the sound of music live

That just didn't make any sense. It would be a stretch (an adopted son can be an actual prince?).

Moses?
(Although there are differing beliefs as to whether that is truth or fairy tale, so we won't go there.) :)

I don't know much about how the Catholic Church works, but I know priests can be moved to different parishes in different countries. I have a cousin who is a priest who spent time in Manila. I'm not sure if nuns work the same way. But if they do, having a black nun in Austria probably wasn't a big deal.

This is also true for nuns. I know because my mom went to Catholic school, and thought about becoming a nun. My grandmother -who was very controlling towards my mom- was thrilled with the idea. She pictured my mom living at the school which was a few block away from home. Grandma would have her little girl safe, and close by, forever.

Then they found out that nuns have to leave at a moments notice to anywhere they were ordered to go to. That was the end of any thought of becoming a nun.

So, no it was possible that the Mother Revered was assigned to Austria from anywhere she was from

I'm not calling anyone a racist. I called someone on Twitter who actually sent that to the actress who played that role a jerk, which he/she is, because the comment was rude and unnecessary and he/she should keep his nasty comments to himself instead of badgering the performer with it. Audra McDonald handled the comment with class.

Non-traditional casting has been going on for decades, and it was long-overdue. It's a musical, not a history lesson...and if an actor or actress can knock the role out of the park, they should have the opportunity to play it. Broadway and opera do it, and no one bats an eye over it.

Casting a black actress as Mother Superior didn't matter one bit to the story. They weren't casting actual Austrians as the Von Trapps or making sure all of the nuns were Catholic, so making an issue over the color of an actress makes no difference when her race has nothing to do with anything her character does in the show. It's a musical where people dance and sing...'historical accuracy' goes out the window right there.

And if historical accuracy is so important to you, do you know how historically inaccurate The Sound of Music is? There were 10 Von Trapp children, not 7. Maria was never their governess, she was a tutor to one of the children and her marriage to the captain was essentially arranged by her church. The Captain was not the emotionally distant person at the beginning of the show, the real reason he used whistles was because their property was so big it was the only way to reach the children from the house when they were playing on the grounds. They'd been married 11 years when they left Austria - and they left by train, without a problem at all, telling folks they were headed to a concert booking in the US. There was no trekking over the mountains.

So the whole thing has always been a historically inaccurate, heavily romanticized version of the real story. And a musical, to boot. Getting hung up over the race of an actress as if it ruined the whole thing is just pretty silly.

This is a great post! You really know your stuff!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

The only real time that Carrie showed any emotion was when Mother Superior was singing "Climb Every Mountain". I think she was probably thinking "Boy, I can't believe I am standing here and listening to this wonderful singer"! She actually had tears in her eyes. I think that most of the reviews (real and ours) are a little harsh, but that's how it is. Max, Elsa and Mother Superior were amazing and made me keep watching. That's about it though.

The only real time that Carrie showed any emotion was when Mother Superior was singing "Climb Every Mountain". I think she was probably thinking "Boy, I can't believe I am standing here and listening to this wonderful singer"! She actually had tears in her eyes..

I had the same thought!

Sent from me.

Depending on how far along she is, pregnancy absolutely effects your breath support. Even after just a few months, everything shifts and your diaphragm is harder to control. I was not taking lessons when I got pregnant with my first and learned some bad habits to compensate for less support that I then had to unlearn. This time I am doing much better, but my breath support is not nearly as good as it usually is. There is a video of Natalie Dessay singing the Queen of the Night aria at 4 months pregnant -- she takes it 1/2 step lower and much slower to compensate (insanely incredible!!!!).

Sent from me.

Oooh good call about the possible pregnancy; I didn't think about it but that's a good thought.

The Sound of Music will be rebroadcast this Saturday for anyone that wishes to watch again. :rolleyes1

@ConservativeHippie - you have just given me flashbacks to my school days and singing "How Tedious & Tasteless The Hours" in informal competitions with my other soprano choir members to prove we could do it without taking a breath. . .

I will be singing that song under my breath ALL FLIPPIN' DAY.

Grumble grumble grumble.

....never heard of it....can you hum a few bars for us......

Did I see True Bloods delicious Stephen Moyer in the cast???

"....keep yer grimy paws offa mah man...!"

dofp-ellen-anna-paquin-rogue.jpg

The Sound of Music will be rebroadcast this Saturday for anyone that wishes to watch again. :rolleyes1

:wave:

Thanks for posting that. I forgot to set my DVR before leaving for DLR last week. So nice of them to give me a do-over! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!