The Poly run down? Say it isn't so!

Boardwalk Tigger

DIS Veteran
Finally got my plans in order for a vacation this December with a split at the BCV's and the Poly. This will be a first time at Poly. We will be there for New Years Eve so I decided to go with the Lagoon view ( and will try gardenview concierge in the Spring). You great people on this board helped me to sort out the Poly choices:) Ok now I am reading posts about Poly being run down......What is the deal here:( I thought it would be great to try the Poly and watch the fireworks from this resort but if it is at all run down I would rather stay elsewhere. Thanks, would appreciate for any recent reports:bounce: :bounce:

In 2001 the rooms we stayed in were not up to par. The first had mold on the ceiling and smelled bad. Kind of like a Florida room smell with all that humidity. We immediately requested a room change. The second room had less mold on the ceiling and didn't smell quite as bad. I'm very sensitive to scents. My wife (and I think most others) wouldn't really have noticed the smell. Our friends said their room was great down to the last detail.

But, what the hey. We were at the Polynesian and thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent quite a bit of time in the room relaxing and it had Disney magic in it for sure.

Loved the quiet pool. The rest of the hotel grounds seemed in good shape. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the volcano pool. I like the CR pool better, but I'm in the minority.

I think you'll love the Poly.

I think that most of the buildings have been recently renovated. :D

I'm one of those that 'like' the Polynesian. Is it my favorite? No. But it's certainly not 'run down'. They were going for a Polynesian island look. From what I've seen in photos of some areas in Polynesia, they have succeeded. But to some I'm sure it looks more like a Chinese restaurant. I would say to not worry about staying there. It's really very nice. It's not all shiney and new looking. If that's what people want then they should be staying someplace else. Our room was clean. Noisy yes, but that was due in large part to the people next door. A lot of noise came thru the connecting door. Yes, it was the least wonderful of all our WDW experiences. But, it certainly wasn't horrible. Someplace had to be in last place. It was just our overall experience at some other resorts were better. Stop worrying!!! You'll love it. Go on over to tikiman's site. I can't remember exactly what it is but someone here will. It's a terrific Polynesian web site,with lots of info and pictures.

I was in the Hawaii building in June of 2003, I was skeptical that it would be run down, to my surprise it wasn't. I guess when I go into a room I don't go over it with a fine tooth combfor an old hotel it is kept up pretty good Have a great time, I think you will enjoy it. :D

I just got back from a week's stay at the Polynesian. It certainly isn't my favorite hotel and I doubt I'll stay there again, but I definitely don't think that it is run down. Yes, it is a little dated looking, but not run down. I didn't have any issues with the cleanliness of the room and the bathroom was large and very modern.

The Polynesian theme just didn't do it for us and we didn't like how spread apart the resort was with the "longhouses". Also, it felt dated to us (a major reason why we have no desire to stay at the Contemporary). However, the restaurants were great and we loved being able to hop on the monorail.

So... if the Polynesian theme appeals to you, I think you'll love it!

It is certainly NOT rundown. I'm no Disney cheerleader, and when I stayed last summer I expected the same rather kitschy island experience I got when I stayed there back in 1987....it turns out the whoel resort had been given a complete remake/remodel.

Since the Polynesian is, after 30 years, still the most popular resort, it's gotten quite a few of these makeovers. Over the last two years every longhouse has gotten work; from what I've read Niue and Raratonga are closed for repairs.

Don't worry about it: you'll love the Polynesian.

The Poly does an incredible job of capturing that island spirit. You just have to decide whether that fits into your idea of paradise. Those that do seem to *overwhelmingly* love the Poly, those that don't seem to think it looks old and "run down". YMMV. :)

We have stayed at the Poly in excess of 20 different times, have stayed in almost every longhouse...and never had a bad room or witnessed a "run down" appearance inside rooms, lobby, pools, beach, docks, etc....

If you like the Polynesian Theme..you will love it! ::yes::

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We stayed at the Poly in 2000 . . .we were in Tuvalu . . .had an awesome view of the lagoon . . only thing was that the 2nd floor didn't have a balcony. I didn't know any better at the time. We haven't been back there since . . .but I have to say that we really loved the Poly . . the nightly torch lighting . . the atmosphere . .the kids had a blast there, even before the volcano pool was done . . .It was a real relaxing, laid back resort in my opinion . . .

We'll be staying there again in April 05 as part of our land/sea package and can't wait!

As far as it being run down . . .it wasn't in 2000 and that was before some longhouses were rehabed.

Don't worry, go, have fun!::yes:: :wave:

We just got back from 4 nights at CR Tower Club and 4 nights at YC Concierge and both DW and I agree (IMHO) that the Poly is the best resort on the property. I just posted another thread on our trip last week and why we like the Poly and did not care for CR or YC (though YC is a fabulous resort). Location, restaurants, relaxing atmosphere, 3 story buildings, the pool, room size and decor. Overall it fits our requirements the best. Some people just like new buildings better than older ones, no matter how well it is maintained. Give me the Poly's room decor over the stark white walls of the newer resorts anyday. Some people like big fancy lobbies. I can't stand walking through one in my bathing suit to get to the pool. Everyone at the Poly says aloha, at the other resorts you barely get a grunt. Disney has remodelled a number of the buildings and were working on a couple when we were there last week. Next trip to WDW, it is the Poly for us. Tikiman, I am with you from now on.

OneMoreTry - What do you like about the pool at CR??? It is a slab of concrete with a water slide, no shade or tables with umbrellas. Certainly not what I would expect from a modern expensive first class hotel these days. I hated it and plan to write a letter complaining about it to WDW.

I am not sure but a friend of mine felt it to be run down as well. She talked a lot about her room being "old" looking and when she showed me pictures she kept going, "see, look at how dark that wood is, its old."

LOL Sorry but it was funny. :) I teased her for weeks. Why? Because she was mistaking the Polynesian theme (dark coloring of wood in some places) for oldness. Its a theme that one could easily look at if they werent expecting it, and say, hrmm...its old.

Truthfully everytime I have been there its been wonderful. Clean rooms that always smelled great. Great views of the garden. Lots of great activities. This resort is near the top on my favorite list, but I like to try new things so I haven't been there in 5 years (AH Too Long! ;D) You'll have a great time there so don't worry about it. Just get ready for lots of green and different (in a good way) looking rooms. :)

I just got back a few days ago from a 10 night stay at the Poly. It is not run down at all! I love that resort. While some think the decor is old Brady bunch style it is really true Polynesia decor. They are not going to change it to some decor that is not true to theme. We have stayed at some of the nicer hotels in Oahu, Kaui, and Maui and they all had the look and feel of the Poly. Even the Royal Hawaiia, which is the famed hotel on Oahu, had all darker tones like the Poly. I don't know what some expect as far as decor goes.

Went to the Polynesian last year with DH, DD4 and DD1. My parents and sisters came for a few days, and thought the Polynesian was old looking. They would have preferred to stay at BC or GF. That being said....
DH and I LOVED it. We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon and thought the Polynesian was so vey close to being in Hawaii, without going. My parents and sisters didn't get that this is what the resorts in Hawaii look like. The theming was great. DH will not stay anywhere else, well we are staying in AKL for one night before our 7 night visit to the Polynesian in September. This is our way of "trying" a new resort
We loved the Polynesian because it was like two vacations in one. we had the "Family fun" of the parks, "all Princess, all the time" and the "escape" of the beautiful, luxurious Polynesian and its grounds. You will not go wrong with a stay in the Polynesian. We look at the Polynesian as a tropical escape to the sometimes madness of the parks.
We went last September to the Polynesian and loved it so much, we are returning this year as well!
Callie

We loved the Poly. Stayed there for a week in 2002 and it was wonderful. I have also been to Hawaii, and I must say the entrance, lobby and grounds really do capture the flavor of the islands.

Our room in Tokelau was perfect. Neat, clean, taken care of beautifully by Mousekeeping. Also, there is nothing better than enjoying that second cup of 100% Kona Press Pot Coffee over breakfast at the Kona Cafe and then walking a few steps to the Monorail for a quick trip to the Magic Kingdom.

Enjoy!

I'm starting to feel a little better after reading your posts. We have only stayed at the " newer resorts" and I was getting a little worried . I think it will be a great to be at the Poly for the fireworks on New Years Eve( I just can't stand the crowds in the parks) Last year we stayed at the Dolphin and got a view of the fireworks from MGM. This should be better. :)

My family has wanted to stay at the Poly for such a long time, but I have been hesitant because of many of the concerns already shared. However, I secretly switched our reservations to Poly for our next trip. One thing that made me excited about our future stay is the photo section of this site; it has beautiful pictures of this resort, and they made anxious to arrive. Make sure and check them out!

Even upon arrival if I don't like the resort/rooms, I know the landscaping, torches, pool, large room size, and transportation will make-up for it as well as the excitment of my family's surprise. And I'll be at WDW!

No resort has 100% approval, and truly the only way to ever to know is to actually try it. The Poly has such a loyal following that that says quite a lot about it. And I think to watch the NYE fireworks from your room without the crowds will be immeasurably wonderful. We watched them from WL and were in awe!

Hi: We just came back from a stay at the polynesian and the french quarter,

The polys rooms are much bigger than most, and I love having the huge sliding doors, the whole width of the room.

The room was not as bright (referring to decorating colours) as the brand new french quarter rooms, meaning they used a beige wallpaper on the walls, and curtains (we thought a nice green would make the rooms brighter looking) the bedspreads were opposite of french quarter, a subdued green beige, the french quarter has bright yellow and blue.

We were in tokelau with a garden view. We think that this building is going to be redone in a few months, it did not look like it needed it. No smell, I get migraine headaches from strong smells, and I was fine.

The grounds are so beautiful if you like plants, flowers, etc
Everything was clean, not rundown, just subdued colours, the bathroom was nice and bright, with a green marble counter, new shower curtain in green as well. The furniture was wicker looking.

If it were me and the cost was the same for gardenview concierge or lagoonview I would definitely do the concierge with the food, over the view anytime. We did the concierge for the first and only time 3 years ago and loved the availability of the food, snacks, drinks all day. It was for our 25th wedding anniv and took our teen children as well. The people in the lounge were great,
We loved the view from the lounge in the Hawaii building, looking at bay lake and the castle. The poly is our fav deluxe resort.

Deb.

I thought the rooms were clean and not run down at all! they
are also so large... we had 3 rooms that were all connecting
and that was great. there was NEVER any noise issues. We
stayed GV at the TAhiti. Being on the monorail line was
great!

I would stay there again.

sandy

I think there have been enough opinions presented here so I will just give you some facts. The Polynesian has gone through a major rehab including bringing in representatives from the Kaanapali Beach Resort to make the decore even more authentic back in the mid 90’s. They tore through every longhouse and gutted them while changing all the materials in the rooms as well as things around the resort. In 2001 they started doing a soft rehab of all the buildings to clean them up and repair things. Starting in 2002 they started to redo the foundations of the original longhouses and to do this they gutted the rooms. They replaced everything in the rooms and put in new temperature control systems. This is finishing up this month with the last two original longhouses with an exception of Tonga because the Suite building was constructed different. The newer longhouses were also constructed different and are not in need of the foundation work but they will still get some upgrades and work on the temperature control system in the next year or so. Much work is always going on behind the scenes of the Polynesian (as well as other resorts). There is not much that is still “original” about the resort. Even during this last construction the exterior wood, stairs, railings and trim has been removed so the wood is not even old. Also remember, the newer longhouses are only 3 years older than the Grand Floridian and I don’t see anyone calling it old.

It is ok to not like the theme of the Polynesian but I don’t think the old excuse works but that is just my opinion.

Aloha

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter