The priced-out pity party thread.

I say welcome to the party that started back when the first round of 2015 cruises were released. It's nice to have you join us! :)

I've been meaning to ask old-timers if the same thing happened last year. I guess it did?

Yeah, just got my reply about Princess from my agent (She doesn't just do disney so ask yours as well if you are looking to book other lines)

Itinerary: 12 Night British Isles
Departing: From London/Southampton, England
Date: Monday, June 13, 2016
Ship: Caribbean Princess

2 adults - Balcony Stateroom BF- $6,448.00 total for 2 with all taxes, govt and port fees

Apparently I forgot to insert my quote but @bumbershoot this is directed at you. :-)

Did you enjoy RCCL to Alaska? I have a hold on DCL Alaska but the price is a bit much and I was looking at RCCL Alaska and the prices are much better. Did you do a TR on your RCCL to Alaska?
I might look into Princess for Alaska. They specialize there and have a number of ships there each summer.

I was all excited to book May Western Caribbean on the Fantasy until I went online to see that it would cost myself and daughter $4000 for Cat 5e and then factor in the exchange rate (I am Canadian). That trip will cost $5000 not including flight taxes or tips?! I just jumped on to Royals site for Western and I am looking at $2400. My love affair with DCL has officially ended!

I won't lie, I thought we were reasonably well off until I saw the pricing on the British Isles cruise and I realized we could buy a very nice *pre-owned car* for the cost of two adults on that sailing.

So feel free to pull up a chair, have a drink, and join me. Looking at the Cunard prices made me feel a little better, too--the dream is still within reach, just not on DCL.

Another Platinum here joining the party. Sooooo disappointed in DCL I could cry.

I didn't read all posts, because I'm on RCI right now and the wifi SUCKS. But I will say that I am definitely willing to pay DCL prices for DCL service. This has been the worst cruise ever, and we are in the Royal Suite! I think much of it has to do with the rudeness of the fellow passengers (3,000 Chinese, 400 non-Chinese). But also horrible incidents with crew (e.g., the manager of Chops - their Palo - yelling and pointing his finger at me when I was upset that they ignored me for 20 minutes - not even a drink!, and a chef yelling at his cook on the buffet line in front of the guests - I asked him to stop because it makes us guests uncomfortable; he told me it was none of my business and then dared me to make a complaint, etc.) I could go on and on. We won't be back. At least not in China. TOTALLY different situation. Not an equal comparison at all.

I booked the 12 nt. Greek Isles for way too much money. I think it's a ridiculous price, but I just wanted to book on opening day and decide later. THAT is why the prices end up in the stratosphere. My thought is that I'll get what I pay for. It's the itinerary I want on the company I want. I couldn't even use my OBB, but that was okay since I'd rather pay full price for a trip I want to take instead of 90% on a trip I kinda sorta want to take. We cancelled a B2B DCL cruise to be on this one right now. I wish I hadn't!

I'll be joining the pity party too. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but it is definitely a sad moment for me. But I get it that life is about change. We've been cruising with Disney since 2002. We've done quite a bit with them. I even booked the Norway/Iceland cruise for this June but canceled as our oldest is going away to college and I just wasn't sure how our cash flow would be effected. I didn't call yesterday even though we are gold members because the morning prices just looked crazy. I did look this morning and 4A cabin for the 4 of us is $20064. We stayed in a suite both times when we sailed the Mediterranean and the Baltics for way less. In the $11k to $12k range. I love DCL and love the product they offer but I can't at these prices. I hope to be back one day when I sail off season... Off to check out Celebrity...

We were going to try for the Alaskan cruise next August, but for $12,500 then $2,000 for flights. Plus port excursions. That's around $16,000!
So we are going to Aulani instead. $7,000 plus $2,000 for flight. That's for a 1 bedroom villa for 8 nights!

We were going to try for the Alaskan cruise next August, but for $12,500 then $2,000 for flights. Plus port excursions. That's around $16,000!
So we are going to Aulani instead. $7,000 plus $2,000 for flight. That's for a 1 bedroom villa for 8 nights!
I LOVE hawaii. We are going back for 2 weeks next year. (not disney though)

I've been meaning to ask old-timers if the same thing happened last year. I guess it did?
There's the "price out" hullabaloo at ever itinerary release. Every release I've seen since 2011. Some people are okay with increases. Some aren't. Some see the prices that aren't really that different but they've been on enough Disney cruises that it doesn't bother them to consider other options not just for pricing reasons. It's normal.

On a happy note if you can take 2 weeks off and don't mind pulling your kid from school (I did), the West Bound Panama Canal is crazy cheap compared to previous years!

Wow!! Super deal. Don't know if I can take my daughter out of school for 2 weeks though! Enjoy your cruise!

I have totally tried to talk my son into Aulani for next May. He's not interested. Ugh. Another to add to the list of when they're gone. LOL!

Son's ultimate travel wishes are so vastly different from what you'd expect of a 17/18 yro. He wants to see the Northern Lights more than anything but that doesn't work with the school year/graduation. Then he'd like to go to Tibet. Whaaaaa??? That sounds like a 20-something's fabulous adventure trips with friends. This is also the child who came home from the last day of Kindergarten and announced for summer vacation he wanted to go to Australia to meet Steve Irwin. He went to Nana's house and watched Steve on tv. LOL!

All of our cruises have only been on DCL, but we are sailing Norwegian for the first time in April 2016. $2465.00 for five people in an oceanview with free ultimate beverage package vs. $7000.00 plus for a DCL oceanview during the same week with a comparable itinerary (and no free alcohol for me and DH). I just couldn't justify paying so much more, no matter how much I love Disney.

They have a week on the Fantasy in August that is priced less than this year....so I'm considering it.

Joining in the pity party here, but with an extra helping of tears. Spare a thought for us poor Canadian DCL lovers and our current dilemma. After years at par, the Canadian dollar has dropped over 25% against the US dollar in the past 12 months. So we're looking at a 25% price increase BEFORE we apply the new 2016 prices! So the $7800 summer Fantasy cruise that would have cost me about $7800 Cdn last year now costs over $10 000!!!!

I'll just be over here sobbing into my double-double for a while.

Oh I feel your pain! We live in Vancouver and have not paid in full yet our upcoming September cruise (pretty sure we should just do it NOW instead of July). Also pretty sure this will be our first and ONLY Disney cruise :(

Take heart, the prices on the Princess website are in Canadian dollars!!! Loving that!! but for now I shall join you in the sob fest, just hold the sugar in my coffee please, I'll just take one cream ;-)

I've been on one Disney Cruise in 1998 and unless I am able to sometime do one of the transatlantic might not be able to again. I can justify a bit extra but I can almost go on two vacations for the price of one.

When my travel agent priced out the Iceland cruise he said people would have be nuts to pay that.

Last edited:
There's the "price out" hullabaloo at ever itinerary release. Every release I've seen since 2011. Some people are okay with increases. Some aren't. Some see the prices that aren't really that different but they've been on enough Disney cruises that it doesn't bother them to consider other options not just for pricing reasons. It's normal.

I think you are "Right on the Money", it seems like everyone can't wait until the itineraries & rates come out, and then most are shocked by the price increases.

Are they paying? Lots of discounts this year, and they have raised the prices for next May. They can't even sell this May. I find it strange.
Apparently lots of people are, supply and demand, as the demand for a product goes up, so goes the price. If DCL was not selling cabins, the prices would fall. That's why they keep raising the tickets prices for Park admission year after year, except during the recession a few years ago.

I think what it's done is confirmed that mid-May I will be moving my OBB on the Wonder to the Caribbean Cruise on the Magic during our 2016 Spring Break and then rebooking the Wonder without OBB benefits (shorter cruise so smaller OBC). Get my Grand Slam in before i can't anymore. And then look at other options.

Adventure is out there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter