The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

I'm trying a new recipe for dinner tonight. It's Thai Pork. It's cooked in the crock pot, and so far, it smells heavenly! I'll serve it with brown rice, and some veggies from our garden. Dessert will be mint brownies while we watch a movie.

Hope everyone's Sunday is delightful!

Then the boy had his dance class and he had a trial for the Break dance class ( bigger boys ) that he has been wanting to join for ever.

His teacher said he was ready long ago but had to wait till he was nine.

He had to do a " battle " and he won...he is soooo happy and Im very proud of my wee scone.

:yay::yay:

I'm trying a new recipe for dinner tonight. It's Thai Pork. It's cooked in the crock pot, and so far, it smells heavenly! I'll serve it with brown rice, and some veggies from our garden. Dessert will be mint brownies while we watch a movie.

Hope everyone's Sunday is delightful!

If it is good please share the recipe!

Well dinner is settled. Buddy wants tuna salad. Yup.....I slaved over the counter and made him his tuna and then made him one of my berry martinis :thumbsup2. Since I have tossed my WW out the window this week I am also having one and am munching on cheese and crackers. I'll have something that I have in the fridge. I am going to get lazy if Buddy keeps encouraging me :rotfl:

Just called to cancel my procedure for monday...gonna have to reschedule.
Not sure if it is my tubal or having the baby but this is my first period and it has been my worst ever. TMI.

At least that means no prep today. :cool1:

I'm sorry :hug:

Then the boy had his dance class and he had a trial for the Break dance class ( bigger boys ) that he has been wanting to join for ever.

His teacher said he was ready long ago but had to wait till he was nine.

He had to do a " battle " and he won...he is soooo happy and Im very proud of my wee scone.

BBl...xx

:yay::yay::yay: Congrats to him!!

Today is crazy! This morning I had preschoolers coming out my EARS! I had to do one of those "just breathe" moments in the midst of the chaos. The rest of the morning/afternoon went well and then I skipped over to an art open house in honor of my great uncle. I've mentioned him before - he's a painter who is quite famous in our area for his work and he stores his paintings at my house. He was honored at some big fancy shin-dig on Thursday night and then had other parties all weekend in his honor. I tailed along with a friend that was invited to this one so I could go :laughing:

Tonight is a concert so I'm just staying here. DH is going to come meet me and we're getting Panera for an early dinner.

My car isn't working right so I'm stranded here at work. :sad2:

Not feeling any better today, but so it goes with allergies.

This season has seemed especially bad. I can usually keep mine under control, but this year, my eyes are on fire! I can't believe you can run like that. I am attempting my first ever zumba class Wednesday...we'll see how that goes. It could be scary.

Got a new bus so have to break it in. My kids & parents were so glad I was back

That must be so good to hear! I hope the seat get more comfortable soon.

This trying to study is really taking away my DIS life!

With kids, you are always reminded that they are hungry.

Your studies are way more important! Isn't that what we tell our children? You are so right about never missing a meal with kids. Once they start fighting, I start offering food.

At least that means no prep today. :cool1:

I'm sorry about the reason, but happy for the no prep! I can't imagine going through that and the monthly visitor at the same time.

I also need to find something to make with all the apples I bought.

My kids would vote for apple crisp.

Congratulations! He must be so excited.

I am going to get lazy if Buddy keeps encouraging me :rotfl:

It's okay to take a break sometimes.

I tailed along with a friend that was invited to this one so I could go :laughing:

Okay, so let me get this straight. You store the artwork, but you don't get an invitation? That seems a little strange to me. :confused3

Today we had grilled cornish hens, peach salsa, curried sweet potatoes, sugar snap peas and squash. It was all good, but the squash was my favorite. The curried sweet potatoes were a close second.

That must be so good to hear! I hope the seat get more comfortable soon.

Oh ya Laura it sure was nice to hear, had alot of warm fuzzies that first day I new I would though because kids (high school) were grabbing my 2 boys phone and calling me at home begging to come back while I'm laying in a hospital bed. That was all the incentive I needed had to get back. (Shh don't tell anyone I can be really stuborn when I want) Dr.s ? weather I could but I said I will. Thanks

Okay, so let me get this straight. You store the artwork, but you don't get an invitation? That seems a little strange to me. :confused3

:laughing: This was just a group of his art friends here in town that were getting together so everyone could visit with him at one time, along with some other people in the art industry (dealers, etc) that wanted a longer conversation with him. One of my friends happens to be part of his art circle so I tagged along just to see what it was all about. He sometimes invites me to come to things but he needs to socialize with his "people" and it's awkward not knowing anyone so I don't usually go. Plus art people can be odd :laughing: This time, I knew someone so we just popped in and out.

He is very modest and doesn't want to brag so I usually find out AFTER the fact what award he's won, or what museum is displaying his art. :confused3 Since I'm not in the art circles, I am not on any mailing lists to find out ahead of time.

Oh ya Laura it sure was nice to hear, had alot of warm fuzzies that first day I new I would though because kids (high school) were grabbing my 2 boys phone and calling me at home begging to come back while I'm laying in a hospital bed. That was all the incentive I needed had to get back. (Shh don't tell anyone I can be really stuborn when I want) Dr.s ? weather I could but I said I will. Thanks

I am sure you loved having such a nice incentive to return.

-------------------------

Emma is on a roll with sleeping she is doing great!!!

I had a bad night with DS yesterday. He decided to trip over my foot and land face first into the corner of our french door. He hit so hard, he was running full force. He has a nice black & blue but fortunately no stitches. He scared the crap out of me, and we had him in our bed last night to make sure he was ok. He also started with a runny nose and woke up at 11pm with a 101.8 fever. No fever this morning just a running nose, which I am not crazy about with the baby.

DH snuck out of the house so we could all get some much needed sleep...but the Dr. office called because the answering service never forwarded my cancellation along for this mornings test. Thank goodness I cancelled because Luke needed me last night. Emma was a little Cherub and slept though it all.

BBL, having a much needed cup of coffee with DS on my lap.

Good Morning!

Thinking of you today Maria! :hug: Please update us when you can.

Ann, So sorry that DS fell and now seems to be getting a cold. That is great that Emma is sleeping.

We had a couple of my friends over yesterday...we went out and ate outside by a cute place on the river.

Today is Kat's baked ziti, salad and garlic bread....I am having a craving.

BBL...I have T in my arms so its hard to type. Have a great day!

Maria, sending love and prayers your way.

---------------

Just spoke to DM to fill her in on our night last night...she had a doozy as well. She had my brother and his family over for steak, mashed pot, and salad. Well, my goddaughter had an allergic reaction to dinner and ended up being taken away in the rescue. My poor mother thought she was so safe. She said she wont be cooking for her anytime soon. Scary, the only thing they figure it could be was canola oil in the salad dressing she made. DN is home now and fine. Allergies are so darn scary.

I'm going to try and get back into the swing of things this week. Hopefully my girl will "be back home" in a day or so, we had her cremated. Today is my first day home alone and it's very strange. Kyle will be coming in this afternoon to have a physical and will spend a few hours with us. I'll be sending him back with Shrimp creole, rice, garlic bread and a hot fudge pudding cake.

Maria - I'm keeping you in my prayers today.

I just don't have the right mindset to go back and read everything I've missed so hoping I didn't miss anything, if I did, I'm sorry my friends.:grouphug:

WFD - Red beans & rice, Italian sausage and a salad.

Kathy - Please don't worry about keeping up with this thread! Just know that we are here for you and praying for you and the family! I know it's so hard to be without Sammie. If I can do anything, please let me know! You've done so much for all of us, I hope we can repay you!

Ann - Yikes for DS!!! Scary!!! I remember Katie doing something similar when she was 2. She decided to stand up in the front of the cart at the store, and it tipped over. She landed head first on the floor. Huge concussion! It was so scary! We had to keep her up all night long. Poor baby! It turned out alright, but it was terrifying! Congratulations on Emma sleeping so well. Timothy was, but has gone back to waking up once or twice a night. Not fun!

Lauren - How goes the moving stuff?

Dinner tonight will be corndog twists! Very fast and easy, and Katie can make them which is good, since I'm ditching the family tonight to go play with my father. Should be fun!!!

Glynis, how was the Thai Pork???? Sounds like something I would love.

Kathy, no need to apologize. Give Kyle and extra long hug and kiss when you see him.

Lauren, how are you holding together with all the change?

Kathy, I read a moving essay in today's local paper about a boy growing up and going to college. I thought you might like to read it. Here is a link:

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2009/09/14/boys_life/?page=1

Vickie, congratulations to the boy! He must be excited.

Maria, I hope all goes well for you today.

I have some photos to share. Here is dinner Saturday night. Seared halibut in lemon sauce over an orzo-spinach-tomato medley with sauteed soft shell crabs:

3917019973_6727283874.jpg

Friday's dinner, bucatini with heirloom tomato sauce:

3912604972_e055255428.jpg

The sandwich I made the night I forgot to eat dinner. It is half chicken and half steak. As you can see I was planning for leftovers. This made six servings.

3911821863_6f9d8a7048.jpg

Here is a piece of the steak side:

3911821651_3f88298e7f.jpg

Yesterday's grilled cornish hens:

3917808874_be7ce4e8d9.jpg

peach salsa:

3917020333_abc9706924.jpg

curried sweets:

3917809514_8382562b6d.jpg

squash and snap peas:

3917020515_e69175604d.jpg

20 pounds of tomatoes that I turned into five quarts of sauce:

3917020675_de9f3046d2.jpg

Lunch photo. Today's bento boxes:

3917808738_31e9119655.jpg

Not sure WFD yet. John and I are going to the Patriots game. We may just grab something at the stadium.

Becky, Have fun at the Pats Game. Ron & DSS are going. I was just getting everything ready for them to tailgate. They are leaving around 1:30.

GO PATS!!!!

Becky - Thanks for the link, that was very moving. I will show it to Johnny when he gets home this evening. Have fun at the game!

He sometimes invites me to come to things but he needs to socialize with his "people" and it's awkward not knowing anyone so I don't usually go. Plus art people can be odd :laughing:
:laughing: Okay that makes sense!

Ann -- I hope Luke is feeling better today. Poor thing. That is scary about your niece! I haven't heard of that kind of reaction to canola oil.

Maria-- I hope all goes well for you today.

Kathy -- I thought of you when I read the article Becky posted too. :hug:

Glynis -- Have fun with your dad tonight.

Lauri -- I'm glad the kids appreciate you so much.

I am completely disorganized today, so I haven't even figured out dinner. I'll post it later.

---------------

Just spoke to DM to fill her in on our night last night...she had a doozy as well. She had my brother and his family over for steak, mashed pot, and salad. Well, my goddaughter had an allergic reaction to dinner and ended up being taken away in the rescue. My poor mother thought she was so safe. She said she wont be cooking for her anytime soon. Scary, the only thing they figure it could be was canola oil in the salad dressing she made. DN is home now and fine. Allergies are so darn scary.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That must have been so frightening! I am so glad your niece is okay!

I just don't have the right mindset to go back and read everything I've missed so hoping I didn't miss anything, if I did, I'm sorry my friends.:grouphug:

Oh Sweetie, don't think about catching up. just enjoy your son and take care of yourself :hug:

Dinner tonight will be corndog twists! Very fast and easy, and Katie can make them which is good, since I'm ditching the family tonight to go play with my father. Should be fun!!!

Have fun!

Not sure WFD yet. John and I are going to the Patriots game. We may just grab something at the stadium.

Have fun at the game!

Hey Y'all,

Alexis has gone back to school today & so far no phone call from school! We had a family b-day gathering on Saturday. I wish y'all could have seen that child running around with her cousins!! It was something else, she did start to hurt in the afternoon, but after a little rest & the tylenol kicked in she was up & at it again!

Maria, I'm praying for good news on your mammogram! :flower3:

Ann, I'm glad your niece is okay! I hope Luke gets well quickly & it doesn't spread around the family. :hug:

Becky, my stomach is a mess & I haven't wanted to eat today until I saw your food!!! It all looks so wonderful! :thumbsup2

Nancy, I can't believe Nola is one already!! No not possible!

Kathy, Don't worry about keeping up, just stay in touch & call me if you need to talk!

Lauri, I'm glad your kids appreciate you! I hope you start feeling better & more comfortable while working. :hug:

I still have leftover steak! Those 2 NY strips I cooked last week were huge, 2pounds of meat. I felt bad splurging on them at WF, but we've had 3 meals already on it. I'll either make fajitas with the leftovers or a sandwich cause Becky's looked so yummy.

Sheryl- don;t you wish you were as resilient as Alexis? Kids! :cool1::cool1::goodvibes

Lauri- forgive me, I missed your post so I did not know you were hurting. Feel better soon!

Dinner is baked chicken with a duck sauce glaze, sweet potatoes and a veggie. I made chili and SF FF chocolate pudding to bring to my brother and will leave when the little Sleepyhead wakes up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter