The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

MickeyandMinnieChristmasglitter.gif

To my pumpkin-loving DIS friends and pumpkin recipe thread readers:

I just wanted to let you all know that I've decided to retire from this thread. I think that I'm all out of recipes!! :laughing: I really appreciate all of you who contributed to this thread. It has been so much fun chatting and trying new recipes. I'll still want to try more of these recipes, so I may post more pictures/reviews later on. Feel free to continue posting your recipes and/or food pictures/reviews. I'll come back from time to time to update the index. I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Take care!

-Tiggerfan1
:tigger:

MerryChristmassign4.gif

Happy Snowed-In Baking Days!
I'm sending you all these virtual treats from my real kitchen to your computer screen!

DDC on her way to deliver cookies and gifts to the neighbors!
2008-12-20Christmasbaking002.jpg

What you see here is are the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (page 5) and the Pumpkin Pie Bars (page 3).

I had already made two kinds of chocolate chip cookies before I started my pumpkin baking so I didn't put the chocolate chips into the pumpkin cookies. I did have a few butterscotch chips left over in my pantry so we added those and they were BRILLIANT inside.

The pumpkin bars called for "1 cup chopped nuts." Well, I had a huge bag of shelled pistachios and so I used those. I think it would have been much better with pecans (Or heaven forbid, walnuts ... if you like that sort of thing). Even peanuts may have been good? :confused3

Pumpkin Bars
2008-12-20Christmasbaking015.jpg

It also called for part of the base of the bar to be reserved for the topping but I didn't do that as there wasn't enough of the base to fill my tiny little pan so I used the "reserved" stuff as my crust. I love crust so I was happier that way anyway. I put in a little extra butter and about 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese into the crust mixture so that it wouldn't stick (I read reviews that this recipe was a stick to the pan one) and it seemed to do the trick. They were moist and did not stick at all. I used a brand new cookie sheet to cook it on as I do not have a decent baking dish. :rolleyes1

Everything came out great.

T H A N K S T I G G E R F A N 1 ! ! ! ! !

Gourd Goodies
2008-12-20Christmasbaking013.jpg

I'm baaaaaaaaack!! :eek: (Cue horror music) I decided to come out of retirement to share another pumpkin picture! This past weekend, I tried the pumpkin chocolate chip brownie recipe. Oooh, baby, it was good! :woohoo:

pumpkinpics044.jpg

Hey, who took a bite out of that brownie? :confused3 :rolleyes1

This is a great low-fat brownie recipe. These brownies are more cake-like than regular brownies, but I won't hold that against them. ;) Since I didn't have any allspice, I substituted 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (with a pinch of nutmeg thrown in for good measure). I had to bake the brownies a little longer than the recipe says to. I ended up baking them for about 25-30 minutes. Every oven is different, so you may want to check them after 15 minutes.

I'll definitely be making these brownies again! :thumbsup2

Travelmel- Hey! Thanks again for posting your pumpkin pictures! (I saw them on your seasonal picture thread before they got deleted.) I'm glad that the pumpkin goodies turned out well. Thanks for the tip about the pumpkin pie bar crust, too. I want to try those bars one day. I've been wanting to try your mashed rutabaga recipe too, but they haven't had any nice-looking rutabagas at the store. Come to think of it, they haven't had very good-looking produce in general for the past few weeks. :confused3 Anyway, I hope that I'll be able to try them soon. When I do, I'll definitely let you know!

By the way, your signature is hilarious! :rotfl2: I hope that they're playing nice "muzak" on the phone!! :rotfl:

Mmmmm... pumpkin brownies! They look marvelous. I'm telling you we need those cinnamon chips SO BAD! SIGH

I went to look for my seasonal thread and I can't find it. :confused3

:rotfl2:

I used to get email alerts for it but my email is all haywire and blewie.. gone, POOF!

Can you help me find it?

Thanks!
MElissa

Mmmmm... pumpkin brownies! They look marvelous. I'm telling you we need those cinnamon chips SO BAD! SIGH

I went to look for my seasonal thread and I can't find it. :confused3

:rotfl2:

I used to get email alerts for it but my email is all haywire and blewie.. gone, POOF!

Can you help me find it?

Thanks!
MElissa

Help is on the way! :thumbsup2

LOL Thanks! I've been so busy with my kids' homework that I have barely been online at all. I miss being on the same thread with you! It's like we were co-workers and got transferred to different cities! LOL we'll have to start something fun again soon!

Melissa

I miss you, too! :sad: :flower3: We've had a lot of fun times here on this thread. We gotta start another chat thread (that's cleverly disguised as a recipe thread)! :rotfl: I was seriously thinking of starting a "healthy recipes" thread here on the cooking board, but I'm pretty sure that the WISH board already has one. Got any ideas? If not, I'll hunt up some more gourd recipes and we can continue chatting on this thread. I can see it now.......we'll be talking about pumpkin recipes in July!!! :rotfl2:

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that I made some pumpkin bread pudding today! It's different from the recipe that I posted on this thread, though. :blush:

Pumpkin Bread Pudding II (from epicurious.com)

1 cup heavy cream *
3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/2 cup whole milk *
1/2 cup sugar *
2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon *
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger *
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice *
Pinch of ground cloves *
5 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old baguette or crusty bread
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted *

*Note: I made several changes to the recipe based on the reviews. I used half-and-half instead of heavy cream and omitted the extra 1/2 cup of whole milk. I also used half white sugar and half brown sugar, added an extra 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and doubled the spices. I also omitted the melted butter.

-Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.

-Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, and spices in a bowl.

-Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish and bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.

Melissa- I forgot to tell you about one of my new year's resolutions (yes, I actually make them). My goal is to try at least one new recipe every week. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a dork with a capital "D"!!! :laughing: I've kept it up so far. However, it has only been a couple of weeks. :lmao:

Pumpkin Bread Pudding II

pumpkinpics047.jpg

I really liked this recipe. It makes a nice, firm bread pudding, which is just the way I like it. I can't stand mushy bread pudding. It's not a very pretty dessert, but it's really delicious. Challah was my choice of bread. I decided to lightly toast the bread cubes instead of letting it get stale. It seemed to work out pretty well. There's no sauce for this recipe. In my opinion, it doesn't really need a sauce. It's really good on its own. I'm very tempted to drizzle some chocolate ganache on the pudding, though. Oooh! Where's the drooling smilie? If you want, you could add chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

I can't believe this thread is still kicking! I thought of it tonight...we went to dinner (to a place I'd never been) and I looked at their menu online before we went. They had pumpkin bread pudding! Yay! But, no...it was a special they no longer had. I had carrot cake, which was delish, but was sad I didn't get the bread pudding. Thought you ladies would understand!

I can't believe this thread is still kicking! I thought of it tonight...we went to dinner (to a place I'd never been) and I looked at their menu online before we went. They had pumpkin bread pudding! Yay! But, no...it was a special they no longer had. I had carrot cake, which was delish, but was sad I didn't get the bread pudding. Thought you ladies would understand!

Hey, Paint! :wave2: :hug: Long time no see! Thanks for dropping by. Actually, this thread has been quiet for a while, but I recently started posting on it again. I decided to "retire" from this thread a week or two before Christmas, but I came out of retirement a few days ago to post a picture and review of a recipe that I had made.

That's amazing that you wanted some pumpkin bread pudding on the same day that I posted the picture. Freaky! I totally understand your disappointment. I'd be sad too if I missed out on any good pumpkin dessert. Pumpkin freaks unite!! :grouphug: Now you can make your own pumpkin bread pudding! It's really easy. If you don't have all the spices, just use 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon. If you try it, please come back and let me know how it turned out.

There's quite a bit of Unicorn stuff going on. We're organizing a Unicorn book club. I'll PM you about our "bring back the smilies" campaign. We were still partying on the Celebration board, but it has been kinda quiet lately. Hope to see you back on the UC thread soon. We've missed you!

:wave2: Thanks for keeping this thread up! Those pumpkin brownies look very good. :)

Hey, WS! :wave2: :goodvibes Thanks for stopping by. I haven't seen you around on the DIS in a while. I hope that everything is OK.

Glad you enjoyed the brownie picture! If you try the recipe for yourself, please come back and let me know how it turned out. :thumbsup2

Hey, WS! :wave2: :goodvibes Thanks for stopping by. I haven't seen you around on the DIS in a while. I hope that everything is OK.

Glad you enjoyed the brownie picture! If you try the recipe for yourself, please come back and let me know how it turned out. :thumbsup2

Everything's fine, I just haven't had time lately to manage a visit to the DIS. Thanks for asking! :)

Sorry, not the right season for these, but every time I come across a new recipe I better share it ASAP because I may not remember later.:rotfl:

Pumpkin Dessert Dip
* 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
* 8 oz whipped cream cheese
* 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
* 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
In medium bowl: Beat together all ingredients. Refrigerate one hour.
Serve with:

Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
Vanilla Wafers
Gingersnaps
Spiced wafers
Apple Slices

Pumpkin Salad Dressing
* 3/4 cup Olive oil (or other light, neutral oil)
* 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
* 1/2 cup Pumpkin Butter
* Salt and Pepper to taste.

Whisk dressing ingredients together, adding salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and mix well.

Pumpkin Potatoes
The new Holiday Tradition!
* 1 box Garlic Mashed Potatoes
* 2 2/3 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 4 tbsp butter
* 1 can pumpkin
Heat water, milk, and butter. Add pumpkin and seasoning packets. Mix in potatoes and enjoy!
Drizzle with a bit of maple syrup for a sweeter dish or serve with gravy for a savory dish.

Pumpkin Gnocchi with Basil Oil
gnocchi dough:
1-2 cups semolina flour
1 cup cooked white rice, pureed until smooth
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup pureed cooked butternut squash or canned pumpkin
spring or filtered water

basil oil:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch sea salt
6-8 leaves fresh basil, left whole
Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish

Instructions
Make the pasta. Sift flour onto a dry work surface. Make a well in the center of flour and add rice, salt, oil and pureed squash. Mix gradually, kneading into a smooth, soft dough by drawing small amount of flour in from the edges as you knead. Add more flour if the dough seems too sticky or more water if it feels too dry–but in both cases, add small amounts very slowly so as not to jeopardize the quality of the dough. Continue kneading until dough is a soft, workable ball, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Makes about 1 pound of dough.

To make the gnocchi, flour a fork. Pinch off 1-inch pieces of dough and roll into balls between your fingers. Run the pasta ball on the fork to create ridges. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with semolina. Repeat until you have made the desired amount of gnocchi. (The balance of the dough can be frozen.)

Bring a pot of water to the boil, with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook the gnocchi until just tender, about 2 minutes. The gnocchi will sink to the bottom of the pot. When it rises, it is done. Drain, but do not rinse.

While the pasta cooks, make the oil. Place all ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat and cook for 3-4 minutes to develop the flavors. Strain the oil and toss with cooked gnocchi. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs and serve immediately.

Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits
* 3 3/4 cups Buttermilk Baking Mix
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 can Sweet Potato Puree
* 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
* 1 tbsp Sugar, optional (but we use it!)
Preheat oven to 400°. In small bowl, mix milk, sweet potato puree, and spices.
In medium bowl, cut butter into baking mix. Add wet ingredients and mix just until moistened.
Drop by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle tops with sugar and bake about 12 minutes or until done.

Sorry, not the right season for these, but every time I come across a new recipe I better share it ASAP because I may not remember later.:rotfl:

Wow!! Thanks so much for sharing all those recipes, mel63! They sound great. :goodvibes Sorry for taking so long to reply. I don't come to the cooking board as often as I used to. I'll update the index tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Holy cow! The thread is back from the dead!
Well, the only pumpkin-ish thing I've made lately was...mix one box choc. cake mix and one can pure pumpkin. Pour into lined cupcake cups and bake at 350 for 20 mins. It is a lowfat recipe and they are so good...if you reheat them for 10-15 seconds, they taste like frosting. Not pumpkiny, but very moist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter