The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

I served this as an appetizer last year and it was a huge hit!

Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce from Kraft

1 pkg. (16 oz.) penne pasta, uncooked 1 pkg.
(8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1/2 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
ground nutmeg to taste

COOK pasta as directed on package.

MEANWHILE, place cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter and milk in large saucepan; cook on low heat until cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Add pumpkin and spices; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.

ADD pasta; toss lightly. Serve topped with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

***This is a very rich, alfredo type pasta

Here's a recipe for pumpkin butter to go with the pumpkin scones. There's also a recipe for pepita granola on the same page. A pumpkin 2 for 1 special! :laughing:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/10/pumpkin-butter-and-pepita-granola/

If you'd rather not go through the trouble of making your own pumpkin butter, they sell jars of them at Williams-Sonoma. Their pumpkin butter is not cheap, but it tastes really good! (I tried a sample of it a couple of years ago.) I'm sure you can get good pumpkin butter elsewhere, but Williams-Sonoma is the only place that I've been able to find it.

If you want a decadent pumpkin dessert to serve this fall, try this recipe!

Pumpkin Pudding with Candied Ginger Whipped Cream (from Food and Wine magazine)

For the pudding:

4 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree (one 15-ounce can)
4 Tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter
1 Tbs. vanilla extact

For the topping:

2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. minced crystallized ginger
1 cup coarsely crumbled gingersnap cookies

- To make the pudding: In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until the egg yolk mixture is thickened and light yellow, about 4 minutes.

-In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and half-and-half until small bubbles appear around the rim. Gradually beat 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the pudding is gently boiling and as thick as mayonnaise, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat.

-In a small skillet, cook the pumpkin puree over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly dry, about 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin to the pudding (thickened egg and milk mixture) along with the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter melts. Transfer the pudding to a large bowl and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours.

-To make the topping: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and minced crystallized ginger at high speed until firm peaks form.

-Spoon the pudding into wine or martini glasses or dessert bowls and add a dollop of the ginger whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with the crumbled gingersnaps and serve. Makes 12 servings.

Note: The pumpkin pudding can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for up to three days. Make the topping the day you plan to serve the pudding.

For those of you who want to learn how to make your own pumpkin puree, here's a great step-by-step tutorial from another one of my favorite food blogs.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/

For how to cook pumpkin seeds: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/pepitos/

The Pioneer Woman also has a great recipe for pumpkin cake!!! :)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/pumpkin-cake-with-whiskey-whipped-cream/

:cool1:

I was just going to ask about this! I have 2 sugar baby pumpkins that I wanted to try and cook. Thanks!

Oh no! :eek: Well, that's OK. They're still selling pumpkins at the supermarket. :thumbsup2 Those small "pie" pumpkins are really good to use in baked goods. I hope you guys have a great Halloween!

Thanks! I actually posted some pictures.. The link is in my siggie if you want to share/join!

If you want to jazz up your hot chocolate, try adding a little pumpkin pie spice to it. :thumbsup2

Oh, I forgot to add a recipe for a cocktail I made up!

I didn't measure though. :sad2:

I found some Pumpkin Pecan flavored coffee creamer. The kind I used was made by lucerne but Internatinal also makes a pumpkin pie spice creamer that would work, I'm sure. I found it in the refridgerator section. I named the drink after myself...

The Witch Next Door
Vodka
Cinnamon Schnaps (I used Goldshlager)
Pumpkin Coffee creamer
Splash of milk (to tone down the thickness of the cream)

It was YUMMY!

All of the flavored creamers make fantastic cocktails. I also LOVE gingerbread creamer with cinnamon shnapps and coffee... it tastes like the ESSENCE of Christmas.

Have fun!

Wow, have you tried all of these recipes??

I haven't tried any of the savory pumpkin dishes that I've posted (my family and I don't care for pumpkin in savory dishes), but I have tried many of the sweet pumpkin recipes. I thought it would be nice to post lots of different pumpkin recipes to give people ideas for fall dinner parties, Thanksgiving, etc. You can never have too much pumpkin!! :laughing: ;)

Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

Cake:

1 (18 3/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*1 tsp. nutmeg

*or substitute 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

-Combine the cake mix, egg and melted butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan.

-To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.

-Spread the pumpkin mixture over the cake batter and bake for 40-50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake, as the center should be a little gooey. Serve with whipped cream.

I haven't tried any of the savory pumpkin dishes that I've posted (my family and I don't care for pumpkin in savory dishes), but I have tried many of the sweet pumpkin recipes. I thought it would be nice to post lots of different pumpkin recipes to give people ideas for fall dinner parties, Thanksgiving, etc. You can never have too much pumpkin!! :laughing: ;)

How bout butternut squash? My DH made me butternut squash ravioli with brown butter and crispy sage leaves... :worship: OMG it was good. Don't get me wrong.. it's the only meal he's ever made.. but he did great!

Also, just plain ole butternut squash with brown butter and crispy sage leaves is downright STUPENDOUS as well. There's a pasta place here called "Pastini" that serves it as a side dish for $5. It makes me so happy.

:sad1: <--- tears of joy over butternut squash with brown butter and crispy sage leaves...

:lmao:

BNS and sage are natural partners:thumbsup2 so they also go really well with roast chicken:goodvibes I LOVE BNS in any form (except curried:sick: )

How bout butternut squash? My DH made me butternut squash ravioli with brown butter and crispy sage leaves... :worship: OMG it was good. Don't get me wrong.. it's the only meal he's ever made.. but he did great!

Good for your DH! :thumbsup2 You know, since Thanksgiving is coming up, I've been thinking a lot about sweet potatoes. (My second favorite thing to eat during the fall. :love:) I may turn this into a pumpkin/squash/sweet potato recipe thread. What do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter