• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOTD: The majority of my runs will based on miles. A few are done by time such as runs where a move around in different HR zones.

@ebradley23 that sounds really awesome. Be interesting to hear how it goes.

I just looked at the past results of a 10K in November that I was planning to use as POT for Princess.... I think I could probably comfortably run a 10K in 1:10, but that would put me in the bottom 5 people! Yikes! I think I need to find a new race??

ATTQOTD: My training plans have generally been based on distance but I'm using the Higdon Intermediate Half plan right now that has tempo runs based on time. It's new for me but worked out really well when I was out of town last week and hadn't planned to run outside so didn't have my Garmin with me. No Garmin required for a tempo run based on time!

I just looked at the past results of a 10K in November that I was planning to use as POT for Princess.... I think I could probably comfortably run a 10K in 1:10, but that would put me in the bottom 5 people! Yikes! I think I need to find a new race??
Just do it. :) The fall is a great season to run races.

Believe me, I understand the feeling of not wanting to come in last. I am not a fast person telling you to just do it... I am you. :) I do the same thing, check the previous year finishes to see about where I'd come in, and quite often I am very near the end.

The 10K I was talking about a little ways back where they ran out of food and had no volunteers at the finish line was my PR effort to date (1:13:39) and I was 449/460.

A 10 miler I ran in April, I was 362/370.

A HM I ran as a training run last fall in my city was very small and I was 85/89... and I was pretty sure I was last for about the last 5 miles of the race. I thought I had passed 3 people around mile 3-4 but I wasn't sure if they had passed me back at some point. Then I passed one guy around mile 6 and I could see him behind me for a ways (extremely straight road that was very easy to see a long way due to the elevation), but by the time I got to mile 8 I could no longer see him and thought maybe he dropped (he was really struggling). So I spent the last 5 miles thinking that I was last and just trying desperately to keep some of the people in front of me in sight. I felt pretty mortified and just kept thanking every volunteer I saw the rest of the way for staying out there for me, especially in the last 1.5 mile or so because I really crashed and burned and did a lot of walking and had weird leg cramps and just hit a wall. I just felt really bad about all those volunteers out there waiting just for me (so I thought), but I also felt proud of myself for finishing it.

I've been following this thread for a little bit, and since this seems like such a warm and welcoming (not to mention knowledgable) community I decided to finally write a post. I've been running for just over two years now, and I am still in awe of the sport. I have completed 2 half marathons, a 15k, the Enchanted 10k earlier this year, and several 5k's (including Princess weekend 2015). While I am planning on running a few races this fall, I have my eye on the WDW Marathon 2017. Looking forward to being a participant, and not just a follower of this thread!

Don't do the marathon in 2017. All these terrible things happen after running a marathon. You suddenly have this immense pride in yourself, you feel like you can accomplish anything. You learn just how strong you are mentally and physically. There is way to much risk for happiness. :teeth: Of course, this all comes after you cross the finish line. During the race you want to shoot yourself. :rolleyes1

Kudos to you for getting more new people to come out of lurkdom! :welcome: to all of our new posters!

Thanks. I bet there are even more out there playing shy. I just love when we have more people participating because it gives us more people to learn from and share with. Someone said recently how much they love the tri/running community and I couldn't agree more. I have been on other forums not related to running and they always turn negative. You never find that here. It's so awesome. The fastest people are just as supportive, if not more, of us slower people.

So I volunteered (and was selected) to become a running science experiment through The VCU Run Lab. I'm geeking out about it, because I will get some awesome feedback. They're going to be testing my hip and ankle strength and analyzing my form.

For anyone curious about the run lab, I stole this description from their web site:

The VCU RUN LAB is a collaborative effort by sport biomechanists, exercise physiologists and coaches to help athletes of ALL levels RUN BETTER through science. Running better isn’t just about performance, it’s about health.
Through precise measures of your heart, lungs, muscles and joints, we design specific training, mechanics and cross-training programs for EVERY runner-whether it’s your first 5k, you’re returning from an injury or planning on qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
The VCU RUN LAB utilizes evidence from research generated in the lab by students and clinical researchers working side-by-side within the departments of Physical Therapy and Kinesiology and Health Sciences. We aim to educate both students and the community on best practices for running and running health. Richmond is recognized as one of the most Runner-Friendly cities in the U.S. and it’s our goal to keep our runners healthy.

This is awesome! Have fun.

ATTQOTD: I'm a @DopeyBadger training plan guinea pig. I stick to the plan he created for me.
My only issue is staying patient and those blind runs.....still not comfortable with them.

Speaking of @DopeyBadger training plans and run science.... He told me that I may be increasing my mitochondrial load!! What a compliment!!

Now I'm not a gifted journaler like many of you, so I'll just document a milestone here. Since July 1, I've been fueling intentionally. Figured that since I'm following a real technical training plan that may change my physiology, I should be fueling as if I am in training. So far I'm in week 4 and feeling better overall. I really want to meet my goal in September of a 2:15 half, and there are things I have to do now that will make it possible to do that.

One of those is to rabidly follow this thread.

3. 2016 Enchanted 10K (Princess Weekend). I was SO excited for this race and this course - it was my best race during Dopey, and I was ready to go back and really crush it again. Unfortunately, I let crappy behavior of others affect my race weekend and I was just in a foul mood the entire time. My time sucked, I didn't have any fun and it really put me in a sour mood (I didn't even want to go to the parks that day to play). What I really needed was a severe attitude adjustment. That's all. Lesson: "It's Your Race - Nobody Else's". That's the first time I TRULY realized that. What do I care if people are quitting? I'm not quitting. Are they affecting me? Nope. And yeah, maybe I'd just finished Dopey - but to some people, that 10K IS THEIR "Dopey". Everyone else is out there doing their thing, the way they trained and planned to do. Why should I care? Luckily, I was able to turn my attitude around the next morning and take my race weekend back. Also, my other lesson learned was to never do all three races at Princess Weekend again. I'm not a masochist, and I prefer so many other race weekends more and should allocate those funds elsewhere.

It's a great lesson! I've heard so many people here and on Facebook say that they don't like Princess weekend because of the people, or they'll never run it again because of the people. I honestly just don't worry about what other people are doing as long as it doesn't affect me.

We're all pulling for you on your road to recovery. And vent away, that's what this community is about...we all need to blow off steam. If you get to the point that you don't want to talk about it on the board anymore, feel free to PM me with whatever you need to get off your chest. Can't wait to run Dopey with you in 2018!

Exactly! Don't worry bout venting! It's what we do.

I would like to welcome all the new posters that have decided to start posting over the last few days. Anyone else out there, feel free to join in! If you would like to have your races added to the OP, just post the race info and when I "like" you post that will indicate that I am adding it to the list.

QOTD: I'm curious about how you base your training. Do train based on distance (ex. 5 miles @ "x" pace) or by time (ex. Run for 45 minutes @ "x" pace)? Why did you decided to go with the method you use?

I do both. For my short runs, I do time. My long runs are based on distance. That's how Jeff Galloway's training plans are, so that is how I've always done it.

ATTQOTD: I also measure by mileage. Being a "born again runner," time is kind of sensitive for me... I am still not as fast as I once was and that is mentally tough. I don't have a Garmin yet and can't decide if it would be awesome to see pace/mileage all of the time or if it would drive this numbers gal crazy!.

Just do it. :) The fall is a great season to run races.

Exactly, what have you got to lose? If you don't like your time, use the old one!

Thanks. I bet there are even more out there playing shy. I just love when we have more people participating because it gives us more people to learn from and share with. Someone said recently how much they love the tri/running community and I couldn't agree more. I have been on other forums not related to running and they always turn negative. You never find that here. It's so awesome. The fastest people are just as supportive, if not more, of us slower people.

I'm sure there is! I think there are probably a lot of people who run in the back of the pack, or run/walk, or are new, so they think they aren't "real" runners. If you run at all, you're a runner. There is always something to learn and/or something to contribute.

QOTD: I'm curious about how you base your training. Do train based on distance (ex. 5 miles @ "x" pace) or by time (ex. Run for 45 minutes @ "x" pace)? Why did you decided to go with the method you use?

I train by distance and effort, occasionally simply by time. I am old school in that I have yet to purchase a garmin/gps so I base my routes on known distances, scout out distances and occasionally simply head out the door and run putting something together as I go. I do use my phone to track distance but not pace. I do prefer to run based on effort and how I feel. I have found as soon as I begin to really pay attention to pace I get really stupid and try to go too fast... At some point I will learn.

I prefer to train by distance so that I can easily maintain my running journal and it just feels more natural to me to say that today I am running for ten miles as opposed to today I am running for an hour and a half.

First time attempting a race report, so bear with me. I did my first 10K on Monday (yes, Monday - weird Utah state holiday), the Deseret News Classic here in Salt Lake City. There's a marathon, half, 10K and 5K all on the same day with the same finish line, and the last two miles of the 5K and 10K go down the parade route where thousands of spectators camp out overnight.

Cons:
- I was only able to train to 5 miles, and only did that distance one time a week before the race.
- I normally do walk/run intervals, but just a week before this race discovered I could flat out run a mile and a half without stopping, so changed up my race strategy less than a week out.
- The course map indicated three water stops, but there were only two. I'm someone who really benefits from extra hydration and should've brought my own, but did not.
- Despite the thousands of people in the last two miles of the course, not many were there for the runners, so there was little encouragement relative to the crowd.
- A 10K was a lot harder than I thought, especially the last 1.2 miles and struggling where I thought the water stops would be, but weren't.

Pros:
- The weather has been really hot, but we had a nice, cool morning and started the race at about 68 degrees and breezy. YAY!
- The course is gorgeous and mostly downhill.
- I stuck to my interval plan of 3 minute run/1 minute walk for the first two miles, then 5/1 for the second two, and run the last 2.2. Almost. I did have to take three :30 walk breaks in the last mile.
- The few spectators who were cheering were great, and even had some fun signs (hit for boost, high five for more power, etc).
- I beat my secret goal time of 1:15 with a 1:14:25 that I can submit for GSC POT!

Hope I did that right!

Does anyone know the Host Resorts for the November Half Weekend ?
( We have reservations at Boardwalk.)

Since it's now a morning race, all resorts SHOULD be considered Hosts. You may check with the folks on the Wine & Dine thread - they're pretty up-to-date on that stuff!!

Exactly! Don't worry bout venting! It's what we do.

I'm sure there is! I think there are probably a lot of people who run in the back of the pack, or run/walk, or are new, so they think they aren't "real" runners. If you run at all, you're a runner. There is always something to learn and/or something to contribute.

Thanks. None of my friends get that I run, nevermind that I kept running while injured, and while they checked on my to see how my surgery was, they don't want to hear about the pain. I can't believe how much this one hurts. Even on my pain meds it is like a 7 on the pain scale. I figured my shoulder surgery was going to be worse because rotator cuff is famous for being painful. That was nothing compared to this. There is nothing anyone can do but I just feels good to get it off my chest, so thank you all.

And I agree about the lurkers. The more the merrier. There are no stupid questions if you are new to running. I wish I had a thread like this when I first started because I was lost. Nevermind the support.

First time attempting a race report, so bear with me. I did my first 10K on Monday (yes, Monday - weird Utah state holiday), the Deseret News Classic here in Salt Lake City. There's a marathon, half, 10K and 5K all on the same day with the same finish line, and the last two miles of the 5K and 10K go down the parade route where thousands of spectators camp out overnight.

Cons:
- I was only able to train to 5 miles, and only did that distance one time a week before the race.
- I normally do walk/run intervals, but just a week before this race discovered I could flat out run a mile and a half without stopping, so changed up my race strategy less than a week out.
- The course map indicated three water stops, but there were only two. I'm someone who really benefits from extra hydration and should've brought my own, but did not.
- Despite the thousands of people in the last two miles of the course, not many were there for the runners, so there was little encouragement relative to the crowd.
- A 10K was a lot harder than I thought, especially the last 1.2 miles and struggling where I thought the water stops would be, but weren't.

Pros:
- The weather has been really hot, but we had a nice, cool morning and started the race at about 68 degrees and breezy. YAY!
- The course is gorgeous and mostly downhill.
- I stuck to my interval plan of 3 minute run/1 minute walk for the first two miles, then 5/1 for the second two, and run the last 2.2. Almost. I did have to take three :30 walk breaks in the last mile.
- The few spectators who were cheering were great, and even had some fun signs (hit for boost, high five for more power, etc).
- I beat my secret goal time of 1:15 with a 1:14:25 that I can submit for GSC POT!

Hope I did that right!

I don't think there is a wrong way to do a race report. As long as you get the info out that you wanted, it works. Good job on your race. I did my first 10K with only a 5 mile long run prior to the race. That's fine. And it sounds like you did great on time too.

Does anyone know the Host Resorts for the November Half Weekend ?
( We have reservations at Boardwalk.)

Welcome! I looked and there are no specific host resorts listed. I don't think they do that anymore. I think all hotels are host hotels now. You can always email runDisney to make sure but I think you are good.

Another lurker coming out :)

I ran for a long time, and then got burned out. After 2 kids, I'm ready to get back on the wagon and see running as a way to get back in shape, and get some "me" time - which is hard to come by these days!

I recently registered for the Princess half and can't wait for my first runDisney event and first half marathon. I am planning a 10k in October to use as POT.

Thanks to all for the great info you share daily!

And to answer the QOTD...I used to go by time (scheduling exercise time in) but have recently switched to miles (to actually train for a goal race) and really like that better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter