The Poly Pool Gate Debate

I have been a regular annual guest at the Poly since the 70's. Pool hopping has always been a problem there for many reasons. But the prevailing problem is the Poly management's refusal (for whatever reason) to effectively stop it. They have made half-hearted attempts in the recent past, like handing out bracelets, etc. Even now with a fenced in pool that requires a magic band to enter they refuse to have a CM on duty at each entrance to insure that only Poly guests can enter. Why is the management at SAB the only ones that care about this issue?

well when you ask where they are staying - I do that alot. they say they are not staying at any WDW resorts but in a hotel offsite. this happens more at OKW than the Polyn.

also if at the quiet pool - they come with a bunch of stuff - picnic basket - plus some even have their clothes. they put sunscreen on the kids when they arrive - I do it 20 minutes before hand - during it last minute it does not work for 20 minutes.

little things. but mostly they will tell you that they are not staying there.

ask where other guests are staying - because always interested in WDW or DVC resorts and noisy enough to ask if they like where they are staying. It starts a bunch of conversations.

Just curious - you would ask someone where they are staying when you are speaking with them at the pool? Isn't it assumed that they would be staying at the Poly if they are at the Poly pool? I would think that was a strange question coming from someone I am meeting at the pool. I'd be thinking, "duh!"

It is the proximity to MK which makes pool hopping at GF, Poly & CR an issue. I think the fencing has helped, but if a family is determined to get in they will find a way.

I did tattle once during my stay. It was very busy at the pool when a family of 7 took up seven loungers right next to me. They decided to go swimming at the Poly before their Ohana reservation. The family was saying that it was crazy what people paid to say here and they could vacation in real Fiji for so much less. The grandfather then said this pool was so much nicer than their pool at Pop. I only tattled after he started grumbling about how I was taking up an entire shaded table to myself. Yes, I was alone at that table while my daughter played in the pool. I paid for the privilege. I got up to refill my mug and informed a life guard on my way out. They were gone when I came back.

*** Disclaimer: I did not leave my almost 10yo DD alone swimming in the pool. She was out of the water doing pool games. I told her I was refilling my mug and told her to stay out of the water until I came back. ***

Okay, I am glad you did tattle under the circumstances!

ughhh.... I never even thought about this. I want to stay at the Poly next year during a busy time. Last year we stayed at the YC and it was smooth how they check you and give you a band when you go in.
At least you know when you have trouble finding where to sit, that its all people who belong there. Kudos to the lady who had enough of the people taking up all the space and giving her a hard time about the table.
I never considered that people could be doing this before dinner or after. All of this pool hopping seems like it would be one big PITA if you were doing it. But I suppose it's easier for the people who have cars and are there for a dining reservation to pull it off. I hope they smarten up and have a CM checking bands when we go.

Just curious - you would ask someone where they are staying when you are speaking with them at the pool? Isn't it assumed that they would be staying at the Poly if they are at the Poly pool? I would think that was a strange question coming from someone I am meeting at the pool. I'd be thinking, "duh!"
It's a very common thing for folks we run into at WDW to ask or chat about where we/they are staying. At a pool such as the one at the Poly, the question might change to "Which building are you in?".

I'm very curious to see how this works in August. We have stayed at BC and they way it is handled at SAB was great. Wristbands at the time, because they were just testing Magicbands. Staff was very polite and after they saw you once, they didn't even look at the bands.

If I see it is a problem at the pool, I would not necessarily bring it up with the lifeguards, but with management, indicating it is a problem they need to fix.

I would think the gate and MB might be enough to deter most hoppers

well we have never meet.

always ask where they are staying - do they like it? would they recommend it, etc. mostly I heard about problems with the hotel - few say they love it. but it definitely starts conversation - which is what I want.

DVC members are allowed to pool hop. It's not a totally goofy question. :)

Yes, but not to SAB or the main pool at the Poly.

I know that - but it definitely starts a conversation - which is what I want. people are generally more than willing to talk about the hotel they are staying at - and most people are honest and if staying somewhere else they say it (guess they don't always think when talking)

disney only has disney to blame - back when the value resorts were new and Disney had trouble attracting guests to them - for (I think a couple of years it might have only been one) they opened all the pools to any onsite guest. It does not matter if they only did this for a short period of time. It started alot of the pool hopping with onsite guests (not DVC member who can hop)

the reason that slb has more problems than vol pool - because even offsite guest can walk over to SLB from Epcot - disney should have seem this problem long before they did.

to get to Pol from the MK you must monorail or take the ferry or boat - it is more difficult.

Just returned from first stay at the Poly, and did not see overcrowding or groups of people gathering at the gates waiting to run in and use the pool. I will admit I was not concerned about it either so didn't pay a lot of attention to magic bands or other signs that they didn't belong. There were however always plenty of chairs and towels. My guess would be that the reason Disney does not post a guard at the gate is because the gate itself is working.

I wonder why they just don't start issuing the bracelets at the Poly like at SAB? I mean if they didn't want to go to the full blown means they do at SAB, could they just not start issuing bands when you check in? One for each person in your room?

Oh Boy! I am guilty of pool hopping. But had I known or read the signs I would not of done it. So needless to say it is the last of the hopping I will do. My DW and DD went back to the room to take a nap, so me and my DS (7 yo) drove over to the Poly to check out the resort and pool. The interesting thing is I told the guard we were there to check out the resort and pool and he handed me a 3 hour pass. We did have MB and I can't remember if someone held the gate for us or if we just went in. We wore our bathing suits and had no other belongings with us. The pool area was quite busy so we just threw our shirts and flip flops in a pile in the corner. We probably spent an hour or so in the pool dried off then spent 30 minutes walking the grounds and 30 minutes checking out the shops. Needless to say in the August heat you dry off pretty quickly. We then hopped back into the car and headed to our hotel. While it was rule breaking I do feel a little better knowing I did not tie up any of the lounge chairs. lol

T
Oh Boy! I am guilty of pool hopping. But had I known or read the signs I would not of done it. So needless to say it is the last of the hopping I will do. My DW and DD went back to the room to take a nap, so me and my DS (7 yo) drove over to the Poly to check out the resort and pool. The interesting thing is I told the guard we were there to check out the resort and pool and he handed me a 3 hour pass. We did have MB and I can't remember if someone held the gate for us or if we just went in. We wore our bathing suits and had no other belongings with us. The pool area was quite busy so we just threw our shirts and flip flops in a pile in the corner. We probably spent an hour or so in the pool dried off then spent 30 minutes walking the grounds and 30 minutes checking out the shops. Needless to say in the August heat you dry off pretty quickly. We then hopped back into the car and headed to our hotel. While it was rule breaking I do feel a little better knowing I did not tie up any of the lounge chairs. lol
Thanks for sharing your story. It takes courage to do that on this site and I'm glad to hear from someone who has done it and more especially why you did it. I do think there are circumstances that warrant a look see and even a try it out. It's good to know that the CM handed you a pass. There was another poster in here somewhere asking about meeting up with their cousins, who were staying at another resort, so they could have a swim together. I also think this is fine. Some people will disagree. I think some flexibility is okay. I do understand that folks would be irritated with someone going to the park for the day and then deciding to use a pool resort. I don't think that's okay or an exception. And people who think they are getting away with something, bragging at poolside is simply rude. And....if a pool is crowded, then the exceptions should take into consideration that factor. I'll always go with flexibility over rigidity, every time. It just seems more reasonable. I think there are exceptions to every rule in life.

Just returned from first stay at the Poly, and did not see overcrowding or groups of people gathering at the gates waiting to run in and use the pool. I will admit I was not concerned about it either so didn't pay a lot of attention to magic bands or other signs that they didn't belong. There were however always plenty of chairs and towels. My guess would be that the reason Disney does not post a guard at the gate is because the gate itself is working.
I hope this fixes any problem. Glad it did not seem crowded.

I have NEVER seen this, they are not walking around with a list with names and room numbers...so many issues with that, from privacy and safety issues to just not practical to have a list of 100's if not 1000's of guests at a resort.

Prior to MB's CM's would ask for room keycard they could tell from it what resort you are staying. They would give you a wrist band. They have done this at multiple resorts but usually only during peak or holiday's.
You are absolutely wrong. I was there and they did it MANY TIMES. Are you calling me a liar?

You are absolutely wrong. I was there and they did it MANY TIMES. Are you calling me a liar?

:rotfl2:Wow thems fighting words.... Simmer down now. I would never call you a lair...to your face... ( just using humor here). If you had that had happen multiple times so be it. I have had my room key checked many times. I find it very peculiar that they would have a cm walking around with a list of every guest at the boardwalk DVC and Boardwalk inn for example or at art of animation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter