The What's For Dinner Thread - Feb '09(recipe index in OP)

I'm back from the doctor. It turns out that I have tendonitis. While that's better than a fracture, there's no real quick "fix" for it. Basically, I just have to try to not use my right arm (I'm right-handed), take tylenol, and ice it. I guess it's good news, but I was hoping for some relief!

On the 10 kids, the only reason I'm not running down the street, tearing my hair out, is because I have a lock on my bedroom door, and the fact that they are all in school! If it was summer, things would be much different!

Scotlass- Good luck with the crockpot, to be honest I'm still scared of mine. Actually, it must be about dinner time so you should know soon.

I love sweet potatoes, this recipe is tasty but a little time consuming. It's easy, it just takes a bit.

Spicy Sweet Potato Sticks
5 sweet potaoes, cut in sticks, tossed in orange juice (just a bit)
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil

Grind spices. Drain excess orange juice. Toss potatoes with spices and oil. Bake at 425F/220C/gas mark 7 for 20 minutes. Then stir. Cook until tender, stirring every 15 minutes.

I don't have a spice grinder, so I use a meat mallet or morter and pestle. I also microwave the potatoes for a few minutes, just to soften them, not cook them at all. They are pretty hard to cut and I value my fingers.

GO DOLPHINS!!!

Here's a link to the team's website, if anyone is interested:

http://hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=DELGADODOLPHINS&t=c&s=baseball&p=home

If you click on "Meet the Dolphins" you can go to each player and see their pic and read their Bio.

Cool!

I'm back from the doctor. It turns out that I have tendonitis. While that's better than a fracture, there's no real quick "fix" for it. Basically, I just have to try to not use my right arm (I'm right-handed), take tylenol, and ice it. I guess it's good news, but I was hoping for some relief!

On the 10 kids, the only reason I'm not running down the street, tearing my hair out, is because I have a lock on my bedroom door, and the fact that they are all in school! If it was summer, things would be much different!

Sorry =( Glad it's nothing major but sorry it'll be an ongoing battle.

I have a busy weekend, darnit. Tonight/tomorrow is a retreat for preteens. We are playing laser tag, putt putt, go karts, video games, etc tonight until 1 or 2 am. then back to play card games for awhile. In the morning we're having brunch at IHOP and seeing a movie. Then they go home and I crash!

DH is going to come tonight to help chaperone; we're meeting some others at a chinese buffet for dinner :cool1:

Nancy -- Do you think Liam would notice the pumpkin? It does sound pretty healthy. The parents at the Christmas party said they would have never known the wacky cake cupcakes didn't have egg in them if I didn't tell them.

Glynis -- It's going to be tough with 10 kids in the house, but try to take it easy and rest that elbow!

Aimee -- I am exhausted reading about your plans for tonight. Have fun and get lots of rest tomorrow.

Kathy -- I am sorry the Dolphins lost today. Best of luck to Kyle and the team for the rest of the season.

I just ended up making pasta tonight. I couldn't figure out what I wanted, and by the time I thought about going to the store, it was too late.

Well, it's about time to start getting ready for tonight's Hen Party. What's a hen party, you ask? Apparently it's a tradition in England. My nephew married a girl from London, and a few days before the wedding, all the women took the bride-to-be out for a dinner. A theme was decided upon and all had to dress accordingly. At the restaurant, the bride-to-be was asked to do some humiliating things in public, like sing in the restaurant, beg for her dinner, etc.

Well, another nephew is getting married so we're throwing a hen party for his fiance. We're going to Mimi's Cafe. She has to dress as a little girl, and the rest of us have to dress as "little old ladies." I'm still trying to put together an outfit. I have a ton of gaudy rhinestone jewelry I inherited from my grandmother, but I need something to wear around the jewels. We'll see what I come up with.

I'm thrilled to be away from the kids and excited to eat at Mimi's! Wish me luck transforming into little old lady!

Hey y'all, The teacher did call Chris. She was very nice & at least acted concerned & understanding on the phone. She didn't say why she hadn't responded to Chris 1st letter. She said she asked Alexis if she had play clothes not grey clothes. She says she didn't see the clothes herself. Chris should have blasted her on that, but she didn't. As I said she is non-confrontational. :confused3 The teacher said she would do everything she could to help Alexis with her problems. Chris was so relieved & surprised that she acted nice & pleasant on the phone. Maybe she should "Phone In" her classes!:rolleyes: It's better than I expected, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things.

I had trouble with that MRI today. It was supposed to be an "open" MRI, but when they do the neck, the huge machine is right in front of your face! I got a little freaked out & a bit nauseous, but was fine after it was over.

Glynis, I'm sorry about your tendonitis! I understand being somewhat disappointed because it won't just go away!

Have fun at the party & take pictures!!!

Aimee, You & Glynis are both going to be worn out!!

Robin, I like those spices you have on those. I roast them diced, but have never tried orange juice or fennel! I'll will try that!

We're getting po-boys tonight from Chateau Orleans!;)

Is that the place Sheryl was raving about the other day? The place that sparked your Cajun whatever it was? :lmao: You know that showed up in my dreams the other night. :rotfl: :confused3 Still waiting on the gator....with this long of a wait, it's gonna be GOOD. ;)

Sorry the Dolphins lost.

I have 23 during the day, but I suspect 10 at home just might be worse! I don't have to feed them or clean them! As they say at work, when the kids go home they have access to the stove and knives! (Which, considering some of the kids in the building, is a horrifying thought!:scared: )

We had tacos for dinner. So easy. Just brown the meat and add that taco seasoning packet. :upsidedow

Scotlass- Good luck with the crockpot, to be honest I'm still scared of mine. Actually, it must be about dinner time so you should know soon.

I love sweet potatoes, this recipe is tasty but a little time consuming. It's easy, it just takes a bit.

Spicy Sweet Potato Sticks
5 sweet potaoes, cut in sticks, tossed in orange juice (just a bit)
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil

Grind spices. Drain excess orange juice. Toss potatoes with spices and oil. Bake at 425F/220C/gas mark 7 for 20 minutes. Then stir. Cook until tender, stirring every 15 minutes.

I don't have a spice grinder, so I use a meat mallet or morter and pestle. I also microwave the potatoes for a few minutes, just to soften them, not cook them at all. They are pretty hard to cut and I value my fingers.
Thanks for the sweet pots recipe...:thumbsup2

And as for the crock pot......lets just say Gordon Ramsay can rest easy.

He's still the best Scots chef on the block !!

Dinner sucked...

Don't know where it went wrong but baby it went wrong !! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But hey, my wellington is the bomb ( I think I might get that on a shirt ).:cool:

Well, it's about time to start getting ready for tonight's Hen Party. What's a hen party, you ask? Apparently it's a tradition in England. My nephew married a girl from London, and a few days before the wedding, all the women took the bride-to-be out for a dinner. A theme was decided upon and all had to dress accordingly. At the restaurant, the bride-to-be was asked to do some humiliating things in public, like sing in the restaurant, beg for her dinner, etc.

Well, another nephew is getting married so we're throwing a hen party for his fiance. We're going to Mimi's Cafe. She has to dress as a little girl, and the rest of us have to dress as "little old ladies." I'm still trying to put together an outfit. I have a ton of gaudy rhinestone jewelry I inherited from my grandmother, but I need something to wear around the jewels. We'll see what I come up with.

I'm thrilled to be away from the kids and excited to eat at Mimi's! Wish me luck transforming into little old lady!

Have a great time.

I had to dress as Minnie Mouse at my hen party....IT WAS SOOOOO COOL !!

We had dares to do too.

12 pairs of boxer shorts collected.....;)

My mum wasn't too impressed with the stripper my friends got tho !!

Good times.

Just got in from my parents. Dinner was great. Veal cutlets with brown gravy, mashed, broccoli, and green beans.

Not sure if I will be on to long I have to get Luke to bed. Talk in the morning!

Ann

I wanted it to be something teh Dr gave you a pill for and then...poof! Sorry it is going to be an ongoing thing for a while.

Nancy -- Do you think Liam would notice the pumpkin? It does sound pretty healthy. The parents at the Christmas party said they would have never known the wacky cake cupcakes didn't have egg in them if I didn't tell them.

Nope, if you don't tell him he will not even taste it. These are very good adn they are rich and fudgey. We don't bother to frost them most of the time. Marisa an I top with Frozwn Cool Whip Free andwe have an ice cream sandwich
Well, it's about time to start getting ready for tonight's Hen Party. What's a hen party, you ask?!

You guys are so much fun!

Hey y'all, The teacher did call Chris.

I had trouble with that MRI today. It was supposed to be an "open" MRI, but when they do the neck, the huge machine is right in front of your face! I got a little freaked out & a bit nauseous, but was fine after it was over.

I hope that she will be a l;better now that she knows that Nana is friend with the counselor and not afraid to pay a visit :drive:

What a tough day you had! I am afraid I would not fare well in an MRI machine either, I get claustrophobic!

Marisa and I had leftovers tonight, Buddy got a humongous grinder. He is one happy guy!

Aimee- do not work too hard!

Good morning everyone!

It is going to be 50 degrees today and I woke with a migrane. These rapid temp changes are not good of us old people.:rotfl2: But I'm not complaining I want the warm.

Lauren Rest up soon enough bean will sprout:rotfl2: sorry it is the migrane talking.

Scotlas Don't give up on the crockpot. I've had my failures too. I remember a certain orange chicken that wasn't even fit for the dog.:sad2:

Tonight we are grilling since. I finally see some wood on my deck, of course I will have to move the remaining snow.

I'm going to go back to bed so I can get over the worst part of this headache.

I am so excited we broke out our new Belgium Waffle maker this morning. Oh, they were so light & yummy!! We usually just have a muffin or bagel with our coffee but DH has asking me to break it in. He was such a happy man when my DM sent it home for him.

Good morning!

Janice- Yup, it is a heat wave all right :thumbsup2 Kady wants burgers ont eh grill for her First Reconciliation luncheon today :confused3 so Marisa will be joining you outdoors grillside

Ann- lucky Duck! I love waffles!

Scotlass, like Janice, I have also had crockpot disasters. My coke chicken comes to mind :scared: Don't give up, just try another :thumbsup2

I probably will not cook tonight, we have to pick Buddy's cousin up at the airport and bring her to her Mom. She was coming in on Wednesday but got nervous and so she will be here early. She plans on staying here and caring for Chris. She did tell me her Mom is in good spirits and said she still has a list, for instance, she is in the middle of making a quilt for her DGD and needs to finish it.

Good Morning!

Still waking up here...

Not sure what dinner will be...we are supposed to go out to dinner and a movie.

Have a great day all...I will try to catch up later.

I ended up having a horrible day yesterday. Before I left for the ball game I got extremely dizzy and stayed that way until late last night. Ok so far today, kinda scary though.

Maybe we'll try and get those poboys tonight.

Hey ladies....I found our new home!!:) Thanks Kat!

This week has been crazy, so I have been MIA. Tons of people (teachers and students) have come down with the stomach bug, so I have been subbing quite a bit, and then yesterday morning my bf asked me to watch her daughter so she could work for a few hours, her dd didn't have school. They left, and the phone rang that Ross was sick with a headache..went and got him, got rid of his headache and he felt pretty good but tired, he went to bed at 6:30 woke up at midnight came into our room and vomited(sorry tmi) on our bedroom floor. Good news is he feels great now! He is off to teach karate, lol. Hoping that Kris and I don't get it...I have washed my hands till they are raw and have lysoled everthing that boy has touched.

Today I am throwing a party at the nursing home for my grandmothers 95th b-day. Tonight we are heading to dinner and get last min things for our trip next week.
Tomorrow Kris and I are helping our friends at their Tattoo Shop, they run a big anniversary special this time every year, and the place is crazy busy so we always lend a hand booking appts. Ross is good friends with their dd, they are like bro/sis.

So my weekend is crazy..thank goodness Ross is feeing better.

I am going to try to catch up late tonight or late tomorrow as best as I can. I have been skimming every day to try to keep up a bit. I saw that Lori posted that makes me feel a bit better to see her around a bit.

Tonight we are eating out somewhere...It will be up to Ross and what he is in the mood for.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I ended up having a horrible day yesterday. Before I left for the ball game I got extremely dizzy and stayed that way until late last night. Ok so far today, kinda scary though.

Maybe we'll try and get those poboys tonight.

Just make sure that you take it easy! It sounds like you are fighting off something

Wendie- Thank goodness Ross is feeling better. What a busy weekend you have and I hope you are not going to get run down too. I hear you with the Lysol wipes, Nola's mom gave me some wipes they use in the dentist's office that will kill just about anything so I wiped every common surface in the house down. SO far so good here... hope for the same for you.
Happy Birthday to your GM!

Just make sure that you take it easy! It sounds like you are fighting off something

I've been reading up on vertigo and it sounds like I have a classic case of it. It got so bad last night I was throwing up. Now today I'm OK. I'm making an appt with my Dr. on Monday, apparently there is medication for it. I never want to feel like that again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter