting on the floor in front of me grabbed it and handed it back but there was giggling during the rest of my prayer and then roaring laughter when I said AMEN.

SO FUNNY!

Someone recording right up front was kicking themselves for not recording through my prayer so they could send it to America's Funniest Home Videos.

Today we are going to a family thing with my in-laws so no cooking for me tonight. Well, I did make 2 desserts for this thing yesterday though.

Good Morning! Quick check in...my stomach is bothering me today so I do not even feel like cooking but if I do, it will be cavatelli with chicken and broccoli and italian bread on the side.

Have a great day!

Kathy- you are doing a wonderful job with the threads. Thank you so much!

I have a nasty rash like thing that blossomed on my face, the Dr thinks it is poison ivy or something. It hurts like the dickens and is itchy and looks like a train wreck so I may just stay home tonight. My BIL says it is okay to go into the nursing home but I will have him check it when I get there.

Have a safe and good weekend everyone, I know I missed a lot, I read everything. I am sorry.

You're welcome Nan, hope the rash is better today.

Day camp was fabulous last week - just fabulous. Last night we had hundreds of people come see their child perform what they had worked on all week and it was great. Many of our neighborhood families came, too (we are in a transitional neighborhood surrounded by homeless/nearly homeless/gov housing) and I partnered with our community ministries area to get their children involved this week. It brings it's own challenges but is SO worth the headache.

Tomorrow is our anniv, I keep forgetting!! :laughing:

What a wonderful thing you did for those kids Aimee. Must have felt very rewarding for you, you are special!!!!:hug:

DSCN0140.jpg

Good Morning! Quick check in...my stomach is bothering me today so I do not even feel like cooking but if I do, it will be cavatelli with chicken and broccoli and italian bread on the side.

Have a great day!

Hope you feel better soon!:hug:

WFD - London Broil marinating in Lauren's marinade, Becky's Bacon wrapped Scallops (using prosciutto), Nancy's Greek Potatoes & Sesame Soy Grilled Asparagus.

Kat, You're having a very WFD inspired meal today! Which marinade are you using for the london broil?

Thanks for the well wishes for me. I just feel poopy today...:sad1:

I am not sure WFD but I'm leaning for grilled fish of some sort. I am going to Whole foods I'll see what looks good.

Lauren I hope your stomach thing isn't anything big. I hope you will rest and it gets better later.:hug:

OH! Funny story!!

At the end of the program last night, I went to the mic to close us all in prayer. I closed my eyes and said 'Dear Lord, thank you for children" and the mic fell out of the stand and onto the floor in front of the stage. I hadn't touched it at all! I was just standing there.

A teenager sitting on the floor in front of me grabbed it and handed it back but there was giggling during the rest of my prayer and then roaring laughter when I said AMEN.

SO FUNNY!

Someone recording right up front was kicking themselves for not recording through my prayer so they could send it to America's Funniest Home Videos.

:lmao::lmao: What a way to end the week! I know that you have worked hard with the children but I had no idea how much more you do. You are an amazing woman. Please enjoy your Anniversary today, my wishes are on theri way to you! Feel better.

Kat, You're having a very WFD inspired meal today!

Thanks for the well wishes for me. I just feel poopy today...:sad1:
Just take it easy today. It's Sunday, the weather is gorgeous, and there is nothing that cannot wait until tomorrow!

Thanks Janice! I am getting off the computer now to go rest. This darn DIS is so addicting!

Which is why I am always falling behind! I stop and check in way too often, get sidetracked and the next thing I know :dance3:

Glynis- I would love to see you r sister's birthday cakes. She is so good that there is a living to be made.

Sheryl- my hairdresser was hysterical. He was a young guy, a way weird haircut, tattoos all over, rings etc but WOW! my hair looked awesome. he is gone so I have the owners wife. i just tell her to have a ball and she does. It is my only real indulgence and i would hate to give it up.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I look terrible, 1/2 of my face is all inflamed and looks red and blotchy. It is over my eye. I went to the movies and McDonald's (Kady's choice) last night but I am not going anywhere today. Marisa is going to shop today and cook dinner. I want some sort of grilled fish and she is leaning towards grilled shrimp. Summer squash and onions which are fresh from the farm. A starch and a salad. I made cucumber soup so I ma having that for lunch.

Aimee, :love2:Happy Anniversary! :love2:

Nancy, hope you are feeling better soon.:hug:

WFD- pan fried haddock, roasted broccoli and glazed carrots.

I went to the shower yesterday, the food was sooooooooo disappointing. Fruit salad, frozen mini muffins and danish, scambled eggs, potatoes, rye toast and french toast (which was hard from being in the steamer to long). They brought out undercooked sausage and bacon after everyone had already gone through the buffet. for a nice country club boy was it rotten!!

Ann

Aimee, :love2:Happy Anniversary! :love2:

Nancy, hope you are feeling better soon.:hug:

WFD- pan fried haddock, roasted broccoli and glazed carrots.

I went to the shower yesterday, the food was sooooooooo disappointing. Fruit salad, frozen mini muffins and danish, scambled eggs, potatoes, rye toast and french toast (which was hard from being in the steamer to long). They brought out undercooked sausage and bacon after everyone had already gone through the buffet. for a nice country club boy was it rotten!!

Ann
I would be paying a visit to the manager :headache: I was irritated when coffee was offered only after dinner and not with dessert at my DD's wedding, had more made and then called the banquet manager the next business day. I cannot imagine paying for food and having that happen :confused3

I want to share my cucumber soup recipe. It is very good but you know I did monkey around with the recipe :dance3:

For those on CORE WW it is free. Here is the original:

Cucumber and Yogurt Soup -- Good for Somersizers Recipe #64029

So simple, so delicious, and so legal for Somersizers!
by Mirj
5 min | 5 min prep
SERVES 4
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. If using thick yogurt, run it through a blender until the mixture is smooth.
  3. Chill for several hours and serve.
I used more cucumbers, 1 large onion, 2/3 of a large container of plan FF yogurt, Chicken base and about 2 P water,Tastefully Simple Garlic Dill seasoning and juice from 1 whole lemon, S&P.

Ran the veggies through the Vitamix first, dissolved the base in hot water and added cold to make two cups and added that to blender. Put it in a large serving bowl and mixed in some seasoning and yogurt. I had seen the addition of stock in a different recipe and wanted to lighten it up. It was lighter than the original version and delicious.

Yesterday was fun. The kids loved the aquarium. We ended up going to dinner at Jasper Whote's summer shack. We had fried clams, fried calamari, grilled clams, striped bass, and mahi mahi. The kids had fish and chips and hot dog.

I'm about to start making Sunday linner. Grilled proscuitto-wrapped chicken stuffed with basil and mozzarella cheese, tomato bruschetta, eggplant sticks, and an arugula salad.

Change in dinner plans....Kyle is going to be helping one of his buddies move into an apartment in Hammond, about an hour and a half away and will be spending the night there, so I'm thinking of keeping the London Broil marinating another day and grill that up tomorrow night. Anyone think it'll be too long in the marinade, it's been in it since last night???:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter