The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Yes, he has. He tried the Air Force first before he was diagnosed with diverticulitis and did not get in. He had to have a portion of his intestine removed in May. He has tried all of the branch since being rejected by the Army too. To be honest I am not at all surprised. I just had a gut feeling this was going to be the outcome after they rushed to be married. The were just building to much of their future based on the recruiter's rosey picture he painted. I just hated to see them plan on everything the was not guaranteed yet. It is just to bad it didn't work out because I have seen with my own brother how beneficial the military can be for families.

My dad (retired Air Force) said recruiters are about the biggest snakes and liars there are. Terrible they got their hopes up. :sad2:

Robin A quick FYI our high schools have around 2000 + kids. Yes I typed two thousand. I live in a suburb of Chicago we are very populated around here.

My high school had 3000 when I attended (9, 10, 11, 12 grades). The high schools in the city I am now living in (another part of the DFW metroplex) run 2200 - 2500. It doesn't feel that big when you're there since you're never in the same building as everyone else.

I haven't read back yet but I will------------

Well they say things happen in 3's. Well I lost another dear friend (Evelyn) and her funeral was today. If anyone is keeping track that is 3 funerals in 1 week. I am totally spent. Enough already. We fixed soup and sandwiches with cookies and bars today. We served 123 people and had enough for everyone.

Oh no... 3 in a week. I'm so sorry :hug: I hope you were able to get home okay.

Today is a bittersweet day, as I remember my mom who died one year ago today. I thought I would be a lot sadder, but I've had friends calling me all day to check on me, and to help me remember the fun times with mom. All in all, I'd say it's been a good day to think about her.

My dad is spending this day traveling to Disneyland. He gets to go behind the scenes and see the rehearsals for the new electric parade, and also how they change the planting out. I'm glad that he'll be surrounded by friends at his "happy place" today. I would hate for him to be alone.

Have a great afternoon/evening my friends. Thanks for supporting me through this year! I love you all!!!

Hugs to you and yours today :hug:

Happy Birthday JANICE!!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

When I finally got in from work last night I was one hot mess. I don't get ticked off very easily but I was TICKED. I finally downed some Benadryl and went to sleep because it was eating me alive. All work related, of course.

I have been having bouts of increasing pain, and some other "complications" that indicate more serious flaring, but today I was actually doubled over in the office. I spent the morning in another city with my peer learning group - which took the edge off my "mood" - but then I had to head back to the office :laughing: I know stress is directly linked to my disease, and when I get upset I just internalize it. I don't know how to stop that :confused3 Needless to say, me and Mr Vicodin are friends and I may have to see the GI about going on some evil Prednisone for awhile.

I've also talked for years about doing yoga as a way to calm myself. Anyone done it before?

I came in and curled up in bed for awhile but DH was whining about being hungry so we went out for mexican. I was hungry so I cautiously ate a little bit and we will see how it goes.

I hope I am not coming across as whiny... y'all will tell me, right? I know my issues are so minor compared to others, but I guess my issues do affect "whats for dinner" :laughing:

We are having some serious flash floods here. One of my friend's home is flooded and many more cars are underwater/people trapped. It hasn't stopped raining yet so I'm worried it'll get worse. Thankfully my house is moreless on a hill but others are not.

I had no idea this was going on. :confused3 Some people from my school are going out your way for some professional development and someone mentioned the weather in that area was bad but I had no idea. How are things now?

I think that is the same line of storms we are getting now. I saw a truck with sandbags on it earlier, but the storm broke up some and it's not as bad as they were expecting over here. West of me they had a couple of tornadoes.

Robin A quick FYI our high schools have around 2000 + kids. Yes I typed two thousand. I live in a suburb of Chicago we are very populated around here.

My high school had about 1600 or so. Some of the ones in NYC have 3 or 4 thousand. That is getting excessive.

I haven't read back yet but I will------------

Well they say things happen in 3's. Well I lost another dear friend (Evelyn) and her funeral was today. If anyone is keeping track that is 3 funerals in 1 week. I am totally spent. Enough already. We fixed soup and sandwiches with cookies and bars today. We served 123 people and had enough for everyone.

It is snowing here today. We got 3" of rain yesterday and it started snowing about 5 this morning. Oh Boy, was it a fun drive into work this morning. NOT!! We have probably gotten upwards of 5" of snow. This is the second big snow and it is only October. Wow. . . it is going to be a l o n g winter. Yea!!

If I get home tonight and there is a real possibility I won't - we live north of town and I have dirt roads that are a BIG MESS at the moment. But if I do we are having - Tomato Basil soup and grilled cheese & ham sandwiches. It's that kind of day.

I will BBL

Were you able to get home? I can't believe you've already had snow twice. We are having a cold front push through right now; it's stormy and it's going to be down to the low 70s tomorrow. :laughing:

:hug: I'm sorry you've been going through so much. I cannot imagine three funerals in one week. :hug:

Today is a bittersweet day, as I remember my mom who died one year ago today. I thought I would be a lot sadder, but I've had friends calling me all day to check on me, and to help me remember the fun times with mom. All in all, I'd say it's been a good day to think about her.

My dad is spending this day traveling to Disneyland. He gets to go behind the scenes and see the rehearsals for the new electric parade, and also how they change the planting out. I'm glad that he'll be surrounded by friends at his "happy place" today. I would hate for him to be alone.

Have a great afternoon/evening my friends. Thanks for supporting me through this year! I love you all!!!

:hug: That is a tough anniversary to deal with. I'm glad your dad is doing something fun to distract him.

Bethany, I love the pictures of you on FB with your little fury girl:goodvibes

Thank you. She is quite the little character!

Janice - :bday:party:

I very nearly choked a coworker today. She is telling us how her daughter just tested positive for this influenza type a which is what they are testing for, all the while sticking her face right in our faces. Some people have no concept of personal space but especially now. :sick:

Seriously, how can anyone be that oblivious about this flu. The media is shoving it down throats left and right. I think you should have choked her. :crazy2: (okay, I feel better now...)

Maria, I hope you feel better and are able to get some sleep.

Aimee, you are always pushing yourself so hard, its no wonder you are stressed. Especially when you add the work related issues. You really need to find a way to let it out instead of keeping it inside. :hug:

Dinner was really good. Welby brought over more sauce and joined us for dinner. Actually she got roped into helping me put cobwebs all over. I am trying to see the screen through a massive spider web :scared1: We put more lights out and Buddy got the fog machine working. Last year I could not get it to run without tripping my circuit breakers so I am glad he took care of it.

I am in the weeds for tomorrow but I hope to get everything done. i will ask Marisa to take pictures and post them. I'll stop in tomorrow morning!

That sounds like quite a display. I put my daughter in charge of our decorations, its not much but it looks good.

Aimee, your not whining. Your body has been going through he**. Maybe it's time for a round of prednisone. I know the drug is terrible but you have gone through so much.

Ellen, please let us know you are home.

Bethany, sandbags? Be careful in the morning.

Nancy & Marisa we're expecting photos of the Halloween extravaganza!!!!! Especially Buddy as the pinata holder:rotfl:

Janice when will you be smacking your co-worker???? Terrible......

Thanks ladies for the get wells!

I hope I am not coming across as whiny... y'all will tell me, right? I know my issues are so minor compared to others, but I guess my issues do affect "whats for dinner" :laughing:

That doesn't sound minor. That sounds downright miserable. :hug:

Bethany, sandbags? Be careful in the morning.

I will. I left work at the same time as my friend; she was a few cars in front of me and she saw the truck too. I called her when I got home and she said she was waiting for my call because she knew I was going to ask her about them. :rotfl2: She says they do that in the neighborhood where I work every time they are expecting a hard rain as a precautionary measure.

The line of storms broke up though; it really didn't rain much at all over here! :yay:

When I finally got in from work last night I was one hot mess. I don't get ticked off very easily but I was TICKED. I finally downed some Benadryl and went to sleep because it was eating me alive. All work related, of course.

I have been having bouts of increasing pain, and some other "complications" that indicate more serious flaring, but today I was actually doubled over in the office. I spent the morning in another city with my peer learning group - which took the edge off my "mood" - but then I had to head back to the office :laughing: I know stress is directly linked to my disease, and when I get upset I just internalize it. I don't know how to stop that :confused3 Needless to say, me and Mr Vicodin are friends and I may have to see the GI about going on some evil Prednisone for awhile.

I've also talked for years about doing yoga as a way to calm myself. Anyone done it before?

I came in and curled up in bed for awhile but DH was whining about being hungry so we went out for mexican. I was hungry so I cautiously ate a little bit and we will see how it goes.

You are not coming across as whiny! We worry about you! You have an intensely stressful job, and you really need to find a way to do your job without hurting yourself!

I think yoga would be great for you! I've never tried it, but my niece does it every day, and she is one of the least stressed out people I know. Maybe I should take it up, as well!

Good luck, and know that I'm praying for you!

I think that Ellen is getting ready to share the snow with me! I just heard our weather forecast for the weekend, and it's going to get progressively colder until it begins to snow Sunday night. By Monday morning, we should have quite a bit on the ground. So much for Indian summer! Here comes winter! I was really hoping the kids could trick or treat on dry ground, but it looks like it will be a snowy Halloween for us!

Just found out that Alan and I are going out with our good friends tomorrow night. We are going to Zupa's Cafe and then we'll see what we're in the mood for after dinner. It should be fun!

Saturday we are going to spend the day with Alan's best friend from high school and his family. We are going to Hill Air Force Base where there is a museum of aircraft, and then we'll go apple picking and to a pumpkin patch. Should be quite the day!

If I'm not on much this weekend, know that I'm thinking about y'all and hoping you are ok!

Aimee I too internalize my problems. I've never been able to overcome this. That said I have done Yoga before and really liked it. If you can find a buddy you are more likely to stick with it. Remember while Yoga is gentle movements you can get hurt. There are many different forms of Yoga also.

Glynis I think the first few anniversarys of a loved ones death is the hardest. I hope you are coping well. :hug: Like I've said before I purposely put my Dad's and Stepmom's date out of my head. I know the time of year but not the exact date. I don't want to plan to be sad if you can understand what I am trying to say.

I should be going to spend another fun filled day of germs with that coworker. She is just so clueless in so many ways I could write a book. I will practice extreme patience I promise.:angel:

Be back later.:thumbsup2

Just checking in before heading out for the day. Picking up my DM at 10am to go to a Stop & Shop grand opening near us. Not looking forward to the crowds, but she wants to go. Hoping ot get a couple of good deals for the aggrevation!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Nancy, enjoy the party!

:cool1:TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I cam home last night to find the only fresh vegetables I had in the house were a whole red cabbage (?) and 2 scallions. I had leftover rice from the prior evening's shrimp, so dinner was chicken fried rice:

4035537637_7ba84bca35.jpg

I need to have a salad for lunch! :laughing:

Checking in on our snow and rain harassed friends. I have been following the rain in the South but Holy Moly! Ladies be careful!

Aimee- You are not whining. I worry about you, I know you love your job but it does not love you. I internalize stress but I do not have such a stressful job. One of the things we learn in WW is that it is important to care your yourself, I wish hat you would put yourself a little higher on the list of people who you are taking care of. I really worry that these painful episodes you are having are doing some kind of permanent damage to your body. I admit that I do not understand how the disease impacts your body but I do know that you are having more and more pain. Please slow down.

Zipuzee-You beat me to it...CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janice- I understand how you cope. :hug:

Ann- Have fun!

Maria- how are you feeling today?

Well I am on a roll so far today. I'll stop back with a progress report.

I'm sorry I didn't get back here yesterday, so I missed a few things.

First of all, Happy belated birthday Janice! I hope you had a nice night. Some people are so clueless.

Glynis -- I'm glad you were able to focus on your happy memories to get you through yesterday. That is wonderful that Katie has decided to continue with the violin. Have a good weekend!

Aimee -- You are not whining. I don't know how you cope with the health issues and the demands of your job. I have not done yoga, but some of my neighbors swear by it. If you can find someplace that offers drop-in classes, you could try it a couple of times without committing to a full session.

I can't imagine not being able to get seafood year round. Enjoy it while you can. Is the costume for skating?

I can get seafood year-round, but my favorite market is seasonal. Since they're closing soon, I figured I should get their fried clams for dinner last night. ;)

The bird costume is for Halloween. I was working on a skating costume a couple weeks ago, but that is completed now. Good thing because Caili has a competition tomorrow morning!

Ellen -- I am so sorry for the loss of another friend. This has been a horrible week for you.

Maria -- I hope you are feeling better today.

Marilyn -- It sounds like you have a good plan. I really need to be more organized.

Ann -- Congratulations to your nephew!

Nancy -- Good luck with the party! What is Kady dressing up as this year?

Now I'm not sure what is for dinner. I was supposed to have pizza with my neighbor, but she just called to say her daughter is sick. We have had enough sickness, so we are steering clear! I might make broccoli soup.

Glynis, it sounds like you have a really fun weekend planned! Enjoy!

Ann - Congrats to your nephew and his wife! Have fun, I guess at the store opening. Is that a grocery store?

I can get seafood year-round, but my favorite market is seasonal. Since they're closing soon, I figured I should get their fried clams for dinner last night. ;)

I like fried clams but haven't had them is quite some time. Its not something thats served down here. I think the last time I had them was at a Hooters! I agree, you have had enough sickness, so stay away from the neighbor! Good Luck to Caili tomorrow.

Becky - is that bacon in the fried rice? We haven't tried that ingredient before in ours. Thanks for the Shrimp recipe. That will be dinner either Saturday or Sunday!

We host our Friday night group tonight. The headcount is 12 for this evening and we'll be having salad, jambalaya, broccoli casserole, garlic bread and chocolate pudding poke cake for dessert.

We didn't get rain as badly as we expected yesterday evening and this morning the front made it thru so its nice and cool outside. Our highs this weekend will be in the low to mid 70's so it should be a great weekend. Bob and I have been trying for several weeks to go out for breakfast to this little german bakery/restaurant. They make the most delicious pastries and we've been wanting to go there to eat for some time. So that's what we'll do tomorrow morning. The rest of the weekend will revolve around football games!

First off - I am so sorry I missed your birthday Janice. I so hope you had a wonderful day my dear friend. You so deserved it. Happy Birthday!! Thanks for the pop corn recipes they are getting made tonight. The family will love them on the road tomorrow.

Marilyn ~ congratulations on the great finish for you neice. That is so cool. Have you posted your pumpkin pancake recipe? I'd love to try them.

Aimee ~ I do Yoga every week. I LOVE it!! It is probablty the best thing I do for me every week. I also get regular massages, every month. That is also something that really helps with stress. I carry all of mine in my shoulders and a massage so helps this. Try it - young lady you need to take care of you once in awhile. And don't think for one minute that you are whining - we are all friends and that is what friends are for.

Robin ~ Thanks so much for the crockpot Chicken recipe. That is something I can do and sounds so good. Thanks!

Becky ~ :rotfl2: I love your caddy story. My old one was a Deville and it was larger, but my new one is a CST which is much smaller. Plus the fact that there is seat adjustments. Doug is 6' and I am only 5'4" so we each have our own seat number. It really is nice where all I have to do is push #1 and it automatically adjusts to my specific settings. The seat also raises up so yes even I can see over the steering wheel. I really do love it. :love:
Thanks so much for the Caramel Shrimp recipe - I can't wait to try it.

Glynis ~ :hug:'s to you my friend. I lost my dear Momma just 4 years ago and her date is always a hard day. I am so thankful you have some great friends to be around today. Yea for Katie!! I am so glad she had fun.

Maria ~ Thanks so much for our fun Halloween icons. You even made it stupid proof for me. Your directions were spot on. Thanks again. I hope you are feeling better this morning. Prayers are with you. And yes CD's and DVD's are always welcome. They really enjoy them. Thanks for asking.

Nancy ~ I am so thankful for the good news about Buddy. Prayers are still coming. :hug::hug: also.

Thanks everybody for the good thoughts. I did make it home. I really debated about staying in town but home just sounded way to good. It was a mess but as long as I stayed in the tracks I was fine. I have no idea what would have happened if I would have met a car. Thank goodness I didn't. :scared1:

The sun is shining today - can you believe it?! It is true about Nebraska - if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes, because it WILL change. We are going into Lincoln tomorrow for the game and it is supposed to be 65. Go figure!!

WFDT ~ Meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, cheesy green beans and apple chrisp. Real comfort food - just what we need.

I will be gone until Monday so you all play nice and I will eat a hot dog and a Runza for you. Make it a great day my friends.

Nan & Marisa have a great party!!!!

Ellen, so glad your home safely. Hmmm, what's a Runza?

Laura, Good Luck to Caili tomorrow morning! Did you post pictures of the bird costume?

Janice, if you go in wearing a surgical mask do you think she would finally get it?

Marilyn, your a great Aunt!!!!! Please post your pancake recipe.

Aimee, did you call your doctor? Hope your ok today.

Ann, your a brave woman. You wouldn't catch me at a grocery store opening:eek:

Becky, did you decide where your going with your airline tickets you won? Did you ever stay at 9 Beaches in Bermuda? It really has caught my attention.

BBL

Marilyn ~ congratulations on the great finish for you neice. That is so cool. Have you posted your pumpkin pancake recipe? I'd love to try them.

Thanks. Her coach now wants her to swim a 500 meter race. :eek:

I am using a mix for the pancakes, I got it from Trader Joe's. :thumbsup2

Didn't have them last night, my DM wanted KFC and since this was the third time she has asked this week I figured I better say yes. :sad2: For some reason lately when she wants something like that, rather then just going and getting it for herself, she calls me to see if I want it and if I say no she acts all hurt and won't go. :headache:

Maria ~ Runzas are delicious. They (the chain) were started in Nebraska and now have branched out to surrounding states. My Grandma was from old Germany and as a kid (before the Runza chain started) we called them cabbage bread. I have my grandma's actual recipe if you would be interested I will post it for you. Anyway Runzas are a mixture of cabbage, onions, hamburger and spices cooked down and put in bread dough and baked. They are amazing and oh so good.

Maria ~ Runzas are delicious. They (the chain) were started in Nebraska and now have branched out to surrounding states. My Grandma was from old Germany and as a kid (before the Runza chain started) we called them cabbage bread. I have my grandma's actual recipe if you would be interested I will post it for you. Anyway Runzas are a mixture of cabbage, onions, hamburger and spices cooked down and put in bread dough and baked. They are amazing and oh so good.

I would love it!!! Thanks Ellen:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter