• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Poly Pool Gate Debate

I guess I would be curious to see if the Poly will clamp down on hopping once the quiet pool is being refurbed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is all the clamping they do.... SAB is the only pool where they have guards, right? Im not sure what else they'd do then if they don't have the manpower to patrol it. If people staying there let them in, thats not Disney's fault.

I never thought someone from MK with a day pass would try to use a pool at a resort. I agree with folks who said it seems like that would be way too much work. But I guess people who live nearby may do that. I don't know. How many people do you think actually do this? Maybe it's really just a small number. No way to really tell. It's like looking at people who decorate their MB in here. It seems like everyone is doing it...yet people report seeing very few decorated bands their entire trip. So....it is hard to get any real numbers. It may be much smaller than people realize.
I know this is from a while back but I just caught up on this thread. I agree it's hard to get any real numbers, but I do know it happens. I have a good friend that lives in Orlando and we had this conversation a while back--she said she didn't feel the need to look for an apartment complex with a pool, because they could just go over to one of the resorts and use the pool there. When I told her that wasn't allowed, she said "Well we're annual passholders." Which apparently she felt gave her the right to use the pools. We had the same conversation when she bought DVC. Apparently they and some of their friends do it all the time and while I like her it drives me crazy that she'd feel entitled to use what other people are paying for.
Now that I've been reading the posts in here....I'm sure I'm going to be watching the gates, just out of curiosity. I won't be able to help myself! LOL. I would like to ask again....is the pool as crowded in November. I've read several posts where people are saying: "it's way too cold to swim in November!" So....pool hopping may not be an issue. Anybody know how the pool crowds are in November?
We were there last November 1-10 and were able to swim several days, even after a cold front had come through at the beginning of our trip. Not sure about other pools, but the Dig Site at CSR was never crowded, and SAB was busy but not overly crowded.

I know this is from a while back but I just caught up on this thread. I agree it's hard to get any real numbers, but I do know it happens. I have a good friend that lives in Orlando and we had this conversation a while back--she said she didn't feel the need to look for an apartment complex with a pool, because they could just go over to one of the resorts and use the pool there. When I told her that wasn't allowed, she said "Well we're annual passholders." Which apparently she felt gave her the right to use the pools. We had the same conversation when she bought DVC. Apparently they and some of their friends do it all the time and while I like her it drives me crazy that she'd feel entitled to use what other people are paying for.

We were there last November 1-10 and were able to swim several days, even after a cold front had come through at the beginning of our trip. Not sure about other pools, but the Dig Site at CSR was never crowded, and SAB was busy but not overly crowded.
Wow! Unbelievable! People actually think because they are annual pass holders they can just go swim at resort pools! I hope there are not many of these people out there. This is beyond disrespectful! I guess there are those entitled people everywhere, even at the most Magical Place on Earth. I am just appalled!

I wouldn't be surprised if this is all the clamping they do.... SAB is the only pool where they have guards, right? Im not sure what else they'd do then if they don't have the manpower to patrol it. If people staying there let them in, thats not Disney's fault.

The reason they may not have the manpower is solely because they don't want hire people to do it. Its all about the money.

We just returned from Poly and I personally encountered someone trying to get in the pool area who had just come from Ohana to eat. They asked me if I could open the gate so they could use the bathroom and I said they would be better off using the Restroom in the lobby since the one by the pool is very wet!! And they walked away. We did see a few other people try to get in but realized they couldn't because their band would not work and they just walked away. Thankfully the gates worked to keep most people out but many people were holding the gate open for others walking behind them. I even had someone open a gate for me no questions asked. The gate sometimes wasn't opening. All in all, it did not affect our stay very much. The pool was very crowded in the mid day hours but we mostly went after the sun went down to avoid getting baked in the sun and it didn't seem as bad at that time of day.

The reason they may not have the manpower is solely because they don't want hire people to do it. Its all about the money.
True enough, but if Disney is going to list the pool (and other amenities) as part of what I get for paying to stay at the Poly, then they have the responsibility to assure that my use of those facilities isn't negatively impacted by crashers.

Wow! Unbelievable! People actually think because they are annual pass holders they can just go swim at resort pools! I hope there are not many of these people out there. This is beyond disrespectful! I guess there are those entitled people everywhere, even at the most Magical Place on Earth. I am just appalled!
I know. I'm a "rule follower" so this is just something I would never consider. It may not be a widespread thing, I don't know--she's always been the sort to try to get out of paying for things anyway--if you go out to dinner, she'll not order dessert to avoid paying for it and then "help"eat yours lol. I remember wondering at the time if there was just a misconception with locals about what their APs actually do entitle them to, or if most of them feel like paying for APs should earn them more perks--I know at one time she mentioned it was unfair AP holders didn't get EMH perks. But from my point of view as someone who doesn't get to go several times a week, that's why we pay to stay onsite.

True enough, but if Disney is going to list the pool (and other amenities) as part of what I get for paying to stay at the Poly, then they have the responsibility to assure that my use of those facilities isn't negatively impacted by crashers.

Which is why they put the locks on the gates instead of just a latch. I agree with you both, but I "get" why Disney is still trying to not increase labor costs. It does come down to the money and again, now at least, the guests themselves are partly to blame for it. I'm surprised at the number of people saying they would hold open the gate for others who are obviously waiting for that. They aren't wrong, it IS their vacation, but if they'd just close the door behind them there wouldn't be an issue. Is it really that bad that Disney trusts people to do the right thing? Like with the selfie sticks they didn't start the ban until a few fools couldn't stop using them in the rides where it is dangerous. A CM recently posted to reddit that their "Four Keys" to Disney are Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency (in that order). If I think of it that way it makes sense that they're choosing to be courteous to people first, then they're upholding the show (and not making it feel like big brother is watching or making a bunch of scenes fighting with freeloaders), THEN they worry about the efficiency of paying guests having full control of facilities. Until there is a safety issue or much more rampant abuse and complaining I really don't think they're going to do anything about it.

I know. I'm a "rule follower" so this is just something I would never consider. It may not be a widespread thing, I don't know--she's always been the sort to try to get out of paying for things anyway--if you go out to dinner, she'll not order dessert to avoid paying for it and then "help"eat yours lol. I remember wondering at the time if there was just a misconception with locals about what their APs actually do entitle them to, or if most of them feel like paying for APs should earn them more perks--I know at one time she mentioned it was unfair AP holders didn't get EMH perks. But from my point of view as someone who doesn't get to go several times a week, that's why we pay to stay onsite.

Can't AP holders use the water parks? Or is that only the premium pass?

Which is why they put the locks on the gates instead of just a latch. I agree with you both, but I "get" why Disney is still trying to not increase labor costs. It does come down to the money and again, now at least, the guests themselves are partly to blame for it. I'm surprised at the number of people saying they would hold open the gate for others who are obviously waiting for that. They aren't wrong, it IS their vacation, but if they'd just close the door behind them there wouldn't be an issue. Is it really that bad that Disney trusts people to do the right thing? Like with the selfie sticks they didn't start the ban until a few fools couldn't stop using them in the rides where it is dangerous. A CM recently posted to reddit that their "Four Keys" to Disney are Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency (in that order). If I think of it that way it makes sense that they're choosing to be courteous to people first, then they're upholding the show (and not making it feel like big brother is watching or making a bunch of scenes fighting with freeloaders), THEN they worry about the efficiency of paying guests having full control of facilities. Until there is a safety issue or much more rampant abuse and complaining I really don't think they're going to do anything about it.
Being "courteous" to the illegal pool hoppers is in actuality being discourteous to the people who paid big money to stay at deluxe resorts with well-themed pools. Those guests have every right to expect that the amenity that they are paying for should not be freely available to anyone who can wander into the resort and bypass the gate.

Only PAPs include admission to the water parks. AP holders can purchase discounted tickets for the water parks or they can upgrade to PAPs for a small fee.

Being "courteous" to the illegal pool hoppers is in actuality being discourteous to the people who paid big money to stay at deluxe resorts with well-themed pools. Those guests have every right to expect that the amenity that they are paying for should not be freely available to anyone who can wander into the resort and bypass the gate.

Again, assuming you're a cheater without proof is discourteous - you're innocent until proven guilty around here. How many legitimate people are there compared to pool hoppers that you'd have to annoy a second or third or fourth time depending on how long they're at the pool - after they already scanned their bands to get inside in the first place? You'd annoy far more people than you'd catch in the act. The pool is not freely available anymore. You have to bypass the gate either by finding a sucker (or at least someone ambivalent) to let you in, or climbing over it which WOULD be a safety issue and I bet Disney certainly would step in at that point.

I was there earlier this month and both the Poly and SAB were wide open. No staff watching. Gate propped open at Poly, down by the beach by a staff member, and the huge gate and the smaller gates for SAB propped open. I walked into both without any issue. No magic band. We were staying at Bonnet Creek and having dinner at Poly one day, and Boardwalk another. I only walked through as a shortcut to bathroom and I wanted to see if they would say anything. They didn't and I walked through to the resort and back through on my way out.
When we do stay on property, I don't concern myself with it. I'm there to enjoy my vacation and not brood over which people entering through the gates are actually staying at my hotel. I don't have time for that and neither does Disney. It's my choice to enjoy my vacation, whether the pool is crowded or not.

I have no idea, I think that's the premium pass but I'm not sure to be honest. But like I said this friend is not the type to pay anything extra she doesn't have to. So I imagine she'd find it cheaper for her to just crash a resort pool. I'm not saying all locals are like her--likely most of them aren't. But if there are enough that are, I can see it being a problem for people that pay to stay at the Disney resorts.

Again, assuming you're a cheater without proof is discourteous - you're innocent until proven guilty around here. How many legitimate people are there compared to pool hoppers that you'd have to annoy a second or third or fourth time depending on how long they're at the pool - after they already scanned their bands to get inside in the first place? You'd annoy far more people than you'd catch in the act. The pool is not freely available anymore. You have to bypass the gate either by finding a sucker (or at least someone ambivalent) to let you in, or climbing over it which WOULD be a safety issue and I bet Disney certainly would step in at that point.
Personally, I have no problem having my MB or room card scanned by a CM more than once if that's what it takes to keep the pool area limited to the people who rightfully belong there. I don't see this as being discourteous. I see it as enforcing their own rules. There are plenty of beaches on the Jersey Shore that require you to purchase and display a tag in order to use their beaches. They have people patrolling the beaches and they will ask you to show them your beach tag if it isn't visible. The only people who find this annoying are the people who didn't pay for a beach tag.

Personally, I have no problem having my MB or room card scanned by a CM more than once if that's what it takes to keep the pool area limited to the people who rightfully belong there. I don't see this as being discourteous. I see it as enforcing their own rules. There are plenty of beaches on the Jersey Shore that require you to purchase and display a tag in order to use their beaches. They have people patrolling the beaches and they will ask you to show them your beach tag if it isn't visible. The only people who find this annoying are the people who didn't pay for a beach tag.

I'd be annoyed if I kept getting interrupted, personally, so I suppose thats just where we differ since I'm also paying to be there. A tag or wristband would be the best since then they don't have to keep checking, but it doesn't sound like those have worked well in the past since they stopped doing it. It seemed to work well enough at Aulani!

I thought all beaches were public though, so that certainly shows what I know! Hawaii & Washington are similar to us, but I guess it makes sense that if there are rules granting it here, there must be rules against it elsewhere.
"The Oregon Beach Bill decreed that all land within sixteen vertical feet of the average low tide mark belongs to the people of Oregon and guarantees that the public has free and uninterrupted use of the beaches along Oregon's 363 miles of coastline. A state easement exists up to the line of vegetation."

I still think the best solution would be for ALL PEOPLE to just follow the darn rules, pool hoppers and paying guests holding the door open alike.

Just curious - you would ask someone where they are staying when you are speaking with them at the pool? Isn't it assumed that they would be staying at the Poly if they are at the Poly pool? I would think that was a strange question coming from someone I am meeting at the pool. I'd be thinking, "duh!"

I would probably ask how they like the Poly and what building are they in.

I'd be annoyed if I kept getting interrupted, personally, so I suppose thats just where we differ since I'm also paying to be there. A tag or wristband would be the best since then they don't have to keep checking, but it doesn't sound like those have worked well in the past since they stopped doing it. It seemed to work well enough at Aulani!

I thought all beaches were public though, so that certainly shows what I know! Hawaii & Washington are similar to us, but I guess it makes sense that if there are rules granting it here, there must be rules against it elsewhere.
"The Oregon Beach Bill decreed that all land within sixteen vertical feet of the average low tide mark belongs to the people of Oregon and guarantees that the public has free and uninterrupted use of the beaches along Oregon's 363 miles of coastline. A state easement exists up to the line of vegetation."

I still think the best solution would be for ALL PEOPLE to just follow the darn rules, pool hoppers and paying guests holding the door open alike.
We don't live in a perfect world. The number of people who feel the rules do not apply to them seems to be on the rise. That's why Disney had to ban selfie sticks all together instead of just asking people to refrain from using them on the attractions.

And chances are pretty good in a pool area as small as the Poly's, you would only be asked to veiify your MB once and the CM would remember you for the remainder of your day at the pool, much like the beach patrol member in NJ (where the beaches are public but not necessarily free) would remember you as they repeated their rounds through their assigned area. You would not "keep getting interrupted" to show your beach tag every time they swept through.

On a past stay at the Poly, my family was in the (old) Poly pool and there were two other family groups nearby. The Dad from one of them distinctly said within earshot (paraphrased here): "Yeah, we're staying over at the Sheraton this time. This is our Magic Kingdom day, but we planned to take this break and hop the monorail over here for a swim."

During our past Poly stays, we've heard the similar things. Usually while sitting on the beach, under the clam shells.

I'm not going to go around policing who is at the pool. That said its very annoying when the pool is crowded and there are people who are not staying at the resort. I'm sure there have been plenty of times I've not even realized what was going on. sometimes it is very clear though. I've been sitting next to large groups who openly discuss getting swimsuits from the car to change in the bathroom or talk about "going back to the hotel". I've never done anything about it but it does bother me. It would never even occur to me to just go swim at a hotel where I was not a guest.

Okay....the dessert thing is just too funny (kinda sad actually.) I do hope there are not a lot of annual pass holders that feel the same way. I'd love to live close enough to be an annual pass holder. But....I love staying onsite...it's all part of the vacation for me. I hope everyone gets to enjoy the pool no matter whether there are pool hoppers there or not!

Since this is my first time at Poly, I've been following this thread daily. I never imagined this would be an issue. I usually stay at POP and love the quiet bowling pin pool, which is never crowded. So...this is going to be very different and I hope not in a negative way. It sounds like the pool is so overcrowded that it is not enjoyable. I hope this is wrong because I may not want to stay at Poly again because of this. I will tell you that I am going to be very alert (ears perked) for people saying they are staying elsewhere. I will report them to the CM....for sure. Has anyone reported a family and had the CM go up to them to inquire as to where they are staying?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter