• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official What's For Dinner thread: - Part 4

Aimee - I hope you're feeling a little bit better today. Congratulations on your upcoming ordination!

Laura - :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for Caili. I'm so glad they beat that darned book.:laughing:

WFD - Roast Beef Po-Boys and Sweet Potato Fries.

a couple more photos. This is a grilled cheddar and chutney sandwich that DH and I split late last night:

2209484024_b373454cb6.jpg

and here is the ice cream sundae I made for Liam:

2208688395_1b66ecb093.jpg

Haven't figured our dinner yet...I have the day off today and I have a lot of leftovers to use up.

Wow, Beck, I am glad you didn't have Liam come home last night after eating that thing! :laughing:

My mom is bringing me some fish chowder when she drops off Liam, so that is what is for dinner tonight. It is freezing here today, and we have a couple hours in the ice rink this afternoon, so chowder will be perfect.

Thanks, to all of you for the good luck wishes and congratulations to Caili. She did place first in her individual event -- she was so excited she was jumping around and telling everyone about her medal. She is usually pretty quiet at the rink, so everyone was surprised at how vocal she was this weekend. Her team also got first place (they beat the book this time!) and deserved it. They really came together and skated well. She only got third in her other event, but it ran an hour late and I think she was just ready to leave at that point. In fact, her coach came running down the walk as we were making our way to the hotel saying that the bus was waiting for us.

Lake Placid is pretty, and it was a good experience, but I'm not sure how eager we will be to return. For the most part, we traveled six hours, and the individual skaters and the teams competed against the same kids we compete against here, with a few different competitors here and there. It was a little baffling. I would go back for a different week, but I don't think we would go back for this particular competition.

As for the food, we liked the restaurant near our hotel, Charlies, although it was overpriced. The food was good, though. We had blueberry pancakes one morning that were delicious. I also had a chicken dish with an herb infusion and a sauvignon blanc reduction that was very good. Unfortunately, my stomach wasn't 100 percent for most of the weekend, so I couldn't enjoy the food as much as I normally would. Caili basically stuck with grilled cheese.

Glad to hear you all had a good trip & Caili did so well!:goodvibes

Lindsay, And us Southerners are miserable with weather in the 30's overnight & just climbing into the low 50's today! 15 sounds really cold!

I just wanted to stop in and thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers...they mean so much to me.
We are all still in shock here, and it just hasn't hit home yet. I am just so sad.
I find comfort in the fact that we all had a chance to talk to her once more, and now she is finally at peace.....but my goodness, do I miss her something terrible, just takes my breath away.

I hope everyone is doing well. Again, thank you all so much for just being you!

Just popping in - saw the doc this morning, he thinks it's pneumonia. Chest xray results will be in tomorrow morning but he's treating it as such. My breathing is getting worse and worse =( I am leaving in about 20 minutes to go get my mom from the airport.

I had big plans to cook some nice meals for mom but I am not planning on cooking anything anytime soon. I do have an appetite, just not much strength to eat, so maybe we'll get something out.

I decided on dinner...I am going to take the leftover grilled vegetables from the veggie sandwich and saute them, add in the leftover chicken from the other night, make some pasta and a pesto cream sauce, and mix all that together. I am also going to make some garlic bread.

Just a quick post to let you all know that my mom passed away this afternoon around 12:15.
I had called at midnight to check on her and she was having a really rough night, and they called my dad in at 8am this morning. My brother is going to fly down to take care of the cremation, and her remains are being shipped to me in Maine....we will take care of her wishes this spring or summer, when everyone can get here. She wants her ashes buried at the family cemetary, and a few ashes scattered in a special place in Acadia National Park.
I will go do a small obit. tomorrow at our local newspaper.
I am so happy we all had the week we did with her..Thursday we talked for 20 min.
I am very numb right now, as things were looking so good.
My heart breaks for my brother as it is his b-day today....I know I didn't want it on mine, but I sure as hell didn't want it on his either.

Wendie - I'm so very sorry for your loss. I didn't even get on the computer yesterday afternoon, so I didn't see this until now. Please know that you are all in my prayers. :grouphug:

Anyone hungry I had a Birthday Party for Tom and I had about 20 ppl here, but I think I made lasagna for about 50! LOL We have meaty lasagne, cheesy lasagna, and chicken and broccoli lasagna! mmmmmm Come on in I have a fridge full of lasagna left overs!

Send some my way! Think it would make it all the way to Utah? I love to eat lasagna, but am way too lazy to make it for myself! The chicken and broccoli sounds amazing!

I have to say I'm looking forward to mom being here. DH is NOT compassionate at all, though he did bring me food so I didn't have to get up. Maybe I was pathetic enough?

You are not intruding - I have not shared, mainly because I am always afraid someone will make a remark about it. :sad1: My church is ordaining me on Wednesday night. I am very nervous about it, but excited too. I really need to be 110% by then. We are still firming up the service so I'll have to just call the pastor tomorrow and discuss some of it from home.

Aimee - this is HUGE!!! Congratulations!!! What a wonderful thing for you! I'm so very proud of you. We know how hard you have worked for this! You should be so excited and proud of yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers for a complete recovery by Wednesday night! Oh, I wish I could be there with you to celebrate in person, but you can be sure that I'm cheering for you here in Utah!

Congrats to Caili!!! How happy she must be that she got a first place, and beat the book as well!!!

Well, I was planning on heading to the store today to do the week's shopping, but we woke up to a blizzard this morning. I'll post some pictures later and you can see what we're dealing with. I detest the snow!!! It's worse now, since we live right at the base of a mountain, so we get all the mountain weather. Ick!!! The kids are stuck in the house, too, since it's a holiday, and they are going stir crazy!!! Oh well.

Since I'm not going anywhere, I decided to defrost some ground turkey and make Poor Man's Stroganoff for dinner. The kids will like it, and it will be warm and comforting.

We had Thai Peanut Chicken for dinner last night, and it was seriously yummy! I'm including the recipe for anyone who wants it:

Thai Peanut Chicken

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
1 bottle Thai peanut sauce (in the Oriental section of the grocery)
2 medium carrots, sliced (3/4 cup)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)
1 cup uncooked converted white rice (I used brown)
2 1/4 C. water
1/4 C. chopped peanuts
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 C. chopped red bell pepper, if desired

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place chicken in cooker. In medium bowl, mix peanut sauce, carrots and onions; pour over chicken.

Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.

Cook rice in water as directed on package; spoon onto serving platter. With slotted spoon, remove chicken from cooker; place over rice. Pour sauce from cooker over chicken. Sprinkle with peanuts, cilantro and red pepper.

I left off the cilantro and red pepper, since my kids don't like them. This was really good. I was afraid it would be too spicy for my kids, but they ate it up and asked for more! Picky eater Jacob even asked me to put the recipe in my permanent file!

Ok, here are some pictures of the storm that blew in this morning. Keep in mind that as of yesterday we had only 1/2 an inch on the ground.

DSCN2603.jpg

DSCN2604.jpg

Hello everyone. The frigid temps have eased somewhat. The air temp are above zero but the wind chill is still near zero, we are currently getting some snow. I can hardly wait for summer or at least spring. I'm tired of dressing in layers I feel like the little boy in Christmas story.

Aimee We are soo proud of you how could you keep such important news from us.:woohoo: I hope you start to feel better by wednesday.

Glynis I'll have to try that chicken recipe we like Thai here.

Tonight we are having leftover Chili.

Aimee - Please take care of yourself, hopefully you'll be feeling better on your big day.:hug:

I just have to stop by and thank Becky and Laura's Mom for her beef cooking guide. It has been years since I cooked a beef roast like this, I generally stick with prime rib and only on special occasions so I was a little rusty. I think the flour coating was the secret because it was tender and juicy, perfectly seasoned and the crust resembled the crust on a nice rib eye roast.

I use a convection roast so I reduced the cooking time about ten minutes to compensate and it was perfect. Ladies, give your Mom a big hug from Buddy. He said dinner was too good for a weeknight :lmao::lmao::lmao:Then he said that he was so full but he wanted to keep eating :thumbsup2. I don't hear this often so your Mom is his hero!

Aimee Pneumonia! :sick: Thank goodness your Mom is here! Please let her care for you, you need to rest up. You are in my thoughts!

Lori - Good to see you girl! I hope you and Rick get to feeling better soon. It must be miserable trying to move and fight pneumonia at the same time. As for your embroidery business, are you still planning on operating some from your residence? I ask because my brother and his wife are having their first baby in July and I'm sure I'll pick up a gift or two ;) for the new baby.

Way to go Big Blue!

I am glad everyone enjoyed seeing the real me in the pics I posted!!! ;)

Aimee, Hope you are feeling better...what an honor that you are being ordained. I am very proud of you.

Great Job Caili!!!

Lori, So nice to see you back. Sorry you guys have not been feeling well and been busy on top of it. I didn' know you did embroidery...what exactly do you do? Do you have anything for a baby? My friend just had a baby and I would be interested in a gift...maybe for the brother and sister too.

Just drop me a line when ya'll are ready, I've got lots of infant stuff- pink and blue. Even some teal and yellow for the "not sure"s. And Lauren, not sure how old the siblings are but I just did a "go-go" bag for my cousin's kids and they liked them. Not as racey as it sounds:rotfl2: Like an older kids travel bag- snack baggies, hand sanitizer, notepad/pen, some toys- Actually my travel bag has about the same things in it!:lmao: But it had "Tucker's Go-GO Bag" and a plane (that's his thing) on it and his sister's had a puppy.

But there's loads of stuff here so let me know what cha might want.

Aimee- Congrats to you! That's alot of work you've put in and I'm very proud of you too.

Tonight I made Shepard's Pie plus another one to freeze and two meatloaves for the freezer. Found out last night Rick doesn't care for Chinese Five Spice. How disappointing.:rotfl:

Tonight it's leftover black bean soup and cornbread.

WFD at your house?

Hi! What I did was this: preheated my oven to 400 degrees. Then, I heated up a half and half mix of butter and oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Not too much...maybe 1 tsp. of each. Then, when the oil got really hot and started to smoke, I seared the steak on both sides until browned...not too long...maybe two 1/2 minutes a side.

Then. I put the skillet with the steak still in it right into the hot oven, and cooked it until it reached 115 degrees (about 10-15 minutes for a 5 oz. steak). I then took the steak out of the oven and out of the pan, put it on a cutting board, covered with foil, and let rest until it reached 120 degrees minimum (around 5-10 minutes resting time). That will give you the juicy red but heated through meat you see in my photo.

When the steaks are as thick as this one, I cook with a meat thermometer as opposed to touch. But, if you don't have a meat thermometer, another way to know when it is done is this: place in oven as I said, and then keep touching it every couple of minutes. When the meat feels like the fleshy pad of your plan under your thumb (while it is relaxed), then pull it from the oven. Cover with foil and let rest for a full 10 minutes before slicing.

Thank you SO much! I am going to give this a try! :)

Morning all,

I am throwing beef stew in the crock and serving it with egg noodles.

Just popping in - saw the doc this morning, he thinks it's pneumonia.

Aimee, I hope today finds you a little better and that your Mom is giving you the TLC that you need.

Ok, here are some pictures of the storm that blew in this morning. Keep in mind that as of yesterday we had only 1/2 an inch on the ground.

:scared1: I said last week that I wish we could get one storm that Andrew can go out and play in...I may take that back!

I can hardly wait for summer or at least spring. I'm tired of dressing in layers I feel like the little boy in Christmas story.

:rotfl: I LOVE that movie!

Lori, I'll PM you later to talk about what I may need...thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter