The THYROID Thread

I really don't understand this? 20 years ago they told me I had to be in ISOLATION in the hospital for a WEEK! One of the many reasons I did NOT go through with it, but my situation was different.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I really don't understand this? 20 years ago they told me I had to be in ISOLATION in the hospital for a WEEK! One of the many reasons I did NOT go through with it, but my situation was different.

From what I am gathering on the internet it seems it depends on how environmentally friendly each state and country is. Germany makes you stay in the hospital for I think 3 days. Florida I think is one or two nights. IL is go home see ya wouldn't want to be ya. lol I am still researching. To be honest I would rather be in the hospital and isolated than risk my home and family to radiation. Then again I can not imagine how much that bill would be?

Ang

From what I am gathering on the internet it seems it depends on how environmentally friendly each state and country is. Germany makes you stay in the hospital for I think 3 days. Florida I think is one or two nights. IL is go home see ya wouldn't want to be ya. lol I am still researching. To be honest I would rather be in the hospital and isolated than risk my home and family to radiation. Then again I can not imagine how much that bill would be?

Ang

I was in NJ. Again, we are talking 20 years ago. The hospital isolation idea gave me the creeps because they said they leave your food at the door and visitors can wave through the window. No contact with anyone. Hard to believe one state would treat you like a radioactive leper and another tell you flush twice and be careful!

Sorry- I need to figure out why I'm not getting regular updates on this thread. Somehow I seem to have changed it to a daily digest.

Anyway- As far as radiation goes, they said for me to sit in the back right hand side of the car on the way home so as far as DH as possible. There is NO way I could have driven myself when I was that hypo. They said he had to sleep 10 feet away from me and use a separate bathroom if possible, still flushing twice though, and I think I used disposable utensils for a week. They said animals weren't a problem unless they weren't fully grown.

Food- when I was hypo DH was just desperate to find anything I would eat; I really wanted dairy (cheese, ice cream, etc) which was totally off limits. We did guacamole to try and mimic that creamy texture along with no salt tortilla chips from Trader Joes. (If you are that remote you may not have TJ's but maybe you can make tortilla chips at home?) We also did home made salsa and DH made sorbet for me from fresh strawberries and sugar. The no salt ketchup was Heinz brand and we just stirred non-iodized salt into it (it's terrible otherwise.) LMP is right, sodium as an ingredient is not the same as salt. Food cravings weren't as horrible with the thyrogen but I had a lot of craisins on celery with no-salt peanut butter. I had a lot of 'Lunch in Foil' from the LID cookbook, because it was hard for me to know if chicken in a regular grocery store had been salted (if you read the label they mostly say 'broth' and that could be salt.) A friend bought a whole chicken from whole foods and made me chicken soup for the second round, which was good because I was so nauseous I couldn't keep much else down for a week.

LMP- I am definitely praying without ceasing, like I never have! Appreciate your prayers!

I was in NJ. Again, we are talking 20 years ago. The hospital isolation idea gave me the creeps because they said they leave your food at the door and visitors can wave through the window. No contact with anyone. Hard to believe one state would treat you like a radioactive leper and another tell you flush twice and be careful!

It does seem odd doesn't it. I did see a utube video of a lady in isolation with the RAI but I am not sure what state she was in. In her room there was a wall so many feet from her and her guests could come and sit in a seat behind the wall and talk to her. That is where they put her food as well. I think she was there 3 nights. It is odd how one state could care less and another goes over protective. I think an inbetween is a good idea.

Sorry- I need to figure out why I'm not getting regular updates on this thread. Somehow I seem to have changed it to a daily digest.

Anyway- As far as radiation goes, they said for me to sit in the back right hand side of the car on the way home so as far as DH as possible. There is NO way I could have driven myself when I was that hypo. They said he had to sleep 10 feet away from me and use a separate bathroom if possible, still flushing twice though, and I think I used disposable utensils for a week. They said animals weren't a problem unless they weren't fully grown.

Food- when I was hypo DH was just desperate to find anything I would eat; I really wanted dairy (cheese, ice cream, etc) which was totally off limits. We did guacamole to try and mimic that creamy texture along with no salt tortilla chips from Trader Joes. (If you are that remote you may not have TJ's but maybe you can make tortilla chips at home?) We also did home made salsa and DH made sorbet for me from fresh strawberries and sugar. The no salt ketchup was Heinz brand and we just stirred non-iodized salt into it (it's terrible otherwise.) LMP is right, sodium as an ingredient is not the same as salt. Food cravings weren't as horrible with the thyrogen but I had a lot of craisins on celery with no-salt peanut butter. I had a lot of 'Lunch in Foil' from the LID cookbook, because it was hard for me to know if chicken in a regular grocery store had been salted (if you read the label they mostly say 'broth' and that could be salt.) A friend bought a whole chicken from whole foods and made me chicken soup for the second round, which was good because I was so nauseous I couldn't keep much else down for a week.

LMP- I am definitely praying without ceasing, like I never have! Appreciate your prayers!

I think I am going to feel better keeping the dog away for at least 3-4 days. I believe I was told 3 days away from everyone. I will see how I feel when I am that hypo and driving. My husband is starting a new job and I don't think they are going to be too thrilled if he has to take time off so I don't know what we will do. I wish we were closer to the hospital.

I will have to make a trip to TJ's which is a couple hours away when I can before I get really bad into the hypo. I can just imgine my walking mindlessly around the store not knowing what I came for. lol I am going to have to make some spaghetti sauce here soon before my mind is too gone on how to make it. I did find the no salt ketchup and non iodized salt. I mentioned the sodium for the Matzoh crackers I found it showed no sodium and the only ingredients showing were flour and water. I am assuming that even though it does not state unsalted on the box that they are unsalted if only listing those two ingredients and no sodium. When I searched unsalted matzohs the ones I bought did come up on Amazon. I am not one who cares for salt on or in anything so I have a feeling the non salted ketchup and stuff will be fine for my pallet. I wish they would test my iodine levels and I might ask because I have a feeling I might not have a very high level anyway. When you buy deboned chicken breasts at the store they put broth on them? That seems silly. lol I never knew that. Thanks for all the tips. Any other TJ's food that works?

Singing mom- they are talking about the Low Iodine Diet for cancer patients.

Tests came back 99% for Down's. I'm pretty heartbroken. My DH is unfazed though. Not much rattles him.

Your baby and family are still in my prayers, I didn't forget about you.

When you buy deboned chicken breasts at the store they put broth on them? That seems silly. lol I never knew that. Thanks for all the tips. Any other TJ's food that works?

Most chicken is put in a "solution" that is a sodium solution. They soak it in that before packaging. The "safe" chicken is sold at Whole Foods. Empire, which is a kosher brand, is also safe to use (and it's good chicken too!!).

Most chicken is put in a "solution" that is a sodium solution. They soak it in that before packaging. The "safe" chicken is sold at Whole Foods. Empire, which is a kosher brand, is also safe to use (and it's good chicken too!!).

Our closest Whole Foods is many hours away sadly. I guess I will be meat free for the week too. :mad: I wonder if that is why the endo in this area doesn't bother to suggest the LID diet since unless you are going with strictly fruits and veges there is nothing else for you in the area?

I did find out something wonderful today that all Trader Joe brand foods in their store use uniodized salt in anything with salt. I will have to hit up TJ and maybe they will have their own brand of fresh chicken? I will just have to make sure there is not red #3, sea salt or any dairy in their brand product. :cool1:

Honestly I did not stress out abut the meat. I didnt even talk to the butcher at the local grocery store.

I was just told to not buy the prepackaged chicken stuff that had sauce with it.

I know they are aware of meat prep stuff that is why the limit you to 3 or 4 ounces for those 2 meals a day.

Its not a no iodine diet, its a low iodine diet. So I think its standard for the reg. meat consumption to be like that. You have to have protein etc.

Oh and I am going to the endo next monday. oh joy!

Our closest Whole Foods is many hours away sadly. I guess I will be meat free for the week too. :mad: I wonder if that is why the endo in this area doesn't bother to suggest the LID diet since unless you are going with strictly fruits and veges there is nothing else for you in the area?

I did find out something wonderful today that all Trader Joe brand foods in their store use uniodized salt in anything with salt. I will have to hit up TJ and maybe they will have their own brand of fresh chicken? I will just have to make sure there is not red #3, sea salt or any dairy in their brand product. :cool1:

Look, I never shop at Whole Foods. Too far and too expensive. My TJs does carry the Empire brand. Also, many regular grocery stores carry the "natural" line of meat, sometimes organic, and it is without the solution. Sometimes they call it "air chilled" or something like that. It's a bit more expensive; however, I do think it does taste better.

Look, I never shop at Whole Foods. Too far and too expensive. My TJs does carry the Empire brand. Also, many regular grocery stores carry the "natural" line of meat, sometimes organic, and it is without the solution. Sometimes they call it "air chilled" or something like that. It's a bit more expensive; however, I do think it does taste better.

Our regular grocery stores sell Empire. They also have separate Kosher sections in the butcher department. Of course, I am in the NY/NJ area. I have never lived in a less populated area. Sometimes I wish I did, then I think how spoiled we are with "conveniences"! Lol

Our regular grocery stores sell Empire. They also have separate Kosher sections in the butcher department. Of course, I am in the NY/NJ area. I have never lived in a less populated area. Sometimes I wish I did, then I think how spoiled we are with "conveniences"! Lol

Living in VA, it's really hit or miss with Empire. Our Wegman's sells a very small selection. They used to have a whole kosher section but apparently it's not sought after enough. TJs is the only place around here that seems to carry a big selection of Empire. I can see where other parts of the country wouldn't have it all.

So glad I found this thread! I need to go back and read thorugh it but I was just (finally) correctly diagnosed after more than a year of tests and problems. I have hypothyroidism and endometriosis and am just getting started on the journey to "better". It's so comforting knowing I have a place I can turn to for more information and understanding from others who have been there. :grouphug:

So glad I found this thread! I need to go back and read thorugh it but I was just (finally) correctly diagnosed after more than a year of tests and problems. I have hypothyroidism and endometriosis and am just getting started on the journey to "better". It's so comforting knowing I have a place I can turn to for more information and understanding from others who have been there. :grouphug:

welcome. Glad you finally got the right diag. Hopeyou get to feeling like yourself soon.

vent coming - oh yeah, this deserves its own post.

I just saw on the internet that my wonderful, yeah right, who are we kidding here. The surgeon who almost killed me with his surgical mistake or at least whatever person was in the or with him etc....

well...he is one of the tops doctors here where I live. WTH????

This is a really prestigious award. Umm, I cant believe they gave this to him. He is one of several in 2 counties. Not just because of me. I know what he did to a lady at my church. He just kept chopping her up when she had cancer too (different kind) and she was suffering etc. She was old and I didnt even mention to her that he almost killed me. I said oh you will love him etc. yeah right.

Hmm, if I have to go back to this guy I guess I will mention that to him. Honestly I hope I never see him again, but I know my dh doesnt want to drive all the way into NYC if things ever change in the future etc.

Right now I am :headache: and :confused3

First I will start with some bad news for those on Levothroid there are reports that Forrest the manufacturer is dicontinuing the medication. I guess they can't make enough money off it so screw those who need it. http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/NotAvailable/Bulletin.aspx?id=1041
Levothyroxine (Levothroid) Oral Tablets
[11 July 2013]

Products Affected - Description
Levothroid tablets, Forest
25 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1320-01)- discontinued
25 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1320-00)- discontinued
50 mcg, 100 count ottle (NDC 00456-1321-01)- discontinued
50 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1321-00)- discontinued
75 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1322-01)- discontinued
75 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1322-00)- discontinued
88 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1329-01)- discontinued
88 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1329-00)- discontinued
100 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1323-01)- discontinued
100 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1323-00)- discontinued
112 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1330-01)- discontinued
112 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1330-00)- discontinued
125 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1324-01)- discontinued
125 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1324-00)- discontinued
137 mcg, 100 coun bottle (NDC 00456-1331-01)- discontinued
137 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1331-00)- discontinued
150 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1325-01)- discontinued
150 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1325-00)- discontinued
175 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1326-01)- discontinued
175 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1326-00)- discontinued
200 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1327-01)- discontinued
200 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1327-00)- discontinued
300 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1328-01)- discontinued
300 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1328-00)- discontinued

Reason for the Shortage
Forest discontinued Levothroid tablets in July 2013 because contract manufacturer could no longer supply product.

Available Products
There are multiple levothyroxine and AB-rated levothyroxine oral tablets available.

Estimated Resupply Dates
Levothroid tablets are discontinued.

Related Shortages

Thanks for the news on the Empire chicken and I guess that could be the one thing I choose not to sweat if I can't find it.

LMP, That is awful about your sugeon and I bet those who work with him know of his flaws too. Although we all make mistakes if we continue to make them over and over there is somthing seriously wrong especially if we are a surgeon.

Dannirose, Welcome I hope you find the info you need here.

Now I need to say I can not believe I have only been off my levothyroxine for a week and I already feel like the walking dead and I think I am becoming depressed because I just want to cry thinking of feeling worse than I do. I just needed to vent that to people who have been there.

Ang

Just found another article about all thyroid med prices going up due to these issues. http://thyroid.about.com/b/2013/08/...tinues-synthroid-and-tirosint-prices-rise.htm

First I will start with some bad news for those on Levothroid there are reports that Forrest the manufacturer is dicontinuing the medication. I guess they can't make enough money off it so screw those who need it. http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/NotAvailable/Bulletin.aspx?id=1041
Levothyroxine (Levothroid) Oral Tablets
[11 July 2013]

Products Affected - Description
Levothroid tablets, Forest
25 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1320-01)- discontinued
25 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1320-00)- discontinued
50 mcg, 100 count ottle (NDC 00456-1321-01)- discontinued
50 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1321-00)- discontinued
75 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1322-01)- discontinued
75 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1322-00)- discontinued
88 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1329-01)- discontinued
88 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1329-00)- discontinued
100 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1323-01)- discontinued
100 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1323-00)- discontinued
112 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1330-01)- discontinued
112 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1330-00)- discontinued
125 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1324-01)- discontinued
125 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1324-00)- discontinued
137 mcg, 100 coun bottle (NDC 00456-1331-01)- discontinued
137 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1331-00)- discontinued
150 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1325-01)- discontinued
150 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1325-00)- discontinued
175 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1326-01)- discontinued
175 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1326-00)- discontinued
200 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1327-01)- discontinued
200 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1327-00)- discontinued
300 mcg, 100 count bottle (NDC 00456-1328-01)- discontinued
300 mcg, 1000 count bottle (NDC 00456-1328-00)- discontinued

Reason for the Shortage
Forest discontinued Levothroid tablets in July 2013 because contract manufacturer could no longer supply product.

Available Products
There are multiple levothyroxine and AB-rated levothyroxine oral tablets available.

Estimated Resupply Dates
Levothroid tablets are discontinued.

Related Shortages

Thanks for the news on the Empire chicken and I guess that could be the one thing I choose not to sweat if I can't find it.

LMP, That is awful about your sugeon and I bet those who work with him know of his flaws too. Although we all make mistakes if we continue to make them over and over there is somthing seriously wrong especially if we are a surgeon.

Dannirose, Welcome I hope you find the info you need here.

Now I need to say I can not believe I have only been off my levothyroxine for a week and I already feel like the walking dead and I think I am becoming depressed because I just want to cry thinking of feeling worse than I do. I just needed to vent that to people who have been there.

Ang

Just found another article about all thyroid med prices going up due to these issues. http://thyroid.about.com/b/2013/08/...tinues-synthroid-and-tirosint-prices-rise.htm

Interesting. I was under the impression that Levothroid had been discontinued years ago. I used to take it but there was a recall and so I was put on Synthroid. It came back out but I was doing okay on Synthroid so I didn't go back. Then I heard that you just couldn't get it. I know it wasn't available back in April when my Levoxyl was pulled.

This thyroid med stuff is getting pretty scary. I hear *internet* rumors that some of these manufacturers are pulling out because there is no money to be made in thyroid meds. They are cheap. I think they are looking for ways to produce them and make money. That's a shame. Don't know if it's true or not.

Well I am back from the endo

She said all the tests were good. Right now she said she is not too concerned about the tsh number increase. She said that she will recheck the tsh in 6 months as usual, but she said if the number goes up then she might have me take 1/2 of 1 pill once a week???? Has anyone done this? How would this even work out. I only get a 30 day supply at once from my ins. I guess she would have to write it for extra pills? She mentioned upping the dose to 175 and I said no, I did not feel good then (too many heart palpations and going crazy etc). So she has a plan if need be.

Big issues with weight, heart and shortness of breath. Figures. I am the only person still alive in my family, so why am I not surprised considering my parents and my sister died of heart related things.

In about 6 weeks from the rad. onc visit to her visit today I gained like another 8 or 10 lbs. I think. Very unsettling. They are thinking its fluid that I am retaining. I guess my heart is not pumping right etc? She didnt mention it but I am sure she is thinking it.

Well my medical student today made dh and I laugh. Of course not in front of her. She asked about our last name. Yeah, its a weird one. Everyone always asks about its cultural origin. Dh always just wants to say American. Anyway what made us giggle afterwards was how she was dressed. She had on a pretty short skirt. Lets just say glad she had the white coat over it, but the funniest was she had on these big white high heels and she kept clunking down the hallway. One time it looked like she was gonna fall out of them. We both said to each other she was inappropriately dressed but she was really sweet.

So the endo is getting me a good internist and then I am sure I will be seeing a cardiologist after that too. Oh what fun!!:) More invasive tests.

Well I think we are going to disney sept. 27 to oct. 3rd so we will work around it. I am trying to work something out with my cousin who will be there then. Hopefully I can see him for a day or two.

Micayla - thinking of you:hug: Prayers for you and wishing you all the best as always.

Check in when you can everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter