The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I have a quick question....does anyone know if the washer in the villas takes regular detergent or He?

thanks!

When you check-in there's already one detergent box in the washer. I think you can buy more down at the guest laundry on the first floor.

Hi everyone,
We are staying at VGC in December (our first Disney vacation as DVC members) and I'm just wondering the best way to put in a room request for our 1 bedroom villa? I would love to get a room on a high level with a DCA view. Can I call member services or is there an email address to submit my request?

I am planning a trip for next April. I was thinking about renting points for a studio. If I can't rent them until February, would this be a problem? I'm aiming for a couple of weeks after Easter.

TIA

Kim

I am planning a trip for next April. I was thinking about renting points for a studio. If I can't rent them until February, would this be a problem? I'm aiming for a couple of weeks after Easter.

TIA

Kim

Are you talking about renting points in Feb 2013 for a studio for April 2013? If so, yes, that will be hard to get depending on how long you plan on staying. You might get a night here or there, but studios fill up very quickly.

Cool thanks! I know that somewhere in this thread there's a map of the wing layout floor by floor, but didn't want to hunt for it. Well, maybe one year we'll get 6500. Almost never book studios so probably will never get to see the dual view balcony though it sounds awesome. Anybody on here stayed in 6500 and know if the ceilings are normal height?

Probably too late for you, but we stayed in 6500 two weeks ago. Ceilings are normal height.

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster (at least to this thread anyway).

We're going to be staying at the VGC for 9 nights on our points at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. The first 5 nights are in a one bedroom and the second are in a two bedroom (we have friends joining us).

When I made the reservation, I was told that the one bedroom assigned to us would be a lock-off, so we wouldn't have to change rooms for the second half of the stay, and that our friends would just be put in the studio on the other side of the door.

If that proves to be true:
a - are there any particular rooms I should look at requesting; and,
b - would requesting a particular room be pushing my luck with the fine folks at member services, since I had the sense that the whole "not changing rooms" thing was them already going above and beyond for me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Maddysdaddy said:
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster (at least to this thread anyway).

We're going to be staying at the VGC for 9 nights on our points at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. The first 5 nights are in a one bedroom and the second are in a two bedroom (we have friends joining us).

When I made the reservation, I was told that the one bedroom assigned to us would be a lock-off, so we wouldn't have to change rooms for the second half of the stay, and that our friends would just be put in the studio on the other side of the door.

If that proves to be true:
a - are there any particular rooms I should look at requesting; and,
b - would requesting a particular room be pushing my luck with the fine folks at member services, since I had the sense that the whole "not changing rooms" thing was them already going above and beyond for me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think you'll be lucky if it works out that you don't have to change rooms - getting out a 1br next to a studio that's checking out the same day your friends are checking in (there aren't a lot if rooms to be playing with). I would just hope they can actually deliver on that.

...The first 5 nights are in a one bedroom and the second are in a two bedroom (we have friends joining us).

All one bedroom villas are attached to studios, so they are all lock-offs. Your two bedroom reservation must be for a lockoff, rather than a dedicated. Your one bedroom and two bedroom reservations should be "linked" together under a single reservation number (if this is possible) -- which would make it obvious this is one continuous visit.

You might want to call the Grand Californian a week or two in advance to alert them about your special room situation. The Grand must assign villas several days (or weeks) in advance so two bedroom lock-off are available when needed.

My suggested villa request for the one bedroom:
6502, 5502, 4502, 3502, 5508, 4508, 3508

These rooms have a good WOC view. x508 have a slightly better WOC view, but the x502 - x504 two bedroom lock-off would have an better overall view.

[snip]My suggested villa request for the one bedroom:

These rooms have a good WOC view. x508 have a slightly better WOC view, but the x502 - x504 two bedroom lock-off would have an better overall view.

One possible downside to the WoC view at GCV is the poor internet reception. We were in 4504 last weekend and I ended up sitting in the chairs near the elevator when I needed a steady wifi signal. This hasn't been an issue with these rooms before, but I noticed that I was less likely to get a hotel wifi signal in DCA than I was in the past and that this might be related. -- Suzanne

One possible downside to the WoC view at GCV is the poor internet reception. We were in 4504 last weekend and I ended up sitting in the chairs near the elevator when I needed a steady wifi signal. This hasn't been an issue with these rooms before, but I noticed that I was less likely to get a hotel wifi signal in DCA than I was in the past and that this might be related. -- Suzanne

I ran into that last year in 6504. Luckily at that time they also had wired internet for my laptop. Is wired still an option? I'm going next month.

We were in 6500 two weeks ago and the WiFi there was fine. Good signal and no dropouts.

This is not related to the last 2 posts but just a review of the villa view we had this weekend. We had the 2 bed villa #5518 which is the Tower of Terror, Bear rock formation & "woodsy playground" view. Although we could have had a pool view I thought my guests would like to try the partial park view but we were surprise to see turning to our left of the balcony a perfect view of Disneyland firework show! Wow so beautiful!! That was a true bonus for us! We knew we would not see WOC but thought to try a new experience with this view & so glad we did! It was NOT the BEST park view such as the grand villa (#4522) but surprisingly okay! I shall share this info on the Grand Cali Super Thread.

Nonsuch said:
All one bedroom villas are attached to studios, so they are all lock-offs. Your two bedroom reservation must be for a lockoff, rather than a dedicated. Your one bedroom and two bedroom reservations should be "linked" together under a single reservation number (if this is possible) -- which would make it obvious this is one continuous visit.

You might want to call the Grand Californian a week or two in advance to alert them about your special room situation. The Grand must assign villas several days (or weeks) in advance so two bedroom lock-off are available when needed.

My suggested villa request for the one bedroom:

Thanks for the great advice.

a VGC through an RCI trade??

Hi everyone!
I tried to read throught some of this super long thread, and you all seem quite knowlegeble and friendly.
Maybe this has been answered? but I didn't find it.... so...

I went looking for an Anaheim property to trade my Cabo San Lucas timeshare thru RCI for a week in June 2013 and this property came up twice.

I read there are only 48 units? Is that true? Ouch, that is restrictive.

I am trading in a 1 bd/2bath property at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo, which has a very high trade value with RCI, but, have any of you ever even deposited your property or heard of anyone else depositing their property into RCI?

Am I wasting my time? Or maybe is it worth a search for a few months, then if nothing comes up, opening it up to other Anaheim properties?

Thank you for any input!!

Marcy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter