The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

Dh feeds my pumpkin cravings. He brought home a piece of pumpkin angel food cake. Anyone have a recipe? Also, just bragging, but the restaurant I work at is featuring pumkpin creme brulee-haven't had it yet, but how can it not be delish?

OOh! Love sweet potatoes, too. I make a sweet potato souffle with pecan crumble on top. I will see if I can find it.

Here's my go-to recipe for pumpkin bread. I like to use raisins or chocolate chips instead of cranberries.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=28205

Does anyone else have a good, tried-and-true pumpkin bread recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a better recipe.

This is the recipe my High School German Club used every year as a fundraiser. I make several loaves every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Kurbis Brot (Pumpkin Bread)
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 1²/3 cups flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup salad oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¹/3 cup water
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)

Mix ingredients well
Pour Mix into 9x5 greased loaf pan, fill half way.
Bake at 350° for 60-75 minutes.

This year I baked and mashed the Halloween pumpkins, so I'll be trying it without canned pumpkin.

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding

- 15 oz pumpkin (canned)
- 12 oz evaporated milk (canned)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk baking mix
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Whipped cream

Mix together all ingredients except whipped cream.
Pour mix into greased slow cooker.
Cover and cook on Low for 6-7 hours, or until mix is 160°
Serve topped with Whipped Cream.

This was amazing!! Yummy!

moburg- Is buttermilk baking mix like pancake mix or something like Bisquick?

Not a recipe, really, but I tke vanilla icecream, top it with pumpkin butter, crushed graham crackers, cool whip, and cinnamon. It is really good and Coldstone-esque.

Also, does making a pie from baked pumpkins taste any different than canned? Is it worth the effort?

OK, I gotta do the multi-quote thing. :)

OOh! Love sweet potatoes, too. I make a sweet potato souffle with pecan crumble on top. I will see if I can find it.

Ahhh, sweet potato souffle. :love: :cloud9: It sounds like heaven on a plate. Find that recipe, woman! :rotfl2: :)

I vote yes on an all-Gourd thread!

Well, all righty then! :rotfl: An "all-gourd thread"! I love it! All gourd, all the time. :lmao: Too bad sweet potatoes aren't in the gourd family. Hmmm....maybe we can make it an honorary gourd. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the recipes, paint! :) Pumpkin angel food cake sounds great! I gotta try that.

This is the recipe my High School German Club used every year as a fundraiser. I make several loaves every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks for both of your recipes, moburg! They sound great! :)

Also, does making a pie from baked pumpkins taste any different than canned? Is it worth the effort?

You know, there seems to be a bit of a debate about this. I've heard a lot of people say that they prefer pumpkin pie made from fresh pumpkins. However, others say that pumpkin pies taste more "pumpkin-y" when made from canned pumpkins. Since I've never tried a pumpkin pie made from homemade pumpkin puree, I have no opinion on the matter. I prefer to make pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin puree because it's easier. ;) Someday, I want to try making my own pumpkin puree, though. It would give me a sense of accomplishment. :rotfl:

This is officially an all-gourd thread. Here's a recipe that I posted on another thread.

Butternut Squash Gratin (from chow.com)

2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and seeded
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/8 tsp. ground thyme)
1/8 tsp. ground mace
1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

-Slice squash in quarter-inch slices. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, combine the squash, cream, half and half, bay leaves, thyme, mace, 1 tsp. of the salt and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring lightly to distribute the liquid, until squash is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid, approximately 30 minutes.

-Meanwhile, slice the onions about a 1/4-inch thick (or a little less thick if you prefer). Melt half the butter in a large skillet and saute the onions until they turn deep golden brown. Add the qarlic and cook for one minute, stirring frequently. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.

-In an oiled, shallow, medium-sized baking dish, layer the squash mixture and onions. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dot with the remaining butter.

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.

Serves 6-8 people.

Note: If multiplying the recipe 4x or more, use less liquid or it will get too soupy. Multiplying 5x uses 1-2 cups less liquid.

This can be made in advance and reheated or kept uncooked in the fridge and brought to room temp. before baking. It also freezes well after being baked. Leftovers make a great soup, pureed and thinned with chicken or vegetable stock.

Here's my problem with gourds: :duck:

I can't open them! I can't cut them! They're hard to cut! They need a cleaver! I don't have a cleaver! I use my own knife then it's dull and I cut my finger off! It's hard! HELP!

1. Get a knife with its own sharpener (eg pampered Chef)
2. Cut top and bottom off
3. It is now easier to cut in half:thumbsup2

Do you ever eat spaghetti squash? It is not all soft and savory like other gourds, but it make a nice big bowl of pasta for hardly any calories!

We used to eat spaghetti squash all summer when we kept a garden. Somehow over several years, though, I lost the taste for it. I started mixing it with real pasta, but in the end decided I just didn't care for it anymore. As I think about it, this only happened once we stopped growing our own & bought them at the store. Hmmm....

Also - FYI...I copied moburg's Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding recipe over to the Crock Pot thread.
<snip>

My grandmother swore it wasn't worth the effort to use anything but canned & I have to agree. I've had friends who go through the whole baking process & their pies aren't as "pumpkin-y tasting" as those made from canned pumpkin...even made by the same person. ;) MIL buys her pumpkin pies from an Amish lady down the street & I don't think those are ever as good as my grandmother's. DH loves them, but agrees they have a lighter pumpkin taste.

Also, I just read an article that says the canned pumpkin is actually better for you. I forget the details now, but it was something about the nutrients are enhanced by the canning process...totally opposite of most other goods. Go figure. :confused3

tiggerfan1 said:
<snip>

Does anyone else have a good, tried-and-true pumpkin bread recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a better recipe.

Pumpkin Bread

4 eggs, well beaten
3 c sugar
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c oil
2 tsp baking soda
3 c flour
2/3 c water
1 c pumpkin
3 12 oz coffee cans
Grease coffee cans & preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix eggs, sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon & oil. Add baking soda to flour. Add water & flour/soda to first mixture. Mix well; then add pumpkin & stir gently until well mixed. Pour into coffee cans – about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool 15 min. before removing from cans. [Note: It is recommended that you mix by hand rather than using a mixer.]

= = = =
Lastly, I completely forgot about DH's favorite fall breakfast!! Pumpkin Pancakes!

Pumpkin Pancakes
<Source> Libby’s

2 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
12 fl oz CARNATION Evaporated Milk
½ c LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
¼ c water
1 large egg
2 Tbl vegetable oil
Pumpkin Maple Sauce (recipe follows)
Chopped nuts (optional)

COMBINE flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, pumpkin, water, egg and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.

HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with oil. Pour ¼ cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce and nuts.

FOR PUMPKIN MAPLE SAUCE
HEAT 1 cup maple syrup, 1¼ cups LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice in small saucepan until warm. [NOTE: The small can (15 oz??) of pumpkin seems to hold more than is required for this recipe. I always end up with more than 1¼ cup after measuring out the pumpkin for the pancakes. Since the batter is rather thin, I never use the extra in the pancakes...I just use it all for the sauce. It always makes more than we use for the pancakes this recipe yields...so the excess is saved & used over vanilla ice cream after supper. ;)]

= = = = =
I'd collected another pumpkin pancake recipe before finding the one from Libby's. The other requires more effort to make, which is not fun in the morning with hungry people clamouring for breakfast. :rotfl: But the sauce included sounded good:

HOT CIDER SYRUP

1½ c apple cider
1 c brown sugar
1 c corn syrup
2 oz butter
2 Tbl lemon juice
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Grated rind from 1 lemon
2 apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add apples. Heat for several minutes more. Serve over pancakes. Serves 6.

moburg- Is buttermilk baking mix like pancake mix or something like Bisquick?

Not a recipe, really, but I tke vanilla icecream, top it with pumpkin butter, crushed graham crackers, cool whip, and cinnamon. It is really good and Coldstone-esque.

I don't recall now what I used for the buttermilk baking mix last year, although it was not Bisquick. I do recall having a difficult time finding something though. Whatever I used worked fine. I think it might have just been a buttermilk flour. I guess you could try Bisquick.

You know, there seems to be a bit of a debate about this. I heard a lot of people say that they prefer pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins. However, others say that pumpkin pies taste more "pumpkin-y" when made from canned pumpkins. Since I've never tried a pumpkin pie made from homemade pumpkin puree, I have no opinion on the matter. I prefer to make pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin puree because it's easier. ;) Someday, I want to try making my own pumpkin puree, though. It would give me a sense of accomplishment. :rotfl:

I'm about to try the pumpkin bread from homemade pumpkin puree for the first time. So I'll have to report back on the taste.

It was a little extra work, but a big savings. Using the pumpkins we bought for Halloween, I ended up with the equivalent of more than 17 cans of pumpkin puree.

Pumpkin Bread

4 eggs, well beaten
3 c sugar
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c oil
2 tsp baking soda
3 c flour
2/3 c water
1 c pumpkin
3 12 oz coffee cans
Grease coffee cans & preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix eggs, sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon & oil. Add baking soda to flour. Add water & flour/soda to first mixture. Mix well; then add pumpkin & stir gently until well mixed. Pour into coffee cans – about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool 15 min. before removing from cans. [Note: It is recommended that you mix by hand rather than using a mixer.]

Coffee Cans are exactly what we used for our German Club Pumpkin Bread. We would wrap the cans with a nice label which included the recipe. We didn't need tin foil or baking tins. Just baked it and sold it in the cans!

1. Get a knife with its own sharpener (eg pampered Chef)
2. Cut top and bottom off
3. It is now easier to cut in half:thumbsup2

Thanks for the advice, MazdaUK! :thumbsup2

Travelmel, if all else fails, get out the old chainsaw!

:rotfl:

Do you ever eat spaghetti squash? It is not all soft and savory like other gourds, but it make a nice big bowl of pasta for hardly any calories!

I tried it once during the height of the low-carb craze. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of it when it's used as a substitute for spaghetti, but it'd be great on its own or in some sort of salad.

Does anyone have a good spaghetti squash recipe?

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Pancakes

PUMPKIN MAPLE SAUCE

HOT CIDER SYRUP

Thanks for all the great recipes, piratesmate! :) I especially want to try that hot cider syrup. It sounds awesome!

I'm about to try the pumpkin bread from homemade pumpkin puree for the first time. So I'll have to report back on the taste.

It was a little extra work, but a big savings. Using the pumpkins we bought for Halloween, I ended up with the equivalent of more than 17 cans of pumpkin puree.

I'm curious to hear the result. If it turns out well, I'll may make my own pumpkin puree.........next year. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter