The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Thanks so much! Very helpful! I think I've narrowed it down to Lakes or Fountains. All the times we've stayed there, (at least 5-6) we've never been on that "side" of the resort :)

It runs between I-Drive and Palm Parkway, behind the Publix and Premium Outlet Expansion. It provides a great way to get across I-4 to anything in the Turkey Lake/Sand Lake area WallyMart, WholeFoods, restaurant row, yet another Publix. We didn't use it to go to Universal; I-4 is still quicker in the morning. We did come back from Uni that way once, but I had to stop at the TD on Kirkman Rd., and it was an easier route especially with the I-4 was showing full red on the GPS. It was a very effective way of avoiding any blockages on I-4. Would also be the best route to the Win-Dixie, and maybe even to Crossroads (although that's getting to be a bit of long way around).

Our Garmin GPS had it on the recent map updates, but I don't think it EVER suggested I go that way until I drove it a few times (our model has some basic learning of favorite routes). Actually I guess I should say "had" as it was stolen from my car after we returned. Technically I guess it still has that feature, I just don't have it anymore.

Thank you Munro! And so sorry to hear about your GPS theft....that royally stinks :mad: .

For anyone with trips in the planning stages......

bankr63 mentioned that the Diamond Lane check-in office was still closed when he was there in March (had not re-opened since the renovations at the Welcome Center).

I just received an email yesterday from Kate Norton, the Front Office Manager, in response to my Diamond Lane submission. She noted that the Diamond Lane office would be open for May 1st, and the DL Co-ordinator, Monica Shaw, would be on hand to check us in when we arrive on Friday.

Just thought I'd send along the update :) .

Thank you Munro! And so sorry to hear about your GPS theft....that royally stinks :mad: .
Venturing a little :offtopic: for this thread, but I have to admit that I am really hoping the karma comes around on this one. You see Bossy II (aka Bossier) had developed a nervous tic over the past couple of years. (You know, I think we anthropomorphise our GPS more than anything else in this house - perhaps because she talks to us.) Anyway, every time she would get overloaded, or tired, or bored, or God only knows what, she would have a brain fart and black out then reboot. Most often at the most inopportune time. Like trying to negotiate the 5 rapid turns to get out of the Destiny USA parking lot and onto the interstate; that kind of thing. She would usually get you through to first turn, and then, black screen for the next 4 minutes while she rebooted, leaving you suddenly guessing where you were going.

So on to karma; I am still anxiously awaiting the news story "A local Ottawa man escaped serious injury, but his car was totalled when it plunged into the Ottawa River. The man blamed his new GPS for failing to warn him of the upcoming turn, causing him to drive straight off the road..." "I am going straight back to that back alley to get my money back from the guy who sold me this piece of prac" the man said.

What? Too much? Okay, well it's my dream...

It has given me the chance to move away from Garmin's Bossy who has been ruining..., I mean guiding, our family road trips for several years. I am now trying out the TomTom application on my smartphone, and so far I am finding it every bit as good as Garmin. Heck, TomTom doesn't even huffily declare "re-CAL-culating" each time I deviate from the prescribed route. She just pops up a new route quick as can be. And at $23/year, it is probably cheaper in the long run that buying a new GPS.

With a Friday check in what day should I expect housekeeping and how much should I leave for a tip?

So on to karma; I am still anxiously awaiting the news story "A local Ottawa man escaped serious injury, but his car was totalled when it plunged into the Ottawa River. The man blamed his new GPS for failing to warn him of the upcoming turn, causing him to drive straight off the road..." "I am going straight back to that back alley to get my money back from the guy who sold me this piece of prac" the man said.

:scared1:

(now there's a new side to our gentle, fearless leader!! ;) ..... but I don't blame you in the slightest)

With a Friday check in what day should I expect housekeeping and how much should I leave for a tip?
The mid-week tidy for week stays are as follows:
Friday check-in - on Monday
Saturday check-in - on Tuesday
Sunday check-in - on Wednesday
and on Thursday apparently everyone rests!

Venturing a little :offtopic: for this thread, but I have to admit that I am really hoping the karma comes around on this one. You see Bossy II (aka Bossier) had developed a nervous tic over the past couple of years. (You know, I think we anthropomorphise our GPS more than anything else in this house - perhaps because she talks to us.) Anyway, every time she would get overloaded, or tired, or bored, or God only knows what, she would have a brain fart and black out then reboot. Most often at the most inopportune time. Like trying to negotiate the 5 rapid turns to get out of the Destiny USA parking lot and onto the interstate; that kind of thing. She would usually get you through to first turn, and then, black screen for the next 4 minutes while she rebooted, leaving you suddenly guessing where you were going.

It has given me the chance to move away from Garmin's Bossy who has been ruining..., I mean guiding, our family road trips for several years. I am now trying out the TomTom application on my smartphone, and so far I am finding it every bit as good as Garmin. Heck, TomTom doesn't even huffily declare "re-CAL-culating" each time I deviate from the prescribed route. She just pops up a new route quick as can be. And at $23/year, it is probably cheaper in the long run that buying a new GPS.

To follow you up with being off topic I "lol"ed when I read your part about Destiny USA as I live literally less then 2 miles from there lol

Just thought of something... do I need to bring beach towels for the pools or are they provided there? (Sorry for not searching.)

Thanks!

Just thought of something... do I need to bring beach towels for the pools or are they provided there? (Sorry for not searching.)

Thanks!
No need to bring your own towels, the resort provides nice big fluffy towels for you to use. You will be given towel cards at checkin, ask for as many as you like; we usually get 2 per person; I have heard that they may restrict to the maximum number of people in the unit, but last trip reception said we could have as many as we wanted. These cards must be returned at checkout or you may be charged for the missing cards. You can swap your card for a towel at several locations in the resort near the major pools. There are big bins of towels at the towel stations, and you can exchange for a fresh one whenever you like.

From that point, we just keep our same towels for the week; but we are pretty enviro-conscious and don't like creating wasteful laundry. Some people swap daily, or multiple times a day. Some people like to return their towels each night and keep their cards - but this makes late night swims difficult (hard to dry off with a towel card). How you manage your towels is up to you; the only rule is to return as many towel cards as you started with. We even take our towels to the Disney waterparks, although if you lose it, you bought it. The towels are in prison stripe though, so we don't generally worry about them walking off.

So we checked in on Sunday and the new welcome center is very nice. We were not even given the time share pitch. We got the room I requested. Fountains by the pool on the first floor. Everyone has been so helpful. Really enjoying the hotel and pools, will update with pics soon.

Thought you might also want some pics of the North side amenities to go along with the photos of the Fountains villa interiors.

Fountains pool:

Fountains splash pool:

Dive-in movie night:

S'mores by the pool, hosted by the FUN Team:

Upper hot tub:

Stairs to lower hot tub:

Lower hot tub:

Gina thanks so much for all the beautiful pictures ! The resort looks absolutly amazing.

The furnishings in the resort are very consistent across the sections for comfort and scale; colour schemes are all earth tones and do vary from section to section. Pretty sure that Gina has some pics that she'll link in here.

We eat in unit a lot, so I'll chime in on the groceries. Publix is the best full service grocery nearby, having once again placed near the top of the ratings in a major consumer magazine. Corner of Vineland and I-Drive; I suggest going the longer way around and approaching from I-Drive. There is a lot of traffic at Premium Outlets if you go the Vineland way.

There are good Super Walmarts and Super Targets nearby. We do the Super Target on 192 (Irlo Bronson E). There is a SuperWally down the road on 535, but we actually prefer the one on Turkey Lake Road. If you need any specialty groceries, there is a Whole Foods at Turkey Lake and Sand Lake. We've also done the Winn Dixie just past Crossroads, and several other Publix in the area (a couple more on 192 and one on Sand Lake)

And for all those forgotten essentials, don't forget the Marketplace on site. They have a very good selection of groceries, prices are a bit higher, but not outrageous, and you can enjoy a Starbucks while you pick a few things up.
Thanks for all the great information bankr63

Well, we arrived safe and sound (and wonderfully early). We're in Lakes 1, in a lovely premium one bedroom villa (the larger side of the lock-off, so a full kitchen, balcony, and big jacuzzi tub in the master). Our unit overlooks the Lakes pool and a pond/lake, and right behind us is the Fountains pool.....we couldn't be in a more perfect spot if we tried. Every Diamond Lane request we had was honoured, and the room was even ready when we arrived at 12:30 pm.

It feels good to be "home" :goodvibes .

Well, we arrived safe and sound (and wonderfully early). We're in Lakes 1, in a lovely premium one bedroom villa (the larger side of the lock-off, so a full kitchen, balcony, and big jacuzzi tub in the master). Our unit overlooks the Lakes pool and a pond/lake, and right behind us is the Fountains pool.....we couldn't be in a more perfect spot if we tried. Every Diamond Lane request we had was honoured, and the room was even ready when we arrived at 12:30 pm.

It feels good to be "home" :goodvibes .

I came on here today to wish you safe travels, and I'm a day late! Have a great time and can't wait to hear all about it.

I came on here today to wish you safe travels, and I'm a day late! Have a great time and can't wait to hear all about it.

Aw, thank you! :goodvibes

Resort is gorgeous, we're loving the villa, and the weather has been divine. I'm taking lots of pics and can't wait to share them when we get home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter