The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Still no word on Alexis. I'm getting worried.

The furnace guys came and it was a relatively easy fix. We had a coupon for 100 dollars off, and the total after the coupon came to 95 dollars. Not too bad, and the best part is that we don't need a new furnace. It's working just fine, now, and my house is toasty warm!

Dinner ended up being the chuckwagon casserole that Nancy posted. It was really good, and the kids really liked it.

Tomorrow is a crazy busy day! My morning is my own, but at 1:30 I work at the school's book fair until 4:00, and then I have to go immediately to Webelos den meeting. That will go until 5:00 and then I'll have to get dinner and homework going. Yikes! Hopefully I can count on Katie to get her own homework done before I get home. If so, she can help the twins get theirs done while I help Jacob. I guess I'll use my morning to prepare for den meeting and do some prep work on dinner. Maybe I should decide now what we'll have tomorrow night. Something easy and quick, I think.

Y'all...Please pray for Alexis. She is on her way back to the dr. complained of stomach pain all night, had diarrhea. Now she is crying that she hurts all over & is running fever. Chris is actually hoping it might be the flu, it would be better than something internal again. I told her to make sure they test & confirm flu before leaving there!

I am just sick over Miss Alexis and these ongoing issues. I so wish you were a little closer :hug:

You all sure do pay a lot for your hair fixing. :scared1: :eek: I guess I had better give my Elizabeth a great big hug. She is a stylist, she stays home with Ethan now, but does work 2 Saturdays a month to keep current. I get my hair cut and colored every 3 weeks (it grows like weeds). I love highlights but it so dries my hair out that I only do those every 8 weeks. She always waxes me everytime. She never lets me pay her - she says - you sent me to school (she graduated with NO school loans hanging over her head) - this is my payment. :) But I do have to tell ya all - there are times she does some funky things with my hair. I am her guinnea pig a lot of times. But it all is good in the end. I had no idea how much money I was saving. WOW!!!

lucky dog!! I would love to have an "in" with a stylist :laughing:

The person I'm growing my hair out to donate in honor of passed away thursday morning. It makes a little extra rinsing not really a big deal. I didn't want to say anything because of all the people here affected by cancer. She was a family friend and an all around wonderful woman.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug: Cancer sucks. :mad:

OK my friends, no bike. I'm just having a hard time "doing nothing" but I realize the damage I could do. Thanks for caring, y'all are the best.:grouphug:

Listen, sister (as I tell my kids!!) - you are welcome to use your bike now, and walk around, and shop or whatever you do but it means there will be no walking, or shopping, or whatever you do at freakin' DISNEY WORLD in less than 2 weeks. You make the choice as to what you would rather do :rolleyes1

:laughing:

I really am sorry it's such a bad sprain :hug: You've scolded me enough times; I figure I can do it back :laughing:

Aimee -- I still can't figure out what cheddar beer soup recipe I use. It seems I combine a couple of them. I'll make it, pay attention to measurements/ingredients, and then post the recipe.

you are so sweet to look - seriously, don't worry about it :goodvibes I'll try one I find online and see how it tastes! I usually far well with Allrecipes.

Crazy day! I had a staff retreat all day, my car wouldn't stay running so I had a coworker drive me home and left my car there, and 10 min after I got home family showed up for a visit! Evidently they called my DH and told him... but he didn't pass this onto me.

Anyways, I was thrilled to see them and we went out for dinner at Logan's. Yummy, yummy!

Hey y'all,

Sorry to get back with an update y'all so late. Stayed late at the hospital, waiting for the dr to show up. They did an ultrasound didn't find any pockets of infection. That's good but now they have to find out what's going on. It was a long scary day for us. When they started checking her for meningitis, Chris & I were at the edge. She has elevated white blood cell count, headache, dizziness & diarrhea. They are now testing for bacterial infection in the intestines & all flu virus. The dr seemed to be leaning towards a bacterial infection. One in particular called c-dif is suspected. It can develop after strong antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria in the intestines and this flares up. The antibiotics after the surgery could have started that. We should get some answers tomorrow. Alexis has been pretty upset, scared & crying a lot. She was in a lot of pain earlier in the day, then after they got iv fluids in her she perked up & cryed to eat a hotdog. After the ultrasound they let her eat & she enjoyed it, but immediately was in the bathroom. The iv was messed up already & when I left they were going to have to put another one in. She was plan ole PO'd about that!

I so appreciate all of you! Your concern, good wishes & prayers touch my heart. Thanks.:grouphug:

Hey y'all,

Sorry to get back with an update y'all so late. Stayed late at the hospital, waiting for the dr to show up. They did an ultrasound didn't find any pockets of infection. That's good but now they have to find out what's going on. It was a long scary day for us. When they started checking her for meningitis, Chris & I were at the edge. She has elevated white blood cell count, headache, dizziness & diarrhea. They are now testing for bacterial infection in the intestines & all flu virus. The dr seemed to be leaning towards a bacterial infection. One in particular called c-dif is suspected. It can develop after strong antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria in the intestines and this flares up. The antibiotics after the surgery could have started that. We should get some answers tomorrow. Alexis has been pretty upset, scared & crying a lot. She was in a lot of pain earlier in the day, then after they got iv fluids in her she perked up & cryed to eat a hotdog. After the ultrasound they let her eat & she enjoyed it, but immediately was in the bathroom. The iv was messed up already & when I left they were going to have to put another one in. She was plan ole PO'd about that!

I so appreciate all of you! Your concern, good wishes & prayers touch my heart. Thanks.:grouphug:

I'm glad I got to see this before I went to bed. I'm glad she's been admitted and they are taking her situation seriously. I pray answers are found ASAP. Knowing nothing is torture :hug:

I hope you can get some sleep tonight. :hug:

Sheryl Poor Alexis I hope they figure out what is going on.

Aimee Tonight when I get home I'll post the soup recipe I used. I turned out pretty good. I still needs fussing. Last night I added a good smoked bacon. That was pretty good.:thumbsup2

Tonight will be leftovers since we have a bunch.

Hugs to all :hug:

Good morning,

Sheryl, Well, I am relieved that its not an internal infection that Alexis has but I hope that they find out what else it may be. Continued prayers for her and everyone else. I hope she is feeling a bit better today...I had to have multiple IVs put in when I had T...that poor little girl going through all that. Please give her an extra hug today for me.

Not sure about dinner. Something with ground beef. the burgers I made last week were really good so maybe those again. I fried them up with onions.

I have another realtor coming at noon...fun, fun! Well, at least we are going to have our house listed soon.

Have a great day all!

10 MORE DAYS!

Hey y'all,

Sheryl, thanks for the update. I hope you get some answers today and that she starts feeling better. She has been through a lot, and her mom and you too. :hug:

Let me know if you need anything. I know you have my new number!

Sheryl - Thanks for updating us and I hope you were able to get some rest. I'm praying for all of you and hoping they can diagnose the problem early today and can start treating her. I just feel so sorry for her, Chris and all of you.:sad1: Please let me know if I can help in anyway.

Aimee – Your scolding was no worse than the others I’ve received.:laughing: I truly appreciate the fact that I have friends who care so much and besides you are right!

WFD - Parmesan chicken pasta and corn.

I tend to ignore my grays. It helps that I have dark blonde hair; it kinda blends in:lmao:

My sister did the same thing. Her grays were really silver so they looked like highlights for a long time. Then they took over :mad: I am wicked jealous of Ellen!

The furnace guys came and it was a relatively easy fix. We had a coupon for 100 dollars off, and the total after the coupon came to 95 dollars.

Tomorrow is a crazy busy day!

That was easy :thumbsup2

Now you know that all of your days are crazy :lmao::lmao:Don't get worn out!

Hey y'all,

Sorry to get back with an update y'all so late.
I am so glad that they are working on this, that poor child ha been through too much. She really is a trouper and I know that you and her Mom are making this so much easier on her. How is Bob through this? When Kady has been sick Buddy is heartsick for her. I think that men are so much at a loss when their Princesses are so sick. They are helpless when they really feel the need to fix them.

I have another realtor coming at noon...fun, fun! Well, at least we are going to have our house listed soon.

BUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent the day washing the outside trim on the house and cleaning the siding. I did a hydrowash on the windows and scrubbed the screens. I just need to give my windows a final wash and they are all done. Then Buddy came home and showed me how to use the pressure washer so we started the front porch. We have had so much rain that it is a mess. I have washed it but I could not clean the wood so this it. I will finish it today and then clean my retaining wall. The whoel thing needs to be sealed after this but I think that will need to wait until Saturday. Anyway, I spent the day soaked and freezing. Dinner was going to be kielbasa but I did not get in until after 6 so Buddy had lasagna that Welby brought over and I had Marisa's bean burrito bake. I am planning the kielbasa for today but Buddy had the visual screen test again tonight. We may just get a sandwich out. BBL!

Sheryl, continued prayers for all of you especially Little Miss Alexis. I am glad news so far has been good, prayers for answers and relief soon.

Glynis, stew was very good. DH was not thrilled with supper when he heard what I planned but he went back for seconds so it couldn't have been to bad!;) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Vicki, Aimee & Kathy, how are you all feeling?

Nancy, how are Buddy & Marisa feeling?

F&W girls your trip is right around the corner!:cool1:

DH is on-call for the week, an wants to cut the grass tonight. So dinner is just going to be burgers and fries.

Sheryl -- Thank you for the update on Alexis. I hope you get answers soon. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy -- I wish there was a quick fix for your ankle because I know you are frustrated. Keep resting.

Nancy -- I felt pretty productive yesterday with washing my bathroom and kitchen floors, but I have nothing on you!

Lauren -- Good luck with the realtor today.

This afternoon is our skating and ballet day. We're going to grab something quick in between.

Ann- Kady is right as rain! Buddy called yesterday to tell me that he had no pain. None! He was sore when he got home but for a while he was good :thumbsup2

Laura- I have no kids at home so I should have way more done than I can say I have. Buddy did a lot of garden and container clean up the other day. I still have to do my beds but I was feeling embarrassed that I am home all day and still he is out cleaning the yard.

I do have an ulterior motive, Buddy will probably be home a lot this winter and I get nothing done if he is here. It is not hard for him to convince me that I have done enough so I should sit and watch TV or read ;) I figure that if I get a lot of this yucky stuff done now I won't feel guilty if I am a slug come wintertime :cutie:

I broke out my steam cleaner and steamed all of the bathroom and the woodwork in there. We have rough cut pine and it is a dog to clean so this makes it easier. Halloween is complete there :thumbsup2

Kat- give the steroids some time, but stay off it in the meantime.

Waiting to hear about our Alexis :wizard:

Sheryl, I can only imagine how stressed you must be right now. Poor little Alexis. I hope they are able to get her better quickly!

Kathy, keep resting that ankle! You don't want to end up having to pay to rent a scooter at Disney!

Dinner last night was a repeat--the gratineed egg dish, plus an arugula salad and some toast. It was really good. I think we are just having burgers tonight.

3987090276_bbc2f64ccc.jpg

Kathy,I really hope you start feeling better soon!

Nancy, Bob's doing okay. He couldn't leave work, he had meetings scheduled all day. Perhaps that was for the best, because he just about lost it, when I told him residents kept coming in, poking & prodding Alexis. He said next time I am to tell them to go get the REAL DR! Honestly if they would have identified themselves as residents I would have put a stop to it. But they'd just come in & identify themselves as dr so & so.

I'm heading over there now. Had to get clothes together for them. Lastest update, is they have ruled out all flu viruses. They are very concerned her white blood cell count is very high. They now believe she probably has a antibiotic resistant intestinal bacteria. They are waiting on lab work to confirm that, but are treating her for that. IV antibiotic & lactobacillus. Looks like she may be in for a while. :sad1: Gotta run. :grouphug:

Oh Sheryl, thinking of you all. I know it is awful for grandparents to see them helpless. Luke just has a cold and my phone is constantly ringing checking on them. It is so hard for kids to understand the restrictions and poking at them...tell them to put it in her file no more residents...that makes me so mad :headache: ...it is to darn upseting for the children. Sure they would not want their kids to be a guinea pig. Prayers and love to you all.

Aimee Tonight when I get home I'll post the soup recipe I used. I turned out pretty good. I still needs fussing. Last night I added a good smoked bacon. That was pretty good.:thumbsup2

that would be great- thanks! :yay:

I spent the day washing the outside trim on the house and cleaning the siding. I did a hydrowash on the windows and scrubbed the screens. I just need to give my windows a final wash and they are all done. Then Buddy came home and showed me how to use the pressure washer so we started the front porch. We have had so much rain that it is a mess. I have washed it but I could not clean the wood so this it. I will finish it today and then clean my retaining wall. The whoel thing needs to be sealed after this but I think that will need to wait until Saturday.

Would you like to come to my house next? :flower3:

I'm heading over there now. Had to get clothes together for them. Lastest update, is they have ruled out all flu viruses. They are very concerned her white blood cell count is very high. They now believe she probably has a antibiotic resistant intestinal bacteria. They are waiting on lab work to confirm that, but are treating her for that. IV antibiotic & lactobacillus. Looks like she may be in for a while. :sad1: Gotta run. :grouphug:

Still praying. :hug: She's in a children's hospital, right?

I hit post too soon :rolleyes:

I am making a new casserole tonight that I saw in one of my many magazines - black bean and pumpkin bake (it has meat in it so DH should be fine :laughing:).

Have any of y'all used Magical Express? We always rent a car so I never have BUT when I added another night on our trip, and tried to change my car rental, it went up $400 bucks! I had scored a fantastic rate ($200 for 8 days at Christmas on a full size) and there was no way I could get that back if I tweaked the reservation. So, I booked a room at ASMu for $59 that first night and we can take ME there and the next day, when my rental starts, we can either 1)ride the ME bus back to the airport or 2)have mom drive us out there when she gets off (what we'll likely do) to pick it up.

Sheryl- Thinking of all of you, poor little kid. I'll keep my opinion of residents to myself, I know everyone needs to learn at some point but some of them get quite the power trip.

Aimee- I've never used magical express, my parents always pick us up. My brother used it and I think it worked out well for him.

Ann- Our house gets so much sand, I can't keep up with it. I can dust everyday and that isn't enough, so I don't.

Nancy- That's always our plan in the spring, get all the yard work done early so in the summer after work we can just relax. I like to do it in the fall too, there are to many holidays coming up to spend them cleaning, I want to enjoy them.

Kathy- Hope your ankles feeling better, the rest will be worth it when you're feeling perfect at Disney.

Lauren- I think you've earned an easy dinner, besides, burgers are so tasty.

Roast chicken, potatoes, and acorn squash for dinner. Enjoy the day all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter