The Official October 2012 Car Rental Thread

The rates have been staying pretty high lately even up to the last minute. My trip is just a little over 2 weeks away and rates are still pretty high. Pretty much double of what I've paid last year.

Last minute specials have been posted and again MCO was not included. I suspect the Columbus Day weekend or high occupancy for this timeframe would be the reason. 16 days to hope for a lower rate. Actually everything is even higher now.

Yep - everyone seems to be higher today except for National who remains the same. I'm quickly losing hope of any change in rate. :worried:

Yep - everyone seems to be higher today except for National who remains the same. I'm quickly losing hope of any change in rate. :worried:

We traveled last year to WDW in October. My car rental rate dropped by almost $100 the day before we were scheduled to leave. This year we are traveling again in October and though I have booked for $160 10/14-10/21 I hope that rate drops as well :)

There is a new $35 coupon today for National. I just switched mine on my current reservation. The code is ND9336ZSN

Hi all. Our trip is Fri. 10/26 (9p) - Tues 10/30 (9a). Using entertainment book code and free weekend day, I had a midsize (EA) with national at $199. Just checked this morning and it dropped to $183.

Alamo remained very high for 4 day trip. ($230ish for midsize).

Also have a back up with dollar - no codes - for intermediate SUV at $173, but we would rather just walk out to the garage than wait in line...

If you join the Dollar Express you can go right out to the garage. I called Dollar and verified that, so we can get a full size car for 138 for 10/6-12 instead of 178 for mid size thru National. First time with Dollar so I hope it works out.

I just got a compact @ National for 10/13-17 for $157 using the Emerald Club contract id & free weekend day coupon from BJs (NF44Z5JDL).

If you join the Dollar Express you can go right out to the garage. I called Dollar and verified that, so we can get a full size car for 138 for 10/6-12 instead of 178 for mid size thru National. First time with Dollar so I hope it works out.

I thought Dollar's Express was just to help eliminate some paperwork at check in? I didn't think you just bypassed the ck-in. If that's right that'd be great- our ressie's with Dollar right now.

Dollar - Today's "city special" plus KISS2 code got me a Premium (Crown Victoria or similar) for a total of $201.79

I thought Dollar's Express was just to help eliminate some paperwork at check in? I didn't think you just bypassed the ck-in. If that's right that'd be great- our ressie's with Dollar right now.

If it's anything like National/Alamo's deal like that, you don't have to check-in inside the terminal but you'll still have to go to the photomat-type stand in the ramp where the cars are. They'll have your info ready there for you. Our rez is w/ Dollar this time too, so we'll soon see. :goodvibes

Dollar - Today's "city special" plus KISS2 code got me a Premium (Crown Victoria or similar) for a total of $201.79

Thanks so much for posting this! I just checked this out and got a mid-size SUV for 10 days for $385, all taxes and fees included, which is about $100 less than the reservation I made a month ago. :cool1:

Is this for a week?

I'm sure it's one of those 5 days or more with a Saturday night stay involved.

On another note.....Wow, the prices for Alamo and National are sky-high right now. I have to guess that Columbus Day weekend is causing it, but just when I think my rate was high when I booked it, it's looking better every day. I'm 2 weeks away today and the car rates have only gone one direction and that is UP. I'll be checking up to the day before, as always.

My current rate is $470 for 15 days (so $235 a week)

I'm sure it's one of those 5 days or more with a Saturday night stay involved.

On another note.....Wow, the prices for Alamo and National are sky-high right now. I have to guess that Columbus Day weekend is causing it, but just when I think my rate was high when I booked it, it's looking better every day. I'm 2 weeks away today and the car rates have only gone one direction and that is UP. I'll be checking up to the day before, as always.

My current rate is $470 for 15 days (so $235 a week)

Funny - I still am getting the same rate thru National. Everyone else's rates keep climbing higher!

Alamo at Tampa has dropped drastically. The first ressie I made about a month ago for 10/3-10/7 was for $205 for an Economy car. It then dropped down to $125, then $110, and now it's down to $88 (those are with taxes included). I've been using the Alamo club ID and the VISA $15 off coupon.

Now, I'm starting to question whether we should stick with the economy car or move up to a mid or full size and spend either $94 or $97 respectively. I could even get a standard SUV for $126 right now.

It's just the 2 of us. We're staying in Clearwater, but we will be making a day trip up to Disney on Thursday. I think we'll be fine in the economy car (plus it'll do well on gas), but I always get that feeling that we should get something nicer.

skeeter31 said:
Alamo at Tampa has dropped drastically. The first ressie I made about a month ago for 10/3-10/7 was for $205 for an Economy car. It then dropped down to $125, then $110, and now it's down to $88 (those are with taxes included). I've been using the Alamo club ID and the VISA $15 off coupon.

Now, I'm starting to question whether we should stick with the economy car or move up to a mid or full size and spend either $94 or $97 respectively. I could even get a standard SUV for $126 right now.

It's just the 2 of us. We're staying in Clearwater, but we will be making a day trip up to Disney on Thursday. I think we'll be fine in the economy car (plus it'll do well on gas), but I always get that feeling that we should get something nicer.

What code are you using for the visa $15 off??

Under 2 weeks and still haven't gotten a better rate than my original reservation. I guess I will just need to accept that I am paying a lot more than usual for this trip. Maybe its an October thing? :confused3 2 weeks with a full sized SUV for $329, one way rental from MCO to FLL. At least I saved enough on airfare that I am still ahead!

How are the rest of you doing?

Got tired of waiting! The following is for October 12th- October 20th. Got Budget but am okay with that. Still much cheaper than what I've been finding. Hope this helps someone! :) Standard car...

Bonus Cash Per Day: $2.63 (per day)
Your Offer Price Per Day: $12.00 (per day)
Total Offer Price with Bonus: $14.63 (per day)
Total Charges to Your Credit Card
Your Offer Price: $12.00 (per day)
Total Rental Days: 8 days(7 days and 15 1/2 hours)
Subtotal: $96.00
Taxes and Fees: $77.33
Total Charges: $173.33
Lowest Published Price: $465.27 (USD)
Total Savings:* $291.94 (USD) (You saved 63%)
* This is your savings on the total cost of your rental car when compared to the lowest published rental car rate available at time of booking for the itinerary and rental car company shown.

Got tired of waiting! The following is for October 12th- October 20th. Got Budget but am okay with that. Still much cheaper than what I've been finding. Hope this helps someone! :) Standard car...

Bonus Cash Per Day: $2.63 (per day)
Your Offer Price Per Day: $12.00 (per day)
Total Offer Price with Bonus: $14.63 (per day)
Total Charges to Your Credit Card
Your Offer Price: $12.00 (per day)
Total Rental Days: 8 days(7 days and 15 1/2 hours)
Subtotal: $96.00
Taxes and Fees: $77.33
Total Charges: $173.33
Lowest Published Price: $465.27 (USD)
Total Savings:* $291.94 (USD) (You saved 63%)
* This is your savings on the total cost of your rental car when compared to the lowest published rental car rate available at time of booking for the itinerary and rental car company shown.

I would consider Priceline, but not sure they do one-way rentals and really only want to deal with the "big" companies....would be very unhappy to get Fox, or Advantage or some-other-such company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter