~~**The Official January 2014 Group**~~

Wow I will have to look into upgrading but thought because we will be so on the go we would only be doing 1 sit down special meal the trip !! As its like fast food right? We are not picky and very low key

Wow I will have to look into upgrading but thought because we will be so on the go we would only be doing 1 sit down special meal the trip !! As its like fast food right? We are not picky and very low key

We really like the sit down Table Service. We usually do some breakfasts and some dinners. The Counter Service Meals are more like the fast food options. The Table Service meals are more restaurant like. I am not really sure how much a meal would be if you just paid for it because we have always had the Dining Plan. I think they are usually like $30-$50 per person per meal?? I really think it is worth it to have the Table Service option each day. I am not sure if you want to do Character Meals but if you plan to do at least two or three then you probably want the Regular Service Dining Plan. One of our favorite meals is Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. It's not a character meal and it's a Thanksgiving Style meal and delicious. I think they have the best Mac N Cheese I have ever tasted and the Turkey, herb stuffing and the biscuits and gravy are Soooooo good. I can't wait to eat there. :)

You can go to the web site Allears.net and check out the menus. They have every single place on that web site and it will tell you exactly what they serve for each meal. :goodvibes

Hello

I am new to this all and was told to come joing this group.

I am going to Disney 05 January-11th January 2014:cheer2:

I have never been before and it is a Christmas gift for my kids.:thumbsup2

I have no clue about the parades fireworks the character dining:confused3

When or if Discounts come out, any word on Magic bands yet?

I have so many questions lol

What will the crowds be like?or the weather? or will christmas decorations still be up. Any ifo would be great

I'm going to be a first timer at WDW in January too! You joined an awesome group. I have gotten a lot of good tips from this group and message board.

I would recommend to buy PassPorter's Walt Disney book. It is awesome! It is all four-color and provides a lot of great information. You can get it at Amazon for around $20...well worth it.

Happy planning!

Keep your eyes peeled here for the S/P/D special that we all hope will be launched this fall. As I understand it, we can get all of our meals/tickets for the price of a young'un. so your upgrade to the DDP would be almost as cheap as the QSDP. I was going to suggest upgrading, but somebody beat me to it!

We like the sit down meal each day and the character dining is awesome. Try out 1900 park fare...GREAT! We took two boys with us the last time and the evil stepsisters were awesome with them. Gives us a great "break" from all of the walking.

If you can score an Ohana reservation, those are great too. Awesome food. They're still available now I think. :cloud9:

I have never been to WDW in Jan. We usually go in Sept/Oct so I am not sure about the decorations or the weather. :confused3

I've been once in January. It was in the middle of the month and I remember wishing that I had packed a sweatshirt! The locals were complaining about it being chilly and they were sporting their wool coats! We are from a northern climate so the 45 degree nights and the 65-70 degree days were awesome for us. We found it hard to think about getting into the pool; however...

We generally go in Sept, so this more temperate climate will be different for us! We're used to 92 degrees and humid while we are in the World. Can't wait for January though! Whoop Whoop! :banana:

I read somewhere that the decorations are left up a little after the first of the year, but I can't remember what date exactly...Maybe the 5th or 6th?

We haven't booked as we are waiting for the money, but we are planning Jan 1-Jan 7. DD(8) and DD(6) will both be having birthdays around that time and it will be our 20th anniversary trip. Right now looking at ASMovies resort with late arrival on Jan 1 and early checkout on Jan 7. That leaves us with five days at the parks. After looking at the crowd calendar I am a bit worried it will be too crowded for us to enjoy it and see enough over those days. Can't stay longer as school starts back on Jan 8 and can't afford earlier. So, my questions are:

1. Is it harder to pack for January weather? (and suggestions please)
2. What parks on what days?
3. Is Epcot worth it for kids? (I personally have only ever done a day there on each of mine and DH's visits 15 years ago)

I bet I have more questions before this is over. Thanks in advance for any willing to answer/advise.

(I just realized I have been a lurker for over 4 years and am just now posting. That is how long we have been trying to plan this vacation.)

1. Is it harder to pack for January weather? (and suggestions please)
2. What parks on what days?
3. Is Epcot worth it for kids? (I personally have only ever done a day there on each of mine and DH's visits 15 years ago)

I

Book now to reserve your rooms. $200 holds it. You can then call in when discounts are released to get those.

1.) nope. Just throw in some jackets.

2.) check the crowd calendars posted online.

3. Epcot is worth it! It's our favorite park! With test track, mission space, and soarin' it's a great place for boys.

Planning a completely amazing (albeit short) surprise trip for our two kids between their birthdays (his Jan 18 and hers Feb 4). We last went down in the fall when daughter was 4 and son was 20 months. Saw crowds are minimal this time of year and knowing my kids and their lack of patience, this is key to success. Planning for January 23 - 27/8 with 3/4 park days at WL bunk bed. Goal is for low key FUN. Cannot wait to pick the kids up from school and head right to the airport!! Debating RO and SPD now as we wait for the discount, but I should book the room now before the promotion is released? Yes? No?

We will be considering the Room Only discount that should also be released in addition to the Stay, Play, Dine. I have booked 3 Table Service meals and depending upon which level resort you stay at, RO discount may also work out better for you. 3 TS meals is plenty for my family over 8 days, we don't like being tied down to a time/place to have to be one time every day for food. And we enjoy our Quick Service meals just as much, as long as you check out the menus ahead of time to see where you can get good/different types of meals that your family will enjoy. I would imagine most people will take the S/P/D discount because they will buy the meal
Plan anyway, but it would cost us more to go that route.

Book now to reserve your rooms. $200 holds it. You can then call in when discounts are released to get those.

1.) nope. Just throw in some jackets.

2.) check the crowd calendars posted online.

3. Epcot is worth it! It's our favorite park! With test track, mission space, and soarin' it's a great place for boys.

Thank you! Would you suggest pants or shorts?

I think I wore jeans mostly the last time I was there...but I'd pack both. I'm also a dress wearer in WDW, so I take those too.

Both! Some years it may be chilly enough for jeans and sometimes it is hot enough to swim. Last January it was 85 every day we were there. I recommend keeping an eye on the weather before you leave.

Okay. So I just have to highlight all the reservations/plans that we have accomplished so far. :)

There are 12 of us in our group. My DH, DD and DS and myself. My sister with her DH, DD, DD, and DS. My brother and my mom and dad.

We are staying at CBR from Jan 17th through Jan 26th. We are staying in the preferred rooms and hoping for Trinidad buildings 31 or 32 but really any of the preferred rooms will be fine. We will be arriving late on Friday night. Our plane lands at 5:10pm so hopefully we will be at the resort and in our room by 6:30pm or 7pm. Depending on the weather and how tired we are we might go swim in the pool but have to wait and see.

On Saturday we might go to Blizzard Beach (once again depending on the weather). The rest of our family will be arriving today and getting checked in. We will all meet up at Chef Mickeys for our 5:50pm dinner reservation. After dinner we will probably go to MK and maybe get in a ride or two before it closes.

Sunday is MK day. We will be getting in a few minutes early because we have 9:10am reservations for the Pirate's League. My 2 kids and my 2 nieces will be getting Pirate makeovers. :) We are planning for a counter service lunch at Be our Guest. We have dinner reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:40pm and my sister and her family will be eating at Ohana at 5:30pm. MK is open for EMH hours till midnight and we are planning to stay in the park late.

Monday is Epcot Day 1 and my niece's 10th Birthday. We have an 8am breakfast reservation at Akershaus in Norway. My favorite breakfast with all the princesses. princess: We will be staying on the ride side so Test Track, Soarin, etc. Lunch will be counter service at the Electric Umbrella (this is still not totally decided). Planning to let my niece decide what she wants to do in the afternoon for her special day and then we will eat dinner back at the resort and have cake and ice cream.

Tuesday is Epcot Day 2 the Countries. We will sleep in and then be there for park opening. My 2 kids have an 11:15am appt at the castle for BBB. My DS is getting the Knight Package and my DD is getting the Crown Package. Then we will go back to the countries and meet up with everyone. My husband, my 2 kids and I have a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table at 5:15pm and the rest of my family will be at Biergarten in Germany for dinner at 6:10pm. We will all meet back at Germany to watch Illuminations.

Wednesday is Animal Kingdom. It is EMH hours so we will be there at 8am to get in the park the extra hour early. This is my favorite park so I am really looking forward to this day. The park will close at 5pm and we have dinner reservations at Rainforest Cafe at 5:15pm

Thursday we are off to Hollywood Studios. We will have counter service for lunch (undecided so far) and the we have the Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic package. So we will have dinner at 5pm and then we will watch Fantasmic at 7pm.

Friday is our free day. We are planning to go over to AOA and walk around all the amazing grounds and then go shopping in Downtown Disney. My husband, kids and I will eat at the resort since we have no Table Service meal (using 2 for CRT). My parents and brother have a reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5pm and my sister and her family are off to Cape May Cafe for dinner also at 5pm. We are planning to get a reservation for the Wishes Dessert Party. Have to wait till end of Nov or early Dec to make this reservation. Never done this before so really want to try it. :cheer2: Epcot is open till midnight for EMH so we might head over there after Wishes.

Saturday is our last day. :sad1: We are back to MK today and then whatever else we want to do. My other niece's birthday is also today and she will be 16!!! We have a breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace at 8:05am. My DH, kids and I will be flying out today at 5:55pm. So we will have to be back at the resort around 3pm for our ride to the airport. We will miss out on the cake and ice cream for my niece's birthday but we want to leave on Sat so that we can have a recovery day on Sunday before everyone is back to work and school on Monday.

The rest of my family will check out Sunday morning and head for home.

Getting so close now. Can't wait to go!!!:dance3:

Both! Some years it may be chilly enough for jeans and sometimes it is hot enough to swim. Last January it was 85 every day we were there. I recommend keeping an eye on the weather before you leave.

We go January every year. Last year beautiful weather... Almost too warm. Two years ago it was in the mid-30's in the evening. WE FROZE. Winter coats and pants all week. In 16 or so previous trips, never had anything close to that... But I'd plan on some pants and light jacket nights.

Hi All, greetings from the UK! Have just booked a trip for 2-11 January. So excited! We have free dining and are staying at Saratoga Springs. Never done free dining before and never stayed at Saratoga Springs! I normally spend months and months planning so feel a little behind as its so last minute! Have booked some dining reservations and done OK - just hoping to bag a BoG cancellation! We ate there in November and loved it! Looking forward to catching up with all your plans!

Okay. So I just have to highlight all the reservations/plans that we have accomplished so far. :)

There are 12 of us in our group. My DH, DD and DS and myself. My sister with her DH, DD, DD, and DS. My brother and my mom and dad.

We are staying at CBR from Jan 17th through Jan 26th. We are staying in the preferred rooms and hoping for Trinidad buildings 31 or 32 but really any of the preferred rooms will be fine. We will be arriving late on Friday night. Our plane lands at 5:10pm so hopefully we will be at the resort and in our room by 6:30pm or 7pm. Depending on the weather and how tired we are we might go swim in the pool but have to wait and see.

On Saturday we might go to Blizzard Beach (once again depending on the weather). The rest of our family will be arriving today and getting checked in. We will all meet up at Chef Mickeys for our 5:50pm dinner reservation. After dinner we will probably go to MK and maybe get in a ride or two before it closes.

Sunday is MK day. We will be getting in a few minutes early because we have 9:10am reservations for the Pirate's League. My 2 kids and my 2 nieces will be getting Pirate makeovers. :) We are planning for a counter service lunch at Be our Guest. We have dinner reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:40pm and my sister and her family will be eating at Ohana at 5:30pm. MK is open for EMH hours till midnight and we are planning to stay in the park late.

Monday is Epcot Day 1 and my niece's 10th Birthday. We have an 8am breakfast reservation at Akershaus in Norway. My favorite breakfast with all the princesses. princess: We will be staying on the ride side so Test Track, Soarin, etc. Lunch will be counter service at the Electric Umbrella (this is still not totally decided). Planning to let my niece decide what she wants to do in the afternoon for her special day and then we will eat dinner back at the resort and have cake and ice cream.

Tuesday is Epcot Day 2 the Countries. We will sleep in and then be there for park opening. My 2 kids have an 11:15am appt at the castle for BBB. My DS is getting the Knight Package and my DD is getting the Crown Package. Then we will go back to the countries and meet up with everyone. My husband, my 2 kids and I have a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table at 5:15pm and the rest of my family will be at Biergarten in Germany for dinner at 6:10pm. We will all meet back at Germany to watch Illuminations.

Wednesday is Animal Kingdom. It is EMH hours so we will be there at 8am to get in the park the extra hour early. This is my favorite park so I am really looking forward to this day. The park will close at 5pm and we have dinner reservations at Rainforest Cafe at 5:15pm

Thursday we are off to Hollywood Studios. We will have counter service for lunch (undecided so far) and the we have the Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic package. So we will have dinner at 5pm and then we will watch Fantasmic at 7pm.

Friday is our free day. We are planning to go over to AOA and walk around all the amazing grounds and then go shopping in Downtown Disney. My husband, kids and I will eat at the resort since we have no Table Service meal (using 2 for CRT). My parents and brother have a reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5pm and my sister and her family are off to Cape May Cafe for dinner also at 5pm. We are planning to get a reservation for the Wishes Dessert Party. Have to wait till end of Nov or early Dec to make this reservation. Never done this before so really want to try it. :cheer2: Epcot is open till midnight for EMH so we might head over there after Wishes.

Saturday is our last day. :sad1: We are back to MK today and then whatever else we want to do. My other niece's birthday is also today and she will be 16!!! We have a breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace at 8:05am. My DH, kids and I will be flying out today at 5:55pm. So we will have to be back at the resort around 3pm for our ride to the airport. We will miss out on the cake and ice cream for my niece's birthday but we want to leave on Sat so that we can have a recovery day on Sunday before everyone is back to work and school on Monday.

The rest of my family will check out Sunday morning and head for home.

Getting so close now. Can't wait to go!!!:dance3:

You have a great line up, just be careful of trying to park hop into MK on MLK day. I thought I read last year on easywdw.com that they park reached capacity.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you're flying United, check your flights. They've apparently moved some flight times around. I read about it on the FB group page, and checked my reservations this morning. Sure enough, they'd switched me from a 6:30 a.m. flight to 8:45 a.m. No warning, no email, no notification of any type.

Of course, this new flight works for me, but I would like to have been sent an email about it...hmmm....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter