The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

I have GREAT news!!! They are going to let her out of here sometime today!!!!:hippie::lmao::worship::yay: (alexis chose the smilies)

I missed this earlier - I'm sorry. I am so so so excited she'll be home to recover the rest of the way. :hug:

All is well, Johnny misunderstood how he was supposed to be taking the two meds together and that is probably causing the fluctuation in his bp daily. We'll be monitoring it daily and he has to go back on friday.

Glad it's easy as that!

This is the current info I have:

Sun., 10/18

12:00 - Wine seminar - Schweiger Vineyards - Sheryl & Bob
Cruising F&W booths - Kathy & Johnny, Lauren, Maria & Greg, Charlene, Sheryl & Bob, Gretchen, Stephanie
5:00 Cocktails at BLT - Kathy & Johnny, Lauren, Maria & Greg, Charlene, Sheryl & Bob, Gretchen, Stephanie
6:00 Dinner at California Grill - Kathy & Johnny, Stephanie, Lauren, Maria & Greg, Charlene, Vicki + 2, Sheryl & Bob, Gretchen, Kenny & Paige.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the cocktails at BLT, I need to check with Gretchen on that. If Gretchen doesn't post before you leave I'll text you.

The boy is fine in dress shorts!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo jeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, as for the chili we had for dinner tonight--YUMMO! So different than "regular" chili. It's from Cooking Light back in Nov 2007, but I just ran across it the other day

Beef, Black Bean, and Chorizo Chili

That sounds delish! What is masa harina? :confused3

Is the cocoa taste strong? I made a chili that was heavy on the chocolate taste and it did not go over well.

Matthew told us 3 weeks ago that he is in the top 20 of his Division in the Nation in Golf. Golf is his life - and is on the golf team at the University. He has shot some really good numbers this year so far. He actually just called and is on his way home and his golf coach is picking him up at 7 in the morning as they have a tournament in Beatrice. So he will be able to sleep in his own bed tonight. Anyway, please send a few good thought his way that he shoots some good numbers tomorrow and Friday. If he continues and stays in the top 20 we will be heading to Virginia for the National Tournament the last week in October - hence the no WDW for me. Oh girls please cross what you can as this would be such a good thing for my boy. Thanks so much.

:yay: Of course all limbs are crossed! That's fantastic!

I meant to thank y'all for offering thoughts on ME. I'm nervous about bags getting way delayed but DH is traveling with his golf clubs and I'd rather then deal with them if they will :laughing: Think we'll give it a try this time!

Matthew told us 3 weeks ago that he is in the top 20 of his Division in the Nation in Golf. Golf is his life - and is on the golf team at the University. He has shot some really good numbers this year so far. He actually just called and is on his way home and his golf coach is picking him up at 7 in the morning as they have a tournament in Beatrice. So he will be able to sleep in his own bed tonight. Anyway, please send a few good thought his way that he shoots some good numbers tomorrow and Friday. If he continues and stays in the top 20 we will be heading to Virginia for the National Tournament the last week in October - hence the no WDW for me. Oh girls please cross what you can as this would be such a good thing for my boy. Thanks so much.

Ellen just WOW!!!!!!! Prayers for Matthew, you must be so proud of him!

Lauren, a beer hanging out is Disney sounds like a really good thing right now!

Right now I'm actually cooking, I have to 2 chickens that I'm making stew with. I realized I had to use them or dump them so they are cooking away.

... DH just called people made him drive all the way there because the machine was not plugged in. MORONS!!!

:sad2: What idiots!

Hope its not a cold sweetie,spicy shrimp and a hot toddy for youse.

I wish it was the shrimp too but unfortunately it's not. I did try to burn it out again at dinner tonight, :rotfl: had some really spicy soup at the Olive Garden. Got some zinc and throat lozenges and will be drinking lots of tea and soup. :thumbsup2

I will check in some time tomorrow before we leave.

Night night lassies x

If I don't see you before you leave have a great time! :hug:

So last night I made this shrimp dish. It's "real" name was Lemon Shrimp with Basil Mayonaise but the mayo just wasn't appealing so I renamed it Lemon Pepper Shrimp. Emphasis on the PEPPER! :eek: I halved the recipe but didn't bother to measure the red pepper flakes. :rolleyes1

I was supposed to broil them but didn't feel like waiting for the oven to heat so I just threw them in a saute pan. Smelled pretty good, that is until I poured them out onto the plate and got a good whiff of cooked red pepper flakes. :scared1: That pepper hit the back of mouth and sinus' and "Oh my Stars" :rotfl:

Ellen--crossing all fingers and toes!!! How exciting!

Aimee--I couldn't taste the chocolate at all. And the masa harina is a corn flour used to make tortillas. I found it in our latino food aisle.

Forgot to tell you all. I am not a wine drinker, give me a good Margarita. My BFF, her son and I went out to dinner at Olive Garden and they were offering a taste of this wine. It was really good, we both got a glass of it. It's called Castello del Poggio Moscato and is a white sparkling wine.

We got the all you can eat soup, salad and bread sticks. I had the Chicken and Gnocci and the Zuppa something or other, that was the spicy one. They were both pretty good although the Zuppa had unpeeled potato in it and the peel was no longer on the potato.

Hey lassies....

I think I got about 4 hours sleep,dont know If youse noticed but Im a wee bit excited !!
This will be my last post till after hols.

We travel to the airport hotel tonight and fly tomorrow 11.15 our time,9.5 hrs ,so with time diff we land about 3.30/3.45.

Fingers crossed for pain free flight.

Two weeks is a long time here so please look after yourselves and each other.

Know that I will sendin good vibes to youse all...and as they are not havin to go " ower the water " youse will get them quicker so good times.

F & W lassies,see youse soon,and I would vote for the poly but Im easy.

Safe jouneys for youse all.

Love youse Vicks xx

Oh forgot ,

I had packed all the cases on tuesday but the boy insisted he was big enough to pack his own hand luggage.

he has a cool camoflage bag he used for sleep over but he came down stairs with his mini Mickey suit case he has taken every year since he was 2.

No matter how grown up and cool my boy thinks he is I Love he still " gets the magic "...:love:

Ladies, forgive me if I miss anyone, I am a little :confused3 today.

Sheryl- I am thrilled that Alexis is home. For such a little girl she really is a Tiger, isn't she!

Kat- Thank goodness it was a medication mixup! Not that that is a good thing but it is fixable.

Ellen- :yay::yay: for Mathew! I am happy to say a few prayers for him, they are happy ones!

Ann- :headache: plus...outlets....they go together, don't they?

Marilyn- I have to remember that little measure thing too :lmao: Some folks say it is important ;)

Aimee- ME will make you travel so much easier.

I need to think about dinner, I got sidetracked yesterday. I think I am going to have my soup again. I have been eating like there is no tomorrow and my jeans are feeling the pinch.

I need to make an appointment with the neurologist this morning, his office was closed yesterday when I called. I also need to find out if the Dr was able to get that MRI approved. She said that she wants it as soon as possible. If Buddy went to the hospital he could get it sooner but I think we are going to see if the Dr has any luck before that. I also want to talk to her about his vision. The eye Dr said that the pigment in his eye was the same yet he is experiencing loss. I wonder if this stenosis thing has anything to do with that. The Dr told me that if the pain is worse or if he has any loss of motor function he is to go straight to the ER. She led me to believe that she would have been more comfortable if he went last night.

I am going to talk to Gail as soon as she gets out of work. I also need to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers for my Buddy. I cannot tell you how odd most folks would find my turning to a message board for support but I cannot imagine not having you all to lean on. I am not going to put my fears on Buddy so I am afraid I am planning on dumping them all on you :sad1: :grouphug:

Maria – I agree with everyone, the Poly sounds good to me. Do you have time to coordinate this and get the word out if we find out we can’t do BLT?:goodvibes

Ellen – Y’all must be so proud of Matthew, I sure am. Sending good thoughts and prayers his way. Good Luck Matthew!!!!!:cheer2:

Aimee – I’m sorry, I missed your post on ME, not sure where my head has been lately. We’ve done ME the last 3 trips and haven’t had any issues except having to leave so darn early to get to MCO for trip home.

Marilyn – Hope you’re feeling better today.:goodvibes

Vick – Your boy and his Mickey suitcase is too cute. Can’t wait to meet you! Wishing you a pain-free flight.:hug:

Ann – Thank you so much for the tips on blood pressure control, any advice we can get is appreciated.:hug:

Nan – Continued prayers for Buddy, please keep us posted. You're not dumping on us, it's called support and love my friend.:hug:

Sheryl - How is Alexis feeling this morning?

WFD - Creole steak in the crockpot, rice pilaf and roasted brussel sprouts.

Nancy, we are all here for you. Lots of broad shoulders here to support you. Sending tons of positive thoughts and prayers.

Sheryl, so glad Alexis was heading home. :cool1: Hiw did she make out last night??

Aimee, I missed reading about your planned trip too!!:banana:

Ellen, you have every right to be proud of your boy! I wish him well...:rotfl: FOUR!! Those of us left behind during F&W will be looking for updates on Matthewws progess please keep us updated.

Maria & Lauren, have a Lapu-Lapu or a Back Scratcher and think of me. DH is jealous Tambu lounge is his favorite spot.

Lauren, am I totally missing you now with my new travel dates ???? They are 11/9-11/16. Let me know.

Kathy, rest, rest, rest!!!! How is Johnny???

Stephanie, I agree about the back scratcher:thumbsup2.

Vicki, thinking of you and your sweet boy traveling now with his MM suitcase in tow.

Marilyn, your pepper flake story has me chuckling!!!:lmao:

Glynis, I forgot to ask for the grapenut pudding recipe. I will try to remember tomorrow. Mom loves sharing recipes.

-------------

Off to get a homemade cranberry scone DM sent home with me and more coffee.

I am defrosting a whole chicken for dinner...tihking either BBQ or beer can chicken not sure yet. Sides still yet to be determined.

Kathy--is the recipe for the creole steak posted? Sounds yummy!

And as for the poly--is there a way we could send out a group txt or something like that? Should we get a list of cell numbers just in case? I know I"ll be coming over from either a park or the hotel. Not sure what my plans are for Sunday yet; except CG!

Morning all. Dinner last night was leftovers; tonight will probably be something out of the freezer. I had to take my car into the shop yesterday afternoon because the check engine light came on. I'm hoping its something minor and they have it fixed today; carpooling with DH is difficult because we work different hours. So he had to go in a little late, while I had to be at work early, then this evening he'll have to wait for a few hours for me because we are short-handed this week and I can't leave early. So, we won't get home until 6:30 or so. And to add insult to injury, my commute just got messed up due to construction and that will probably tack some more time to the ride home!!:headache:

Nancy - dump away. Glad to be a part of the support network. Hugs and prayers continuing.

Ellen - that's great news about Matthew. Congrats to him and I'lle be saying prayers and crossing fingers that he does well!

Forgot to tell you all. I am not a wine drinker, give me a good Margarita. My BFF, her son and I went out to dinner at Olive Garden and they were offering a taste of this wine. It was really good, we both got a glass of it. It's called Castello del Poggio Moscato and is a white sparkling wine.

We got the all you can eat soup, salad and bread sticks. I had the Chicken and Gnocci and the Zuppa something or other, that was the spicy one. They were both pretty good although the Zuppa had unpeeled potato in it and the peel was no longer on the potato.

:rotfl::rotfl: I've have to look for that wine and give it a try.

Hope today is better for everyone. :flower3:

Nancy, I do hope that it is nothing. Hopefully Buddy can get in very soon and find out what is going on. Keep us posted.

Sheryl, great news about Alexis! I am glad she is going to be able to go home.

Ellen, good thoughts for Matthew.

Ann, I am sorry your husband was called away. I suppose now is not the time to admit that when we moved in to our current house we could not figure out why our (gas) heat went off one night and we had to call the gas man in the middle of the night...yup, we did not notice that the GIANT RED switch on the wall that controls the burner had been switched to "off!" We'd never had gas heat before and did not know to look. :rolleyes1

Here is a picture of the Singapore style noodles from Cooking Light that I made last night. I did make some changes to the recipe. It was really tasty.

3992878746_ebed176f55.jpg

Good morning everyone!

Nancy - I have you and Buddy in my prayers dear. Please call me if I can help in any way, even if you just need someone to be frightened with. :hug:

Ellen - That's wonderful news! Prayers and good wishes for him.

Marilyn - Sorry you're sick. Hope it goes away quickly.

Girls the Poly sounds fine with me. Honestly, I just want to get together for drinks. The location doesn't matter to me at all.

Today is Hailey's birthday and the poor girl gets to celebrate with a visit to my OB/GYN. It was the only time he could work her in and he is hoping to give her something that may keep her monthly visitor away or at least minimize it as much as possible. Then, because being a grown up girl seems to be the theme of the day, I am taking her to be measured for her first big girl bra. The little girl training ones just aren't going to cut it for much longer.

Sigh. I guess my baby isn't a baby any longer.

Dinner will be leftovers for my family and probably a bottle of wine for me. I figure I'll need it after today.

Buddy has an appointment for Friday the 10th. It is a four hour test so this was the first 4 hr block available. My BIL is an ER Doc and the neurologist that Buddy is referred to is a friend of his. He is going to call and make the appointment for me for the following week. Gail and Mike have made me feel better about what is happening. They said that the compression is way more likely than cancer so I should relax. I am going to follow that advice :thumbsup2. I have Nola for a few hours today while hr Mom goes to the Dr so I am looking forward to those big kisses and watching her toddle around. In the meantime I am washing windows. Still no dinner planned.

Ladies, forgive me if I miss anyone, I am a little :confused3 today.

I need to make an appointment with the neurologist this morning, his office was closed yesterday when I called. I also need to find out if the Dr was able to get that MRI approved. She said that she wants it as soon as possible. If Buddy went to the hospital he could get it sooner but I think we are going to see if the Dr has any luck before that. I also want to talk to her about his vision. The eye Dr said that the pigment in his eye was the same yet he is experiencing loss. I wonder if this stenosis thing has anything to do with that. The Dr told me that if the pain is worse or if he has any loss of motor function he is to go straight to the ER. She led me to believe that she would have been more comfortable if he went last night.

I am going to talk to Gail as soon as she gets out of work. I also need to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers for my Buddy. I cannot tell you how odd most folks would find my turning to a message board for support but I cannot imagine not having you all to lean on. I am not going to put my fears on Buddy so I am afraid I am planning on dumping them all on you :sad1: :grouphug:

Lean away, my friend! You have been there for me through all my scary times, and I'm happy to return the favor! Buddy has been in my prayers and will continue to be so. I also put his name in our prayer circle. I hope that's ok with you.

I think it's amazing that we've been able to find each other through the DIS. I count you all as family, and family is who I go to first when things get tough. We may not have "officially" met, but still you are all part of my heart!

I cannot tell you how odd most folks would find my turning to a message board for support but I cannot imagine not having you all to lean on. I am not going to put my fears on Buddy so I am afraid I am planning on dumping them all on you :sad1: :grouphug:

You dump all you want my dear friend. That is what we are here for. Many prayers are being said for Buddy. Please keep us posted. I am sending you a PM so look for it.

Gretchen ~ Happy Birthday to Hailey. What a big girl she is becoming. But remember Mom she will always be "your Little girl" no matter how old she is.

Sheryl ~ how is our girls this morning?

Marilyn ~ feel better!

Zip ~ hope the car is fixed and the price is right.

Thanks for all of the good wishes for Matthew. He is on his way and he has promised to text me today with updates on his scores. I'll let you know. Thanks so much!!

WFDT ~ total tailgate food tonight. We are going out with some friends and then home to watch the "BIG" game. We play Missouri tonight.

GO BIG RED!!!

Make it a great day everyone. I'll BBL

Ann - Johnny is just fine, thanks for asking.:hug:

Steph - The creole steak was posted a while back but it wasn't a crockpot recipe, I'm trying it out for the first time in the crock. If it's good I'll re-post it. If someone else could do a group text that would be great, it takes me 15 minutes to send one.:sad2:

Lauri - I hate being without my car, hoping you get yours back soon.

Gretchen - Hope your little girl (she'll always be your baby) has a wonderful day!!! Give her a hug for me please!!! Enjoy your wine...;)

Nancy - Glad Gail & Mike were able to ease your mind, praying they are right.

Nancy- Keeping you in my thoughts, I'm sure Nola will provide a great distraction.

Kathy- Glad Johnny's doing well, those guys sure are good at giving us scares.

Ellen- Good luck to Matthew, he must be having a great time. I'm personally a fan of mini golf.

Gretchen- Better to get it all done in one day instead of two, either way you'll be at Disney soon.

Becky- The noodles look really good, I'm going to check out the recipe, I just scanned when the magazine came home.

Zipuzee- Usually the problem with my check engine light IS the check engine light. Sometimes I think we have to much information.

Ann- I had the best cranberry scone at work a couple of weeks ago and it's taking a lot of willpower not to go to the bakery it came from. I'm the only one who would eat them here so I don't dare make a whole batch.

Marilynn- I wonder how many different ways I've spelled your name, sorry. Anyway, I didn't really care for the gnocchi soup but I love the Zuppa one. I make a copycat recipe of it quite often. It was the only reason I went to Olive Garden, now I just make a big batch at home.

I have some work to get done, see you all later. Oh, leftovers for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter