The open October 2015 pre-trip report

Hard to believe we will be starting our FW stay 2 weeks from today. I'm beginning to stock the freezer for our DD19 and DS17 so they will not starve during our absence. Our DD21 is home this weekend so we are preparing a chicken dinner tonight. Next weekend is Thanksgiving here in Canada so we will entertain our extended family. With any luck there will be some leftovers to add to the above mentioned freezer.
I am enjoying reading the trip reports and pre- trip reports, helps to whet the appetite. Hope to meet some fellow Disers while we are at FW. To those who are at FW now enjoy your vacation and to those beginning your travels in the near future I wish you a safe journey.

Just a little update. Car is detailed and every nook and cranny is stuffed full. We will be heading out of here at about 10:30 tonight. :drive: I am getting ready to take a little nap while DW finishes cleaning and then picks up DD 17 from work.

This will be my last post in this thread, my next post will be in the Oct. live trip thread. Everyone travelling be safe and I cant wait to be "Home" bright and early Monday morning. Till then, safe travels. :drive:
Vince

Just a little update. Car is detailed and every nook and cranny is stuffed full. We will be heading out of here at about 10:30 tonight. :drive: I am getting ready to take a little nap while DW finishes cleaning and then picks up DD 17 from work.

This will be my last post in this thread, my next post will be in the Oct. live trip thread. Everyone travelling be safe and I cant wait to be "Home" bright and early Monday morning. Till then, safe travels. :drive:
Vince
Safe Travels, and enjoy the fort.

Lbmiller77, hope your new tent works well for you. You are good, seam sealing and waterproofing. I noticed you mentioned Governor Dodge in your trip report. Not sure where you are, but we live just 20 miles south of Dodgeville just off 23, on a Dairy Farm. The Fort is our favorite place to vacation, this year, leaving Dec. 27, and staying from the 29th until Jan. 14. Of course, weather may make our departure earlier, to get out of the snow. We have adult sons and a workforce that manage our business! Have a great trip, safe travels. Getting south of Paducah on our first day of travel is always our goal.
Bjschil, we love that area of WI! I currently live in Pewaukee, just west of Milwaukee. We typically take our vacations during early January, but we never seem to get lucky in the weather department so I thought October might be a nice change of pace. Hopefully, you will have better luck. Our driving plan is to make it to Evansville, IN the first day so we can visit friends for the night. Our second day of travel will include a quick stop in Cave City, KY to visit Dinosaur World, and a night in Perry, GA. I really want to leave Perry early in the morning, but my son's willingness to get back in the car may delay those plans. Thank you for the well wishes and hope you have a great trip as well!

Got all the clothes packed into the camper and the frozen items are already packed in the fridge. Got all the tires checked and air pressure set to max. Tomorrow I'll get the truck cleaned out and washed.

Put the fresh water tank to 1/3 full so we'll be able to use the bathroom on the way down since I won't have to be stopping at any truck stops for fuel (thank goodness...)

I keep hearing this sound in the background...it almost sounds like music...but not Disney music...it's something else...

Got the Brahma Bull (that's what my youngest calls my truck) cleaned out today, but wasn't able to get it washed yet. Forgot I had some pecks in the windshield and elected to go have those fixed instead. I'll get it washed tomorrow. The clothes are all packed up now and the gas bottles have been topped off.

Oh yeah, I took the farm truck and picked up the squirrel feed for this year's trip. I hope it's enough...

IMG_0001 (7).JPG

The live trip report thread is getting me jumpy. I got this twitching in my tail...uuhh...I mean leg that just won't go away. Like it's trying to push a pedal or something...like I should be heading East...

There's that music in my head again...I just can't quite put my finger on what it is...

Tiggerdad, a few post back you asked about the Wildwood travel plaza, the fuel islands are open and fuel was: 2.22 reg.
and 2.52 diesel. The turkey Lake plaza was : 2.07 reg. and 2.43 diesel. That was Monday morning.

Thanks Vince. I'm crossing my fingers for a non-fuel stop trip down. Gonna see how I do with this reserve tank. That's not too far off, but the Pilot in Wildwood is a little cheaper as of now.

The Brahma Bull is washed and the tables, chairs, easy-up, and DVDs for the kids are all loaded up. Food is packed in. Wife just has to put her 1/2 ton of clothes in the camper and we're all packed out. Gotta work this evening until midnight and the official vacation celebration will beg...

...there's that music again...I can almost make out the lyrics...the beat is pretty good...reminds me of...Jerry Reed...

Anyway, when I get off I'm going to top off the two tanks with diesel. Can get diesel here in Meridian for $2.09 a gallon. DEF fluid is already topped off.

Wife just has to put her 1/2 ton of clothes in the camper and we're all packed out

:rotfl2:That calls for a extra round on the sway bar!

So its about time to be "East Bound and Down loaded up and truckin!!"

BTW Michael are you gonna take Hwy 45 or are you going to try Hwy 63? Gotta love how Alabama trails Mississippi on roadway planning..

Last edited:
Wife just has to put her 1/2 ton of clothes in the camper and we're all packed out.

:surfweb: Mmmmmmm...

Only a half ton? Sounds like she cut back. Maybe she's planning to try out those new fangled, high tech washing and drying machines. :laundy:

Seriously, I'm just going to sit here and follow along...:bored:

Bama Ed

Finally! It's hit the road day!

We are officially packed in, fueled up, hooked up, and ready to roll out of the driveway as soon as the oldest gets home from school.
IMG_0001 (8).JPG

While I was at work last night I noticed my throat was trying to get sore and my nose was starting to burn a little, a sure sign a cold is coming on. When I got home I consulted my Cabinet...

...More specifically my Liquor Cabinet...

and proceeded to practice advanced medical treatment of myself for this condition. Today it is no worse, but I have to refrain from consulting the Cabinet today due to driving, so looks like just some Mucinex and Motrin. It ain't stopping me.

Randy,
We will be taking Hwy 45 down to Mobile, even with that ignorant stretch of 2 lane it is still faster for us to go that way. I'll blow my horn on the way through later this evening.

Oh yeah, Randy, you finally helped me get that last clue about figuring out that song I keep hearing. Now I can hear the words clearly. Great driving music.

Come on everybody! You know the words, don't be shy...

"Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'
We're gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm eastbound just watch ol' Tiggerdad run..."

Burt smiling and leaving.gif

Talk to ya on the October Live Trip Report!

:rotfl2:Safe travels my friend, looking forward to reading along on this...

....just sit right back and watch ol' tiggerdad run..... :drive:

Now I have that song is stuck in my head!

Last edited:
My one and only pretrip report: For the first time (ever) I have 2 bags already packed. The food is in containers to be loaded into the SUV tomorrow. I don't have as much to pack as you guys who are actually camping, but since I am a champion over-packer, as is DD, the Yukon will be full! Wish I had a camper, maybe next time. Got a wedding tomorrow night, then leaving early Saturday morning (with 2 passengers who will either still be tipsy or hungover). Should prove to be an interesting trip down I75! Hopefully the passengers will sleep most of the way. Safe travels to everyone! See you at the Fort!

Last edited:
Safe travels Tiggerdad. Don't forget to pack the squirrel peace offerings in the Bull. :squirrel::squirrel::squirrel::squirrel:

Well Everyone I officially retired Sept 30th. Now we have 20 Days and counting until our celebration trip to Disney. Can hardly wait to get my new 5'ver to the Fort. We're bringing a lot of decorations and candy. Hoping for the 700 loop. I was able to score an extra day. Now checking in on the 29th and staying until Nov 8th.

Good evening, everyone. We've been wide open this week, and no wifi at the site. I'll catch up tomorrow - unfortunately, it will be back home in Statesboro and not at the Fort.

Just did a last night decorations ride-around and spotted TiggerDad's site in 900 Loop. Sorry that we'll be leaving 852 tomorrow. We've been in a very festive neighborhood.

It's been a great week. Looking forward to sharing with y'all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter