• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

the sound of music live

I think it's too bad the the Broadway stars have the supporting roles, while the starring roles go to TV/pop stars. There's some great, veteran talent among the cast, but they went with stunt casting in the leads to draw in regulars.

Totally agree and this is why I won't be watching. Carrie has a great voice but she bugs the heck out of me and I would rather see Broadway stars doing the show.

I am definitely watching. My first choice wouldn't be Carrie Underwood, but she is a flawless singer and will probably do very well. I saw a tour years back of SOM starring Marie Osmond. I was shocked how well she sounded and loved the show. She took a lot of lessons to perform the songs, as I am sure Carrie did. I think it will be great!

The live performance is being broadcast from the Bethpage Studios located in Bethpage NY, a few miles from my home. It is a large Sound Stage that used to be the final assembly building for the Lunar Module used during the apollo program in the late 60's and early 70's. It is not being shot in front of live audence but across multiple sets. Filmed at this location were Salt, Marvel Super Hero's, The amazing Spiderman and a few other films.

I watched the tv special on the making of this production and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the live performance tonight!

I've always loved the movie version, but have also seen The Sound of Music several times on Broadway, which was also very good. My younger daughter played Gretl one year in summerstock theatre in Maine, and the following year she played Marta at a different theatre.

It'll be interesting to see this production! It looks like it's going to be very good!

Totally agree and this is why I won't be watching. Carrie has a great voice but she bugs the heck out of me and I would rather see Broadway stars doing the show.

Not a Carrie fan either.. but DD really wants to see it so I think we'll watch.

I was wondering.. do you think they have understudies for anyone.. especially the children? What would happen if for some reason one couldn't go on tonight? I realize it would have to be extreme, but things to happen.. in many "live" performances involving children they have an understudy all ready to go waiting in the wings. (We learned this during a backstage tour of "Mary Poppins". There are 3 sets of children. One performs, one is ready to go, and one has the night off for each show.)

I read Maria von Trapp's autobiography. Rodgers and Hammerstein took a lot of liberties.

So true. They certainly made it into much more of a love story than it actually was. Not to mention the other areas that where changed to add to the entertainment.

I also watched the behind the scenes and the making of the show last night. NOW I am totally excited to see it. I loved how they showed how the children were picked. I especially like Liesl and Rolf. His voice is amazing. The sets and costumes also are very appealing. I am really pumped up and ready for 8:00!!!:goodvibes

Not a Carrie fan either.. but DD really wants to see it so I think we'll watch.

I was wondering.. do you think they have understudies for anyone.. especially the children? What would happen if for some reason one couldn't go on tonight? I realize it would have to be extreme, but things to happen.. in many "live" performances involving children they have an understudy all ready to go waiting in the wings. (We learned this during a backstage tour of "Mary Poppins". There are 3 sets of children. One performs, one is ready to go, and one has the night off for each show.)

For one night? Likely not. Big difference between a show that performs 8 times a week for months on end and a one night performance.

For one night? Likely not. Big difference between a show that performs 8 times a week for months on end and a one night performance.

but what would happen if one of the kids was suddenly too sick to perform, or heaven forbid was in an accident? Things do happen. I would imagine they have some type of emergency plan in place?? Just wondering..

I'm guessing the only audience that will actually see a "live" production will be anyone watching on the East Coast. The show starts here in Arizona at 7PM, so we'll be watching an already taped show.

Still, I'm excited to watch tonight! My four "P things" for tonight's viewing: Pajamas, Popcorn, Pepsi and Peppermint Patties.:yay:

Interesting.. thanks! I couldn't imagine being in that position and actually having to go on at the last minute!

"We've spent $$$$ preparing and promoting this production but we can't do it after all because we don't have an understudy." That would be extremely irresponsible.

"We've spent $$$$ preparing and promoting this production but we can't do it after all because we don't have an understudy." That would be extremely irresponsible.

Yes. That's why I figured they had them. But there was no mention of it during the "making of" film that I saw. Thanks for the info. I assume they will be there all ready to go if they have to jump in like they do on Broadway. It takes a special child (and adult for that matter) that can deal with this kind of pressure. Best of luck to them all. They are so very talented.

A bit more info:
"Asked about a Plan B in case of a "major emergency or a hiccup", Zadan replies, "The only thing we have in terms of a Plan B is we have understudies for the actors. [But] not for Carrie [Underwood] or Steve [Moyer]." Shared Meron, "We are terrified of anyone getting the flu or a cold or a sore throat or whatever because you are going on live whether you are sick or well. So this is a scary time for us, praying that everyone stays healthy."

I don't like it so far. I didn't like Carrie Underwood before this. And my opinion hasn't improved. She can't act well. The acting is very "labored" and heightened - a little too much, even for a stage production. She sounds like she's reciting lines she memorized off a script, instead of talking and singing naturally, as in a real conversation. Her every word has equal emphasis. In real life we emphasis some words more than others. Her singing is also very "careful."

And I could have done without hearing "My favorite Things" twice before she sings it for the kids. No wonder why this production is going to be so long. :eek:

I did hear Audra McDonald sing "Climb Every Mountain" last night at the lighting of the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center on TV. She was fantastic! :yay:

Hmm, it is weird to hear the songs all out of order! Do Re Mi now?? what's later? :rotfl:

Hmm, it is weird to hear the songs all out of order! Do Re Mi now?? what's later? :rotfl:

I've seen a stage production of The Sound of Music. I don't remember all this added stuff and the songs out of order like this.

I turned down the sound during this song. The kids can't act either and they are usually natural at being kids. This production should have had an acting coach as well as a singing coach. :headache:

I'm waiting for Christian Borle to come on and Vampire Bill to sing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter