The Trip That Almost Wasn't - December '09 (We are BACK!!!! TR to start soon)

GUESS WHAT!!!

Chris and I are seriously talking about DVC!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

To all of my DVC member friends: I need information please! I'm so confused. I especially had no idea about the annual dues!?!? HELP!! I ordered the DVD from Disney just a few minutes ago but I know it will take every bit of 2 weeks to get here so I figured I could beg for help here. I'm sure it will be a while before we actually buy in but I want to get as much information as I can now so I know when exactly we'll be able to buy in.

I can't tell you how excited I am!! Chris has basically already said yes to it. He likes the idea of having our vacations paid for for the next 45 years :laughing::rolleyes::cheer2:
HOLY CRAP! Will you adopt me?
yay Nikki is here too!!! :woohoo: Slacker or no slacker I'm glad you are here :thumbsup2

:laughing: yeah he looked that way pretty much our whole trip last year.

Yeah I cried at least 3 times last year at WDW in September. Then I had 2 melt downs at MK in March when I went for the day. :sad2:

Carla, what are we going to do with you? Why in the world are you having meltdowns in Disney?:confused3

GUESS WHAT!!!

Chris and I are seriously talking about DVC!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

To all of my DVC member friends: I need information please! I'm so confused. I especially had no idea about the annual dues!?!? HELP!! I ordered the DVD from Disney just a few minutes ago but I know it will take every bit of 2 weeks to get here so I figured I could beg for help here. I'm sure it will be a while before we actually buy in but I want to get as much information as I can now so I know when exactly we'll be able to buy in.

I can't tell you how excited I am!! Chris has basically already said yes to it. He likes the idea of having our vacations paid for for the next 45 years :laughing::rolleyes::cheer2:

I first want to say -- woo hoo!!! I'll write more in the next post.

How about on Day 3 you stop by a DVC booth and take a tour? That way you'll have lots of info to think about. Disney is absolutley NOT pushy...you won't get bombarded to buy right then and you may even be able to convert your December trip into a DVC trip.

HOLY CRAP! Will you adopt me?

Carla, what are we going to do with you? Why in the world are you having meltdowns in Disney?:confused3

:rotfl: gladly! Come on down to Disney with us :goodvibes

:sad2: Girl I don't know. In March I cried because I broke my camera and missed Chris and just wanted to go home. I was in rug rat hell trying to help my friend with her new baby and 2 other kids. Then last September.....*sigh* it was just bad :sad2:

I first want to say -- woo hoo!!! I'll write more in the next post.

How about on Day 3 you stop by a DVC booth and take a tour? That way you'll have lots of info to think about. Disney is absolutley NOT pushy...you won't get bombarded to buy right then and you may even be able to convert your December trip into a DVC trip.

haha I told Chris what you said about stopping by a DVC booth on day 3 and he agreed to it!! He said we can't aford it right now, per say (we'll see when we're down there :rolleyes1) but we can at least get the information :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:hehehe :) What is your "home" resort? I forget!

I am fashionably late. :snooty:

:rotfl2: Great start Carla!
No trip ~ boo.
X-mas trip ~ yeah!
Losing your deposit ~ booooooo.
BFF trip ~ yeah! yeah!
DVC ~ triple yeah! :yay::yay::yay:

No trip ~ boo.
X-mas trip ~ yeah!
BFF trip ~ yeah! yeah!

Better to be fassionably late than not show up at all!

:rotfl: I love your responses to everything. I'm for sure doing a triple YAY about DVC for sure!!!! I never thought I could talk seriously to Chris about DVC and him agree so boy am I ever pleasantly surprised :dance3:

:rotfl: gladly! Come on down to Disney with us :goodvibes

:sad2: Girl I don't know. In March I cried because I broke my camera and missed Chris and just wanted to go home. I was in rug rat hell trying to help my friend with her new baby and 2 other kids. Then last September.....*sigh* it was just bad :sad2:

haha I told Chris what you said about stopping by a DVC booth on day 3 and he agreed to it!! He said we can't aford it right now, per say (we'll see when we're down there :rolleyes1) but we can at least get the information :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:hehehe :) What is your "home" resort? I forget!
WHAA?? Girl, you gotta learn how to be away from the hubby without missing him and wanting to go home. Especially when you're in Disney for crying out loud!:lmao: In Disney and want to go home, are you a crazy woman? Do you need drugs? And if so, what kind?

Rug rat hell...:lmao::lmao::lmao:!!! I can totally relate there. That is so why I waited until my kids were older and a little more self sufficient to go to Disney in the first place. I made the mistake of taking a friend's whiny child and let's just say, I'll never make that mistake again.

No trip ~ boo.
X-mas trip ~ yeah!
BFF trip ~ yeah! yeah!

You really are a woman of few words, aren't ya?

GUESS WHAT!!!

OK, here's the deal with DVC. If you can say YES to all of these questions (or at least most), then DVC is right for you and what in the world are you waiting for???

1) Do you plan to travel to WDW, Hawaii, DL, Hilton Head or Vero Beach at least every 3 years, preferably every 1-2 years?

These are the DVC resorts (yes, you can go to over 500+ places in the world, but you get your most value by staying with in DVC).

2) Can you afford the initial cost and the annual dues? A "full share" (approx 165 points) will cost about $17K or so. You can finance this or pay in whole.

You can also purchase via Resale companies (not thru Disney and there are reputable companies) and then you can purchase either less points and/or cheaper points. You can't buy into BLT but all the others are up for sale. This may be a good way to go, esp if you just want to get a small contract (i.e., 50 pts) to try it out. You can always add on points later.

DVC is a much better deal if you can pay for it outright and not borrow $ to pay for it.

Annual dues are fees that you pay yearly to cover the maintenance/upgrade costs of your resort. They are so much per point. Each resort is different. Animal Kingdom is one of the highest since their resort is more complex with animals and all. BLT is one of the lowest since they don't have much land (it's a high-rise which is easier to maintain).

Long-term: If you use all your points each year for the life of the contract (50 years, approx), then the cost of your DVC vacations would come out to like $500-800/for a week for a 1br and about $200-400/week for a studio (NOTE: This is a really, really rough estimate and you should do the math yourself ... don't rely on me and my numbers...it's just a ballpark calculation!)

Now remember this is for a DELUXE room that normally would sell for $250-800 a NIGHT!

The first trip we took was a 2BR at BCV...I went on-line and saw that our stay would have cost us over $3000...right there was 1/6th of our initial investment. Then our 2nd trip the cash rate would have been $1800...so in just 3-4 more trips, DVC would have already paid for itself. (Now I never would normally have paid the rack rate so it may not be a good true comparison, but I like to think of it that way).

3) Can you plan your vacations in advance? pref 11 months, but generally before 7 months? (Although it is possible to get ressies for less than 7 months -- I did! -- you may have very limited availability.)

4) Can you organize and plan your points? Someone will need to keep track of your points so you don't let them expire. Points are good for one year, although you can "bank" and "borrow" your points into another year.

Example: You buy 50 points at SSR in 2008 and don't use them in '08 but bank them into 2009. In 2009 you get another 50 pts. You also take 50 pts from your 2010 allotment. Now you have 150 pts and can vacation in 2009.

5) Are you uncomfortable in a value resort and perhaps even a moderate resort? Do you want or need a Deluxe resort with all their amenities? Do you need more room for future kids, relatives and friends?

A 1br, although it costs more points than a studio, has a full kitchen, a washer/dryer, whirlpool tub, king size bed, 2 tvs, 2 rooms (main room and bedroom).

A studio is slightly bigger than a moderate room but has a kitchenette (microwave, refrigerator, toaster, dishes, etc)

Then there are 2BR and Grand Villa (3 br) options as well.

6) Can you afford to go to WDW more often? This may seem silly but you have to consider driving, flights, taxi, rental cars, food, tickets, souvenirs, tipping, etc.

Although it is really nice to know you don't have to pay for a room ever again, you do have a lot more costs.

====
OK that should be enough to make you go :confused:. Let me know what specific questions you have.

If you do take the tour or buy, tell them that I helped your out/sent you!! Sometimes they offer existing members a small gift card for helping out.

WHAA?? Girl, you gotta learn how to be away from the hubby without missing him and wanting to go home. Especially when you're in Disney for crying out loud!:lmao: In Disney and wanted to go home, are you a crazy woman? Do you need drugs? And if so, what kind?

Rug rat hell...:lmao::lmao::lmao:!!! I can totally relate there. That is so why I waited until my kids were older and a little more self sufficient to go to Disney in the first place. I made the mistake of taking a friend's whiny child and let's just say, I'll never make that mistake again.

:rotfl: Well, I mostly was just overly tired.

heh yeah, whiny kids + Disney = a bad time. I refuse to go to WDW with other people's children. At least with my own kids I can discipline them the way I see fit. But yeah I totally see why you waited until your kids got older to start taking them to WDW

:rotfl: Well, I mostly was just overly tired.

heh yeah, whiny kids + Disney = a bad time. I refuse to go to WDW with other people's children. At least with my own kids I can discipline them the way I see fit. But yeah I totally see why you waited until your kids got older to start taking them to WDW

Damn you quoted me with my mistake still in there before I corrected myself. In my defense, I took two fioricet tonight.:rolleyes1

We own a full contract at SSR and a smaller contract at AKV.

We've been to BC and AKV so far. Going to BLT in November.

So far BC and AKV have been phenomenal. I never would have been able to afford BC or AKV (Savanna Room) for 7-9 nights. But with DVC, we can.

It really is owning a piece of the magic. :wizard:

OK, here's the deal with DVC. If you can say YES to all of these questions (or at least most), then DVC is right for you and what in the world are you waiting for???

1) Do you plan to travel to WDW, Hawaii, DL, Hilton Head or Vero Beach at least every 3 years, preferably every 1-2 years?

These are the DVC resorts (yes, you can go to over 500+ places in the world, but you get your most value by staying with in DVC).

2) Can you afford the initial cost and the annual dues? A "full share" (approx 165 points) will cost about $17K or so. You can finance this or pay in whole.

You can also purchase via Resale companies (not thru Disney and there are reputable companies) and then you can purchase either less points and/or cheaper points. You can't buy into BLT but all the others are up for sale. This may be a good way to go, esp if you just want to get a small contract (i.e., 50 pts) to try it out. You can always add on points later.

DVC is a much better deal if you can pay for it outright and not borrow $ to pay for it.

Annual dues are fees that you pay yearly to cover the maintenance/upgrade costs of your resort. They are so much per point. Each resort is different. Animal Kingdom is one of the highest since their resort is more complex with animals and all. BLT is one of the lowest since they don't have much land (it's a high-rise which is easier to maintain).

Long-term: If you use all your points each year for the life of the contract (50 years, approx), then the cost of your DVC vacations would come out to like $500-800/for a week for a 1br and about $200-400/week for a studio (NOTE: This is a really, really rough estimate and you should do the math yourself ... don't rely on me and my numbers...it's just a ballpark calculation!)

Now remember this is for a DELUXE room that normally would sell for $250-800 a NIGHT!

The first trip we took was a 2BR at BCV...I went on-line and saw that our stay would have cost us over $3000...right there was 1/6th of our initial investment. Then our 2nd trip the cash rate would have been $1800...so in just 3-4 more trips, DVC would have already paid for itself. (Now I never would normally have paid the rack rate so it may not be a good true comparison, but I like to think of it that way).

3) Can you plan your vacations in advance? pref 11 months, but generally before 7 months? (Although it is possible to get ressies for less than 7 months -- I did! -- you may have very limited availability.)

4) Can you organize and plan your points? Someone will need to keep track of your points so you don't let them expire. Points are good for one year, although you can "bank" and "borrow" your points into another year.

Example: You buy 50 points at SSR in 2008 and don't use them in '08 but bank them into 2009. In 2009 you get another 50 pts. You also take 50 pts from your 2010 allotment. Now you have 150 pts and can vacation in 2009.

5) Are you uncomfortable in a value resort and perhaps even a moderate resort? Do you want or need a Deluxe resort with all their amenities? Do you need more room for future kids, relatives and friends?

A 1br, although it costs more points than a studio, has a full kitchen, a washer/dryer, whirlpool tub, king size bed, 2 tvs, 2 rooms (main room and bedroom).

A studio is slightly bigger than a moderate room but has a kitchenette (microwave, refrigerator, toaster, dishes, etc)

Then there are 2BR and Grand Villa (3 br) options as well.

6) Can you afford to go to WDW more often? This may seem silly but you have to consider driving, flights, taxi, rental cars, food, tickets, souvenirs, tipping, etc.

Although it is really nice to know you don't have to pay for a room ever again, you do have a lot more costs.

====
OK that should be enough to make you go :confused:. Let me know what specific questions you have.

If you do take the tour or buy, tell them that I helped your out/sent you!! Sometimes they offer existing members a small gift card for helping out.

Wow thanks for all that information girl!! I totally appreciate it. I did answer yes to all those questions and I read it all to Chris and he's saying that we should probably wait until 2012 (we'll have his truck paid off and our signature loans paid off by then) so we can afford it easier. We'll see exactly what the DVC people say when we talk to them next weekend but as of right now it will be another 2 years before we buy into it but it looks like we will for sure buy into it. Which makes me :woohoo: even though I still have to wait. DVC is a dream of mine and buying into it means I will be staying deluxe for the rest of my life! Well, not the rest of my life but until I'm too old to really care :rotfl: Plus that will still be before we have children so once we have kids they can have their room and we can have ours on every trip and that will be great. It will be like staying in an apartment. It all just sounds so great and I'm totally excited!! :yay: Two years will fly by for sure!!

I do have one more question though. What exactly are the "closing costs" for when you initially buy into DVC?? That totally confuses me too :confused3

Damn you quoted me with my mistake still in there before I corrected myself. In my defense, I took two fioricet tonight.:rolleyes1

hahaha I'm speedy tonight. And I didn't notice your mistake.

We own a full contract at SSR and a smaller contract at AKV.

We've been to BC and AKV so far. Going to BLT in November.

So far BC and AKV have been phenomenal. I never would have been able to afford BC or AKV (Savanna Room) for 7-9 nights. But with DVC, we can.

It really is owning a piece of the magic. :wizard:

That is so awesome! Yeah, w/o DVC I will never be able to stay Deluxe. But for the price of a small car I can own into Disney for 50 years?? Heck yeah!! :woohoo: I'm sure by the time I take vacation in the first 3 or 4 years it will have paid for itself since just staying at polly would be at least $3000 for just one week. We're totally sold on the whole DVC idea....just gotta be able to afford it :laughing: it will happen though. Just gotta wait a couple more years probably.

Wow thanks for all that information girl!! I totally appreciate it. I did answer yes to all those questions and I read it all to Chris and he's saying that we should probably wait until 2012 (we'll have his truck paid off and our signature loans paid off by then) so we can afford it easier. We'll see exactly what the DVC people say when we talk to them next weekend but as of right now it will be another 2 years before we buy into it but it looks like we will for sure buy into it. Which makes me :woohoo: even though I still have to wait. DVC is a dream of mine and buying into it means I will be staying deluxe for the rest of my life! Well, not the rest of my life but until I'm too old to really care :rotfl: Plus that will still be before we have children so once we have kids they can have their room and we can have ours on every trip and that will be great. It will be like staying in an apartment. It all just sounds so great and I'm totally excited!! :yay: Two years will fly by for sure!!

I do have one more question though. What exactly are the "closing costs" for when you initially buy into DVC?? That totally confuses me too :confused3

closing costs were minimal...that's just a fancy way to pay for all the paperwork, deed, legal costs etc. If I remember it was just a couple hundred $$ ($300?). Definitely ask when you do the tour.

Oh, I'm soooooo excited for you!!

When we did the math, it was definitely a good deal for us. and you "hit the nail on the head" -- we want our girls to be in their own room with a door in between ours. And not just for :rolleyes1 but simply b/c we need a break from them, they go to bed early and we aren't ready yet or we want to watch something on tv before bed.

closing costs were minimal...that's just a fancy way to pay for all the paperwork, deed, legal costs etc. If I remember it was just a couple hundred $$ ($300?). Definitely ask when you do the tour.

Oh, I'm soooooo excited for you!!

When we did the math, it was definitely a good deal for us. and you "hit the nail on the head" -- we want our girls to be in their own room with a door in between ours. And not just for :rolleyes1 but simply b/c we need a break from them, they go to bed early and we aren't ready yet or we want to watch something on tv before bed.

Ah okay the closing cost thing was freaking us out a bit :laughing: Thinking it was something like house closing costs. I understand now. And I will for sure ask when we talk to the DVC rep next weekend. PM me your name (last name really, I already know what your first name is :laughing:) so we can tell them who gave us info and you can get credit for it :thumbsup2

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It would be nice to have the comforts of home for sure and still be on disney property. The only other way we could get that is if we pay out the booty for deluxe or stay off property (which I HATE doing). I really hope these next couple of years go by FAST 'cause I want this so bad.

Oh, and yes, that deluxe thing is r-e-a-l-l-y nice!:thumbsup2

:woohoo::woohoo:

Found you! :cool1:

WOW, I'm so excited for you Carla :cool1: I know you'll have a great trip...you really do deserve it!

DVC = :woohoo::yay::dance3: That is awesome! I love having Marshay around because she covers all the questions! I totally agree with everything she said about DVC. We joined in 2007 and really enjoy the accomodations!

GUESS WHAT!!!

That is so exciting!!!

Like Nikki said, can you adopt me too :lmao:

Yay to Marshay for explaing it so well. she should be a DVC Spokesperson :thumbsup2

2012 will be here before you know it. Sounds like a great deal to me :wizard:

Your itinerary looks great!!

I thikn doing 3 parks in on day sounds like fun...I will be curious to see how it all turns out

Can you let me know how T Rex is? I am considering making ressies for that in December, but am afraid it wil be too loud for Trent

Only other problem is convincing Steve to go, as he said it is going to just like Rainforest Cafe, which he hates..

Good times :rotfl2:

Found you! :cool1:

WOW, I'm so excited for you Carla :cool1: I know you'll have a great trip...you really do deserve it!

DVC = :woohoo::yay::dance3: That is awesome! I love having Marshay around because she covers all the questions! I totally agree with everything she said about DVC. We joined in 2007 and really enjoy the accomodations!

Thanks Betsy. You are so sweet :goodvibes

hehe I knew you and Marsha would make the positives of DVC even better. I just hope these next couple of years fly by so we can buy into it and have a for sure vacation every year. Being able to do those Disney Destination vacations is a dream for sure. I think I'll be taking my Mom on the over seas vacations since Chris won't go. It's also been a dream of mine to be able to take my Mom and Dad on vacation so now I will be able to do that with DVC. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I'm beyond happy about it but impatient :rolleyes:

That is so exciting!!!

Like Nikki said, can you adopt me too :lmao:

Yay to Marshay for explaing it so well. she should be a DVC Spokesperson :thumbsup2

2012 will be here before you know it. Sounds like a great deal to me :wizard:

:rotfl::rotfl: oh I'd adopt you and Trent in a heart beat girl!

Yes I agree Marsha should be a DVC Spokes person. She's been such a huge help!!

Yeah I'm sure it will be. It will be so worth it.

Your itinerary looks great!!

I thikn doing 3 parks in on day sounds like fun...I will be curious to see how it all turns out

Can you let me know how T Rex is? I am considering making ressies for that in December, but am afraid it wil be too loud for Trent

Only other problem is convincing Steve to go, as he said it is going to just like Rainforest Cafe, which he hates..

Good times :rotfl2:

Thanks girl. You are always so positive when it comes to everything Disney. I think 3 parks is do-able. Especially since we really only have to drive to one from the other. That is the longest thing. The monorail will make things easy between MK and EPCOT.

Oh I will give a full review. I think it will be great! I've only heard good things about it so far.

If it is good I hope you can convince Steve to go. I don't think it will be like Rainforest. I think it will be better! Steve needs to think of what Trent will have fun doing and make some sacrifices on things he may not enjoy like the loudness of Rainforest. I think that's why kiddos love it so much. Makes it more real.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter