• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Silly and Mischievous Canucks do Christmas - Dec 2015 PTR - Update 12/13

Resort Roulette

So.... I have changed resorts again. Billie please don't kill me! ;)

A couple weeks ago when I was stressing about the exchange rate I was checking out which other resorts were available with my pin code. I was leaning towards booking a moderate to save money. Well, that plan lasted about two minutes when I saw that a savanna room had opened up at Animal Kingdom Lodge. My family has talked about staying there in the past but only if we could get a savanna room. Soooo, I talked it over with them and decided that Beach Club will be saved for a longer trip during warmer weather where we will be able to utilize the pool more often as that is one of the big draws.

We are excitied about being able to watch the animals from our room and AKL is decorated beautifully at Christmas time!

So let's look back at my resort changes so far:

Original Reservation: Wilderness Lodge. Quickly switched when I read the rumours, now confirmed, about the resort expansion/construction.

2. Grand Floridian. This booking only lasted for a day before I thought better of the expense and switched to...

3. Boardwalk. Kept the reservation here for about a week before I decided that we didn't want to be at a resort that didn't really have a food court for some quick cheap eats and I also read that there is a small bit of construction going on here as well. So switched to...

4. Beach Club. Held steady here for about two months. Although I did briefly switch back to...

5. Grand Floridian. I really wanted to stay here but nobody else was excited for it so back to...

6. Beach Club and then to ...

7. Final Reservation (hopefully): Animal Kingdom Lodge

I think I may be a bit crazy....

I think this resort change will stick. The only reason I might change it again will be to downgrade to a moderate if my work hours are not great in the Fall. Time will tell on that one.

7. Final Reservation (hopefully): Animal Kingdom Lodge
Wait, wait...........this can't be your final reservation YET! You haven't had at least an hour with OKW and Saratoga Springs booked........ :faint:

Love AKL, and Savanna rooms are great! :goodvibes Congrats on being able to get that one booked at Christmas, and the decorations they have there are also a nice benefit too! party:

Wait, wait...........this can't be your final reservation YET! You haven't had at least an hour with OKW and Saratoga Springs booked........ :faint:

:laughing: Funny enough the thought of booking a 1-bedroom at one of those floated through my mind so we could have a kitchen and prepare meals instead of eating out so often. That idea didn't last though as I know how lazy we would probably be and would end up eating out anyways.

I think it's wonderful that Disney is allowing you this flexibility and that it is working for you. That is why planning the trip is part of the fun - you have already enjoyed (in your imagination) 4 different trip locations, and can work now on number 5!

Yes, thanks goodness I can switch without penalty! I do wonder if once we arrive if a little part of me will regret not staying at each resort as we visit them to eat/view the Christmas decorations. Will I have a small yearning to be staying at GF as we view the Gingerbread House? Will I be wishing I was lounging at Stormalong Bay as we eat at Beaches and Cream? :laughing:

Oh Lessa you're killing me :rotfl2: you'll love AKL though :)

I'm sure we will. I love the appearance/theming of the resort and it will be wonderful to enjoy our balcony and view the animals.

I do believe there is a thread for resort swappers , you definitely should join it Lessa:rotfl2: I am sooo boring I stick to my Pop all the time !!

And the saga continues... LOL! I haven't decided at all yet either, and like you it totally depends on work hours I can eek out over the next 4 weeks. I do know that AKL is on our list as well as the Boardwalk, but we'll mostly do a value, then switch over to AKL for a couple of nights. We shall see.... But I KNOW you will love the animals and have a great time!

CakeCastle.jpg

that's the first year we went :) Just Linnie and I all alone.

AKL is my second favorite. Love the lobby and love having a glass of wine in the lobby bar just above Boma. Plus, we love Boma! It's crazy expensive for how much we all eat, but we still do it.

This is the site we use when we run out of points (which is often LOL).

https://www.dvcrequest.com/

For future trips when you guys all want to stay together and have some room you can get a two bedroom (sleeps 8) AKL for $1,750 (five nights) with no taxes.

It's funny, we've been to AKL so many times no we demand the 'standard' view so we can people watch instead of animal watch :D

I am positive that you will be well into the Disney Happiness Bubble and all will be well, no matter where you stay!

I'm sure you are right. :goodvibes

I do believe there is a thread for resort swappers , you definitely should join it Lessa:rotfl2: I am sooo boring I stick to my Pop all the time !!

:laughing: You know what you like and there is nothing wrong with that!

And the saga continues... LOL! I haven't decided at all yet either, and like you it totally depends on work hours I can eek out over the next 4 weeks. I do know that AKL is on our list as well as the Boardwalk, but we'll mostly do a value, then switch over to AKL for a couple of nights. We shall see.... But I KNOW you will love the animals and have a great time!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get all the hours you need! I have been working sooo much over the summer, going into overtime every pay period but I know things will slow down in the fall once people aren't on vacation or calling in "sick" as much. I'm actually looking forward to working a bit less although the pay cheques have been nice... ;)

It's funny, we've been to AKL so many times no we demand the 'standard' view so we can people watch instead of animal watch :D

:laughing: People watching can be fun too.

Fort Wilderness Christmas Decorations

One of the things that my mom is most wanting to do on this trip is visit Fort Wilderness to see all the decorations that the campers put up for the holidays. Apparently some of the displays are very elaborate. I saw that a sleigh ride is offered through the grounds and I was wondering if any of you know about this or have been on it? I'm wondering if it is worth the money ($70 for all four of us) or if it is better to walk around ourselves. We have never been to Fort Wilderness before so no idea how feasible that is.

I've only been to Ft. Wilderness to visit, but I've looked into the sleigh ride. I would say, it's quite a bit of walking and I don't need to walk any extra at Disney. Another option is to rent a golf cart. Golf cart rentals are slightly cheaper and you go at your own speed.

I've only been to Ft. Wilderness to visit, but I've looked into the sleigh ride. I would say, it's quite a bit of walking and I don't need to walk any extra at Disney. Another option is to rent a golf cart. Golf cart rentals are slightly cheaper and you go at your own speed.

Thanks for the tip!

Fort Wilderness Christmas Decorations

One of the things that my mom is most wanting to do on this trip is visit Fort Wilderness to see all the decorations that the campers put up for the holidays. Apparently some of the displays are very elaborate. I saw that a sleigh ride is offered through the grounds and I was wondering if any of you know about this or have been on it? I'm wondering if it is worth the money ($70 for all four of us) or if it is better to walk around ourselves. We have never been to Fort Wilderness before so no idea how feasible that is.

I had no idea. Looking forward the photos. Great, Now I want to go in December, rent a motor home, and stay there. Thanks a lot! :D

I had no idea. Looking forward the photos. Great, Now I want to go in December, rent a motor home, and stay there. Thanks a lot! :D

Hi Lessa's mom here, I can't wait to see this, I heard about this years ago and have always wanted to see it, my family loves to tour around and look at Christmas lights ( we we haven't done it for a few years now) so this trip will make up for the few years we have missed, I have attached a few videos of the Christmas lights at the Wilderness Campground. For all those Wishes lovers out there, the first video is of Wishes at Wilderness Campground and the 2nd a tour around the campground.

and

Enjoy! Just a few more days until we are officially less than a hundred days from our holiday trip!!

Last edited:
I'm another walking naysayer. It's a HUGE camp ground, and I think you'll spend a lot of time wearing yourselves out. The golf cart is a super idea!

So.... I have changed resorts again. Billie please don't kill me! ;)
I am 110% done with you, Lessa! >:(

I think I may be a bit crazy....
I know I give you a hard time about it, but honestly, it's not crazy at all. I tell my clients all the time when they apologize for being indecisive... It's your money, and you're spending a lot of it on this vacation, so it should be PERFECT and make you happy! And between you and me... I tried to change my own resort just a few days ago (shhhh!). The only reason I didn't is that the military rate wasn't available for what I wanted, so I decided to just leave us where we are. So if you're crazy, then so am I! :cutie:

Oh my...I LOVE AKL. It is tied for my favorite resort in all of Disney. You won't regret this choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter