The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: I'm curious about how you base your training. Do train based on distance (ex. 5 miles @ "x" pace) or by time (ex. Run for 45 minutes @ "x" pace)? Why did you decided to go with the method you use?
All of my individual training runs have distance goals, in miles. I do it this way because races are for specific distances, so it is a part of the mental aspect of running for me. Deciding to stop short of a run distance goal is the same as deciding to DNF a race - only happening if finishing would present a major problem.

My runs with my wife and her friends have time goals. They are new to running, and I need them focused on what they can do, building their confidence slowly. They ran their first 4 miler with me today, and it was a 4 miler because they ran faster than they have been in days/weeks past. Their time goals are producing ever longer runs as they become stronger runners. At some point I will switch that to distance goals for their long run - probably in the next few weeks. They are ready.

Every run has a desired "effort" level, but only my race pace runs have a goal pace, and I only run those twice/month.

QOTD: I'm curious about how you base your training. Do train based on distance (ex. 5 miles @ "x" pace) or by time (ex. Run for 45 minutes @ "x" pace)? Why did you decided to go with the method you use?

I use both. I setup my custom training schedule based on time. I determine based on my personal fitness and my handy "Hansons" calculator what my paces should be from easy to hard. Then, each of the paces have maximal time/distance.

Long Run - 150 minutes
Easy - 90 minutes
Speed - 4 miles
Strength - 6 miles
Marathon Tempo - 90 minutes

Then, based on the pace and the maximum I figure out what mileage I can do.

Divide Long Run pace by 150 min gives me Long Run max mileage.
Divide Easy pace by 90 min give me Easy max mileage.
Build marathon tempo throughout training from 45 minutes up to 90 minutes. Always have 30 minutes total of warm-up and cool-down (15 each). Max time training 120 minutes.
Use Speed pace and max distance of 4 miles to determine length of time for hard running. Add easy mileage to beginning and end of run to make it 90 total minutes.
Use Strength pace and max distance of 6 miles to determine length of time for hard running. Add easy mileage to beginning and end of run to make it 90 total minutes.

Then, I write my training plan in terms of miles @ pace for ease when actually running outside. But when I'm actually running, the pace at which I'm running at is equivalent to the effort I've given for the same type of run in the past. That means some days I run faster than prescribed (and pull back) and some days if the conditions aren't ideal, or I'm tired, then the pace is slower. In the end, no matter if I'm faster or slower, the effort given for each type of run is the same from week to week.

I chose the training times based on my research. Around 90 minutes of continuous running is a breaking point for the body for the paces I use other than Long Run. After 90 minutes the body needs longer and longer to recover from the previous training day. So by consistently stressing the body at these paces at maximally 90 minutes, I'm maximizing the time I can spend training and leave enough time for the body to recover before the next day. The long run of 150 minutes follows the same vein of thought that there is diminishing returns after a certain time period at a certain relative fitness pace.

My philosophy on why I choose this method is that the body can sense two things:

1) it knows how long you've been running
2) it knows how much effort you're giving

The pace at which you run is merely what effort you're currently running at, what your relative fitness is, and what the external factors surrounding the current training session are (weather, other training runs prior, nutrition, etc.). Then the body tracks how long you've been running at a certain effort level to determine what physiological gains are made. What does the body need to adapt to from the previous run so that it can perform better the next time? By combining these two things (effort and time), you create the distance (mileage) which the body is unable to sense inherently without the other two factors.

Thus, design by time and effort, but train by mileage and effort.

I do based on distance. I generally don't worry about "x" pace so much as a time range (which I then translate into pace) such as I would like to complete 3 miles in less than 40 minutes (13:20min/mi) so that if I'm counting my warm up/cool down in those miles I know that my first mile and last mile may be closer to say 13:25 but the one in the middle is 13:00. I pick miles because then I can map out my route based on the miles where as with time I have to have a much better estimate of how long it will take me to get from point X to home before my time runs out (unless I want to walk the rest of the way).

QOTD: Tell us about your worst race day experience (Finish times do not have to be the determining factor here). What factors leading up to the race made it for such a unpleasant run? Most importantly, what did you learn from that day?

My worst race day experience was during a triathlon about 18 years ago. As odd as it sounds, it was also one of my best race day experiences. It was a fairly small Olympic distance triathlon, and I was in pretty good shape and training had been going well, so I thought I had a shot at an age-group award (as well as a PR). So, I got up real early, traveled a couple hours to get to the small town, and got everything setup.

The swim went well, and out of transition on my bike, I was feeling good. Then, I had a flat tire, so I stopped, replaced the tube in record time, inflated quickly with CO2, and was on my way. Still doing well... not too many folks passed me during my flat. I still had a shot at a good time and possible award.

Then, I had a second flat (same tire, so I assumed I pinched the tube or something with my speedy prior repair). So, I took a little more time to make sure I didn't pinch the tube this time. At this point, I was frustrated because I knew my goals of PR and possible age group award were very likely out the window, but I was back on my bike and moving, so I kept going with a hope that I could make up some time.

Then, about 3-4 miles from the bike finish, I had a third flat (same tire). Now, I only carry two tubes and two CO2 cartridges, so there was no repairing this one (unless I bugged another triathlete, which they are awesome about, but I didn't want to hurt their time). In any case, I stopped, because that's what you do when you have a flat. I then thought my predicament through and considered waiting for a SAG van. However, sitting around waiting in the sun didn't sound like fun, and I really didn't like not making any progress. Since it was a rear flat, I got back on my bike and put as much weight as possible on the front handlebars and peddled as fast as I could without losing the rear end of the bike. People were passing me left and right at this point, and many were offering help, but I would politely decline and thank them. Interestingly enough, this third flat was just what I needed because I finally switched out of race mode and into "this is actually pretty funny" mode.

My arms were quite tired from putting all my weight forward, but I finally made it back to transition, and started the run although this is one of the few races in my life that I considered DNF'ing at this point. Mind you, I didn't go all out on the run, but I was still trying to put in a decent run time, so I was passing many folks that had passed me on my crippled bike, plus it was an out and back, so there were also runners coming the other way. To my amazement, almost every runner that passed me going the other way as well as the runners that I passed would say/yell words of encouragement to me. It seemed that everyone of them had not only noticed my travails on the bike, but also actually remembered what I looked like, and they were all supporting me the entire way on the run. I was a rock star, and the run felt so easy with all this support. It was a blast!

So, what did I learn?
- always finish the race because otherwise you might miss the most amazing part
- the triathlete/runner community is awesome
- having a bad race doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad day
- finding the humor in your situation is very therapeutic

Last edited:
Who do you know personally, Meb Keflezghi? Just teasing. I am just excited to be a part of a thread with so many people of different levels. And there are many others on here that impress me, you just make it seem so easy.

Yes! I also feel pretty honored to be getting feedback from people who are so speedy or well-accomplished. Thank you all you seasoned people who share! :) This is thread is like "envision yourself like the type of runner you want to be." Hanging out with good influencers has had a huge effect on me this summer.

ATTQOTD: My training plans are based on distance. I love stopping my watch right on the precise distance I had set to run. It bugs me when I run some odd number mileage. It's a sickness, I know.

I too suffer from this sickness, it really only manifests itself when I stop short of my goal distance (4.9 instead of 5), although, I'm oddly okay with going over by a digit or two.

I had my surgery. I didn't realize how hard this was going to be or the level of repair this was. I thought I'd leave with a couple stitches and it was no big deal. I was told by the nurse this was a pretty big surgery and now I have this splint on for 2 weeks to be followed by a hard cast once the swelling goes down. Simple daily tasks are much harder than expected from showering to just going to the bathroom (sorry if that's TMI). Getting up and down stairs and now having to have the kids carry my food around for me. :crutches:I am worried about what sleeping will be like so I am just staying up late to avoid it. :teeth: And the nerve block hasn't even worn off yet so I haven't had to deal with the pain. I promise I won't complain every day, I am just venting and counting the days down til I can get on my bike and then run again.
I'm betting it'll all get easier after a few days - hang in there!

ATTQOTD: Both - thanks to the never-ending FL summer, 10 miles can take significantly longer in August than in January, and I've learned that it's not distance but time on my feet that's most critical in my race prep. So when it's brutally hot, I'll go to time instead of distance and run the amount of time I expect that distance to require in cooler temps, if that makes sense.

I train by distance. I just find it easier logistically.

ATTQOTD: I train by distance, although the Higdon plan that I am using that starts next week has some runs that call for minutes. IIRC they are the tempo runs.

@Dis5150 Cool, I'm going to check those out!

@opusone 's story reminded me of this: I forgot one of my insane race situations from last year probably because although it was bad at the time, it's turned into such a funny thing that I don't think of it as "bad" anymore. A lot of y'all have already heard me tell this one. I ran the last mile+ of a race in just socks because it was a trail run in a farm after a flash flood and my shoes succumbed to the mud. So One WHOLE MILE with no shoes, in ankle deep mud. Never swore so much in my life. The only thing that made it okay to laugh at was that literally every single other runner was dealing with the same conditions. And I was carrying a size-able pumpkin at the time for some weird challenge medal. The dried mud after was almost worse than the whole no-shoe thing.
Lesson learned: I'm not signing up for any trail run in Chicago area until the day before. If it's sold out, oh well.

ATTQOTD: Can I just say "whatever @DopeyBadger said" ? I started a billy-plan last night so it's broken down how he described it. But for my ability and distance goal. So before I start off on my run of X miles at X pace I already know how long my workout "should" take me give or take fudge factor for me running too fast or slow here and there. On the treadmill it's always dead-on since I can set up the pace.

I also run "blind runs" in my plan so I literally cover my watch and just wait to feel my mile lap buzz at me and then I go back to my garmin stats and see if the paces I was supposed to hit, I actually did right. I've dubbed them my "human science experiment workouts."

Last edited:
Yesterday's QOTD: Worst race was my April half marathon this year. It was unusually warm for April and sunny, a combo that I loathe. Every mile felt awful. My legs felt like cement. I felt nauseous at the end. Later that day I had terrible GI issues. I found out about a week later through routine blood work that I was anemic. A lightbulb went on in my head, it was no wonder the majority of my runs that month felt hard!

Today's QOTD: I run by distance.

ATTQOTD: I have trained by distance in the past, mostly using Higdon's plans. Now, though, since @DopeyBadger set me up a training plan, I (mostly) do it his way. Although I do tend to fix my pace and vary my effort level where he fixes his effort level and varies his pace. Effort level is just too subjective for me right now, while a pace is a solid, objective, attainable goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter