Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Well hey there Mr. Dan Murphy! I didn't know you were over here on the resort board! Just happened to see your name pop up on the news feed and it instantly made me smile. :) Hope you are well. :)
And hello to you also, Erika! :wave: News feed?? :scared1: :scratchin

This is about the only thread I post on here on the resort board. All is well here, thanks, hope with you all also. Any new starring roles for you and family? And that is starring roles, not Starring Rolls.

And hello to you also, Erika! :wave: News feed?? :scared1: :scratchin

This is about the only thread I post on here on the resort board. All is well here, thanks, hope with you all also. Any new starring roles for you and family? And that is starring roles, not Starring Rolls.

Yummmmm i could go for Starring Rolls right now! :D A nice Butterfinger Cupcake! :love:

Everything is good here, my youngest is headed to high school next month so I'm already planning my Florida retirement! :cloud9:

I'm in the process of booking a trip for April 2016 for my family, DH, DD7 and DD4. I am a teacher and the rates I was quoted for our trip our great, we could stay in an EP room at the dolphin for the cost of a standard swan room! My husband works in hospitality and is VERY picky about accommodations. Last trip we stayed at WL and he was very happy with it (he is looking for deluxe accommodations). I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the swan and dolphin, any thoughts? Thanks!

I think that the S/D actually have a more deluxe 'feel' to them than the WDW owned deluxes do! I prefer the Dolphin because I can just go downstairs to Picabu...vs walking over from the Swan. Yes, WL has some terrific theming, but in all reality, I tend to find I don't really notice the theming after a few days at a resort. My only issue with the S/D is housekeeping. I've had days when no one came, and other days when I have returned to my room to relax late afternoon, and housekeeping arrived around 4:30-5! I realize that you can't count on your room being serviced before noon, but it's a bit much to have them come knocking late afternoon!!! I've also had days when no water bottles were left...and other than wifi, that's the only thing I use out of the resort fee services!!!
I'm heading back to the Dolphin in two weeks...can't wait to get there!!!! Just love it...the pool is a ton of fun and one of my favorites at WDW. I need to get a couple of new books to bring with me and just plant myself out there!!!

Just a heads up to keep checking the rates as your vacation gets closer. We originally booked the week of August 9-15 teacher rate which was like 179 at the dolphin(booked in February 15). A few months later it was down to 167 and I just checked today and got 149. The triple A rate is identical to the teacher rate as well. I called and had it switched with no problems.

I'm in the process of booking a trip for April 2016 for my family, DH, DD7 and DD4. I am a teacher and the rates I was quoted for our trip our great, we could stay in an EP room at the dolphin for the cost of a standard swan room! My husband works in hospitality and is VERY picky about accommodations. Last trip we stayed at WL and he was very happy with it (he is looking for deluxe accommodations). I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the swan and dolphin, any thoughts? Thanks!

I honestly prefer the Swan. You'll have queen beds instead of double, plus all the rooms will be completely renovated.

We prefer the Swan, also. The queen beds are a plus, plus we prefer the smaller size of the hotel.
Having said that, we love being able to stop at the Splash Fountain on the way to our room after a day in the park and you can't do that at the Swan.
If there was just a way to combine the two wings....

We're looking forward to staying at the Swan this time. We have only stayed at the Dolphin,and love that hotel.
Thanks for reporting your rates. I'm encouraged that we may still get a lower rate by our dates!

For the life of me, I can't remember, does anyone know if I can buy larger containers of milk at Picabu...in the shop area? I don't want to have to buy a bunch of those little pint size containers. I like my cereal in the morning, and will be bringing it with me. Just need to know if I can buy the milk I need there, or if I have to head over to the Screendoor at BW!

For the life of me, I can't remember, does anyone know if I can buy larger containers of milk at Picabu...in the shop area? I don't want to have to buy a bunch of those little pint size containers. I like my cereal in the morning, and will be bringing it with me. Just need to know if I can buy the milk I need there, or if I have to head over to the Screendoor at BW!

I would love to know the answer also!!

I'm heading back to the Dolphin in two weeks...can't wait to get there!!!! Just love it...the pool is a ton of fun and one of my favorites at WDW. I need to get a couple of new books to bring with me and just plant myself out there!!!
this sounds about right!!! I want to do this too!

I just booked the Swan for spring break 2016! Used points on a deluxe room with balcony (slightly more points for balcony guarantee).
I'm debating the deluxe alcove instead, since this trip will be 10 nights. I'd like the extra space, but not sure. I read that all the rooms may not be renovated yet at the Swan, and prefer one with the newer design furnishings. Think I'll call the property directly to see if the alcove rooms are renovated as well.
Although it appears the Dolphin alcove rooms have more things I'd like (large wet bar and walk in closet), those won't be renovated yet. I feel the furnishings are looking tired there, so am avoiding the Dolphin as of yet.
Has anyone been to an alcove room recently? Was it renovated?
I'd also be giving up the guarantee of a balcony. I like having one for fresh air!
Booked early, since this year our spring break falls over the week before Easter (my friend just reminded me of that yesterday, so I realized I should book soon!).

This may be answered somewhere in the 70 pages or so, but are there any pool games for kids happening at the big pool similar to what they have on property?

2nd guessing our Dolphin res for December and looking for some input from those familiar with the BW area. Currently booked in a "resort view with balcony" which was described as an upgrade from the standard room when I booked but does not have any additional space, I believe the upgrade is the balcony. There will be 5 of us, 3 adults and 2 tweens (12 & 13). My first concern is the room being too crowded for us. On the plus side I don't expect to spend much time there...

I booked both the hotel and our air using points to try to make this a fairly inexpensive trip. The fees are adding up though for the hotel. 3rd adult in the room is $25/day = $125. Rollaway is $25/day = $125. Resort fee is $23/day = $115. Without DME I'll need to rent a car for each way to/from MCO that is approximately $100 including gas (cheaper than a shuttle for 5). Due to the parking fee I won't keep the car for the park days, my car rental reservations are to/from the CCC at Dolphin. Total hotel fees = $365 plus the use of 44k Spg points (5th night free deluxe room at 11K/night) and the rental car. We'll also need 3 Magic Bands since DD and I have our own from the last trip I'm sure everyone else will want one so there's another $39. So roughly $500 + 44K spg points. I'm comparing this to a discount room offer I got recently for CBR @ $173/night total for the 5 days = $978 plus I would keep the car for the 5 days if at CBR and drive to/from the parks = $150, total $1138.

Other option is offsite at something like Sheraton Visitana Villas 2 BR for $1k + Disney parking and magic bands $100... I'm not concerned about the FP+ 30 vs. 60 days perk and I'm not a "Disney Bubble" person.

Our plans are for 4 park days, 1 day in each park plus MVMCP after our day in AK. I really want to be in the Boardwalk area and love the idea of being able to walk to/from EP and DHS. Am I crazy to spend the 44K spg instead of an additional $640 and stay at CBR? Would love some feedback from those who have used points to stay at Dolphin and anyone who has stayed there with 5 people none of whom are under 5'3". Is it worth it just for the location? How crowded did the room reel? How easy is the walk to EP and DHS? Is entering through the IG a disadvantage at RD?

TIA

2nd guessing our Dolphin res for December and looking for some input from those familiar with the BW area. Currently booked in a "resort view with balcony" which was described as an upgrade from the standard room when I booked but does not have any additional space, I believe the upgrade is the balcony. There will be 5 of us, 3 adults and 2 tweens (12 & 13). My first concern is the room being too crowded for us. On the plus side I don't expect to spend much time there...

I booked both the hotel and our air using points to try to make this a fairly inexpensive trip. The fees are adding up though for the hotel. 3rd adult in the room is $25/day = $125. Rollaway is $25/day = $125. Resort fee is $23/day = $115. Without DME I'll need to rent a car for each way to/from MCO that is approximately $100 including gas (cheaper than a shuttle for 5). Due to the parking fee I won't keep the car for the park days, my car rental reservations are to/from the CCC at Dolphin. Total hotel fees = $365 plus the use of 44k Spg points (5th night free deluxe room at 11K/night) and the rental car. We'll also need 3 Magic Bands since DD and I have our own from the last trip I'm sure everyone else will want one so there's another $39. So roughly $500 + 44K spg points. I'm comparing this to a discount room offer I got recently for CBR @ $173/night total for the 5 days = $978 plus I would keep the car for the 5 days if at CBR and drive to/from the parks = $150, total $1138.

Other option is offsite at something like Sheraton Visitana Villas 2 BR for $1k + Disney parking and magic bands $100... I'm not concerned about the FP+ 30 vs. 60 days perk and I'm not a "Disney Bubble" person.

Our plans are for 4 park days, 1 day in each park plus MVMCP after our day in AK. I really want to be in the Boardwalk area and love the idea of being able to walk to/from EP and DHS. Am I crazy to spend the 44K spg instead of an additional $640 and stay at CBR? Would love some feedback from those who have used points to stay at Dolphin and anyone who has stayed there with 5 people none of whom are under 5'3". Is it worth it just for the location? How crowded did the room reel? How easy is the walk to EP and DHS? Is entering through the IG a disadvantage at RD?

TIA

One year I went to the Dolphin with my 2 kids (they were 7 and 9 IIRC) and my friend and her 4 boys (twins age 5 plus one 7 and one 9). She shared one room with them (back in the day before resort fees and rollaway bed fees). She had two kids per double bed plus she took the rollaway (she's about 5'3").

Their room was quite cramped to me. I had a king bed that DD and I shared, and a rollaway for DS (the sofa sleeper in our room sucked, so I had them remove it). In their room there really was little space to walk around, so I imagine with three adults PLUS two tweens there will be no privacy. And ONE bathroom for getting ready in the morning or ready for bed.

I wouldn't ever do it that way. I won't even share a room for the 4 of us now; haven't in years.

For sanity, I'd do the 2BR. Much as I love the Boardwalk area, no way could I share a room at the Dolphin with that many. Plus, the beds you're sharing are double, not queen even.

If you're looking at one room at CBR, ditto. I don't see how that would be comfortable. Also, Disney charges an additional adult fee too.

Magic bands are cool (we're developing quite the collection) but not necessary really. I see many people using their tickets without them still.

TIA
IDK- if you all plan to stay in one room those 44k points are worth the 640 savings..... You can also bring an air mattress and delete that 25 bed fee.... I've heard good tuings about vistana for the points- so if its a matter of being onsite at disney and saving money- i'd do dolphin- if its a matter of space for the points spent, vistana would be better.

I have never stayed with that large a group, but I would say 3 adults and 2 teens in ANY one bedroom setup would be very tight.

Thanks all for your input. Not sure yet what we'll do. This trip started out to be just DD and I booked at the Swan then we decided to invite my SIL and nephew to join us then my mom sort of invited herself so I changed the res to the Dolphin... I was really excited about staying in BW area and am reluctant to give it up...

Thanks all for your input. Not sure yet what we'll do. This trip started out to be just DD and I booked at the Swan then we decided to invite my SIL and nephew to join us then my mom sort of invited herself so I changed the res to the Dolphin... I was really excited about staying in BW area and am reluctant to give it up...

I'd have them get their own rooms then, honestly. I couldn't ever share a room with my SIL and nephew - no privacy.

I was able to score a 2 bedroom for one week at the Vistana villages last year for $499. Check eBay or google it. Having the kitchen will also help to save money.

That being said, I think the Swan/Dolphin has one of the best locations in the World. You can considering adding another room on points or paying about $200/night to upgrade to a executive suite. Better yet- I agree with the above poster- let the SIL make her own arrangements!

I consider Starpoints "worth" about $0.02 each at best. So saving $640 for 44K points isn't great but isn't a bad use of points.

Quick question. When I've been at the S/D and moved to a WDW resort, it has been either BC or BW, so I took my own bag to the new resort. This time I'm moving to SSR. Will the Dolohin move my bag to SSR, or should I plan on taking a cab?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter