The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Terrific Tuesday,

I am leaving at 1pm to head to Kearney. I haven't decided if I will come back home or just stay in Kearney. I need some groceries and my back is angry this morning, so I might make some last minute appointments and stay there. Thank goodness gas is cheap right now. We are at $2.17 a gallon, what is gas in your area?

WFDT ~ Planned overs - Doug will be just thrilled :crazy2: We are going into Lincoln on Friday and I don't want them all to go to waste.

Make it a great day!

Happy hump day!!

We had fun yesterday. We colored, we took a walk and played outside. I was home with my jammies on by 7. I was pooped! Doug had the table set and everything warmed up when I got home. He never even complained about the left overs. We spent the rest of the night watching the "Voice". That show is my one guilty pleasure. I just love the blind auditions. We were in bed by 9:30. We were both really tired.

It is raining here today. It started about 8 last night and will probably rain all day. When I was driving home yesterday I saw a few combines in the fields. The bean field just to the south of us was picked yesterday and the corn to the north was picked also. This rain will keep them out of the fields now for a couple of days. But I remember a few years ago that they were still picking at Christmas. This has been a perfect season! My lawn and tree are loving it!

WFDT ~ Lemon and shrimp pasta, green salad and cheese biscuits.

Make it a great day.

Football Eve Friday,

I will just continue to ramble until some one joins me. LOL

I didn't check in yesterday as Liam had surgery yesterday morning. He had his tonsils and adenoids out. Surgery was at 8am, he finally got in close to 9. I was with a very nervous Momma - Elizabeth was a wreck. Liam did very good but had a heck of a time coming out of the anesthetic. He was still very combative (which is SO not like him) at noon. They finally got home around 2. I called this morning and he was up and playing, drinking and totally enjoying all the ice cream and Advenger popsicles he can eat. I am just glad it's over. I tried so hard to be strong for Elizabeth, that when I got home last night I had a bit of a cry. Thank goodness Doug was golfing and Cooper just stayed close. I know it was just tonsils, but I just hated seeing that baby in so much pain, plus you just never know what is going to happen under anesthetic. But all is good and I know he will feel so much better.

Well all we are heading to Lincoln at noon today. We are playing Southern Miss tomorrow - GO BIG RED!! We are 1-2 so far, so not the way we like to be. We have lost 2 games in the last few second of the game. Hopefully we will have a win this Saturday. We are all really liking Coach Mike Riley and do feel that if not this year, there will be a time that Nebraska football will be right back up there with the big boys again. Even with the losses, we love our football and the stadium will be rocking come Saturday morning. I can't wait!!

WFDT ~ a steak at the Road House. YUM!!

Make it a great day all!!

Sorry to leave you hanging Ellen! Just keep rambling, I'm reading even if I can't always comment. So glad everything went OK for little Liam! That's so tough on all the adults watching a poor child suffer.

Nothing exciting dinner wise here. I don't know when I posted last.
We were on the sandwich kick over the weekend and we finished off the tri tip Monday night with hot roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy. Green beans too.

Tuesday night for band, traffic was light and we made it into LA quickly so we had a sit down dinner at IHOP. I had chicken crepes filled with spinach, mushrooms, onions, cheese and topped with hollandaise. It was yummy! Fran had chicken and waffles.

Wednesday I spent the day at the park with two DISers and managed to meet up with a third one. We had a great dinner, but you'll have to wait until I post it on my TR!

Last night we had some chicken pad Thai, crab Rangoon and potstickers from the freezer. I added some bean sprouts and shredded carrots to make it a little more fresh.

Tonight? No clue although if Fran will go with it, I might make lemon chicken, quinoa salad and zucchini boats.

So. Life's a bit busy right now. I volunteered as a photographer for a mini-games meet and it's taken much more time than I had thought. A couple of the other volunteers didn't seem to fulfil their duties and the photog captain asked me to pull in a couple of extra hours. At least the games are now over and my volunteer duties are now over.
I've also been out and about in the garden. I finally bit the bullet and decided I needed someone to come and prune the trees around the house. We just couldn't keep up with the pruning! But after the pruning was done, it renewed my determination to get my garden in shape for the summer. And whilst we got the pruning done, I also decided to get them to pull out two or three bushes. So I've gotten a heap more garden bed space to do some summer vegetables.
But first....I needed to get the weeding done! It's taken me 3 full days of work but the weeds are now down to a manageable level again!

Dinner?
They've been pretty scrappy around here lately. DH and I even had steamed vegies for dinner the other night because we were both not feeling hungry. I've been trying to keep my diet under control; but a few more carbs have come back to my plate. *sigh*

Hope everyone is well!

Good Monday

Alison ~ Your dinner at IHOP sounds so good!! Your meals always make my mouth water. I loved your pictures in DL with your friends. You are so lucky to be able to do that!!

PIO ~ Oh your garden sounds nice. Sometimes it is SO worth it to pay someone else to just "get the job done." I know I will feel better getting mine all ready for winter here.

We did win on Saturday. It wasn't real pretty - but a win is a win and we will take it. We were gifted Volleyball tickets and went to the game in the evening. They played rival Iowa in Conference play and swept them. Was a lot of fun!

I am going to hit the Y right after work then home to work in my flower beds. They are looking a little sad so I am going to clean them and get them ready for winter. It is suppose to hit 85 today and then in the 60's the rest of the week. Fall is here. Did any of you get to watch the Supermoon and total eclipse last night? We were driving home and it was beautiful.

WFDT ~ Grilled pork chops, fresh green beans, stewed tomatoes and strawberries.

Make it a great Day!!

Afternoon girlies,

I got busy this morning and almost forgot to check in. I am starting my busy time. Our Charge Church Conference is really early this year - October 11th. I kind of like it earlier as it isn't so close to Thanksgiving, Advent and the year end.

Liam is feeling better. Elizabeth said that every day is better and they are so glad they had the surgery. The funny thing is, is his little voice is higher. Not scratchy or raspy at all but a lot higher. Too cute!!

I am going to get my hair cut right after work. I look like a shaggy dog. I can't wait. Doug is mowing tonight so we will eat later. It is cloudy today and cool. We are getting the lawn sprayed tomorrow and it's suppose to rain, so that will be good. Oh I almost for to tell you. The Tree DR. said that the tree should not be harmed at all by the part that fell. I was so happy!!

WFDT ~ Butternut squash soup and 3 cheese grilled sandwiches.

Make it a great day.

More crazy days! Glad Liam is feeling better, that's odd about his voice.

PIO, I hope things calm down for you!

Friday night we ended up having pot pies out of the freezer. Saturday was another frozen dinner, Chicken Breasts Cordon Bleu, packaged noodles and frozen green beans. Sunday I did make a dinner from scratch, Beef Stroganoff and sautéed spinach.

Last night we went out to the Melting Pot with Corinna and her girlfriends. The same ones that I toured the park with on last Wednesday, we had great fun! This was all inspired by my visit with PIO about a year ago!

Tonight is band night, if we get there early enough we may have IHOP again, if not probably crappy drive through. Tomorrow night we are seeing Sound of Music at the Ahmanson Theater. Fran has asked if I can find an inexpensive restaurant nearby, I asked if it could be a place where we go inside and order. Doesn't have to be table service, but not drive through, eat our laps. I'll have to see what I can find!

:wave:

I've had a busy week! We ended up having a fellow Aussie Dis-ser come stay with us from Friday. There was another Disser from New Zealand come to town and we had a bunch of activities planned!
Friday ended up with us going to see the Lion King musical.
Saturday was a day in the Dandenongs, where we ended up going to catch the tulips and then head to the Rhododendron Gardens. It started out with everyone at my place for breakfast!
Sunday was spent heading to catch the Miss Fisher Murder Mystery costume display at Ripponlea before we drove the Aussie Dis-ser back to the airport.
And then I just collapsed on the couch!

I did try and log in last night but the Dis seemed off-line!

Food? Surprisingly, we ate sparingly. The Aussie Dis-ser was happy was salads and steamed vegies for one dinner; and then we got falafel for the second dinner. She was so easy to have around!

Hope everyone is well.

WFDT? We're doing burgers!

So PIO, can you share the DIS names? I'm curious who was visting? :hyper:

I'm sure you all saw on FB, we had dinner Wed at Phillippe's in Downtown LA, actually Chinatown. They claim to have invented the French Dip. It was really good, it may become our pre theater at the Music Center meal. Cheap (comparatively) and good.

I have no idea what we did Thursday for dinner, I think that was the night I got the precooked chicken breasts out of the freezer and made packaged noodles and frozen veggies. Friday was ordered dinner, Chinese, Orange Chicken, Fried Rice, Wontons and Hot n Sour soup.

Last night we ate sandwiches at the Hollywood Bowl. Tonight is Pork chops, Creamed Corn (frozen not canned) and zucchini boats.

I thought Zanzibar whatever her numbers are, would be there, and I recognize the other screen names. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you got to meet up with them.

I'm sure you saw on FB that I had a huge DISmeet day with Corinna, as Denise came along and she friended me on FB and I clued her into you, which I see you two are very much chumming it up. But I also actually finally met Scott as well. I have a long way to go until I get there on my TR, but I need to hurry it up since we leave in less than two weeks for our cruise and then I will have a real TR to post about!

I thought Zanzibar whatever her numbers are, would be there, and I recognize the other screen names. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you got to meet up with them.

I'm sure you saw on FB that I had a huge DISmeet day with Corinna, as Denise came along and she friended me on FB and I clued her into you, which I see you two are very much chumming it up. But I also actually finally met Scott as well. I have a long way to go until I get there on my TR, but I need to hurry it up since we leave in less than two weeks for our cruise and then I will have a real TR to post about!

YAY for meeting so many Dis-sers!

Very much looking forward to reading all about it all. I'm sadly without holiday plans and no TR....so I need to live vicariously through you.

Good morning all,

I have SO much to do, but I wanted to pop in and say hi!

Dyton's Mom passed away on Sunday and her funeral is today in Oklahoma City. They left on Monday and won't be back for a week. Oh Joy!! I totally understand - just feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning. I was able to get the Charge Conference postponed till Nov. 3, so that was a HUGH relief. Gives me and the committees more time to get everything done and set.

I am just going to jump back in. I truly don't have time to read back.

Love, hugs and prayers to all of you.

WFDT ~ Hot dogs and Macaroni & Cheese.

Make it a great day!!

Sorry to hear of you loss, Ellen. I hope things calm down soon.

I made Chicken Cacciatore Monday night. It was good. Yesterday we had Mickey D's before band. Tonight will be spaghetti and meat sauce. I took the package of sauce out of the freezer last night.

Ellen - So sorry for your loss.

Life is as normal as it gets here. Spent some time catching up with a 3D friend. She recently had a hysterectomy (she's fine) and had time to catch up whilst on 'sick leave'.
Otherwise, DS is away on school camp.

WFDT? DH and I thought it would be nice to head out to dinner. There's a vegetarian restaurant we spotted in a nearby suburb and we might pop in there to see what's available.

Well we scrapped the spaghetti for another night and ate a Stouffer's Lasagne for dinner. We went to the bookstore for research on trips and ended up coming home at 7PM. I was too tired to make anything so I stuck the frozen lasagna in the oven and sautéed us some spinach to go with it. Brilliant dinner, but I'm really tired. Tomorrow we need to book a 2017 Fantasy Cruise and have no idea when we want to do it! At least we have decided that our DLP trip will be somewhere in june of 2017 so the Fantasy needs to be before that!

Well we scrapped the spaghetti for another night and ate a Stouffer's Lasagne for dinner. We went to the bookstore for research on trips and ended up coming home at 7PM. I was too tired to make anything so I stuck the frozen lasagna in the oven and sautéed us some spinach to go with it. Brilliant dinner, but I'm really tired. Tomorrow we need to book a 2017 Fantasy Cruise and have no idea when we want to do it! At least we have decided that our DLP trip will be somewhere in june of 2017 so the Fantasy needs to be before that!

Dinner sounds delish!

Hope you get your cruise booked. I'm scheming for DLP in 2016.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter