• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Tweet Repeat: Live Twitter Trip Report Recap - Lots of Photos (Part 31 11/1/09)

Firstly, :rotfl: at the Hanes comment

Secondly, OMG! Gnats + Fantasmic = :scared1: Sounds like my biggest nightmare. I'm terrified of both bugs and Fantasmic! :laughing:

I LOVE your pics from One Man's Dream. :lovestruc Such a lovely attraction, and I'm really loving the photo of the little Emporium model. It's making me nostalgic for the America I certainly never even experienced! Plus, I spy an HSM3 poster behind that Parisian castle model! :woohoo:

I would have never noticed that HSM3 poster had you not pointed it out. The models are my favorite part of One Man's Dream.

And yes, scary scary gnats that don't do anything except annoy you while sitting and waiting for Fantasmic! The horror! :rotfl:

9/11/2009 8:38 AM EDT Taking it a bit slow this morning; heading to MK once we get ready. Haven't done Tiki Room yet and then we'll be repeating a few things.

A bit slow was an understatement. We did the usual mug refill before leaving, and finally we were heading to the bus around 9:30 AM. This is inset into the floor outside Everything Pop in the main building.

Finally, we get to the Magic Kingdom, head through the bag check line, and then I look up at the train station and it hits me: today is September 11.

Needless to say, the flag at half mast was quite moving. After getting a bunch of photos of the train station, we head for the turnstiles.

9/11/2009 10:09 AM EDT MK ticket scanning machines just went down. Big crowd piling up behind the gates. http://twitpic.com/hb3rz

Every single machine went down; no one was going into the park. After a couple of minutes, they started stamping tickets with the date, but soon after the scanners came back up. Finally, we entered the park with the intention of going to the Tiki Room.

9/11/2009 10:15 AM EDT Detour on the way to Tiki Room. Daisy is at the front of the park.

9/11/2009 10:22 AM EDT Flag on top the train station and the flag in town square are both at half mast.

We enjoyed the sights a bit on Main Street, but I was antsy to get to the Tiki Room because MK was closing at 6 PM tonight for MNSSHP.

9/11/2009 10:38 AM EDT Never tell my family they can sleep in. It's 10:40 and we haven't done anything besides see Daisy and now we are in the Main Street Bakery.

Of course, I got the cinnamon roll. The verdict:

9/11/2009 10:50 AM EDT Main Street cinnamon roll is 10x better than the one at AK.

It's soooooo good. :thumbsup2 This is a must-have for me, and I'm no longer going to be fooled into getting lesser cinnamon rolls at other parks.

As we're leaving the Main Street Bakery, the Move It Shake It Celebrate It party is coming down the street.

As the parade passes, we realize one of the stilt walkers is a friend of my wife and mine from college. We talk to him for a moment as he passes, but instead of heading to the hub for the party, we head off to the Tiki Room instead.

There were only a couple of people waiting when we got there, and it wasn't long before we were let inside. As far as I know, this is the first time any of us have watched the "Under New Management" show. The preshow didn't give me very high hopes, though.

The bright spot in the show was the Tiki Goddess animatronic. This one is pretty cool and moves quite well.

Now, my wife and I had seen the original Tiki Room in Disneyland when we went in 2005, so we had a fairly fresh memory of the original. My mom liked Under New Management, and Hailey enjoyed it of course (she's enjoying just about everything). My opinion:

9/11/2009 11:34 AM "Under New Management" is not nearly as good as the original Tiki Room.

Coming up: repeating some rides at the MK before moving to EPCOT

Just got caught up, Scott. Great update and your pictures are top notch. Love your train station composition with the flag at half-mast.

We seem to share similar thoughts on WDW things... I still call DHS "MGM" and probably always will, I also find the beginning of the Fantasmic show to be kind of random, I think MGM needs more lunch options, I now agree with your suggestion of why Haynes sponsors the RnRC :lmao:, and I also hate it when we arrive in the MK and don't accomplish anything within the first hour and 1/2.

It also looks like you guys had some of those great dramatic FL skies when you were there. Really helps make the pictures even more interesting, huh?

Just got caught up, Scott. Great update and your pictures are top notch. Love your train station composition with the flag at half-mast.

We seem to share similar thoughts on WDW things... I still call DHS "MGM" and probably always will, I also find the beginning of the Fantasmic show to be kind of random, I think MGM needs more lunch options, I now agree with your suggestion of why Haynes sponsors the RnRC :lmao:, and I also hate it when we arrive in the MK and don't accomplish anything within the first hour and 1/2.

It also looks like you guys had some of those great dramatic FL skies when you were there. Really helps make the pictures even more interesting, huh?

Thanks Todd!

The thing about the Florida sky is it can either look really good or really mess up your picture. Especially on our last day, the cloud cover really came in and I had to quasi-HDR a couple of shots (from the one RAW file I shot) to get it to look decent. Those are on Flickr but not posted here yet (probably will be included in the next post).

After the Tiki Room, we headed through Liberty Square towards Fantasyland. In the continued tribute to September 11, the colony flags surrounding the Liberty Bell in the square were also at half mast.

Hailey started misbehaving, so we put her in the stockade!

We're back in Fantasyland, and the crowds were still pretty light. I guess people were visiting other parks since MNSSHP was tonight. Also, Night of Joy was tonight at the Studios, so two parks were closing early.

We were moving at a fairly quick pace. First was a ride on Cinderella's Golden Carousel. Afterward, we took Hailey into Sir Mickey's for a pair of ears. She picked the pink ears with three princesses on them. Naturally, we had her name embroidered on the back. She already has a pair of traditional pink ears from when my wife and I went to Disneyland, so we were looking for something different this time. We also got one of the special fonts instead of the traditional script.

After finally getting these ears, we went back to our favorite 3D movie, Philharmagic. And of course, the valuable lesson we all learn at the end is "don't upset the instruments... they will get you."

9/11/2009 12:49 PM EDT Did the carousel, got Hailey some ears, and watched Philharmagic again. Now waiting in line for Pooh. 10 minute wait.

As usual, I don't think this line was actually 10 minutes long. Maybe 5.

After Pooh, we headed back to Toontown, but made a quick detour first:

9/11/2009 1:03 PM EDT Stopping at the Tea Cups on the way to the Barnstormer.

Everyone got nice and dizzy again, and we stumbled our way into Toontown looking like we snuck booze into the park. Hailey rode the Barnstormer two more times. The second time, I decided not to ride and try to get a shot of her on it.

The next time we're in WDW, the Barnstormer probably won't be known as the Barnstormer anymore. I think I can deal with that when I weigh it against what the Fantasyland expansion is bringing though.

After finally getting Hailey to decide to move on, we headed down the "Concourse to Tomorrowland". I don't understand why this is the Concourse to Tomorrowland. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tomorrowland begin just past the Tea Cups? So, in my esteemed opinion, this walkway should be the Concourse IN Tomorrowland.

Anyway, as we're heading down the Concourse in Tomorrowland, I start to hear a sound. It's a familiar sound, but not one I've heard in a while. As we get closer, I can make out what it is...

"Now approaching... Mickey's Star Traders!"

:scared1::scared1::scared1::eek::eek::eek:

I look up to see a familiar blue vehicle moving on the track overhead. At this point, I naturally have to yank out my iPhone and post an immediate tweet:

9/11/2009 1:40 PM EDT TTA IS OPEN!!!!

:woohoo::yay::banana::thumbsup2

The refurbishment was scheduled to end tomorrow. The TTA is not only open, but it's open a day early! I really thought we were going to just miss it, so naturally we immediately head for it.

The next set of thoughts runs through my mind: what is Space Mountain going to look like? Well, here's my thoughts right after the ride:

9/11/2009 1:56 PM EDT Lights are on in Space Mountain. Can't see much other than the big ship on the lift hill and the roof. Construction walls everywhere.

9/11/2009 2:08 PM EDT As far as I can tell, TTA is exactly the same but the sound system seems improved. EPCOT is still there as well as the hairdresser scene.

9/11/2009 2:09 PM EDT Skyway station demolition is easy to see. The whole area in front of Space Mountain is a mess.

After the ride on the TTA, we headed over to ride Buzz Lightyear one more time. We're not quite sure what happened, but my wife somehow scored over 700,000 points. When we came out of Buzz, Stitch was having a somewhat impromptu meet and greet by the Carousel of Progress.

While in line for Stitch, we also noticed that Buzz was set up at a meet and greet right next to the Carousel with his own background. This is when my memory card filled up, so I didn't really get pictures of Buzz. Fortunately, the Photopass CD, my parents' camera, and my sister's camera made up for that.

When we were leaving the line for Buzz, we had a CM ask us if he could ask us a few questions about our character experience. My dad ended up answering most of them as I was fooling with swapping cards. Once the CM was done, we decided on a second ride on the TTA.

This time, I got some better shots because I had a ballpark idea where my settings should be. Of course, by now you've all seen the demolition and the inside of Space Mountain, so I won't drag you through those again. Here's the lift hill with the astronauts though.

9/11/2009 2:26 PM EDT Got plenty of shots inside space mountain. Will be posting after I get home.

Turns out I wasn't so quick on posting those shots.

We hung out in Tomorrowland a bit longer, and while we were just taking in Tomorrowland, there was a loud clap of thunder. Immediately afterward, the entire Magic Kingdom groaned in unison, and naturally I thought it was hilarious.

Finally, we decided to split up. My wife and I were going to head back to the room to pick up my tripod. Everyone else was going to go ride Aladdin one more time and then take the monorail to EPCOT. We would all meet back up at EPCOT.

On the way down Main Street, my wife and I stopped in Uptown Jewelers again. The other night we had looked at the Precious Moments figurines, and she decided she wanted the one of Minnie and a girl in a tea cup, called "You Are My Cup of Tea"

Since we were headed back to the room, we picked it up in order to bring it back with us.

Coming up: the final evening of the trip at EPCOT and Illuminations

Great updates, Scott. So the TTA soundtrack seemed to be same except for updated audio? Or by updated audio do you mean that the soundtrack WAS changed? I had read that they changed it, that there was no longer the "now approaching..." or the "paging Mr. Morrow..." bits? I was so disappointed when I read that because we love the TTA soundtrack, and quote it all the time. Can you put my fears to rest, please?

Great updates, Scott. So the TTA soundtrack seemed to be same except for updated audio? Or by updated audio do you mean that the soundtrack WAS changed? I had read that they changed it, that there was no longer the "now approaching..." or the "paging Mr. Morrow..." bits? I was so disappointed when I read that because we love the TTA soundtrack, and quote it all the time. Can you put my fears to rest, please?

Unfortunately, what you've heard is true. The soundtrack was changed recently. However, when the TTA first reopened on September 11, they were playing the older soundtrack with "now approaching..." and the "paging Tom Morrow" lines. It still even talked about Space Mountain like it was open and running. I listened to the new one and it's not bad, but it's quite different. Some parts are a bit more informative even. I still like the older one better.

When I rode that day, it was playing the older soundtrack, but I thought the speakers and such might have been changed out or something; it seemed clearer than I remember.

I have YET to try a cinammon roll at the bakery! :( And as for the TTA new audio? I must have been so excited to just ride it that I didn't notice. But now that I think about it...I didn't hear the page for Mr. Morrow!

I have YET to try a cinammon roll at the bakery! :( And as for the TTA new audio? I must have been so excited to just ride it that I didn't notice. But now that I think about it...I didn't hear the page for Mr. Morrow!

According to Wikipedia, the new audio started playing October 2. I also heard that it was back and forth between the old and the new version at first. So, you may not have heard the new version at all.

And you must try a Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll. I think you can fit it in sometime in your next two trips. ;)

On the way back to Pop, the sky opened up for a few minutes. By the time my wife and I got there, the rain stopped. We grabbed the tripod, got a mug refill and headed back to the bus stop.

We're waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

9/11/2009 3:47 PM EDT Went back to the room to get my tripod for Illuminations. The bus to EPCOT is taking forever to get here.

After two buses for all of the other stops passed, we decided we had enough and made a change of plan.

9/11/2009 3:53 PM EDT Taking the DHS bus and then taking the boat to EPCOT because the bus wait was getting ridiculous.

Was this actually a smart move? Who knows, but we were tired of standing in front of Pop Century.

When we reach DHS, we head for the Friendship dock only to see the boat leaving. I look at my wife, and she says she wants to walk to EPCOT. I ask her if she's sure, and she says yes, so here we go down the walking path from DHS through the Boardwalk to EPCOT. We were moving quick since we had a 5:30 PM ADR at Teppan Edo.

On our way into the International Gateway, a man leaving the park handed us a pair of FastPasses for Test Track. Wasn't part of our plan for this evening, but we kept them and maybe we'll find someone who will use them. Finally, we're in EPCOT and heading for the Fountain of Nations. Everyone else is in The Electric Umbrella grabbing a snack.

After meeting up with everyone, we spend some time in Mouse Gear because I saw an old-school blue EPCOT Center t-shirt that I wanted last time we were in there but waited on it. It was nowhere to be found anywhere else we went on property, so I made sure to pick it up this time. Here's a picture I found online:

IMG_4862.JPG

We then took the walk over to World Showcase going around from Canada to Japan.

9/11/2009 5:13 PM EDT The stands for Food & Wine are going up.

Once getting to Japan, there's no real direction on where to go for Teppan Edo. We finally ask someone in the main store, and we're directed upstairs to the Teppan Edo/Tokyo Dining area.

9/11/2009 5:32 PM EDT At Teppan Edo. Just sat down at the hibachi.

First impression:

9/11/2009 5:58 PM EDT Fairly formal here. Waiting for the chef to come cook.

I've been to local hibachi bars before, but none of them were very formal. This was bowing and everything. Really interesting actually and gave more of an insight into Japanese culture than a normal sushi restaurant.

Finally, the chef came over, and it's a woman. I've never seen a woman chef at a hibachi before. She was very good and quite entertaining.

After the meal, I was feeling pretty good.

9/11/2009 6:42 PM EDT Just finished the entree. Everyone had surf and turf. Server should be by soon to take dessert orders.

Slight correction to that; everyone had the steak and shrimp combo except Hailey, who had just shrimp. Everything tasted very good. Then the server came by to take dessert orders. I ordered the chocolate ginger cake; my wife got the green tea pudding, my sister got soft serve, and my parents also got the chocolate ginger cake.

The server didn't ask what Hailey wanted for dessert, so I asked what was available for her...

9/11/2009 6:55 PM EDT Just got dessert. You mean to tell me that a $13 kids entree comes with a DelMonte fruit cup that's like a dollar for a pack of six?!

I'm sorry, but this left a bad taste in my mouth, especially when one of the regular dessert choices is soft serve ice cream. It literally was a DelMonte fruit cup; not even fresh fruit or anything. Very frustrating and I mentioned it to the server but didn't seem to get through to her.

Had it not been for the fruit cup incident, this would have been my favorite restaurant of the trip. Very good food, but how much money are they really saving by giving a child a fruit cup instead of a small bowl of ice cream? :sad2:

Coming up: Illuminations!

Hey Scott, all caught up.

Really like those shots of Fantasmic! We don't plan on seeing it in December, I've seen it before and now that they limited the amount of shows per week we really don't feel like waiting an hour and a half in line to get in for a seat (you know, I don't like shows).

I totally feel you on the last minute decision to go to DHS and get the boat to Epcot. That was like us with trying to get to the Magic Kingdom, saw like 2 busses for every other resort. At some point, you just don't feel like standing around---even if it means taking longer to get there than taking the direct bus.

Del Monte fruit cup for dessert? CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP. Not to mention, even fresh fruit as a dessert option would be kind of a stretch, let alone a fruit cup. Looks like a good meal otherwise, though.

Hey Scott, all caught up.

Really like those shots of Fantasmic! We don't plan on seeing it in December, I've seen it before and now that they limited the amount of shows per week we really don't feel like waiting an hour and a half in line to get in for a seat (you know, I don't like shows).

I totally feel you on the last minute decision to go to DHS and get the boat to Epcot. That was like us with trying to get to the Magic Kingdom, saw like 2 busses for every other resort. At some point, you just don't feel like standing around---even if it means taking longer to get there than taking the direct bus.

Del Monte fruit cup for dessert? CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP. Not to mention, even fresh fruit as a dessert option would be kind of a stretch, let alone a fruit cup. Looks like a good meal otherwise, though.

I really like Fantasmic, but I don't blame you on that one. It's gotten a bit ridiculous to have to sit there for over an hour because of the limited showings. They did have two showings the night we went, but as we were walking out there was a huge crowd waiting for the next one. Fantasmic, IMO, definitely affects crowds at MGM. If it's showing that day, stay away unless you want to see it. It wasn't crowded enough that it really affected what we were doing (it was September after all), but it was more crowded than our days in other parks. What I'd probably do in the future is go to another park for the day (maybe EPCOT) and then show up just for Fantasmic that night. The good thing, though, is that we really didn't wait in line; we just waited in the seats forever.

The fruit cup really bothered me. Hailey didn't really notice so I tried not to make too big of a deal out of it, and it wouldn't be bad for her to get some fruit. It just felt really cheap, especially considering the prices on the menu (I know, we were on DDP so we didn't pay those prices, but still).

I totally agree on the fruit cup!!! You'd think soft serve is actually cheaper....isn't it? At least in bulk like they have it? Crazy!!!

I totally agree on the fruit cup!!! You'd think soft serve is actually cheaper....isn't it? At least in bulk like they have it? Crazy!!!

It's cheap enough that restaurants have soft serve machines just sitting out with cones and bowls for people to go get, like the Tex-Mex restaurant not far from my house and Jason's Deli. At Teppan Edo, it's $4.50 for a bowl of soft-serve. And no, Disney does not somehow have better soft serve.

Yes Ann, we're not quite done yet. After leaving Teppan Edo, we headed out and watched the Japanese drummers play for a few minutes before walking in the direction of the American Adventure.

9/11/2009 7:29 PM EDT Taking a stroll around the world.

We didn't really stop anywhere; we just kept walking all the way around the lagoon, taking in all the architecture. Once we circled the lagoon, I started eyeing a spot for Illuminations. A few minutes later, I saw a nice spot:

9/11/2009 7:58 PM EDT Set up for Illuminations between Mexico and Norway. I'm the putz with the tripod (yes, the only one).

While I set up, everyone else decided to go elsewhere. Hailey and my wife went to Spaceship Earth. My dad and sister went to Test Track. My mom sat on a bench behind me. So, the only things I have to protect the tripod are myself and the stroller (Hailey wanted to walk). So I park the stroller next to the tripod and stand there, and stand there, and stand there...

9/11/2009 8:38 PM EDT Standing guard over the tripod...

At some point, a nice couple stood to the left of my tripod and decided to help me out. His son was also into photography and just got the Canon T1i. A not-so-nice group to the right decided to stand in front the stroller, so I had to reposition it so it was up against the wall between them and the tripod. Finally, my family started returning. First back were Hailey and my wife; Hailey took her seat in the stroller and my wife went and sat with my mom for a little while. Next, my dad returned. My sister decided to ride Mission Space Orange and wasn't concerned if she didn't make it back for Illuminations. Not long before the show, my wife came up and joined us.

At 8:50, the torches light up, and at 9:00, the screaming firework goes off.

9/11/2009 9:22 PM EDT Illuminations went 100x better than wishes. Lots of nice pics.

I have trouble deciding whether Wishes or Illuminations is my favorite nighttime show. I think Wishes edges out because Illuminations has those parts where hardly anything is going on.

After Illuminations, we start making a slow walk to the front. Once again, we stop at Mouse Gear. This time, we make some purchases for Hailey. She wanted a Tinker Bell Barbie-like doll and a stuffed Pegasus. We used about half of her birthday gift card to get those. We also looked in the Art of Disney again, but didn't come out with anything. Hailey wanted to ride Spaceship Earth with me, so Hailey and I went on the ride and everyone else waited outside.

9/11/2009 10:40 PM EDT Did Spaceship Earth with Hailey one more time. Probably the last ride of the trip. Waiting for the bus back to Pop for our last night.

The bus took a little while to get there, but we eventually got back to Pop. I just started tweeting a bunch of stuff at this point.

9/11/2009 11:10 PM EDT Back at Pop drinking some Powerade in the food court. Hailey's asleep in the stroller. She's been a trooper this trip.

9/11/2009 11:27 PM EDT Bounceback offer in case anyone is interested: http://twitpic.com/hek9w

9/11/2009 11:29 PM EDT It's been a very busy & very fun week. Tomorrow we are planning to get our bags taken care of early & go to DtD for last minute shopping.

We packed most of our stuff and went to bed, knowing we'd be leaving for the real world tomorrow. :(

Coming up: Ann glares at me through her monitor as I try to stretch this report out more, and a rainy romp through Downtown Disney

Ok, first things first! WOW on the Illumination pics!! Holy Buckets, Scott!

The last time with the bro & niece, my bro staked out a spot in front of American Adventure and it was perfect. No one stood to the right of us because it was a blocked view, so we had air and personal space. I really enoy Illuminations, but I think I had my fill unless they change it. I may concentrate more on seeing Wishes.

Re: Teppan Edo, definitely on the list for next time. Though, there is alot of good hibachi places around me, there is something about eating at Disney....;)
It sounds like you had a great time, other than the fruit cup. That is mighty weird. Maybe they didn't want more dishes? Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason for things.

Re: One Man's Dream, I loved the pic of the park models. I've got to see if I can do that with my schmucky point & shoot. lol

Re: TSM, I don't get this ride at all. I don't have a plan to go on it, but maybe I should. I love Mr Potato Head. :thumbsup2

And I never have to do RnRC again. Holy Buckets, I almost passed out after the ride. I felt really queasy. Hmmm...do you think it'll help me out with touring plans? :rotfl:

Re: Fantasmic, I really enjoyed the show. Thankfully, I've had the dinner package the 2 times I saw it. Once for Hollywood & Vine (which was very decent!) and once for Mama Melrose (it was ok). I think I can skip it next time. Your pics came out beauitfully and now I have to go back and check mine out!

I'm sorry your time is almost at an end.

How do you feel about Pop Century? Other than the recent bus escapade, how was the transportation?

Ok, first things first! WOW on the Illumination pics!! Holy Buckets, Scott!

The last time with the bro & niece, my bro staked out a spot in front of American Adventure and it was perfect. No one stood to the right of us because it was a blocked view, so we had air and personal space. I really enoy Illuminations, but I think I had my fill unless they change it. I may concentrate more on seeing Wishes.

Re: Teppan Edo, definitely on the list for next time. Though, there is alot of good hibachi places around me, there is something about eating at Disney....;)
It sounds like you had a great time, other than the fruit cup. That is mighty weird. Maybe they didn't want more dishes? Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason for things.

Re: One Man's Dream, I loved the pic of the park models. I've got to see if I can do that with my schmucky point & shoot. lol

Re: TSM, I don't get this ride at all. I don't have a plan to go on it, but maybe I should. I love Mr Potato Head. :thumbsup2

And I never have to do RnRC again. Holy Buckets, I almost passed out after the ride. I felt really queasy. Hmmm...do you think it'll help me out with touring plans? :rotfl:

Re: Fantasmic, I really enjoyed the show. Thankfully, I've had the dinner package the 2 times I saw it. Once for Hollywood & Vine (which was very decent!) and once for Mama Melrose (it was ok). I think I can skip it next time. Your pics came out beauitfully and now I have to go back and check mine out!

I'm sorry your time is almost at an end.

How do you feel about Pop Century? Other than the recent bus escapade, how was the transportation?

Thank you! :)

I might have to check out the American Adventure next time I shoot Illuminations. I also think I'll use a wider lens; I wasn't getting any of the high bursts in my pictures.

Teppan Edo really was a great meal. Best hibachi I've had.

In One Man's Dream with a P&S, try shooting without a flash. You'll have to hold the camera extra steady, but the flash won't reflect off the glass cases.

The Mr. Potato Head animatronic is really well-done. He even pulls one of his ears out. If you don't like Buzz Lightyear, you won't like TSM. One could argue that Buzz is actually better because you're not just in front of screens shooting, but overall I liked TSM a bit better. TSM also sprays you with water and shoots compressed air at you if you hit certain targets (like the 3D movies).

If you didn't like RnRC, skip it. When I was young, I used to really dislike roller coasters, except for the ones at Disney. I think it was mostly height-related. I rode the Batman coaster and the Mega Zeph at Six Flags New Orleans over and over again for a couple of summers at the end of high school and beginning of college and got over that. SFNO has been closed since Katrina though (and wasn't a very good park honestly; we stopped renewing our season passes a year or two before Katrina). I still don't like the drop rides that aren't Tower of Terror where you're just sitting in a seat attached to a column that shoots you up and down.

I really like Fantasmic, but the reduced showings have made the crowds ridiculous. The dining package isn't what it used to be either, which is why I wasn't too aggravated when I couldn't get one at Mama Melrose (yes, I called on my 90 day mark). The dining package doesn't have its own entrance anymore and you wait in line with everyone else. I've also heard that they only reserve the seats until 30 minutes before, so they're up for grabs by anyone after that.

I've really enjoyed writing this. It's not very often that I can sit down and just write a story, even if I am long-winded. ;)

I think Pop's a great place to stay. That transporation incident was the only one. I was a little surprised at how many people were waiting for the bus at park closing, and it would take a couple of buses to come before we got on one, but that's expected. The rooms are a little small (the only other WDW resort I've stayed at is Coronado), but the food court and grounds are fairly nice, especially if you like huge icons. One other ugly thing is the bridge to nowhere and the incomplete abandoned buildings on the other side of the lake that was supposed to be the Legendary Years. Next time (whenever that may be) I'm tempted to do another moderate (I doubt we'll be doing deluxe unless there's an insanely good deal); maybe Caribbean Beach or POFQ.

(Note: SSE at night was the last picture. Because of the rain I left my camera in its bag.

9/12/2009 8:04 AM EDT Up and getting ready. Going to check our bags once ready and head to Downtown Disney for a little while. Need to be at DME by 1:15.

We gathered up what was still out and finished packing our bags. At this point, I think we could start feeling the clock ticking.

9/12/2009 8:45 AM EDT Hailey says her favorite ride is "the big ball".

Once my wife, Hailey and I were packed we went ahead and went to check our bags. The line was much larger than I expected; maybe because it was a Saturday. However, cast members were walking up the line, and when one asked us what airline we were flying (Southwest) he took our bags from us right there and we didn't have to wait until we got to the front of the line.

Next stop: breakfast. My parents and sister are still packing. :sad2: We headed over to Everything Pop.

9/12/2009 9:23 AM EDT Eating Pop waffles, then heading to DtD. It's a little rainy.

Yep, we're finally getting the rain that we managed to miss all week. I also double-checked our dining plan count.

9/12/2009 9:26 AM EDT Still have 1CS per person and 6 snacks.

That's almost perfect, because we still need lunch for today. We'll have to burn the snack credits on stuff to take home.

My parents finally caught up with us after checking their bags, and they grabbed some breakfast too. A little while later we were on a bus to Downtown Disney.

At Downtown Disney, the first place we headed was the Art of Disney. After agonizing for a while on what I wanted to buy, I chose a Mad Tea Party attraction poster. Now here's something strange. When my wife and I went to Disneyland in 2005, I bought a Space Mountain poster (that still hasn't been framed because it's ridiculously gigantic... what was I thinking?). Disneyland has a similar "art on demand" system; the prints are ready in about an hour. At WDW though, you must have the print shipped home. Grudgingly I accepted, but liked being able to buy it and pick it up better.

Next was the Christmas shop, where we bought a Baby's 1st Christmas and a silver ornament that's tough to describe; it's a bunch of cocentric circles.

We ended up back at Once Upon a Toy next to finish up Hailey's birthday gift card. She wanted Bullseye and Nala plushes. This didn't quite finish the card, so I threw in a Figment too. Meanwhile, my dad and sister went over to the World of Disney, and my mom went to do "something". We eventually got everyone back together at the Earl of Sandwich.

9/12/2009 11:51 AM EDT Spent the rest of our Disney rewards card and birthday fun card and then some. Getting Earl of Sandwich and heading back to Pop.

We took our EoS to go since it's already almost noon. However, the only other bus problem we had the entire trip is about to happen.

9/12/2009 12:20 PM EDT Waiting for Pop bus at Marketplace. Bus that stopped here first was "just dropping off".

That wouldn't have been so bad if another bus had come soon. However, it didn't and it was at least 20 minutes before a Pop bus showed up.

We finally got back to the resort and sat down at the first table we found. I went to get a mug refill and came back to my sandwich still wrapped at my seat. I pick it up and look at the label: it's the club. Wait a minute, I ordered the All-American.

"Who ordered the club?"
While eating, my wife says "I did, why?"
"Well this is your sandwich."
I then look at her sandwich and see the purple cranberry sauce. She's eating my All-American! I showed her the sticker on the side of the unopened sandwich. She didn't realize the stickers said which sandwich was which. :sad2: So I ended up eating the club, which was still good, but not as good as the All-American I ordered.

I also used our snack credits at Everything Pop on various junk food; mostly Minnie's Bake Shop stuff (which I haven't been all that thrilled with when eating them).

Finally the time came to head over to the DME stop. My parents and sister didn't have to be there until 1:45 because their flight was a little later. Once on the bus I started tweeting furiously.

9/12/2009 1:30 PM EDT On the DME bus back to the airport :( cleaned out the snack credits at the Pop gift shop. One Little Spark playing on the bus.

9/12/2009 1:32 PM EDT Do have to say that DME is insanely easy. Unless you're planning on going elsewhere there's no need to rent a car.

Here's where the idea for this report originated:
9/12/2009 1:33 PM EDT Full trip report will be coming after getting home. Thinking it's going to be a "Twitter recap" where I expound on the tweets.

9/12/2009 1:35 PM EDT Just passed the WDW entrance. We are officially off-property. :(

The video on the way back, while one long advertisement for WDW and DVC and DCL was still nice.

9/12/2009 2:11 PM EDT Main st electrical parade playing as we pull up to the terminal. Going to wait to go through security until my parents & sister get here.

9/12/2009 2:11 PM EDT They didn't have to be at DME until 1:45.

During all of this, I was also checking various sources to see what was going on at the D23 Expo. The big news:

9/12/2009 2:22 PM EDT RT @loumongello Jay Rasulo at D23Expo: Fantastlyland in WDW expansion is TRUE!!

Hailey and I were wandering around the airport lobby and the WDW Earport while my wife sat with our carry-ons (she wanted to sit and relax).

9/12/2009 2:32 PM EDT At the airport... http://twitpic.com/hgxn3

My parents eventually showed up, and I went with my mom to the Earport to find a last minute souvenir for my grandmother while my dad went to the Kennedy Space Center shop to find something for his brother.

Finally, we gathered our stuff and headed through security. No problems this time, just a big hassle as security usually is.

9/12/2009 3:44 PM EDT Sitting by the gate waiting to board the plane; flight leaves at 4:25.

Apparently I tweeted about the print; it was bothering me a bit at the time:
9/12/2009 3:51 PM EDT Strange thing: at art of Disney you can order prints "on demand"; at DL they're ready in about an hour but at WDW they must be shipped home.

9/12/2009 3:54 PM EDT Didn't see the refurbed hall of presidents; I would have liked to but interest was lacking in the rest of the family. Maybe next time.

My interest wasn't lacking, but everyone else's was.

Finally, they call for boarding and we say goodbye to my parents. We once again had A boarding passes, so we got nice seats.

9/12/2009 4:18 PM EDT Sitting in the plane at the gate. Switching to airplane mode.

The flight was uneventful, and in an hour and a half or so we were back in Houston

Coming up: Issues on the way home and epilogue (no Ann, I'm not done! *evil laugh*)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter