The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I am thinking of going to Disneyland for the first time ever next August, how difficult is it to get a reservation here at the 7 month point it would be myslf and DW only so happy with a studio, or would I be better off renting/ transfering someone elses VGC points to my account for booking here ?

We just did this. We are going the last week of August and were able to get a Studio at VGC for 8 days. I booked a 1 BR which was not hard to get right at the 7 month mark and wait listed the Studio. Even so, make sure you are on lone at 8am SHARP. At the end of the week I called Member Services to ask a couple of questions regarding the wait list process. Literally while I was on the phone with the CM she told me that my wait list was able to be filled on the spot. So I highly recommend calling Member Services. It was almost too good to be true. I, as I am sure you have, read many nightmares about VGC Studio wait lists being impossible to get…especially for a week. Well, take it from me, they're not. Stay hopeful and call Member Services!

My wife and I are thinking about buying into the Grand California through resale, probably 160 points. How difficult would it be to reserve a studio for a week during the month of September, from 8-11 months out?

Thanks for any insights you have, excited to potentially be an actual owner!

My wife and I are thinking about buying into the Grand California through resale, probably 160 points. How difficult would it be to reserve a studio for a week during the month of September, from 8-11 months out?
You will be able to book any date at 11 months in advance. Studios tend to book first, but there will still be many days available at 8 months in advance.

Question - I just booked the Grand Villa for next Jan. For some reason, I thought the queen sofa downstairs slept 2 people so that total occupancy would be 13 but noticed that DVC list it at 12. Is that a strict policy? No problem if it is but just wanted clarification.

...I just booked the Grand Villa for next Jan. For some reason, I thought the queen sofa downstairs slept 2 people so that total occupancy would be 13 but noticed that DVC list it at 12. Is that a strict policy?
There are 2 sofas downstairs and another upstairs by the pool table, but I don't know how many fold out.
Considering the occupancy of a regular GCH room is 5, the GV could easily accommodate more than 12.
It is unlikely anyone at the hotel will authorize more than 12 guests, but equally unlikely anyone will visit the villa to check.

We are planning on a trip to DL the second week of February. Do you think we will have a good chance of booking a 1 bedroom at GCV at 7 months? Otherwise, we might try for the DLH. Has anyone had luck booking 7 months out at GCV?

We are planning on a trip to DL the second week of February. Do you think we will have a good chance of booking a 1 bedroom at GCV at 7 months?
Your chances are quite good. There have been a few posts about successfully booking studios at 7 months, and booking a studio is more difficult than a 1 bedroom.

We are planning on a trip to DL the second week of February. Do you think we will have a good chance of booking a 1 bedroom at GCV at 7 months? Otherwise, we might try for the DLH. Has anyone had luck booking 7 months out at GCV?

I have been able to get studios many times at seven months, although I have always gone at non-peak times. Once I wait listed an August stay (without much hope, honestly) and to my surprise, it came through. Go ahead and try, and if you have to go on the wait list book a backup reservation at the DLH. Usually the room only reservations don't have to be cancelled until 5 days from stay. The Grand is a dreamy place to stay. I love the DLH, but the beautiful grounds and soothing surroundings of the Grand and the incredible proximity to the parks make it a special place to stay.

I have been successful in booking studios at 7 months twice now. One is even for August of this year. Make sure to be online exactly at 8am EST. I even fill out what I want (resort, dates) before and as soon as the clock turns over, I click on search in the online booking. This time I did another search after I had secured my reservation and there was no availability anymore. So, either I got the one single studio or someone else was up really early as well.

That is great that you both have been successful at 7 months. Good idea to have everything filled out and ready to go. I can't wait to visit DL and it will be even better to be able to stay at this beautiful resort!

I agree with many others here that it is definitely possible to get a studio at 7 months but as castle1 mentioned you want to be logged in and ready to go before 8am EST! I was able to get a studio at 7 months Thanksgiving week this way. Grand Californian is amazing!

We will be at VGC in August. Does the pool have activities during the day like the resorts at WDW?

I'm planning a family trip in June 2016 at the VGC staying (hopefully) in the Grand Villa. I understand that the one facing Paradise Pier is the HA room and the one facing the Mariposa Pool and Disneyland is not HA. We'd prefer the villa facing Paradise Pier but are concerned about the modifications that were made for handicapped accessibility. Can anyone clarify what has been done to the kitchen and the master bathroom for accessibility? Lastly, the only reason we'd want the Paradise Pier view is to watch the WoC from our room. It seems like this might be less than optimal. Any comments?

I'm planning a family trip in June 2016 at the VGC staying (hopefully) in the Grand Villa. I understand that the one facing Paradise Pier is the HA room and the one facing the Mariposa Pool and Disneyland is not HA. We'd prefer the villa facing Paradise Pier but are concerned about the modifications that were made for handicapped accessibility. Can anyone clarify what has been done to the kitchen and the master bathroom for accessibility? Lastly, the only reason we'd want the Paradise Pier view is to watch the WoC from our room. It seems like this might be less than optimal. Any comments?

I can't answer your questions about the GV but I can address WOC. While you may be able to view WOC from your room, it is not a replacement for the show itself. There is a lot that happens on the water projections, ferris wheel, and California screamin' that are
Part of the "story." I'm assuming that you're able to hear the dialog. It's a very dialog intensive show.

Allears.net has pictures of the HA GV: http://allears.net/dlr/acc/g_gcv2.htm

...Can anyone clarify what has been done to the kitchen and the master bathroom for accessibility?
The HA features did not reduce our enjoyment of the GV. There are no changes to the main room (with the 2 story window). The second floor (5th floor) with 2 bedrooms and pool table also have no HA features.

The kitchen counter is slightly lower with a shallow sink and no drawer under the oven.
4522_sink.jpg

4522_oven.jpg

The sinks in the master bath might also be slightly lower, there are 2 sinks and a jet tub.
The toilet and shower are in a separate large room, rather than the typical layout of a glass shower enclosure and a small room for the toilet.
4522_master_sink.jpg

4522_master_toilet.jpg

4522_shower.jpg

4522_shower_seat.jpg

4522_showerhead.jpg

There is a small ramp in the master bedroom balcony and the safe is mounted lower.
4522_ramp.jpg

4522_safe.jpg

...the only reason we'd want the Paradise Pier view is to watch the WoC from our room. It seems like this might be less than optimal. Any comments?
The GV has the best view of WOC available from outside the park, but is not a substitute for viewing from inside the park.
This is the view from June 2011. The trees have grown and more have been planted, so there will likely be more obstructions.
4522_night.jpg

Having watched WoC from the GV last month, it was almost impossible to see from the 4th floor. The 5th floor had a better view, but the angle was off to be able to see the projections clearly. If I hadn't seen the show several times before from the viewing area, it would have been hard to follow the storyline, as only the very loud sounds could be heard, the more subtle and softer parts weren't as audible on the balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter