The "Solo is a Verb" WDW TR: Who knew DIVAS could represent like this...6/7 UPDATE!

Already feel a bond with you as I also walked home from my midtown office on the morning of 9/11. I live in the East Village.

So inspired by your weight loss and loving your trip report. Looking forward to hearing more.

:goodvibes

Beautiful pictures!
Chez Lala's looks yummy! it's a good thing your a personal friend :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read about the Behind the Seeds tour....have always wanted to do that!

Already feel a bond with you as I also walked home from my midtown office on the morning of 9/11. I live in the East Village.

So inspired by your weight loss and loving your trip report. Looking forward to hearing more.

:goodvibes

Oh wow, so glad you made it safely. That was NOT a fun day. Thanks so much for joining in.

Loving your adventure so far! I'm starting to feel inspired to go solo myself!
:yay:

Thank you Jewel and welcome to the partay! :banana: If you do go solo, I can't wait to read all about it. Its really a unique adventure.
Beautiful pictures!
Chez Lala's looks yummy! it's a good thing your a personal friend :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read about the Behind the Seeds tour....have always wanted to do that!

Yes, If Lala had a full kitchen, she REALLY would have been burning it up. :rotfl:

The Land Pavilion and the "Behind the Seeds" Tour

The Land Pavilion is my favorite area of Future World (and recently learned, the largest also). All of the areas are wonderful and great, don't get me wrong, but I am big with environmental awareness, being "green" (or at least, trying to be), and always looking at ways to enjoy all the wonders of our Planet, while being kind to it at the same time. For that reason, I tend to spend more of my time at The Land than anywhere else.

When I came with DD in December, I really had to refrain from doing all I wanted to do because I knew she would want to ride on Soarin' and then be on to the next thing. So, this trip, I made a point to make sure that I really absorbed the attractions here to the fullest.

As I navigated my way through the stroller farm growing out front, I couldn't believe how busy it had gotten inside. I had to hurry down to the Soarin' entrance to meet my group and the CM leading the tour.

I just made it...

I was really excited about doing the tour because I had done the Living with the Land Boat ride a couple of times before and there was so much more I wanted to know about the different greenhouses. The boat ride was nice for those who just rode it to take a break or kill time before riding Soarin' but for me, it felt like I was trying to get a Masters Degree through a drive-through. I wanted more.

There were about 8 of us in the group. We registered and left for our tour. We began by introducing ourselves and what we wanted to get out of the tour. Many of the others were there to learn how to grow plants in their city dwelling, learn more about gardening tips, and like I said, we just were curious about how its all really done.

(DISCLAIMER: I apologize in advanced that I do not know any of the technical terms since I would have felt like a dork taking notes. So, no fancy horticulture phrases and such, so many times I will use "thingie trees" and the "whatacallit bugs" etc. when describing things :rotfl:)

After intros, we walked outside and stopped at the first station - I will call it the "tree incubator". Whether thats what it was or not, I really am not sure. However, the guide explained that they were finding ways to grow trees in these controlled environments. The first picture shows the "clean room" where they start the growth, the 2nd pic was a tree she showed us that started from that stage 3 years before. This, eventually, will be a full sized tree.

DSC00105.jpg
DSC00106.jpg

Next, we walked into this room where she was explaining some of the ways that Epcot is testing how to control pests on their plants, herbs, etc. Among the other remedies they use, one of the things they do is with these bugs. She coined them the "villans" (located on the left) and the "superheroes" (on the right). Typically the "villans" insert their eggs, or poisons or whatever into plant leaves and eventually kills the leaf. Well, the job of the "superheroes" on the right is to pinpoint the location of the chemicals inserted by the "villan" and basically insert a anecdote in its place. She showed us a video on it also. It was pretty cool.

DSC00103.jpg

She then pulled some ladybugs in small canisters out of the refrigerator and had a few volunteers agree to hold them. They did not seem to be moving at the time, but asked them to keep the container enclosed in their hands for about 5 minutes.

As we made our way into the first greenhouse, I realized that we were now on the backside of where the boat tour usually goes through. This greenhouse, was the brightest and coolest of them all. It had a hydro system of little piples that ran all around, and it was explained to us that many of the vegetables and herbs that grow in this area are done through a drip system. Some of the growth observed here included brussel sprouts (yum!), strawberries, and various herbs. I even caught a picture of a hydro garden of lettuce in different colors that spelled out "EPCOT".

DSC00107.jpg
DSC00108.jpg
DSC00117.jpg

Just before we left this greenhouse, our guide asked the volunteers to go and release their ladybugs, which had now come alive and were itching to be free:

DSC00118.jpg

The 2nd Greenhouse, I have no idea what this was called, was a little warmer than the first, and immediately felt a little humidity in the air. In this area, it seemed to have more types of vegetables and herbs that would be grown in the ground - such as cucumbers, a tomato TREE, a HUGE pumpkin, chives, and other fruits.

DSC00109.jpg
DSC00110.jpg
DSC00116.jpg
DSC00119.jpg

It was really interesting to see how all of these different combinations of veggies can grow without soil, or even regular sunlight.

Our last stop before heading into the Aquaculture area, was tasting a cucumber that was grown right there. Mmmm-mmmm, was it yummy.

DSC00112.jpg

Oh yeah, if you ever wanted to know how they make those mickey-shaped veggies, you have to do the tour to find out. :cutie:

The Aqua house was pretty neat. It was really dark, so I didn't really take any pics in here but we did see the tanks where they are farm-raising Alligators and Tilapia. We also go to feed the tilapia. Wow, them suckers were hungry!

DSC00121.jpg

Our last stop on the tour was the Tropical Greenhouse... wow, it was hot as Hades in there, but really spectacular to see the vast amount of tropical fruits and vegetables that they are able to grow in there year-round. We saw fruit from Africa and the Carribbean, spices from everywhere were really interested. We even did a little challenge to see if we could guess the spices and, apparently, our group was the only one to get them all (but I think she told everybody that).

DSC00123.jpg
DSC00122.jpg

That was basically the gist of the tour. She gave us some really great handouts on how to grow plants in a hydrotank (using a bucket or a fish tank) in our homes. I will definitely try this out this summer.

After the tour, I went to see the "Circle of Life" film. This was spectacular (as always) and I enjoyed the message about how we are all interconnected to keep the planet growing.

The only downside is while I was on my way downstairs to ride Soarin', I realized I had dropped my pedometer somewhere along the way. The last I had looked at it, at the end of the tour, I was already at a little over 4,000 steps. Oh well... :sad2:

I enjoyed Soarin', as always, and had a great time really being able to experience every movement, detailed environmental effect, sight, and smell. That is a really fantastic experience. Now, time to go meet the other DisDiva, Karice2 at World Showcase...

NEXT

When we go in December we plan on taking the Seeds tour. I love to garden, and so does DD. She will be 5 at the time of the trip, but just loves to be out in the garden with me checking out the veggies. :love:

Nice report on the seeds tour. I took that about five years ago, and was thinking about how cool it would be to use their techniques to grow certain herbs......

When we go in December we plan on taking the Seeds tour. I love to garden, and so does DD. She will be 5 at the time of the trip, but just loves to be out in the garden with me checking out the veggies. :love:

It was really great.. and it was just long enough to be interesting but not too long that you or DD get bored. I will be taking mine again in December also. My DD will be 6 so hopefully it will peak her interest in gardening and environmental things.

We loved the Behind the Seeds tour when we did it last October! And I even have a black thumb :rotfl:

oh boy... well you and I have something in common!

Nice report on the seeds tour. I took that about five years ago, and was thinking about how cool it would be to use their techniques to grow certain herbs......

I would love to grow a successful herb garden. I tried and failed a few times but now I feel a little more motivated after the tour.

As I made my way over to World Showcase, I was really in awe of everything along the way. In the many years, many visits, many experiences that I had at Epcot over the years, I had never ONCE been through WS. It was amazing that I had actually been experiencing an area of Disney unfamiliar to me. To be honest, I was overwhelmed. I felt like I really needed an entire day to experience this area and since it was almost 2pm and I hadn't eaten anything since Chez Lala's... we had a problem. I was hungry. I was hot. and the last thing I cared about was watching videos about Canada... lol. So, unfortunately, I did not really absorb WS the way it deserved. I really skimmed each area, and I know now for my next solo trip (next month) I will make it my business to spend the entire day at WS (after riding Soarin' of course).

It was almost time for me to meet up with Karice2. She was pretty well-versed in WS so I wanted to wait to meet up with her to get some suggestions from her for food.

As I walked through the various pavilions, I snapped a few more pictures of the beautiful topiaries:

DSC00133.jpg
DSC00130.jpg
DSC00134.jpg

The one picture that I regret not taking was Beauty and the Beast. This was the topiary where I first met Karice2 and after she met me with the biggest smile, and we just started chatting it up immediately, I totally forgot.

We walked through the various areas, and immediately, she mentioned to me about the bakery in France where we could grab a nice pastry. We stopped there, got some delicious pastries and found a little table outside to enjoy our delectibles and get to know each other. Wow, she was so refreshing and great. I didn't feel as awkward talking to her because I had met up with NJDiva earlier. Karice spotted the first "hidden mickey" of the day... I swear it was totally like that when we sat down.

DSC00125.jpg

I had been breaking my neck looking for these dang hidden mickeys all week, and she finds the first one.. lol.

We left France, and walked through Morocco and Japan. Wow, the architecture was sooooo beautiful in all of the lands. Another one my Dad would love. This picture I took for him, and put it in his room when I went to visit him at the Nursing home later in the week. This one, among others. Maybe one day he will realize what they are.

DSC00127.jpg
DSC00129.jpg

We stopped at the American pavilion and got lunch... no pictures. Just a burger and fries. I ate half as we continued to talk and laugh. Woooo, that girl had me in stiches the whole day.

We stopped in Norway and rode Maelstrom. That was fun, but too short. It was weird because when we came off the ride to the part where they showed the movie, it ended like 1 minute after we sat down. We had a good laugh about that.

We saw China, flirted with the Photopass man while we took pictures and then stopped in mexico for a drink. It was getting a little late by this time and we were all meeting up later in the evening to meet other DISers, have drinks, fun, and general mayhem...starting at Jellyrolls, so I wanted to get ready to head back soon to relax, shower and change.

So, Karice2 takes me to this little hole in the wall Tequila bar in Mexico, La Cava del something or another. She treated me to a Blood Orange Margerita...

Lacava.jpg

I think my face says it all on that one... that was the strongest drink I had in a loooong time.

We left, K got on the boat back to her villa, and made my way to the front of the park to head back to mine. I ended up not leaving until after 6pm because I had to let the drink wear off. I am not at all about drinking and driving, so I made sure I had it all out. I drank water, giggled my way through the Spaceship Earth, bought some gifts, and then finally made my way back for a rest and get ready for our evening.

We had a great time that night, although I ended up meeting everyone really late. That drink really tore me up more than I thought (no, Im not a drinker), however the end of Day 3 was really great. I met some really fantastic DISers and like the other nights, went to bed relaxed, smiling and ready for the adventures of the next day.

If you are interested in seeing the full album of pictures for this day, you may do so by clicking here.

Coming Up... "Keys to the Kingdom" Tour, Dinner with the Divas at V&A

Day 4

Well, I just got word from my stepmother that my Dad has taken a turn for the worst and is in the hospital, but unresponsive. :sad1:

Great update! Your tour sounds very interesting! Good for you that you're able to do it without an ansty little one ;)

I'm so sorry to hear about your father! :sad1: I'll be praying for you! :hug:

Im in when i read your first post to this thread I felt a connection with you. I have never thought to go to disney alone but my first time to disney was when I was in second grade it was magic kingdom only and I remember the tickets for rides.
I love disney now as a adult with children of my own because my fond memories of going to disney as a child with my parents who I lost when I was 21, mom died and 23 dad died and i feel close to them when i vacation at disney.
I also am inspired by you about your weight loss I have been struggling to loose weight for a long time and would love to loose at least 60 pounds before I go to disney next time.

nice to meet you.

Great update! Your tour sounds very interesting! Good for you that you're able to do it without an ansty little one ;)

I'm so sorry to hear about your father! :sad1: I'll be praying for you! :hug:

I appreciate that. :hug:

Im in when i read your first post to this thread I felt a connection with you. I have never thought to go to disney alone but my first time to disney was when I was in second grade it was magic kingdom only and I remember the tickets for rides.
I love disney now as a adult with children of my own because my fond memories of going to disney as a child with my parents who I lost when I was 21, mom died and 23 dad died and i feel close to them when i vacation at disney.
I also am inspired by you about your weight loss I have been struggling to loose weight for a long time and would love to loose at least 60 pounds before I go to disney next time.

nice to meet you.

Thank you so much and nice to meet you too. Wow, that is a blessing that you and your children can live the memories of your beloved parents through your Disney visits. I do the same thing.

I have about 60lbs still to lose myself. It is so much harder when you're on the corner of age 40 and gravity...LOL. However, we can do it!. The WISH forum is very inspiring and I hope to lose at least half of this before my Sept solo trip.

My thoughts go out to your and your family during this hard time, so sorry to hear that your father is not doing well.

I appreciate that. :hug:

Thank you so much and nice to meet you too. Wow, that is a blessing that you and your children can live the memories of your beloved parents through your Disney visits. I do the same thing.

I have about 60lbs still to lose myself. It is so much harder when you're on the corner of age 40 and gravity...LOL. However, we can do it!. The WISH forum is very inspiring and I hope to lose at least half of this before my Sept solo trip.

As I read the whole report so far we have even more in common Libra here as well and am thinking we are very close in age love your trip report so far looking forward to the rest.

I'm finally caught up....darn work gets in the way of my DIS time!! LOL

I'm even more excited about the behind the seeds tour now that I have read your report on it! We will definitely aim to do that next trip...
Can't wait to hear about the Keys to the Kindgom tour as well.

I don't drink much as well...that drink would have knocked me out for the day! LOL

How is your dad????? thinking of you... :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter