• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

I enjoyed meeting everyone and we had such a good time. Dinner at CG was good, but I thought the food at Citrico's blew CG away! My Mom really enjoyed herself and I appreciated how everyone made her feel right at home. She said I had wonderful friends. :lovestruc I know I do.

Sheryl is right, we need to plan a WFD get together. It was so much fun getting together, we need to do it again.

We stayed at Bay Lake and loved it. The photos don't do that place justice. It was comfortable and roomy and we decided we may have a new favorite place to stay.

But other than meeting with friends and our beautiful villa our vacation was a bust. Kenny's 22 year old nephew overdosed at the beginning of the week so he went home early Tuesday morning, attended the funeral Wednesday afternoon and returned to Disney late Wednesday night. This is the same nephew that I have told all of you about that has wrecked more cars than I can count and was seriously injured a couple years ago in a motorcycle accident. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I am just so aggravated that he has caused his family so much needless pain.

Then Tuesday morning, Mom came down with the 24 hour stomach bug. She made me leave her in the room and insisted that I take the girls to the Halloween party. They really enjoyed the parade, but we only stayed a couple of hours.

Then I woke Wednesday morning not feeling really well. I thought I was just tired but as the day wore on, I started feeling worse and worse. Well ladies, I caught the flu. By Thursday evening, I had a fever over 104 and Kenny took me to the urgent care clinic. Completely misnamed BTW. Not urgent and not a great deal of care. But anyway, I left with some tamiflu and we decided not to tempt fate any longer and left a day early - Friday morning.

Hailey woke up Friday morning with a cough and a slight fever and her dr was nice enough to call in some tamiflu for her. Jessica - the therapist who was also keeping Tori was nice enough to pick it up and leave it here at the house for us since we arrived after our pharmacy closed. She is still feverish and coughing terribly but at least we came home early enough to get her started quickly on the tamiflu.

I still feel pretty cruddy and the bags haven't even been unpacked. I'm trying to ignore the things that need to be done around the house and take it easy.

Anyway, it's good to be back home sick or not.

Ack! I hate when illness follows us on vacation :sick: Growing up, my sister got sick EVERYTIME we vacationed. Her body just doesn't take change well. I remember spending time in the dang urgent care every vacation we went on - including WDW. I hope you're able to schedule a "make up" vacation soon :hug:

I am trying CA Grill for the first time this year - Christmas dinner, matter of fact - but I loooooooooved Citricos when we went a few years ago. Certainly a hidden gem IMO.

Aimee I think we all need a lesson is "rest". Doing odds and ends is not resting!:rolleyes1 Plop yourself on the couch put in a good movie and stay there.

:laughing: Shopping at Target is rest for me... I loooooove Target. But I only went out for about 2 hours, picked up more than I needed, grabbed sushi on the way home for later and am in for the night.

Aimee, I have tried both. When I was first laid off pilates was a lifesaver for stress & relaxation. Both my DM & I have tried tai chi. Give it a shot, I think you'll be so happy you did.

Wanted to share this with you, simple, fattening & delicious.
Baby Eskimo

Recipe Ingredients

2 oz. Kahlua
2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
8 oz. Milk
Instruction

Leave ice-cream out for about 10 minutes. Add ingredients in order, stir with chopstick (butter knife or spoon works too). Consume immediately and often. Nice and light, great for following a heavy drink.

Thanks for your thoughts AND for that yummy concoction!!

Picked up costume today for Miss Lucy (my Miniature Schnauzer). I think she'll be adorable! Once I wrangle her into it, I'll snap some pics.

pumpkindog.jpg

I have this costume already for Winston, though he's never worn it.

32090.jpg

This is Winston - won't he look adorable?!
ry%3D400

Harley, the Shih Tzu, does not handle situations with new people well so he'll be staying inside while we sit on the porch and give out candy with the other two dogs. I didn't buy him a costume since he won't be seen. I doubt he'll be sad about that :laughing:

Just flying by for now

Thankfulmommy- Hi there! Please join in the conversation adn posting your meals, your post count will climb for sure!

Gretchen- :grouphug:

Aimee- I am so glad you are resting!

I have kady and her GF. Miranda had spaghetti, Kady had hot dogs, Buddy and I are going to rummage the fridge now!

It was a sad day in our house last night. We mutually decided to cancel our upcoming trip to WDW. DH was not liking things he has been reading about the swine flu, and I have been concerned from day one about exposing the kids. I know we can get it just about anywhere, but flying with them bothered me. The other big thing was we just did not want to be that far away from home if one of us got sick. Call us paranoid, or precautious either way I am sad. :sad1: It was only two weeks away and I know DS was excited.

Good Morning! Just wanted to check in...I am having problems with my hand so typing is a struggle but I have been reading and thinking of everyone.

Riley is doing OK...he is getting around pretty good. He hates to take the pills so that is a struggle. The eye still looks yucky but I hope it is OK. It is not leaking fluid anymore so that is good. He goes back to the vet on Wed so we are hoping for good news.

they are having open house today so we will take riley to my neices bday party.

baby is crying to get out of crib...bbl

Lauren I hope your house sells soon. It sounds like you need some rest. Praying hard for Riley :hug:

Maria That drink sounds so good.

Ann Sorry you felt you needed to cancel. :hug: I agree this illness is making everyone nervious. I just found out last night another kid I know is down with it. I wish more of the vaccine was out Maybe I would relax then.

Last nights dinner was good. I had a mixed grill tandori so I could get several tastes all at once. The fish was wonderful chicken to. What surprised me was the lamb. I really liked that. Lamb and I have a love hate relationship. I love it right up to the moment the gamey taste comes then I hate it. :rotfl2: But the gamey part never came last night.:woohoo: My friends husband and the kids made apple pie for dessert. I was hoping for his flourless chocolate cake. Her husband make a really good cake. I need to find a man to bake for me.:rolleyes1

Hey ladies! Just a quick post from me as I'm at work. I'm helping out one of the newest Walgreens in the area and it's SUPER slow. I'm just sitting here surfing the net. Wish I would've brought a book!

We had a blast at the Halloween party last night. But darn it, no one got a pic of me in my costume. ;) Hate that!

Not sure wfd tonight as I'll be here until 6.

Aimee--the pooch costumes are adorable!

Lauren--prayers and pd for a quick sale!

Ann--so sorry u cancelled your trip. But your well-being, physical and mental is the most important. Disney will be there next year!

Gretchen--it was so nice meeting you and your mom at cg! So sorry to hear about all the illness! I think I had the 24 hr bug after I left cg Sunday night. Might have been something I ate, but I don't think so. Made travelling home super fun.

Ok, should really pretend to be working! Have a great Sunday all!

It was a sad day in our house last night. We mutually decided to cancel our upcoming trip to WDW. DH was not liking things he has been reading about the swine flu, and I have been concerned from day one about exposing the kids. I know we can get it just about anywhere, but flying with them bothered me. The other big thing was we just did not want to be that far away from home if one of us got sick. Call us paranoid, or precautious either way I am sad. :sad1: It was only two weeks away and I know DS was excited.

I'm sorry :hug:

Good Morning! Just wanted to check in...I am having problems with my hand so typing is a struggle but I have been reading and thinking of everyone.

Riley is doing OK...he is getting around pretty good. He hates to take the pills so that is a struggle. The eye still looks yucky but I hope it is OK. It is not leaking fluid anymore so that is good. He goes back to the vet on Wed so we are hoping for good news.

they are having open house today so we will take riley to my neices bday party.

baby is crying to get out of crib...bbl

Glad Riley seems to be getting better!

Tonight is our annual costume skating party - I am grabbing fast food on the way home from it unless DH wants to meet me someplace.

What is Liam going to dress as?

He picked out a clone trooper costume today. I'm glad the party went well. I figured the girls would have a blast with the karaoke.

I also need to pick up some things for our costume skating party tomorrow night.

What kind of skating? What did you dress up as?

Gretchen -- I am so sorry you are sick! I hope you and Hailey feel better soon.

Ann -- I completely understand why you canceled, but it still stinks. I hope you start planning another one soon.

Caili skated so well yesterday. She placed second out of three (they divide the flights by age, so sometimes the flights are small) and we were happy with that considering it was the first time she competed with this program. For those on FB, I didn't video this one. The rink was so cold and I was so nervous, I couldn't hold the camera steady. I decided just to watch the performance instead.

Dinner today was roast chicken, smashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, turnips with shallots, and gravy.

WFD- burgers and onion rings.

Okay, so I bought a bottom round rump roast today...now what the heck do I do with it????

I rarely make any type of pot roast or roast beef. DH is not a huge fan, so I don't bother. I have been craving beef, and now I bought something I have never cooked. DM suggested oven roasting it. I am so afraid to ruin it. Don't know why but this is something that scares me to cook. :scared1:

DS got his H1N1 flu mist today. He did great! He was so focused on the final reward of Sponge Bob stickers and a pop that he did not care.

Hope everyone and your families are well.

We have a crazy week ahead of us. DS birthday party is Tuesday, Wednesday a baptism class, Saturday Halloween, and the baptism is on Sunday.

My SIL (DD's godmother) has offered to take care of dessert for the baptism. She is going to bring a cake and finger pastries. :woohoo: She is bringing a Konditor Meister cake for the Mass. girls, you probably have heard of them...very tasty.

http://www.konditormeister.com/

Ann -- ...I hope you start planning another one soon.
We have booked WL for September 2010. We now have flight credit to use.
Something to look forward to.

--------

Has anyone oven roasted cauliflower??? I bought a head and thought I might try to oven roast it for a change...is it good that way???

Ann roasted cauliflower is really good. My friend takes steamed or nuked head of cauli and adds a brick of cream cheese and mashed it together. Very similar to mashed potatoes.:thumbsup2

We have booked WL for September 2010. We now have flight credit to use.
Something to look forward to.

--------

Has anyone oven roasted cauliflower??? I bought a head and thought I might try to oven roast it for a change...is it good that way???

I'm glad you rebooked. I'm sorry you had to cancel but understand. Are the kids good with the heat? September can be a killer.

Oven roasted cauliflower is delicious. I also make mashed cauliflower but use cheddar cheese, milk, butter & seasoning.
Why don't you do the beef in a crock pot or slow cooker? Comes out so tasty & tender.

Dinner tonight was Greek salad & gyros.

Ann -- Rump roast is wonderful oven roasted. That is my favorite cut for roast beef. (My mom's roast times are posted on here somewhere...I always have to call her when I make roast beef.) I also really like roasted cauliflower. It gets a sweet, nutty flavor. My kids love it. I just toss it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 for about 20 minutes.

What kind of skating? What did you dress up as?

Caili skated so well yesterday. She placed second out of three (they divide the flights by age, so sometimes the flights are small) and we were happy with that considering it was the first time she competed with this program. For those on FB, I didn't video this one. The rink was so cold and I was so nervous, I couldn't hold the camera steady. I decided just to watch the performance instead.

Roller skating - I went as a cow who was dressed as a flapper :laughing:

Glad she did well!

Haven't caught up yet but wanted to let y'all know we made it home safely.:goodvibes

Glad you're home!

I picked up Whataburger on the way home and they left out DH's fries :confused3 I hate when that happens.

Aimee - Were you able to keep track of recipes posted while I was gone? If not, it's OK, I'll get to it tomorrow.

Evening, everyone.

Ann - I'm so sorry that you had to cancel your trip. However, your peace of mind is worth it. It will be just as much fun next year, and the baby will be better able to enjoy things, as well.

Aimee - Cute costumes! I'm glad you had fun at the skating party tonight! Take care of yourself.

Kathy - Welcome home! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Dinner tonight was sloppy joes with potluck sides and desserts. We went to my SIL's house for a "party." Another BIL was in town with one of his sons. They live in Alabama, so we don't get to see them very often. We make it a party whenever they come. It was a fun night.

I made an Asian broccoli slaw, and for dessert a batch of chocolate cherry fudge bars. I'll post the recipes for both tomorrow. I thought they were both yummy!

I'm heading off to get the baby to bed. Talk to you all tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter