The we loooooove Bonnet Creek thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really appreciated all that I learned from this board, and would like to pay it forward. So, without further ado, our trip report:

We stayed for the first two weeks in May. First, transportation: We rented a minivan, and checked the rates regularly for 3-4 months out from our trip. We ended up going with Alamo, which was $50 more than Dollar (about $476 total for two weeks--a rate we were really pleased with), but if you sign up for their frequent renter program (Alamo Insider), you get a second driver for free. The other great thing is you don't have to stand at the rental counter--you can check in online, then walk right to the type of car you rented, and pick out which one you want. We got a brand new Grand Caravan with leather interior. It was worth every penny to be able to not only drive to the parks, but also to Walmart, Target, etc. for groceries and supplies. In my opinion, the convenience and the money you save on groceries more than makes up for the cost of a rental car, and I highly recommend renting. It takes only 5-10 minutes to drive to the Disney parks, and it was awesome to come and go when we felt like it.

Now, the resort: We rented from Vacation Strategy. They had to string together 3 reservations to make it work, but they gave us a great rate, and we got a 2 bedroom Presidential for the about the same price as some others quoted us for a Deluxe. We ended up in Building 6, on the 17th floor. We LOVED the building. We were facing Downtown Disney/parking lot/woods. However, because we were so high, it was like we were really facing a forest, and we had a nice view of fireworks that seemed to come from Downtown Disney. We also had easy access to the 17th floor lounge and Epcot fireworks.

The suite itself was fantastic--immaculately clean, plenty of linens, plenty of laundry soap and shampoos, paper towels, coffee, trash bags, etc. We never saw a bug while we were there. Plus, when we got housekeeping halfway through, they brought fresh supplies of all of the above, which we really appreciated. There were plenty of dishes, silverware, etc.--maybe service for 10?--and a set of plastic cups, which we appreciated having for the kids. There was a nice coffee maker, and for our UK friends, it had a tea making function, as well. There's no kettle, but you can make do with the tea side of the coffee maker! There was a 4 slice toaster, all stainless appliances, a blender, fridge with ice maker, granite countertops, etc. We also had a huge balcony, although we didn't really use it, because we were traveling with little kids.

The furniture is nice enough, although not my taste. We had a comfy couch, a wicker loveseat, and a chair in the living room, with a large flat screen tv and a Bose DVD player and sound system. Both bedrooms had flat screens, as well. The bedrooms were also nicely furnished, with comfy beds. We had two queen beds in the guest room and one king in the master bedroom. There were large dressers in both bedrooms, and closets with plenty of hangers. Really, we didn't want for anything. These condo's are well stocked.

The bathrooms were both large. One of the nice features was that the guest bathroom had a vanity inside the bathroom, and a second one outside. Since we had two adult guests sharing that bathroom, it was helpful that one could use the bathroom while the other was getting ready using the second vanity outside the bathroom. The master bath featured the jacuzzi tub (which smelled weird when the jets were used--maybe our only complaint!), a separate shower, a toilet in its own compartment, and a double vanity. It was frankly enormous! One thing I didn't like was that the master bath is open to the master bedroom, but it's a minor complaint.

We had a full size washer and dryer in a closet outside the guest bedroom. We did approximately a million loads of laundry, and it was a godsend to have the machines. I can't imagine a two week vacation with kids in a couple of hotel rooms, with no laundry! It was so convenient. They left us with a huge stash of laundry detergent, too. Not by preferred brand, by helpful nonetheless.

So, that's a basic description of what we got. But what's it really like? I know a lot of people debate staying off property or on. We've stayed at Old Key West and Port Orleans in the past, and we worried about whether it would be as "magical" staying off property. My husband loves being on property, taking the shuttles, etc. We agreed that Bonnet Creek is AWESOME, and we'd stay at it again over a Disney resort.

First, let me say that one of the things you DON'T get is Disney hospitality. The person that checked us in was incredibly helpful and friendly, but he was the last person to be nice our entire stay. We found the WBC staff to be unfriendly at best and surly at worst. That, we didn't like. If I was an owner, I would have been furious at how they behaved. But, we aren't, and it was something we were willing to sacrifice. Because, we had SO much space. The pools are AWESOME. There are a million activities. There's a pretty good playground, with a rubberized surface, a nice walking path around the lake (I think it's about 1/2 mile around), a basic mini-golf course, a really great sprayground/splashground for little kids with a rubberized surface (really fantastic for the toddler set), two lazy rivers, and various zero entry pools. Each day there were arts and crafts and make your own sundaes for minimal cost. One day a week there was a bouncy house and bouncy sports (inflatable thingy with ability to play basketball, soccer, baseball, etc., is the only way I can describe it). They had an alligator show one night, which we never made it to, trivia nights, etc. In other words, plenty to keep you and your kids busy. All of these things, in our minds, more than made up for the fact we were off property, and the fact that the staff as a whole stinks.

The pools: We think the better lazy river is by building 5. It has nicer landscaping. We preferred the pirate pool by building 6 to all of the others, even though our kids were too small to be able to use the slide. It's nice and big and has two zero entry areas. But, your mileage may vary. Try them all if you go! It's part of the fun. If you have really little kids, you might prefer to be in building 1, near the splash ground. It's a bit of a hike from Building 6, but was our youngest's favorite spot (she's 2). Plus, I could relax a bit there, since it's fenced in, rubber surfaced, and designed for the little ones.

There are hot tubs by every building, and they were the perfect temperature while we were there--not too hot, despite the warm weather. There are gas grills near each building, too, and it was easy to find space to grill. Plus, it was a nice way to meet people, while you were cooking.

For those who want to check in with groceries or check out early and do the pool/grill thing on check out day, note that they have refrigerated storage. You just have to ask at the desk. On our last day, they kept our lunch cold for us, which was so convenient. There are also shower facilities available in some of the buildings (definitely in building 1--I checked), although I couldn't find them in Building 6. So, if you want to shower on your last day post swim and post checkout, that's an option.

We received maybe 3 phone calls while we were there, but never answered the phone. No one mentioned the parking pass, and we never picked it up--no problems. No one ever mentioned a time share presentation to us.

Because we had 3 reservations, we were told we would have to rekey twice, but we only had to do it once. There was no line to do it, and it took like 2 seconds. It was no big deal.

I had some things mailed to me at the resort from Amazon. I had to walk to Building 1 to pick them up, but it was not a big deal. They had them waiting for me. The address is the main one on the little brochure they give you with your keys.

As for parking, we found that if we returned in the afternoon for nap/swim, or early evening, there was no problem finding a spot outside the building. If we got home around 8, we'd have to park in the garage which is by buildings 4/5, but honestly, it was no big deal--it's like a two minute walk from building 6. If you are super out of shape and don't ever get any exercise, maybe it will bother you, but then, if that's the case, Disney is going to kick your butt anyway!!!

There is a Disney cast member in building 1, if you don't come with tickets. We didn't use that person, as we'd bought tickets before we came. We also got the Magic Bands and booked our fast passes in advance. We rode every ride and did every experience (including the Anna and Elsa meet and greet, which had daily waits of 300 minutes!!!) with no wait at all, by taking advantage of fast pass + and by being in the park at opening in the mornings. Then, we came home for lunch/nap/swim most days, and headed back to the parks late afternoon. The bottom line for us is that it couldn't have been a more magical stay, even though we were off property. In fact, it was special because we were off property at Bonnet Creek. It really is that good, and I can highly recommend it.

And in case you are wondering about my family and I and trying to put this review into perspective. . .we are Americans who live outside the U.S., and regularly travel the world for work and play. We have traveled extensively, and we have pretty high standards. While the decor wasn't quite to our taste, and the staff leaves much to be desired, Bonnet Creek is otherwise a very high quality resort. You won't be disappointed.

If you have other questions, I'm happy to answer them.

My family is checking in on Saturday and this is exactly the trip report I wanted to see when I logged on today. Thank you so much for your feedback and I am so glad you enjoyed your trip.

How do you know your room number already? Confused!

I think there's some confusion. I am an owner, and call Wyndham directly to book. I have always understood that presidential suites are assigned by Wyndham at the time if booking because they are limited. Whenever booking a presidential, I have always received a room number at the time if booking, and have never been moved. I have 2 rooms coming up in July, both are presidentials, and I have room numbers on both.

I think people that don't have room numbers have been booking through a third party.

Also, for the record, I only own 168,000 points bi-annually at WBC, and certainly not enough on its own for a 3BR presidential for a week. I own points at other Wyndham locations that make up the balance, and then some.

Joe

JoeU - you just have good connections as I am a Wyndham owner and have a two bedroom presidential reserved for September that I rented last November and I still do not have room number. I know it will be in building 6 but do not have room numbers.

JoeU - you just have good connections as I am a Wyndham owner and have a two bedroom presidential reserved for September that I rented last November and I still do not have room number. I know it will be in building 6 but do not have room numbers.

I'd call reservations and flat out ask them which room number in building 6 you have. They should be able to readily tell you.

As for everyone else, still hoping for room and balcony photos for room 1501 in Building 6. :)

Joe

I am an owner, and call Wyndham directly to book. I have always understood that presidential suites are assigned by Wyndham at the time if booking because they are limited.
you just have good connections as I am a Wyndham owner and have a two bedroom presidential reserved for September that I rented last November and I still do not have room number.
The ability to reserve a specific unit is a perk afforded only to VIP owners at the Gold level and above, and only at Wyndham-managed locations in the system. I'm not sure whether or not this perk applies if the owner is not traveling---in other words, if the owner gets a guest certificate for the unit. According to the summary in the owners learning center, it does, but I recall reading that it does not in practice. You can find more details about the various VIP perks here (login required): https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/member/help/learningCenter/details.do?id=LIB-0002208

So, only *some* owners will get unit numbers assigned when they book.

I'm looking at hilton bonnet creek- and I see where kids eat breakfast free. If we get a room with 2 adult breakfast buffets will our kids still eat free. Does this deal cover the hot food too.
Thanks

I'm looking at hilton bonnet creek- and I see where kids eat breakfast free. If we get a room with 2 adult breakfast buffets will our kids still eat free. Does this deal cover the hot food too.
Thanks

This thread is about the time share.... I'm not sure if there is a thread about the hotel. :goodvibes

Hello All

I've tried reading through the incredibly long but useful threads but still cant locate a post showing the benefits and disadvantages of the 6 towers.

This will be our first stay at WBC and seen as we are checking in early I would like to be able to request an certain Tower if possible as I understand they don't take requests prior to check in?

We will be in a 2 bed delux (I think) and are a family of 6.

Thank you in advance

Annette :)

Hi,
after debating onsite vs offsite, I am pretty sure we will stay at BC on our next trip. We are thinking about a 2 bedroom, if we book through vacation upgardes can you pick whether you want a deluxe or presidential? is the extra room worth it?

Do they have rollaway beds, we have a 3 year old who doesn't fit in a pack and play but it is too small to stay in a regular bed

thanks
Lucia

Do both VS and VU attempt to re-book at sixty days out? Does it matter if you're going in a Value season?

Ok! Back home after a lovely 8 day trip to WDW/WBC with my wife, mother-in-law and her boyfriend. A little background... no kids, all adults, I'm a Wyndham owner (my home property is WBC) and this is our first time ever staying since we purchased. We reserved a 2BR deluxe and 1 more night added on after the initial reservation that I was able to upgrade in the "free" VIP upgrade window to 2BR presidential... which I ended up DOWNGRADING so we didn't have to switch rooms for the last night.

Check-in was fairly uneventful, there was plenty of "check-in" parking and while the front desk was busy, we were taken care of fairly quickly. Upon check-in, I requested a fireworks view (I had this "requested" upon making the reservation but I'm not gold VIP so I can't stake claim to an exact room). They informed me that there was a 2BR deluxe already ready for us to check into, but it was a 2nd floor pond view. I politely asked for a high-floor fireworks view since it was our first time as owners to stay on-property. The gentlemen informed me that there would be an unknown wait time for the available room, but wouldn't be more than a few hours. Since we still had to go to Publix for a few items, I agreed, and before I was even fully on the highway headed to the store, my phone rang and the room was ready. We stayed in Tower 5, on the 10th floor with fireworks view.

I accidentally made the mistake of going over to the vacation club desk for a parking pass, but I quickly made up for it by unplugging our room phones as they did call the first morning we missed our meeting with them.

Once settled in, my wife and I took a stroll around the property. The walk around the pond from building to building is very nice! The pools all seemed well kept and safe. I will say that in the afternoon/early evening the pools all seemed very crowded, but we never actually used them. We did stop at the tiki bar for a few drinks to relax.

I will say this... if you have children, this is a great property to go to. As for the "DW" and I, we may stretch our points a little further by staying at another Wyndham property if we go down again without kiddos. We really didn't use any of the lovely amenities found on the property so I guess it was sort of a waste in a way...

There really isn't much else I can say that hasn't already been said. Our washer/dryer was a touch on the noisy side, but nothing too bad. The dishwasher worked well (soap was provided). We never ordered a housecleaning, but I did call down for more toilet paper about the mid-point of the stay.

One crazy thing happened however....

While backing out of the parking spot in the garage, I backed into one of the concrete support pillars with our brand new rental car (2014/15 Chevy Impala with only 3,000 miles on the ODO). Since I hit the corner of the pillar and not the flat face of it, it really did a number to the plastic bumper and dented the trunk. One of the WBC grounds attendants actually witnessed it happen and rushed over to make sure my wife and I were ok. We were, and he then helped by calling over security to take a report while I called our rental car company and my insurance company. Security at WBC is top notch, the two folks that responded to our little accident were very professional and polite. They did inform me that the local law enforcement agency wouldn't want to respond to such a minor accident (in their words "less than $5,000 in damage, no fatality or serious injury")... my pride doesn't count as a serious injury.

The crazy thing is... we always take the optional insurance, but we booked this car through Wyndham Perks and unbeknownst to us, it books as a special "corporate" account with Enterprise and they do not allow for optional insurance to be taken out on the rental. So... buyer beware if there are any owners out there that rent through Perks. What saved me $100 initially, cost me an extra $500 in deductible payment plus whatever loss of income they will have while the car is in the shop.

Great trip none the less!

We are thinking about a 2 bedroom, if we book through vacation upgardes can you pick whether you want a deluxe or presidential? is the extra room worth it?

We currently are staying in a 2-bedroom deluxe with 2 of our 3 children. There is PLENTY of room!!! :) Dh and I were just discussing what we wanted to book for Fall Break and very quickly decided that there was no reason for us to book a presidential (something I thought we'd want for this first stay). I do not know about roll away beds, but there is a fold-out queen-sized sofa in the living room. It is quite low to the ground. Dd wanted to sleep in it last night. She was very comfy, but I don't think an adult would be. Oh, and there's lots of storage. A definite plus when traveling with children.

I will say this... if you have children, this is a great property to go to. As for the "DW" and I, we may stretch our points a little further by staying at another Wyndham property if we go down again without kiddos. We really didn't use any of the lovely amenities found on the property so I guess it was sort of a waste in a way...

AustinNYC: my parents are platinum VIP owners ~ although don't own at WBC. We have stayed on their points numerous times, all around the country. Last summer we were in the Orlando area for a conference, happened to be at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Hotel, but we were not able to get a room at the timeshare, so my parents got us a 2 bedroom unit at Cypress Palms. That resort was the worst we have ever stayed at. It was FILLED with young people, maybe high school aged on a trip? It was noisy, the pools were overcrowded, lobby was small and crowded, and the room was nothing special. Even if you don't use all of the amenities at WBC, it is worth it there. We will never stay at Cypress Palms again.. I would rather pay for a hotel!

AustinNYC: my parents are platinum VIP owners ~ although don't own at WBC. We have stayed on their points numerous times, all around the country. Last summer we were in the Orlando area for a conference, happened to be at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Hotel, but we were not able to get a room at the timeshare, so my parents got us a 2 bedroom unit at Cypress Palms. That resort was the worst we have ever stayed at. It was FILLED with young people, maybe high school aged on a trip? It was noisy, the pools were overcrowded, lobby was small and crowded, and the room was nothing special. Even if you don't use all of the amenities at WBC, it is worth it there. We will never stay at Cypress Palms again.. I would rather pay for a hotel!

Eww. That doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for the tip!!!

We currently are staying in a 2-bedroom deluxe with 2 of our 3 children. There is PLENTY of room!!! :) Dh and I were just discussing what we wanted to book for Fall Break and v

Thanks for the info! what about the view? which is a good tower for a Deluxe 2 bedroom to get to see the fireworks?
Grandma and Grandpa are likely coming with us, so my LO will likely end up in our room, he is 3 now, and goes to bed earlier than everyone else. So a room we can close a door is where he has to go, so mommy and daddy can go have a glass of wine in the balcony! We have a little travel bed we use a lot, I guess we can take that worse case scenario.

From the photos it seems like the living area of the Deluxe may be a little cramped for 4 adults and a toddler, but I guess grandma and grandpa can go watch TV in their room if they want to

Just booked Thanksgiving week with Ken and Denise(vacation upgrades). They are really great. So excited to have Thanksgiving at Bonnet Creek.

I know this has been asked before and I looked but this thread is huge and its part three and don't know what part I saw it in.

Looking for the drive time from WBC to each park.

Lets say from sitting in the parking lot at WBC in your car to standing at the gate in front of the park. For MK, AK, Epcot, Studios and the water parks.

Thanks

I've been meaning to time things this week but have not been good about it. I will say that WBC is the absolute best location for being in the center of things. The routes to everything are direct -- no wandering about as you have to do at some places. AK is the furthest, but it's a direct shot. I'm guessing 10 minutes at most to nearly everything. We even got to Universal in under 15 minutes yesterday! the exit to I-4 is just to the right of the resort exit. Fantastic location!!! (Can you tell we are now sold on this resort?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter