The pumpkin, fall/winter squash and sweet potato recipe thread

Pumpkin Chat Recipe
Core Pumpkin
Remove Nuts
Place them on the Dis
Teach them to type
Roast Until Done!

:rotfl2:

:rotfl: :lmao: Too funny!!! Best recipe ever!!! I am soooo going to include that recipe in the index. :laughing: Have you heard of the Too Hot Tamales? Well, we're the Two Hot Pepitas! :rotfl2:

Love the pumpkin pancake recipe title! I use Bisquick if I am feeling Martha Stewart-ish or some complete mix if I am lazier.
Pumpkin crunch cake looks so good. That'd go well with this morning's coffee.
My TGiving would have horrified you pumpkin purists...it horrified me! My sister said she was going to make a sweet potato souffle...I called in the morning and she was going with plain baked. NOOOO! Dh went out and bought the stuff I needed (I had to cut corners with canned potatoes). Nobody ate the plain baked! Then, her dh made a pumpkin pie...from a Jello Pumpkin pudding mix!:scared1: This thread was not well represented!

:laughing: I thought you'd appreciate the title. Thanks again for the pumpkin pancake suggestion, Paint! :thumbsup2

Too bad about your Thanksgiving day. Plain sweet potatoes? I don't think so! But....to each his own. That's great that you tried to save the day w/ the canned sweet potatoes. You deserve a medal of honor.

Message for your sister's husband: Beware the wrath of the food gods!! :scared1: :rotfl: Just kidding!

I've been having to squeeze all my time on the DIS lately into short intervals, and am just now getting a chance to catch up with this thread! I just read the Thanksgiving reports - you all are fantastic cooks! :thumbsup2 Perhaps I'll have to try a few of these recipes for Christmas. :santa:

Thanks, WS! I'm glad you enjoyed our kooky T-day reports. If you try any of the recipes, come back and let us know how it turned out--good, bad, or so-so. :)

OK, I'm officially jealous! I've never been to Disneyland and have heard so much about the Aladdin show, as well as all the other great entertainment they have there. There are MANY wonderfully hilarious videos on YouTube of Alice and the Mad Hatter greeting with guests at Disneyland - the character interaction seems to be much more spontenous and entertaining than at WDW. Not that WDW does a bad job at it, it's just that it seems like it's more unexpected as to what the characters will do at DL instead of the hug/autograph/picture routine. I'd also like to see their different variations of the rides that are at both DL and WDW.

Hopefully some day I'll make it to Disneyland. :smickey:

I hope you get to go to Disneyland someday, too. Obviously, it's a lot smaller than WDW, but it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of randomly running into a character at DL or DCA. I've taken a picture with Mickey and Minnie at their respective houses in Toontown, but that's about it. I think the characters hide when they see me coming! :rotfl:

You're lucky that you've been able to go to WDW so many times, though. And a Disney cruise to boot! Where's the green-eyed, jealous smilie? :laughing:

And me to WDW! Wouldn't it be great if we found out that we looked EXACTLY alike and we could switch lives for a week or two? A Tale of Two Dis-ers??

Oh my gosh! What a great idea for a reality show! DISer Swap. The ratings would go through the roof! I'd be watching it religiously. popcorn:: :happytv:

OK, it's official. I'm going to rename this thread "The Pumpkin Chat Thread". :rotfl:

Here's my Aunt M's exact recipe for pumpkin crunch (hers is simply called pumpkin crunch, not pumpkin crunch cake).

pumpkinpics013.jpg

Pumpkin Crunch

1 can solid-pack pumpkin (29 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box yellow pudding cake mix
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup butter, melted

Frosting:
1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 cup cool whip

-Mix the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon together. Pour into a 9X13 inch pan lined with wax paper. Pour 1 box of cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture and pat nuts on the cake mix. Spoon melted butter evenly over the nuts.

-Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. When done, invert onto tray and peel off the waxed paper. When slightly cooled, spread frosting on top.

-To make the frosting, beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar. Fold in cool whip. Spread over the cake evenly. Refrigerate.

:

Oh my gosh! What a great idea for a reality show! DISer Swap. The ratings would go through the roof! I'd be watching it religiously. popcorn:: :happytv:

OK, it's official. I'm going to rename this thread "The Pumpkin Chat Thread". :rotfl:

Yes, the dis-swap, I love it!

Pumpkin Chat with the Two Hot Pepitas!

Eye yi yi yi!! Areeba, Areeba!

Pumpkin Chat with the Two Hot Pepitas!

I love it! Pumpkin Chat with the Two Hot Pepitas--the cooking board's guilty pleasure. :rotfl: I really wish that I could change the title of this thread to say just that. However, it may not go over so well. I can see the headline now: Tiggerfan1 Gets Kicked Off Cooking Board. That would be very sad..........but the headline would make a great tag! :lmao:

By the way, I really did include your "pumpkin chat" recipe in the index. It's under "miscellaneous". :teeth:

Hi, Mel (mind if I call you Mel?) Just read a little bit more of your TR. Here are more of my thoughts:

"There....was....blood on the saddle..." :rotfl: :lmao:

Freddie the flute....I wondered what that was in your avatar! That's so sweet that your DH made a replica of that flute. What a guy! :love:

Wow, tons of nostalgia. I'm a little too young to completely relate, but I recognized most of the shows that you guys were talking about. Sometimes I would watch reruns of Fantasy Island with my mom when I was little. "De plane, boss! De plane!!" :rotfl:

Oh. My. Gosh. I want that I Love Lucy clock!!!! I'm a big I Love Lucy fan!!! :)

Awesome Autopia pics! I'm going to try that eyebrow arch that your DH does whenever I see people who don't use their turn signals. :laughing: For some reason, I can't drive those Autopia cars. There are 8 year olds that drive better than I do!

That picture with circles that were moving (but not really moving) was really cool. I think I've seen something similar to that before. I love those optical illusion pictures!

Thanks for including the psychedelic Tigger picture from the Winnie the Pooh ride. I loved that! :tigger:

OK, I'll read more later. TTFN!

Hi, Mel (mind if I call you Mel?)

I actually hate being called Mel BUT... I don't care here on the Dis cause I did use it as my screen name so that's what I get! :headache: It's ok though.. I'm fine with it!

Ha! I'm glad you're enjoying all the little touches in my TR... I sure have a good time going OT! Heck, I had a good time On-T! It makes all the difference to know that somebody is enjoying my efforts. :hug:

Thanks Tigger-Fan!

I actually hate being called Mel BUT... I don't care here on the Dis cause I did use it as my screen name so that's what I get! :headache: It's ok though.. I'm fine with it!

If you don't like being called Mel, I'll find another nickname for you. I'm flexible like that. :laughing: How about Trav? No, I don't like that. Hmmm.....

:idea: I've got it! I'll call you Betty. Here's why. Please click on the link below. Turn the volume up and listen closely between :50 and 1:00. :teeth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiVaE-pKqM

Ha! I'm glad you're enjoying all the little touches in my TR... I sure have a good time going OT! Heck, I had a good time On-T! It makes all the difference to know that somebody is enjoying my efforts. :hug:

Thanks Tigger-Fan!

Awwww, you're welcome. :flower3: Your TR's really fun to read!

:rotfl: I could call you Lucy. Lucy Ricardo had red hair. I'll be Ethel. :lmao: Seriously, how about I just call you by your real name--Melissa. I found that out when I was reading your TR. You can call me TF1 or Tiggs. :cool2: Or you can call me Al. :laughing:

By the way, that song was one of my favorites when I was a kid. My mother worried about me. I don't blame her.

If you're celebrating St. Nicholas' Day this year, don't forget to leave your boots out tonight! I've got my high-heeled, knee-length boots right next to the chim-a-ney where St. Nick can see them. I'm expecting lots of candy tomorrow, Santa!!

:
By the way, that song was one of my favorites when I was a kid. My mother worried about me. I don't blame her.

I had the computer on really loud when I clicked your link.. DD's and I were rockin out! Great music!

good luck with that St Nick thing! :santa:

I'm a little worried that you're going to get a "Great Pumpkin" reaction. Maybe your boots aren't sincere enough??

:lmao:

I had the computer on really loud when I clicked your link.. DD's and I were rockin out! Great music!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the music! Who am I kidding? I still love that song! And my mother still worries about me. Again, I don't blame her.

I'm a little worried that you're going to get a "Great Pumpkin" reaction. Maybe your boots aren't sincere enough??

:lmao:

What are you talking about? That whole Great Pumpkin not showing up for Halloween thing was all just a misunderstanding. He was just late or tied up or something.........right? :scared: And what could be more sincere than a pair of high-heeled Nine West boots? They're my best pair of shoes....if you don't count my flip flops. You can't fit much candy in those. Or should I say on those. Santa will show up. I feel sure of that. Just wait and see. :thumbsup2

About my first St. Nicholas' Day experience............

When MazdaUK told us about how she and her family celebrate St. Nicholas' day each year, I decided that I was going to celebrate it this year, too. The rest of my family chose not to participate. They're not used to celebrating different holiday traditions. So, I was on my own. Undaunted, I happily set out my high-heeled boots. So that Santa wouldn't have to go through the trouble of getting down the chimney flue, I climbed up on the roof and put my boots next to the chimney stack. I figured that my boots would be OK. There was no rain in the forecast. I also left a plate of cookies and a glass of milk for good measure. When I got up this morning, I went up on the roof to expecting to see my boots filled with candy (I was hoping for some money, too). When I looked in my boots, I saw that they were filled with..............................STICKS!!!! :mad: Santa didn't even touch the milk and cookies. Instead, he left a note. It said, "Nice try." :eek: I don't understand it!! I've been a perfect angel all year! :angel: Well.....almost perfect. After all the trouble I went through! I nearly broke my neck trying to get up on the roof! SANTA, YOU OWE ME RESTITUTION!!!! I'll sue you for every candy cane you've got up there in the North Pole, if I have to!!!! :furious:

On a happier note, it's a comfortable 60 degrees here in the State of Confusion. Perfect weather for shopping. :teeth:

Happy St. Nicholas' Day!!!

Souffle.... It has a certain ring to it!

And me to WDW! Wouldn't it be great if we found out that we looked EXACTLY alike and we could switch lives for a week or two? A Tale of Two Dis-ers??

:laughing:

I hope you get to make it to WDW, too! :)

I hope you get to go to Disneyland someday, too. Obviously, it's a lot smaller than WDW, but it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of randomly running into a character at DL or DCA. I've taken a picture with Mickey and Minnie at their respective houses in Toontown, but that's about it. I think the characters hide when they see me coming! :rotfl:

You're lucky that you've been able to go to WDW so many times, though. And a Disney cruise to boot! Where's the green-eyed, jealous smilie? :laughing:

:laughing: Does even Tigger hide?

I'm sorry about your St. Nicholas' Day experience - maybe next year? :santa:

We would have never gone on a Disney cruise by ourselves - they're so expensive! :scared1: Another family member wanted to pay for everybody to go, and we couldn't pass that up. ;)

:laughing: Does even Tigger hide?

Apparently, he does. That's probably why I haven't met him yet. Sad, ain't it? :sad2:

I'm sorry about your St. Nicholas' Day experience - maybe next year? :santa:

I appreciate your sympathy. However, I will definitely NOT be celebrating St. Nick's Day next year. I talked to a lawyer and found out that I have sufficient grounds for a lawsuit against Santa. My lawyer's name is J. Cheever Loophole.

groucho_marx.jpg

Is it just me or does he remind you of Groucho Marx? Maybe it's just me..... Anyway, he's the best lawyer I could find. He's never lost a case...........and never won one either. A perfect record. :thumbsup2 (OK, I admit it. I stole that line from an Addams Family episode. I hope the show's writers won't sue me. :scared:)

We would have never gone on a Disney cruise by ourselves - they're so expensive! :scared1: Another family member wanted to pay for everybody to go, and we couldn't pass that up. ;)

Wow, what a nice relative! Lucky you! :thumbsup2 :cool1:

:teeth: I'm glad you appreciate my wacky sense of humor. :hug:

By the way, what's the story behind your new signature? It's really freaky. I love it! :laughing:

Oh I just remembered something that I had thought about posting last night - have any of you cooks bought one of the Disney cookbooks they sell in the parks? We bought one during our last trip . . . we've only tried one recipe so far, and it was for Tonga Toast from the Polynesian. I believe we had to improvise a bit because the ingredients were a bit pricey, but it still turned out AWESOME. :thumbsup2 :stitch:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter