The official Free Dining ruins everything thread.

Because guests tip poorly?

I always tip more when I've got free dining. Plus my family tends to order more expensive items when they are "free".

When we don't do the dining plan, we tend to order cheaper items and/or share entrees, which means less tips for the server.

Yep, if everyone keeps making them bring another dish until they get one that is edible, then Disney (who are experts at making profits) will see their profit margin take a hit. Will make them improve the quality of the food? Who Knows? But I'd say its worth a try.

Servers would suffer in that scenario, because unfairly many (not all) would not tip well if this were to happen.

Servers would suffer in that scenario, because unfairly many (not all) would not tip well if this were to happen.

The server is the easiest target, so the server needs to convince the diner that the server is on their side and will do everything in their power to make things right. Won't work on everyone, but will work on most. If the server isn't willing to make that effort than they really aren't exhibiting very good customer service anyway.

I, too, wondered this past trip if servers were tired of free dining. We had the best service I've had In a couple trips, but we were TIW... And that gives them a guaranteed tip. So, while in the past I thought sometimes they didn't work for that tip, this time, we had great service. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw.

I've only been a regular since 2010, but even I think TS quality has decreased. We've still had some good meals, but definitely more just okay food. My normal traveling partner refused to go to our last couple of reservations because his experiences had been blah earlier in the week.

We still love Liberty Tree for lunch, for example. Pot roast was as yummy as ever and he really liked his veggie burger. And the server we had there, he was awesome. But both of us thought the food at Grand Floridian Cafe was not as good this time. I do think American palates have gotten more sophisticated, but I don't think Disney is doing well at catering to that crowd. They seem to be behind the times, serving too much to "the American picky, expecting bland food eater." And I think their methods for doling out QS food is behind the times.

They need a food facelift across the entire resort. Yes, there are still some good meals to be had, but I think more Americans expect more now. The food served at food booths during F&W now is NORMAL choices we see everyday, not exotic choices, and their regular food options haven't caught up.

Oh, we were there last week, btw.

Its not so much the guaranteed grat for the reason servers like TIW, its because they don't have to say NO.
The DP is awful for servers in general, when its free its worse

Yeah, the servers always seemed happy when we told them we weren't on the dining plan. I have to say, the food was generally bad, but the TS servers were all great.

We thought the biggest problem, and this was from QS to TS, was the quality of the meat. Whether it was cold cuts, or chicken, or steak, whatever, there was something wrong with the meat. Over-processed, seemed like it came out of the freezer, chewy, reconstituted, hockey puck, something. It became laughable at a certain point. It reminded me of the meat we would get in college at the dining halls.

The Signatures we went to were different...They were using real meat.

Just a different perspective from a Brit who has enjoyed Free Dining the last 2 trips (August 2011 and 2013). Over here it is offered across dates most of the year, including Summer, and I have no complaints. I couldn't easily get my vacation cheaper without it (no RO discounts that are better.)

It allows me to give myself permission to order expensive things I'd never consider doing OOP. Sticker shock is totally eliminated and I have enjoyed many delicious TS meals - although tend to stick mostly to resort restaurants/DTD rather than in-park. Quality may be decreasing, but it's better than I'd permit myself if I had to order OOP. When I stayed offsite in 2000, I ate at Ponderosa most nights and had a grab-bag of cheetohs for lunch or warm packed lunches put together from Walmart, as Disney prices scared the life out of me!

I tip at least 18-20% every time and don't see why DDP would make people not do that. The suggested amounts are printed right on there on the check. Anyone that ignores that is rude, regardless of what method they are using to pay.

We gave up on the dining plan free or otherwise a long time ago. Just can't stay in front of the bean counters. You can't be the convenience, but they are counting on you not getting the value out of it.

And free dining helps fill the parks during slow seasons and gets you to pay rack for a room. I will take the room discount and pay cash for my food.

I think it was last year, maybe the year before, that they added more participating restaurants. Before that I was able to get decent food at the non participating restaurants. I now look to see who participates and avoid as much of that as I can. I found that signature dining is ok as well, not as good as it used to be but not the inedible things I get at most TS that take the DDP.

I know that as a family of six we automatically have to pay 18% for tip. It annoys me because they make you pay it, it's not based on service. They funny thing is if we weren't forced to pay that 18% we probably would have given a bigger tip. Anyway I didn't think the food was all that terrible but there is only one meal I remember loving the food at. That being said we loved the restaurants though.

So the biggest problem the servers have with the dining plans isn't the tip. It's having to explain to the guests what they can and can't have with it, and the guests tend to give them crap if certain things aren't covered, or they can't substitute items, or they can't get an appetizer in place of dessert, blah blah blah.

Swan and Dolphin = no dining plan = more good restaurants.

I know that as a family of six we automatically have to pay 18% for tip. It annoys me because they make you pay it, it's not based on service. They funny thing is if we weren't forced to pay that 18% we probably would have given a bigger tip. Anyway I didn't think the food was all that terrible but there is only one meal I remember loving the food at. That being said we loved the restaurants though.

You are not forced to pay the 18% tip. If service is bad you can have a quick chat with the manager, and they will reduce or take off the tip. Likewise if you have outstanding service you can adjust up.

Bingo, I've talked to many about it. They absolutely hate it.

Must be a different set of servers that I know then. Without a doubt, they all love the DDp, have the explanations down, and know that they are pretty much going to get a certain size ticket. Most people tip appropriately, they could get stiffed with or without the dining plan. Our experience has been good food, and good service. I don't have to apologize for loving the DDP, nor do I expect anyone else to have to love it. We don't all like the same rides, why would we have to eat the same?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter